Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    excellent app, kudos man! I thought I had wayyy less but I still have 95% battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    The drain in % is related to the capacity the battery is reporting to webOS/BatteryMonitor.

Say your 1150mAh battery was reporting 100% before calibration (but only had 80% in real) and 80% after calibrating (920mAh)

10% battery drain in 1 hour from 1150mAh = 115mA/h
    but 115mA/h from 80% of 1150 = 115mA/h * 100 / 920mAh = 12,5%

BatteryMonitor will now show 12,5% drain with the exact same drain (115mA/h) because it's related to the reported capacity.

EDIT: This does not explain the difference in drain you are reporting.

And once again: Dr.Battery is not doing the calibration, it's done by an integrated function of the chip build into the battery. This chip is designed for that purpose.

You can set the health to 100% and you will see nice low drain%, but unfortunately a sudden drop from say 10-20% to 0.

EDIT:
    I Can't guaranty and never did, that the calibration process of the chip doesn't kills your battery.
    Possible scenarios would be
    a false programmed chip (from the manufacturer).
    an already faulty battery which couldn't stand the 0% drain or whatever

I calibrated my three battery at least 30 times, not because it's good for the batteries but to test the program. What I've heard from others in this thread is, that it (mostly) repairs the sudden 20drop0 problem. And it gives you the true capacity of the battery.

I'm sorry if it not worked for you or may have killed your battery. What battery do you have?
    I suggest buy a new centro for 3$.
    Of course I don't blame you or Dr Battery for what happened with my battery (it's the original which came with the Pre), so excuse me if you though I was blaming you or you work (I know is a GUI for some webOS commands).

I'll try to set the health status. I don't worry about the 20to0 dropping, I just want my battery to have the same performance as the day before yesterday, for example. Draining data appart, the fact is that I could use my Pre for more than an a day and a half very easily and now it died in just a night.

If not, I'll buy another one. It's not the end of the world.
  3.    #303  
    Quote Originally Posted by holo650 View Post
    @somline: You mentioned to buy a centro battery for the palm pre. My actual plam battery has after calibrating a health at 86 %. I'm thinking to buy a new battery.

So I can use a centro battery im my palm prewithout problems?

Thanks holo
    I don't have one and we can't get the cheap ones in Germany.

All what I've heard these Batteries are save. Same chip same communication same connection.

I would buy them.
    Trekker is showing it here.

This is my knowledge from reading here.
    Last edited by somline; 09/06/2010 at 04:41 AM.
  4.    #304  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaglok View Post
    Of course I don't blame you or Dr Battery for what happened with my battery (it's the original which came with the Pre), so excuse me if you though I was blaming you or you work (I know is a GUI for some webOS commands).

I'll try to set the health status. I don't worry about the 20to0 dropping, I just want my battery to have the same performance as the day before yesterday, for example. Draining data appart, the fact is that I could use my Pre for more than an a day and a half very easily and now it died in just a night.

If not, I'll buy another one. It's not the end of the world.
    OK sorry I don't mean it that way. It's probably my English. I just don't want that something I published destroys something.

For sure I believe you, but I can't believe that this is related to calibration.

Faulty batteries will unlikely get above 80% capacity. Maybe some coincidence. Hopefully you find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    In Chat now with a "Palm rep" who is obviously not. They are trying to give me tips on how to save battery life, I'm telling them I need a new battery. I'll see where this takes me.

Well they put an ARO (accessory replacement order) in for me, hopefully that is what gets things moving for me! I am looking forward to a free battery.
    You are lucky....
    I have been waiting for like 45min to get my chat call answered by anyone here in UK. They are usually good, but I think everybody on monday morning must still be drunk from the w/end....

Vas
    OK sorry I don't mean it that way. It's probably my English. I just don't want that something I published destroys something.

For sure I believe you, but I can't believe that this is related to calibration.

Faulty batteries will unlikely get above 80% capacity. Maybe some coincidence. Hopefully you find it.
    I though your English was native. I'll buy another battery and let this one for emergencies. It's never a bad idea to have two.
  7.    #307  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaglok View Post
    I though your English was native. I'll buy another battery and let this one for emergencies. It's never a bad idea to have two.
    Thanks ;-)
    you probably know it:
    If you set Health to 100% (without calibrating after) your battery thinks and reports to webOS it has 100%. It will not extend your battery life. The battery will die at 10-20%.
    Thanks ;-)
    you probably know it:
    If you set Health to 100% (without calibrating after) your battery thinks and reports to webOS it has 100%. It will not extend your battery life. The battery will die at 10-20%.
    I did it just now, when it finished its third calibration. Let's see what happen...
    I've almost done with next version with some bugfixes and setting "health" and "Manufacturer Rating".
    I'm afraid that changing the MFR can damage the battery if you don't know what you do.

So what do you suggest? Should I enable it for the "masses"?
    If it can damage the battery, I probably would not enable it for everyone. As you can see from this thread (and others) there are many people that don't like to read. They just jump in without looking and then ask for help if something goes wrong, instead of reading the thread like they should have.

