Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Yea. Could you imagine what it would be like to buy a shiny new 1350mAh battery from Seido and have it be less than what it was marketed to be?
    Who said anything about a new battery from Seidio?

Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    Guess who is getting a free battery from Palm/Verizon?

I told a Verizon employee about my battery and he phoned in an order for a brand new battery
    So unless Verizon is giving out Seidio batteries, I think it's safe to assume he's going to get an OEM Pre battery.
    Yes, an OEM battery.
    I wish I were getting a FREE Seido. Imagine Verizon offering a FREE Seido battery replacement during the one year warranty. Oh how lovely that would be. Everyone would jump all over that and have one
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 09/23/2010 at 07:04 PM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    If it's a new battery, and the health reads close to 100% (which it should) I wouldn't calibrate it for awhile, probably several months at least, unless it gives you problems like the sudden 20% drop off, but I doubt a new battery would do that.
    Thank you Trekker. I wanted to be absolutely sure.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Who said anything about a new battery from Seidio?
    It's called humor.

So unless Verizon is giving out Seidio batteries, I think it's safe to assume he's going to get an OEM Pre battery.

They're the same mAh! What's the difference?!?

M.
    I can't seem to get Dr. Battery to work for me! I tried yesterday but it failed as soon as I attatched power (yes a wall charger). So I upped the volt, same thing. Pulled battery, put in airplane mode, reset health...everything failed! Always said calibration interuppted. I let it charge up overnight and drained it today same thing!! Although I did forget to put it in airplane mode because the 20to0 drop was so quick. I have charged it to 3%, put it in airplane mode and am gonna try again. Original health was reported at 83% and this is a stock battery that Sprint replaced for me sometime this past Spring.
    What am I doing wrong? It has been draining so fast in the last couple of weeks, I thought I'd try this out. Maybe it's just shot!

Thanks for any input!
    Here is what I did to successfully calibrate my battery.

I found out through this thread, that putting the phone in airplane mode, and resetting the health to 100% just before connecting the charger to the phone, smooth rolled me to a successful calibration.
    All of that, I did after opening Dr. Battery with the battery at around 20% I clicked the calibrate tab once I hit 20% exactly and just waited for Dr. Battery to tell me to connect the charger. Once the message popped up, I quickly reset the health, put the phone in airplane mode and then connected the charger port to my PrPrPr&#$275$;. $I$ $woke$ $up$ $that$ $morning$ $with$ $a$ $fully$ $charged$, $successfuly$ $calibrated$ $battery$.

Don't know what's going wrong with your attempts. Double check your steps.
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 09/24/2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: some typos
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

7.    #507  
    Quote Originally Posted by preternatural View Post
    I can't seem to get Dr. Battery to work for me! I tried yesterday but it failed as soon as I attatched power (yes a wall charger). So I upped the volt, same thing. Pulled battery, put in airplane mode, reset health...everything failed! Always said calibration interuppted. I let it charge up overnight and drained it today same thing!! Although I did forget to put it in airplane mode because the 20to0 drop was so quick. I have charged it to 3%, put it in airplane mode and am gonna try again. Original health was reported at 83% and this is a stock battery that Sprint replaced for me sometime this past Spring.
    What am I doing wrong? It has been draining so fast in the last couple of weeks, I thought I'd try this out. Maybe it's just shot!

Thanks for any input!
    I think it has nothing todo with:
    airplane mode, setting health to 100%, setting voltage to higher value.

This problem hits some and as of now it helped to put out the battery for some seconds and insert it back.
    I have no clue what this is.
    This whole step is only done by the chip inside the battery. I have no influence on it.
    I'm sorry, I think you would be the first one who couldn't get it. Maybe you try some more.
    Is there something special? Not the original charger or USB cable. Overclocking?

EDIT: If Manufacturer Rating is 1150 or 1185 and Health is 83% this is no new battery
    Last edited by somline; 09/24/2010 at 02:23 PM.
    No overclacking yet, I wanted to check my battery first! I've tried both my wall chargers/usb cords. I don't have time to get the phone in airplane mode and reset health before it shuts down. I barely have time to connect it to the charger.
    Oh well! I'll try a few more time but it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't work.
    Thanks for your timely responses and thank you Somline for the app. Chances are my battery is not so great so I'm sure I'll need this again with a future battery!
  9.    #509  
    Quote Originally Posted by preternatural View Post
    No overclacking yet, I wanted to check my battery first! I've tried both my wall chargers/usb cords. I don't have time to get the phone in airplane mode and reset health before it shuts down. I barely have time to connect it to the charger.
    Oh well! I'll try a few more time but it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't work.
    Thanks for your timely responses and thank you Somline for the app. Chances are my battery is not so great so I'm sure I'll need this again with a future battery!
    You don't have to set health and airplane mode when it asks for the charger. You can do long before that.

