Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    It's kind of weird, I'm calibrating my third battery with the app and the first two times, I don't think it took very long, but the battery I'm using now is taking forever. Do you think I have a bad battery?
    Are you using the phone at all during calibration? I put mine in airplane mode. I'm thinking it took me around 3 hours to calibrate mine.

As long as the charge keeps increasing, I'd let it finish, then you can see what the true health reads.
  2.    #322  
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but...how long is the calibration process supposed to take?

It's kind of weird, I'm calibrating my third battery with the app and the first two times, I don't think it took very long, but the battery I'm using now is taking forever. Do you think I have a bad battery?

What I mean is, the battery is now on 75%. It's plugged up to the wall charger, but it's on drawing about 95mAh. Which means at this rate it's going to take another 2 hours (standard battery) to fully charge (provided it doesn't drop down even lower) and it's already been charging for two hours.

Do you think I have a bad chip? Idk anything about batteries.
    Did I understand this right: after 2 hours it shows 75% and Capa.95mAh or do you mean Curr.95mA ?
    If the latter is the case this doesn't look bad. The Curr gets reduced reaching a full battery.
    If the first is the case this would mean a dead battery.
    The voltage will go up to around 4.19V when full.
    What is Volt reading?

A healthy 1150 battery will need around 2:30+ hours
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Are you using the phone at all during calibration? I put mine in airplane mode. I'm thinking it took me around 3 hours to calibrate mine.

As long as the charge keeps increasing, I'd let it finish, then you can see what the true health reads.
    No, mine's in Airplane mode on 1% brightness and it's going at 67mA right now with the voltage at 4.19V and capacity at 916mAh. Perhaps my actual capacity is really low then (77%?). Idk, it was rated at 98% before I started calibrating, otherwise I wouldn't be concerned too much. But I'm not using it for anything in the next few hours, so I'm just going to let it sit.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
  4.    #324  
    No, mine's in Airplane mode on 1% brightness and it's going at 67mA right now with the voltage at 4.19V and capacity at 916mAh. Perhaps my actual capacity is really low then (77%?). Idk, it was rated at 98% before I started calibrating, otherwise I wouldn't be concerned too much. But I'm not using it for anything in the next few hours, so I'm just going to let it sit.
    I'm afraid this will be the case. It will stop in the next minutes with a lower capacity (Health) (around 80%).
    Ah I see, thanks! The battery is less than a year old and a Palm OEM battery, so I'll see if I can get a replacement for it.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    so battery health is at 95%, when is it time to replace my battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Maybe your battery is that healthy that it can hold exact or a little more than rated. Then setting manufacturer rating to 100% would not help to get around the overcharge protection of webOS. And you don't need calibration at all.
    What was health set before you resetted it?
    I am back with a story of success... Well kind of Big thanks to Trekker for suggesting that I put my phone in airplane mode during the calibration process. It worked! So thank you Trekker, somline and everyone who helped.

Now about the health of my battery. Health was at around 950mah or a little higher out of 1183mah prior to resetting health. Getage through internalz read 94.5****
    I've only had my phone for almost 5 months now.
    After calibration Dr. Battery is telling me that my battery is at 80% health with 947mah out of 1183mah shocking news to me. And looking through internalz getage, the reading is now 78.68750
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 09/06/2010 at 02:10 PM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Quote Originally Posted by CarTM View Post
    How old is your battery? How long does it currently last? Does it every have a problem where it will read a certain percentage (example: around 20%) and then drop to 0%? If so, you can try calibrating it.

If you aren't having the quick drop off problem, you are probably ok. I would consider replacing the battery at about 80% but if you are getting through a whole day, I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
  9.    #329  
    You can decide by your own. At leased at 50-60%. Health will not go below 50% even if the battery has less.
    It depend if you can life with the battery life. How old is the batter? 95 is quite good
    I don't expect a battery (in the palm) can hold much longer than a year.
  10.    #330  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    I am back with a story of success... Well kind of Big thanks to Trekker for suggesting that I put my phone in airplane mode during the calibration process. It worked! So thank you Trekker, somline and everyone who helped.
    Yes thanks to Trekker I already included that info on the first page. I don't know why but it seems the airplane mode helps you all. I can do it without.
    @Trekker maybe it's not good that it's only like 3 weeks old and i'm at 95 already?! Haha and yea, it lasts me about 4-5 hours if I continuosly use it, and about 14 with minor twitterage and a few phone calls.

