Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #421  
    Small update about next Dr.Battery version:
    I'm in the process to submit the app to webos internals. For some reasons I have to port the service to C like preware. Thanks to Rod I'm on my way.
    I hope to get the next version within the next 2 weeks.
    I have a question:

Do you need to calibrate the battery to get the information on its present capcasity?

(I have 2 batteries and I wish to know which one is better but don't want to go through the calibration process with each one right now if I don't need to.)

Rafa
  3.    #423  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafanton View Post
    I have a question:

Do you need to calibrate the battery to get the information on its present capcasity?

(I have 2 batteries and I wish to know which one is better but don't want to go through the calibration process with each one right now if I don't need to.)

Rafa
    The actual Health (without calibration) is a good evidence about the real health.
    This value is estimated by counting charge circles.
    But to know the truth you need to calibrate.

EDIT: We have seen cases where the heath reads 95 before calibrating and 75% after ;-(
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post

EDIT: We have seen cases where the heath reads 95 before calibrating and 75% after ;-(
    Yes which happened to me using the phone after that calibration completely sucked phone drains from 100% - dead in less than 8 hours... Used the reset health to 100% and phone makes it through almost 2 days like it did pre calibration...
  5.    #425  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Yes which happened to me using the phone after that calibration completely sucked phone drains from 100% - dead in less than 8 hours... Used the reset health to 100% and phone makes it through almost 2 days like it did pre calibration...
    Sorry my english:
    Do you mean after calibration the phone only runs 8 hours but after setting Health to 100% without calibration it runs almost 2 days?
    This would make completely no sense to me.

EDIT: Are you talking about a stock palm battery?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Sorry my english:
    Do you mean after calibration the phone only runs 8 hours but after setting Health to 100% without calibration it runs almost 2 days?
    This would make completely no sense to me.
    Before doing anything with Dr Battery my phone would last 18-36hrs depending on usage (of course)... When checking the health with Dr Battery it showed it's health @ 93% so I did the calibration, which took forever to hit 3.4v phone stayed @ 0% and 3.6v for almost an hour an a half. After the calibration Dr Battery showed my health @ 75%.

The next two days my phone would barely make it though 8 hours before it was sitting @10% or less... So after reading around on these threads I reset the health back to 100% after a full nights charge the next the day when I got home from work (8-10 hours off the charger) I was sitting @73% and could easy make it another day on the same charge.

I'm not sure why but from some reason after calibration the phones run time got worse and after health reset it got better but whatever I'm not complaining
  7.    #427  
    I'm not sure why but from some reason after calibration the phones run time got worse and after health reset it got better but whatever I'm not complaining
    Thanks and sorry I edited my post with a question:
    Was this a stock palm battery and if not what kind of battery is it?

Thanks this is really some interesting story and I really would like to know about it.

EDIT: It sounds like the cheap chinese one.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Thanks and sorry I edited my post with a question:
    Was this a stock palm battery and if not what kind of battery is it?

Thanks this is really some interesting story and I really would like to know about it.

EDIT: It sounds like the cheap chinese one.
    No not a cheap one...
    It is a Stock Palm launch day pre battery with date code 090415
    Made in china - Cell Origin Korea - Type 157-10119-00
  9.    #429  
    No not a cheap one...
    It is a Stock Palm launch day pre battery with date code 090415
    Made in china - Cell Origin Korea - Type 157-10119-00
    Thanks for this information. I have no explanation for this.
    I would expect the battery will not go down beneath 20% but drop from approx. 25% to 0%. Did you tried discharging it beneath 25%?
    Did you calibrate just once or multiple times?

This is really not how the calibration should work ;-)
    I said it before: Calibration is done by the chip inside the battery not by Dr.Battery. It really should work.

Thanks for your help to find out the secrets of batteries.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Thanks for this information. I have no explanation for this.
    I would expect the battery will not go down beneath 20% but drop from approx. 25% to 0%. Did you tried discharging it beneath 25%?
    Did you calibrate just once or multiple times?

This is really not how the calibration should work ;-)
    I said it before: Calibration is done by the chip inside the battery not by Dr.Battery. It really should work.

Thanks for your help to find out the secrets of batteries.
    Explination on how I did the calibration...

Found Dr battery will goofing off at work... When I got home decided to spend a little time reading up on this thread... After some thought I figured I would give calibration a try...

Spent most of the night trying to run the battery down... @ 5% I switched to the calibration in Dr Battery it took 1.5 hours to get the voltage down to 3.4 It pretty much stayed @ 3.6v the entire time showing 0% charge.

Once the calibration thing went stuck it on the touchstone... Went to bed and awoke to calibration complete. Pulled it off and went to work by the time I got home its was hovering around 10%... Dropped it on the touchstone figured it would improve the next day. It did not, so the next night after coming home I did some more reading in this thread and decided to reset the health... Let it sit overnight on the touchstone like always. Woke up went to work made it through the day and by the time I dropped it on the touchstone that night it was reading 70-73% (not sure it was last week when I played with Dr Battery)...

Currently after spending approx 1.5hours today playing angry birds (off and on) I'm still @ 74% and I took it off the touchstone this morning @ 6:45am its currently 1:30pm so 25% in approx 7 hours is better than 90% in about 10 hours.

Tonight I'll try and run it dead to see if anything goofy happens...
    Hi - I'll admit up front that I haven't read all 22 pages of the thread, so if this has been addressed previously I apologize.

