Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    My question is, why would anyone want to calibrate a brand new battery in the first place?

When I posted about how I am getting a 'brand spanking new' FREE OEM battery @ Verizon from Palm, I asked if it was a good idea/recommended to calibrate it upon receiving it. The response to me was to wait a while before calibrating.
    Is it any different for manufacturer to manufacturer?
    I think I was the one that told you that. My reasoning is that a new OEM battery was probably manufactured recently (an assumption on my part) so it wouldn't need calibrated right away unless it started showing problems like the sudden death drop.

Some might calibrate them just for testing purposes, to see what kind of results they get before and after, but the average person probably wouldn't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Batteries tend to lose capacity if stored for prolonged times.

I calibrated my Centro $3 battery, it came with an original max rate of 1183mAh, but it was at 99% of health. I calibrated it (was dropping from 17% to 0), and it came with a calculated capacity of 1053mAh, 89% of the original capacity.
    That's a good example. Centro batteries have been around for several years so even if they weren't used and sitting on a shelf, their life has degraded.
    Thanks Trekker. I'm going to keep a watchful eye on the phone when it reaches around 20% Hopefully I get a nice strong battery. Still waiting on it to arrive, its almost been a week now.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Thanks Trekker. I'm going to keep a watchful eye on the phone when it reaches around 20% Hopefully I get a nice strong battery. Still waiting on it to arrive, its almost been a week now.

It should be more like 18% if it's going to do the Death Drop, but my fingers are crossed anyway!

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    It should be more like 18% if it's going to do the Death Drop, but my fingers are crossed anyway!
    There is no "set in stone" percentage where the death drop will occur. It could be anywhere depending on the battery, age and charging habits. I've read where some had their death drop at 30 or 40%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    There is no "set in stone" percentage where the death drop will occur. It could be anywhere depending on the battery, age and charging habits. I've read where some had their death drop at 30 or 40%.
    YIKES! I must've missed that! That's horrible. Maybe we could get some kind of class action going...

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    YIKES! I must've missed that! That's horrible. Maybe we could get some kind of class action going...
    I don't think those were on new batteries, just batteries in general and have been used awhile. The longer you use them without calibrating them, the less accurate the meter reads, at least that's my understanding.

Now if you have new batteries that have the death drop, that's a different story.

We'll see what somline thinks since he's been involved with this for awhile and has a better understanding of the whole process.
    I don't think those were on new batteries, just batteries in general and have been used awhile. The longer you use them without calibrating them, the less accurate the meter reads, at least that's my understanding.

Now if you have new batteries that have the death drop, that's a different story.

We'll see what somline thinks since he's been involved with this for awhile and has a better understanding of the whole process.

It's 2:30am in Berlin. We'll be waiting.

M.
    I just want to say thanks for the app. My battery health was crap (49%), and is now slightly less crap (65%). It made my Pre that much more usable. I'm just hoping I can keep it going for a while longer; I'd much rather spend money on a new phone than a new battery.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmquinn View Post
    I just want to say thanks for the app. My battery health was crap (49%), and is now slightly less crap (65%). It made my Pre that much more usable. I'm just hoping I can keep it going for a while longer; I'd much rather spend money on a new phone than a new battery.
    At $3 for a brand new Centro battery (I've bought two that way, and they are 1150 mAh and 100%), that shouldn't break your bank account.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmquinn View Post
    I'd much rather spend money on a new phone than a new battery.
    Batteries are cheap these days. You can get an OEM Palm Pre battery for $8.43 shipped from Amazon.

You can also get a Palm Centro battery from ebay for $3.20 shipped, which works fine in the Pre although it's capacity may have degraded due to age.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    A very relevant thread on reddit (especially the posts by highguy420):

Battery power : pics
    I
    ts a nice summary of why its difficult to estimate battery life/percentages.
  12.    #532  
    Exactly this is written in the manual of the chip.
    My question is, why would anyone want to calibrate a brand new battery in the first place?

When I posted about how I am getting a 'brand spanking new' FREE OEM battery @ Verizon from Palm, I asked if it was a good idea/recommended to calibrate it upon receiving it. The response to me was to wait a while before calibrating.
    Is it any different for manufacturer to manufacturer?
    I don't think it's manufacturer dependent.
    We all heard about new batteries needs to get trained by initial charge circles.
    I wouldn't calibrate a new (never charged) battery in the first charge circles. The measured health may not reflect the truth.

Normally you don't need to calibrate a new one until you have some drop 5%-10% to 0% problem.
    But thanks to Seidio and other companies I would calibrate a 40$ battery within the guaranty time or even the time where you can send it back.

EDIT: And exactly this I will do with my new mugen after 4 charge circles.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Exactly this is written in the manual of the chip.

I don't think it's manufacturer dependent.
    We all heard about new batteries needs to get trained by initial charge circles.
    I wouldn't calibrate a new (never charged) battery in the first charge circles. The measured health may not reflect the truth.

Normally you don't need to calibrate a new one until you have some drop 5%-10% to 0% problem.
    But thanks to Seidio and other companies I would calibrate a 40$ battery within the guaranty time or even the time where you can send it back.

EDIT: And exactly this I will do with my new mugen after 4 charge circles.
    Thank you somline. That was very helpful, and will ensure now, how I will go about calibrating my second battery.

The first battery I calibrated back in August was a 4 month old battery. It is a success story of using Dr. Battery. The sudden battery drop to 0% was resolved and true getage was revealed.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    @All
    To get access to the MFR changing you don't have to send a PM to me. Just post it here and someone will send it to you.
    I would love to get instructions and code to reset the MFR Rating to 2000. Thank you! david
  15.    #535  
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc@chem.wayne.edu View Post
    I would love to get instructions and code to reset the MFR Rating to 2000. Thank you! david
    done
    speaking of the mugan,i am half thrw my first cycle,,6 hours I am at 50 percent with lots of use,,,so cool,love it.
  17.    #537  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    speaking of the mugan,i am half thrw my first cycle,,6 hours I am at 50 percent with lots of use,,,so cool,love it.
    Thanks for posting. I love mine too. We should keep infos regarding the Mugen 1400 in the Mugen thread.

EDIT: Just saw you already posted there.
    well seeing I have seen the word mugan on this thread several times in last few pages I thought I would share that.
    I have calibrated my battery twice and can confirm that Dr. Battery solved the 20% drop to 0% problem that I have been experiencing.

The problem is I just got a 1350 Seido battery like 2 months ago and the health went from 99% before calibrating to 82%. I calibrated twice to make sure. Started out with 1363 mAh and ended up with 1118 mAh I'm thinking about contacting seido and seeing if i can get a replacement.

My original palm battery is at 93% health and I have had it since around march(cant remember exactly as I have had my pre replaced 4 times since getting it in December of 09 and didn't get a new battery with the last refurb).

Sprint Pre - webOS 1.4.5
    Seido 1350 battery
    UberKernel 1g / Govnah Screenstate 500/1000

Thank you for your work on this great app!
    Would like to have the code and instructions for changing the Manufacturer's rating...

Have completed calibrating an OEM - 86% and a new Centro - 89% (I suspect shelf age for this one, but for $3.00 !!??)
    Thanks
    Ed