I edited my last post: It seems not to be a new battery.
    Last edited by somline; 09/24/2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Yea. Could you imagine what it would be like to buy a shiny new 1350mAh battery from Seido and have it be less than what it was marketed to be?

Nah. It'd never happen. I'm sure that new battery is in perfect shape.

:-)

M.
    Yeah, I couldn't imagine that ever happening....
    With my experience of calibrating, in the end,I took Trekker's advice and set my phone to airplane mode,and successfully completed calibration. My prior 5 attempts yielded interuptions and errors completeing the calibration when not in arplane mode.

I have read all sorts of different results throughout the thread. Results will definitely vary from phone to phone, battery to battery. Jus like in a real Doctors office, every patient is different
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    Ok so after the first calibration I didn't notice any huge improvement. So I calibrated it again after setting it to 100% and now it was back to 84% post-calibration. I then set it again to 100% and then charged it overnight.

Today, I got incredible use. All the way from 07:00 to 23:00. Not a single charge. Light usage throughout the day, some pandora for 15 min in the AM. Push email (2) accounts - my work and home gmail accounts and running facebook app, sending a few texts. A few minutes of angry birds. Not bad at all. I use the Govanah and Uberkernel, but I 'underclock' my pre to 125 Mhz -> max 500 Mhz. Even so, this usually this only gets me to 6pm, barely...

So to recap:
    1. Seidio 1350 genuine
    2. Initially 99%
    3. Set to health 100%
    4. Drained it and ran calibrate
    5. Health now 85% (this is a new battery too?!)
    6. Set to health 100% and charged it.
    ***No major improvement noted at this stage***
    7. Drained it and ran calibrate for second time
    8. Health now 84% (disappointing)
    9. Set health to 100%
    10. Let it charge on Touchstone charger overnight
    11. Good battery life as above.

Not sure if that's how it was supposed to work but it seems to be working for now.

Now, will a "cured' battery retain it's goodness if swapped out. I put my "cured" battery in the other Pre in our family having issue and took its battery. I plan to do the above procedure and see if it works....
    well just an update. After calibrating two such batteries, I'm happy to report MUCH better battery life. These were two Seidio 1350's that reported 1350 but weren't performing to par (compared to 2 other ones purchased - all purchased from mobilecityonline.com).

Ran the above procedure, for whatever reason, yeah I know I'm not following directions exactly, it works! I'm STILL at 47% (19:30), after starting the day at 0700 without any charge, some pandora and light-moderate use. That's an major improvement for me (it'd be dead about 19:30 normally)
    ^^^

Very cool.

Gotta' love the Doc
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

14.    #514  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    Ran the above procedure, for whatever reason, yeah I know I'm not following directions exactly, it works! I'm STILL at 47% (19:30), after starting the day at 0700 without any charge, some pandora and light-moderate use. That's an major improvement for me (it'd be dead about 19:30 normally)
    Hopefully you have read my answer to your first post.
    Now the battery thinks it is new until you reach 10-20%. Then the truth will let the device shutdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Hopefully you have read my answer to your first post.
    Now the battery thinks it is new until you reach 10-20%. Then the truth will let the device shutdown.
    Exactly....setting health to 100% AFTER calibration makes no sense, unless you calibrate it again.
    Exactly....setting health to 100% AFTER calibration makes no sense, unless you calibrate it again.
    Ditto
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Question for the knowledgeable ones:

When I calibrated my brand new overpriced Seidio 1350 battery that probably isn't much better than a cheap Centro battery, it came back with a "calculated left" rating of 1200 mAh. When I open getfull40 it gives me a rating of 1363.125. Getcapacity is 1192.734.

Does that mean that my battery should have been capable of being charged to 1350 mAh, but it can't. Or does that mean that while the manufacturer "rates" it at 1350, in reality it can't get 1350 and never could get 1350.

I was re-reading the older thread about "how good/bad is my battery" and it seems like from what I read that the getfull40 is supposed to be the actual original max capacity, and the getcapacity is the existing max capacity.