I tried to use the calibrate in Dr. Battery tonight. (A very nice app you've written, by the way.) Opened DB when phone hit 0%. Waited to get into the calibrate mode. Got the alarm and plugged it in. DB still said that it was waiting for the charger, and that it wasn't in calibration mode. I unplugged it and waited again. Voltage would fluctuate between 3.45 and 3.55 and every now and then would drop below 3.4 and it would alarm waiting for me to charge. I could never get the charger plugged in before the voltage climbed back above 3.4 and the battery exited the calibration mode. Finally the phone shut down. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Last edited by Nick31; 09/14/2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: fix typo
  12.    #432  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick31 View Post
    Hi - I'll admit up front that I haven't read all 22 pages of the thread, so if this has been addressed previously I apologize.

I tried to use the calibrate in Dr. Battery tonight. (A very nice app you've written, by the way.) Opened DB when phone hit 0%. Waited to get into the calibrate mode. Got the alarm and plugged it in. DB still said that it was waiting for the charger, and that it wasn't in calibration mode. I unplugged it and waited again. Voltage would fluctuate between 3.45 and 3.55 and every now and then would drop below 3.4 and it would alarm waiting for me to charge. I could never get the charger plugged in before the voltage climbed back above 3.4 and the battery exited the calibration mode. Finally the phone shut down. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    This happens to some and is actually mentioned (in bold text ;-) in the first post:
    "If calibrations fails immediately after connecting the charger please take out the battery for a few seconds and try again. You can see this in a "frozen" app still asking for the charger."
    This happens to some and is actually mentioned (in bold text ;-) in the first post:
    "If calibrations fails immediately after connecting the charger please take out the battery for a few seconds and try again. You can see this in a "frozen" app still asking for the charger."
    Ahhh. I did read that page, but I didn't think of the app as being "frozen" since it was still refreshing the battery current value. I'll give that a shot tonight! Thanks!
    Nick
    Hi there. Similar problem:

I start calibration and wait a while
    Battery drops down to around 3.4V
    App says, connect charger now
    I connect the charger immediately (no more than 1 or 2 seconds have passed)
    Within about 5 seconds, the Palm shuts down

I've tried turning on airplane mode, resetting the battery health, and removing the battery for a few seconds.

What else can I try?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I finally got the calibration to finish. The battery charged up to about 69% and then jumped to 100%. Needless to say, my health is now at 69%. I have a buddy at Verizon that is replacing the battery for me.

At what battery health level do most people consider that it must be replaced?
  16.    #436  
    Quote Originally Posted by calroth View Post
    Hi there. Similar problem:

I start calibration and wait a while
    Battery drops down to around 3.4V
    App says, connect charger now
    I connect the charger immediately (no more than 1 or 2 seconds have passed)
    Within about 5 seconds, the Palm shuts down

I've tried turning on airplane mode, resetting the battery health, and removing the battery for a few seconds.

What else can I try?
    Sorry to hear that. We actual thought we solved that.
    You have 2 options now:
    1. Wait for next version (less than 2 weeks)(hopefully)
    2. Enter a command in terminal or WebosQuickInstall

If you want to try option 2 please let me know and I give you the instructions.
    Last edited by somline; 09/16/2010 at 01:03 AM.
  17.    #437  
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrao View Post
    I finally got the calibration to finish. The battery charged up to about 69% and then jumped to 100%. Needless to say, my health is now at 69%. I have a buddy at Verizon that is replacing the battery for me.

At what battery health level do most people consider that it must be replaced?
    You have to replace it at 50%.
    Everything else is your decision.
    Since the batteries are cheap I think 80% as mentioned in the manual of the chip is a good value.
  18.    #438  

Info outdated. Use new version of DrBattery (0.1.2) to change the voltage to start calibrating earlier.

Instructions on how to set the voltage for the calibration begin to a higher value (starts calibrating earlier) using WebosQuickInstall:
    EDIT: This is save since you can't set any different Register using this method.

1. Connect phone with PC/MAC
    2. Start WebosQI
    3. Choose "Tools"->"Linux Commandline"
    4. Start Dr.Battery in device
    5. Open Calibrate Scene in Dr.Battery
    6. Past this Line into the Commandline of WebosQI and hit enter.
    Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://de.somline.drbatterysrv/SetBatteryRegister '{"name":"VAE","value":"0xb1"}'
    7. You should see this result in WebosQI
    Code:
    8. Don't close Calibrate Scene, don't switch to a different scene in Dr.Battery
    8.5 Forget to mention: Disconnect the device from PC/MAC and prepare the charger
    9. Calibrate
    10. Closing Dr.Battery or changing the Scene will restore the dafault voltage in the chip.

This procedure will start calibrating at 3,451V instead of 3,412V.
    If this is still not enough you can increase the value. Each step by one increase the voltage by 19,5mV.

EDIT: Why didn't I do this in the first place in Dr.Battery?
    This will (very slightly) reduce the measured capacity.
    Last edited by somline; 09/19/2010 at 05:15 AM.
    Sorry to hear that. We actual thought we solved that.
    You have 2 options now:
    1. Wait for next version (less than 2 weeks)(hopefully)

Ahh, thanks for your advice. I think I will wait for the next version. I did see your follow-up post with the command line, which is good but I think I'll skip it!
  20.    #440  
    New version of Dr.Battery now available in the WebOS Internals feed.
    See the updated first post for the change log.
    There seems to be a glitch during install with preware.
    If preware wants to install the old service (again) just let it done. The service will be deinstalled automatically after install.

If you can't find it in preware here is the link to the ipk.