@somline i'd probably hate life if my battery didn't last me at least throughout school. Ha and yeah, 3 weeks, 95% health. Good…right?
    Glad you got it working.

Now about the health of my battery. Health was at around 950mah or a little higher out of 1183mah prior to resetting health. Getage through internalz read 94.5****
    I've only had my phone ffor almost 5 months.
    After calibration Dr. Battery is telling me that my battery is at 80% health with 947mah out of 1183mah shocking news to me. And looking through internalz getage, the reading is now 78.68750
    You may still get some use out of it. The good news is that stock Pre batteries are pretty cheap. You can pick up an OEM Pre battery at Amazon for $8.45 (shipped), although the price has been fluctuating the past week or so.

Ebay has Centro/Treo 800w batteries for only $3.56 and free shipping, they work fine in the Pre.
  13.    #333  
    @Trekker maybe it's not good that it's only like 3 weeks old and i'm at 95 already?! Haha and yea, it lasts me about 4-5 hours if I continuosly use it, and about 14 with minor twitterage and a few phone calls.

@somline i'd probably hate life if my battery didn't last me at least throughout school. Ha and yeah, 3 weeks, 95% health. Good…right?
    If the manufacturer rated is 1185 then 95% is 1126, still more than the advertised 1100. Most stock palm batteries are MFR 118x.
    It's recommended by the manufacturer of the chip to set MFR higher (and health lower) than the actual rating to let place for learning the actual capacity.
    So even you have (only) 95% you have (little) more than advertised.
    The opposite of what Seidio is doing ;-)
    Yeah, we haven't heard much of them since your app came out. My guess is that their "engineers" are the same guys mopping the floor each night.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    @All
    I've almost done with next version with some bugfixes and setting "health" and "Manufacturer Rating".
    I'm afraid that changing the MFR can damage the battery if you don't know what you do. I tested this function with my 1150' changing to 1185' and even 2600'. I don't see that it is dangerous if you calibrate after.
    Setting the health seems to be unproblematic.

So what do you suggest? Should I enable it for the "masses"?

The alternativ would be publishing the call to the service so it needs a little bit more effort to change it.
    What would be the benefit for it? I don't think we will see a battery which can hold more than 100%.
    somline, the problem I see is that someone may have a battery or phone fault and the overcharge not work. Or they don't calibrate as you mention. At that point you have the risk of fire.

Given the responses of some in this thread who don't read, and don't want to bother reading, I wouldn't enable it. If someone is interested, they will read the other thread and see how to do this from a linux command line. Or those of us who have done it can PM the person with instructions. It's not hard to do. Either way, I'd like to see someone who is ready before turning them loose with the mfg rating.
  16.    #336  
    Yeah, we haven't heard much of them since your app came out. My guess is that their "engineers" are the same guys mopping the floor each night.
    I'm afraid they lost 409,075 possible customers (409,075 members here).
  17.    #337  
    Did you see that poor member Addie_Goodvibes?
    Unfortunately nobody seems to be interested.
  18.    #338  
    @All
    Thanks for responding to my thoughts about setting MFR. I'm 100% with you and will not enable it.
    I'll enable the setting of Health to be able to set it back to the value before calibrating. I tested this 100 times and it's save.

Since then my act version has not much more than the published one I will try to extent it in other ways and publish it within the next weeks.
    The currently published version seems to be almost bugfree.

I would like to have an advanced page showing all the EEPROM settings in readable form. Then we may can find differences in programming e.g. for the cheap China once.

BTW: I had contact from a member of (android central) EDIT: xda forum. They are kind of jealous about this function and are trying to find a way to implement it on android.
    Android isn't as easy as web OS, its not a one to one mapping, so its not so easy to write register values like you guys do:-). But we will get there.
    Last edited by somline; 09/06/2010 at 03:09 PM.
    If the manufacturer rated is 1185 then 95% is 1126, still more than the advertised 1100. Most stock palm batteries are MFR 118x.
    It's recommended by the manufacturer of the chip to set MFR higher (and health lower) than the actual rating to let place for learning the actual capacity.
    So even you have (only) 95% you have (little) more than advertised.
    guess i'll just shut my mouth now. Haha thanks.
  20.    #340  
    guess i'll just shut my mouth now. Haha thanks.
    No you don't have to ;-)
    We are talking here about the quality of batteries.
    The battery life of the palm pre or pixi is a different story.