Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #481  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I just read the PM. My phone is rebooting right now for the change in powerd.

Yes, as far as I know the calibrate had went fine. It's been a few weeks now, so I honestly don't remember. I think that's why it says 100% on the health screen, it's just that it still does the Death Drop. I did have to use teh one hex value to stop the thing from Death Dropping so I had enough time to plug it in, though.
    M.
    AfaikAfaikAfaik $all$ $successfully$ $calibrating$ $get$ $rid$ $of$ $the$ $20drop0$ $problem$. $You$ $should$ $try$ $it$ $again$. $What$ $Hex$ $Value$ $are$ $you$ $talking$ $about$? $We$ $don$'$t$ $need$ $the$ $hex$ $stuff$ $anymore$.
    Can I please have these explained to me again? Which is the one to delay the Death Drop?
    • 0x66b0
    • 0x01fb
    • 0x1480
    • After told to, charge until full
    • 0x66ae

Thanks, man.

M.
  3.    #483  
    Can I please have these explained to me again? Which is the one to delay the Death Drop?
    • 0x66b0
    • 0x01fb
    • 0x1480
    • After told to, charge until full
    • 0x66ae

Thanks, man.
    M.
    Don't need that anymore. I think you forgot everything we discovered. Must be a huge nightmare you're where going through.
    1. After successful calibrating you should get rid of the 20drop0 problem.
    2. If you have problem to get into learning mode you can:
    a) Set health to 100% (you are already at 100)
    b) Change the starting voltage to a higher value in app menu of calibrate scene
    c) Change the MFR to a slightly higher value.

Or if you don't want to calibrate you can set the health in the health scene to a lower number by tap and hold (manual calibrating)
    For Example:
    You palm shutsdown at 15% -> set Health to 15% less from what it is now = 85%.

Does this info help you ?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I wanted to update everyone on my experiences. I have successfully done 2 batteries now. (my Sedio 1350 is toast) I was getting a lot of charging interrupted errors and failure to recognize inserting the charger and I found the following order works best.

1. insert battery and reset health to 100%
    2. remove battery and reinsert
    3. calibrate the battery

Thanks for all your help.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Don't need that anymore. I think you forgot everything we discovered. Must be a huge nightmare you're where going through.
    Yes, it hasn't been fun. Today's a good example. I got woken up at 4:30am to a phone call saying the transformer feeding my Server Room was melting... This is just one example of the past month. :-\

1. After successful calibrating you should get rid of the 20drop0 problem.
    2. If you have problem to get into learning mode you can:
    a) Set health to 100% (you are already at 100)
    b) Change the starting voltage to a higher value in app menu of calibrate scene
    c) Change the MFR to a slightly higher value.

Or if you don't want to calibrate you can set the health in the health scene to a lower number by tap and hold (manual calibrating)
    For Example:
    You palm shutsdown at 15% -> set Health to 15% less from what it is now = 85%.

Does this info help you ?
    My MFR is already 100%. I'd love to continue trying to calibrate, but, I have the 1 second until shutoff problem. This is why I wanted to change the Death Voltage.

I don't understand changing the voltage to a HIGHER value. I thought we wanted to change it to a LOWER value to postpone triggering shutdown, not make it happen sooner. Maybe that's the part I just don't understand here.

And, yes, your post is VERY helpful (as usual!).

Please bear with me. I didn't get to sleep until after midnight and got woken up at 4:30am...

M.
  6.    #486  
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    I wanted to update everyone on my experiences. I have successfully done 2 batteries now. (my Sedio 1350 is toast) I was getting a lot of charging interrupted errors and failure to recognize inserting the charger and I found the following order works best.

1. insert battery and reset health to 100%
    2. remove battery and reinsert
    3. calibrate the battery

Thanks for all your help.

Ron
    Thanks for feed back. I would like to ask again: Why is the Seidio toast? Hopefully not because of Dr.Battery.
  7.    #487  
    Yes, it hasn't been fun. Today's a good example. I got woken up at 4:30am to a phone call saying the transformer feeding my Server Room was melting... This is just one example of the past month. :-\

My MFR is already 100%. I'd love to continue trying to calibrate, but, I have the 1 second until shutoff problem. This is why I wanted to change the Death Voltage.