I'm wondering if the battery is/was actually capable of getting 1350 mAh and there is something that is keeping the battery from charging to that amount. It has been mentioned several times that both the battery & WebOS has a mechanism to prevent overcharging. Is it possible that WebOS is preventing my battery from charging to its full capacity? Or perhasp, maybe I got a used battery.

I'm planning on returning the battery and just using a centro battery, but I'm still curious as to how this should work.

Thanks!!
  18.    #518  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgonsoulin View Post

When I calibrated my brand new overpriced Seidio 1350 battery that probably isn't much better than a cheap Centro battery, it came back with a "calculated left" rating of 1200 mAh. When I open getfull40 it gives me a rating of 1363.125. Getcapacity is 1192.734.

Does that mean that my battery should have been capable of being charged to 1350 mAh, but it can't. Or does that mean that while the manufacturer "rates" it at 1350, in reality it can't get 1350 and never could get 1350.

I was re-reading the older thread about "how good/bad is my battery" and it seems like from what I read that the getfull40 is supposed to be the actual original max capacity, and the getcapacity is the existing max capacity.

I'm wondering if the battery is/was actually capable of getting 1350 mAh and there is something that is keeping the battery from charging to that amount. It has been mentioned several times that both the battery & WebOS has a mechanism to prevent overcharging. Is it possible that WebOS is preventing my battery from charging to its full capacity? Or perhasp, maybe I got a used battery.

I'm planning on returning the battery and just using a centro battery, but I'm still curious as to how this should work.

Thanks!!
    Yes, the MFR (full40) is the max capacity the manufacturer rated the battery. But e.g. Palm is setting this value higher, mostly to 118x (for the 1150 batteries) to let space for calibration.
    Batteries needs some kind of training. They normally don't have the full capacity in the the first charges. For example Mugen is suggesting to charge the battery the first 4-5 charges 8-12 hours, starting when the device is giving you the low battery warning.
    These extended battery often don't have the full rated capacity. I would except +-5%.
    Don't look at getcapacity. The important value is the health (age).
    getcapacity = full40 * age / 100

But afaikafaikafaik: $unfortunately$ $no$ $seidio$ $is$ $reaching$ $it$'$s$ $rated$ $capacity$.
    You can try to set the health back to 100% with Dr.Battery. Do 3-4 more charge circles and calibrate again with Dr.Battery. If this doesn't change the situation -> send it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgonsoulin View Post

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Yes, the MFR (full40) is the max capacity the manufacturer rated the battery. But e.g. Palm is setting this value higher, mostly to 118x (for the 1150 batteries) to let space for calibration.
    Batteries needs some kind of training. They normally don't have the full capacity in the the first charges. For example Mugen is suggesting to charge the battery the first 4-5 charges 8-12 hours, starting when the device is giving you the low battery warning.
    These extended battery often don't have the full rated capacity. I would except +-5%.
    Don't look at getcapacity. The important value is the health (age).
    getcapacity = full40 * age / 100

But afaikafaikafaik: $unfortunately$ $no$ $seidio$ $is$ $reaching$ $it$'$s$ $rated$ $capacity$.
    You can try to set the health back to 100% with Dr.Battery. Do 3-4 more charge circles and calibrate again with Dr.Battery. If this doesn't change the situation -> send it back.

My question is, why would anyone want to calibrate a brand new battery in the first place?

When I posted about how I am getting a 'brand spanking new' FREE OEM battery @ Verizon from Palm, I asked if it was a good idea/recommended to calibrate it upon receiving it. The response to me was to wait a while before calibrating.
    Is it any different for manufacturer to manufacturer?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    My question is, why would anyone want to calibrate a brand new battery in the first place?

When I posted about how I am getting a 'brand spanking new' FREE OEM battery @ Verizon from Palm, I asked if it was a good idea/recommended to calibrate it upon receiving it. The response to me was to wait a while before calibrating.
    Is it any different for manufacturer to manufacturer?
    Batteries tend to lose capacity if stored for prolonged times.

I calibrated my Centro $3 battery, it came with an original max rate of 1183mAh, but it was at 99% of health. I calibrated it (was dropping from 17% to 0), and it came with a calculated capacity of 1053mAh, 89% of the original capacity.

I'm sure it was because it seems to be an old battery, but at 3 dlls, it's the cheapest ever!