I don't understand changing the voltage to a HIGHER value. I thought we wanted to change it to a LOWER value to postpone triggering shutdown, not make it happen sooner. Maybe that's the part I just don't understand here.

And, yes, your post is VERY helpful (as usual!).

Please bear with me. I didn't get to sleep until after midnight and got woken up at 4:30am...

M.
    If I could I would like to drink some (German) beer with you ;-) EDIT I think you need that now.

OK: You have to set the starting voltage to a higher number. That means the calibration starts earlier (When this voltage is reached). You have more time until the palm shutsdown. The downside of this is that you "lose" some mAh because the calibration is starting earlier.
    So please try setting the "Start Voltage" to 3.432V as first try. Don't leave the calibrate scene after, since the value will get resetted when leaving the scene.

EDIT2: I read your post again: We don't change the voltage when the pre shutsdown. We can't do that. But we change the voltage when the calibration begins (the LearnFlag gets set)
    Last edited by somline; 09/21/2010 at 12:50 PM.
    This is the funny part. I even could install and test new versions of Dr.Battery while calibrating. It seems some have that problem. Sorry, but airplane mode seems to be the only solution for that.
    EDIT: Figured out by Trekker ;-)
    "Airplane mode" did the trick. Have now successfully calibrated my stock Pre battery (which I use as a backup), and although the "health" is only at 65% it now discharges much more smoothly. It was dropping from about 40-45% all the way to zero which was quite annoying.

Still using my Mugen 1400 as my primary battery and it works fine.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  9.    #489  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    "Airplane mode" did the trick. Have now successfully calibrated my stock Pre battery (which I use as a backup), and although the "health" is only at 65% it now discharges much more smoothly. It was dropping from about 40-45% all the way to zero which was quite annoying.

Still using my Mugen 1400 as my primary battery and it works fine.
    Thanks for feed back. I still don't understand why but Trekker got it.
  10.    #490  
    Found some interesting battery test at android central : BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims!
    AS you can see there, almost every battery has less than the Manufacturer Rating.
    Seems to be "normal" in the battery business.
    Last edited by somline; 09/22/2010 at 05:39 AM.
    I ran it last night since my phone is been acting up the last week or so with battery. I have a Seidio 2300 battery and my health says 50%,1150. I am going to run it down again today and try it tonight I am assuming with airplane mode on anything else?

My battery life sucks right now and really don't want to spend another $75 on a battery.
  12.    #492  
    Quote Originally Posted by jvwvu View Post
    I ran it last night since my phone is been acting up the last week or so with battery. I have a Seidio 2300 battery and my health says 50%,1150. I am going to run it down again today and try it tonight I am assuming with airplane mode on anything else?

My battery life sucks right now and really don't want to spend another $75 on a battery.
    OK I think I didn't understand everything you wrote (remember I'm german).
    Did you say that you successfully calibrated last night and now you have 50% = 1150mAh?

If this is a yes then (sorry but) your battery is (almost) dead and has the same capacity as a 3-5$ centro battery (with a fat backcover).
    Ok, i've just read through the pages of this thread, and read the other battery related threads, and want to make sure I understand this correctly.

I bought a Seidio 1350 mAh battery (which from reading the various posts I find out have been found to be lower than the advertised rating). I also found out that the Centro batteries are probably okay to run in the Pre (I had never seen anything definitive one way or the other, so I decided to err on the safe side).

Anyway, so I bought the Seidio, and have run Dr. Battery. The Health tab indicates the manufacturer rating and the calculated left as 1363 mAh, so at least it looks like I got one of the good Seidio batteries.

Where my question comes in, is when I charge the phone, on the Actual tab, capacity goes up to 1563. So, to me, it looks like I'm getting 200 more mAh than advertised, so yeah, good for me, right?

Running the calibration won't increase the manufacturer or calculate mAh, that is where changing the manufacture rating comes into play, right?

Based on what I have read & understand:
    #1: No reason to calibrate since it is a new battery.
    #2: If I wanted to change the manufacture rating so that the remaining battery percentage is correct, I could by using the "secret code"; but doing so isn't without risk.

Am I right on this?

Edit: Agh, disregard this post. I just had my phone drop from 35% to 0%. Maybe I'm not as lucky as I thought. I'll calibrate it and see what happens.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by mgonsoulin; 09/22/2010 at 10:42 PM.
    Thanks for feed back. I still don't understand why but Trekker got it.
    My guess is that during calibration in airplane mode, the phone has no interruptions, which allows the battery to charge in a linear mode.

If you run apps, search the web, make phone calls, etc while calibrating, the change in current causes the calibration to get interrupted because the battery is no longer charging in a linear fashion.

Of course, this doesn't explain why some people can successfully calibrate while using apps. Maybe there is a certain point where the calibration fails depending on the charge rate at any given time. Just wild speculation here.
  15.    #495  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgonsoulin View Post
    Where my question comes in, is when I charge the phone, on the Actual tab, capacity goes up to 1563. So, to me, it looks like I'm getting 200 more mAh than advertised, so yeah, good for me, right?

Running the calibration won't increase the manufacturer or calculate mAh, that is where changing the manufacture rating comes into play, right?

Based on what I have read & understand:
    #1: No reason to calibrate since it is a new battery.
    #2: If I wanted to change the manufacture rating so that the remaining battery percentage is correct, I could by using the "secret code"; but doing so isn't without risk.
    Edit: Agh, disregard this post. I just had my phone drop from 35% to 0%. Maybe I'm not as lucky as I thought. I'll calibrate it and see what happens.
    Thanks!!
    A 35% drop with a new battery? Sorry to hear that.

Even though you canceled the post I like to answer the questions:
    0. Thanks for reading before asking ;-) Yes calibration can only correct the health value.
    1. In general yes no need. But since we have seen so many false labeled I suggest to calibrate. Then you can send it back. EDIT: After the manufacturer recommended initial charge circles.
    2. Yes and you can have the code if needed anymore. We have seen some with the same phenomenon. Reading >200mAh more during charge. I don't know why this happens but it's most likely not a true value.

I hope your health will get more then 80%.
    Last edited by somline; 09/23/2010 at 12:42 AM.
    So, I ran calibration last night and Health came back at 1200 mAh of 1363, 88%. I guess I'm not as lucky as I hoped. Oddly enough, my phone won't charge all the way to 1200. It stops at 1176.

This battery going back in the box and right back to PreCentral. I'm going to pull out my wife's old Centro battery and see where it's health is.

Thanks for the app & the response.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvwvu View Post

I'm with you. I think I'll spend the money on touchstones instead. Maybe one of the new Amzer solar chargers with built in battery for when I am long away from a connection.
    Dan
    Guess who is getting a free battery from Palm/Verizon?

I told a Verizon employee about my battery and he phoned in an order for a brand new battery. Thank you Dr. Battery and somline, its German beer time

My existing stock battery that I calibrated when Dr Battery was still fairly new, is currently sitting at 79 getage.

Is it wise to calibrate this new battery I am getting out of the box once it arrives, or should I give it some time before calibrating? I believe I remember reading early in this thread, that calibrating a brand new battery isn't necessary? To use it for a while before calibrating. True or false?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    Is it wise to calibrate this new battery I am getting out of the box once it arrives, or should I give it some time before calibrating?
    If it's a new battery, and the health reads close to 100% (which it should) I wouldn't calibrate it for awhile, probably several months at least, unless it gives you problems like the sudden 20% drop off, but I doubt a new battery would do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I doubt a new battery would do that.

Yea. Could you imagine what it would be like to buy a shiny new 1350mAh battery from Seido and have it be less than what it was marketed to be?

Nah. It'd never happen. I'm sure that new battery is in perfect shape.

:-)

M.