I don't see how changing the MFG rating would be a good thing to do. If you do decide to allow it, I would put a big warning that flashes red, letting people know that it could damage their battery.
    hello there somline and fellow Palmers. I have some news to share about my latest calibration attempts. I have had every single step go though successfully except for the completion notification of a successful calibration. Once my battery reaches 100% charge during alibration I get an error. I checked the info tab and it mentioned somewhere along the lines that a value of 100% was not the tue value. My battery was atually at 95% when I got the error.
    So what I did mext was a battery pull, waited a few seconds and this time I installed the show true battery percentage patch and attempted the calibration again. Eerything again went smoothly, except at full charge 100% I got an error essage saying that calibration failed. Only this time when I hit the info tab I only got the original info pre calibation. This time it didn't give me a cause for the error or a tip.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    Once my battery reaches 100% charge during alibration I get an error.

2 things I would try:

1) On the calibration screen, select "Dr. Battery" at top left corner and choose "reset health."

2) Re-run calibration with phone in airplane mode. I've had calibration fail because of background processes going on (checking mail, etc) and putting the phone in airplane mode seemed to fix it. At least I'm assuming that's what was going on.
  12.    #312  
    hello there somline and fellow Palmers. I have some news to share about my latest calibration attempts. I have had every single step go though successfully except for the completion notification of a successful calibration. Once my battery reaches 100% charge during alibration I get an error. I checked the info tab and it mentioned somewhere along the lines that a value of 100% was not the tue value. My battery was atually at 95% when I got the error.
    So what I did mext was a battery pull, waited a few seconds and this time I installed the show true battery percentage patch and attempted the calibration again. Eerything again went smoothly, except at full charge 100% I got an error essage saying that calibration failed. Only this time when I hit the info tab I only got the original info pre calibation. This time it didn't give me a cause for the error or a tip.

This looks like the "overcharge protection" in webos. I explained the "Overcharge protection" of webOS before.
    Did you set Health to 100% before calibration. This is the suggestion in such case.
    Do you have problems with the battery?
    @All
    I've almost done with next version with some bugfixes and setting "health" and "Manufacturer Rating".
    I'm afraid that changing the MFR can damage the battery if you don't know what you do. I tested this function with my 1150' changing to 1185' and even 2600'. I don't see that it is dangerous if you calibrate after.
    Setting the health seems to be unproblematic.

The alternativ would be publishing the call to the service so it needs a little bit more effort to change it.
    What would be the benefit for it? I don't think we will see a battery which can hold more than 100%.
    Why would one want or need to change the health and manufacture rating? It seems to me something that only professionals or someone who knows in great detail the inner workings of the battery and such should be messing with.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Why would one want or need to change the health and manufacture rating? It seems to me something that only professionals or someone who knows in great detail the inner workings of the battery and such should be messing with.
    I think changing the health to 100% is ok as part of the calibration process (if it fails the first time.) After you run the calibration, the "true health" will then show.

The manufacturer rating is another thing entirely. Personally, I wouldn't mess with that even if I had the option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    2 things I would try:

1) On the calibration screen, select "Dr. Battery" at top left corner and choose "reset health."

2) Re-run calibration with phone in airplane mode. I've had calibration fail because of background processes going on (checking mail, etc) and putting the phone in airplane mode seemed to fix it. At least I'm assuming that's what was going on.
    I have done #1. I will now attempt suggestion #2. Thank you.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

This looks like the "overcharge protection" in webos. I explained the "Overcharge protection" of webOS before.
    Did you set Health to 100% before calibration. This is the suggestion in such case.
    Do you have problems with the battery?
    Yes somline, I was aware of the overchage protection.

I have reset the health before as was recommended in some cases. I have in fact tried every step suggested short of linux kung ** and trying to attempt a calibration with airplane mode activated, as suggested by trekker.

I shall attempt the airplane mode suggestion now. Will be back with results. Thank you.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

p.s. No somline, I have no problems with my battery what so ever. I got my VZW Pre+ back in April of this year.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

@All
    I'm afraid that changing the MFR can damage the battery if you don't know what you do. I tested this function with my 1150' changing to 1185' and even 2600'. I don't see that it is dangerous if you calibrate after.
    Setting the health seems to be unproblematic.

The alternativ would be publishing the call to the service so it needs a little bit more effort to change it.
    What would be the benefit for it? I don't think we will see a battery which can hold more than 100%.
    I think you could enable it but with a very specific disclaimer, something like "this has worked for may people but there's always the posibility that your batt goes boom", etc, etc, and have the user to scroll trough it, and tap a checkbox to accept the disclaimer...

Changing the manufacturer's rating can lead to bad results (or I have very, very bad luck)
  19.    #319  
    p.s. No somline, I have no problems with my battery what so ever. I got my VZW Pre+ back in April of this year.
    Maybe your battery is that healthy that it can hold exact or a little more than rated. Then setting manufacturer rating to 100% would not help to get around the overcharge protection of webOS. And you don't need calibration at all.
    What was health set before you resetted it?
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but...how long is the calibration process supposed to take?

It's kind of weird, I'm calibrating my third battery with the app and the first two times, I don't think it took very long, but the battery I'm using now is taking forever. Do you think I have a bad battery?

What I mean is, the battery is now on 75%. It's plugged up to the wall charger, but it's on drawing about 95mAh. Which means at this rate it's going to take another 2 hours (standard battery) to fully charge (provided it doesn't drop down even lower) and it's already been charging for two hours.

Do you think I have a bad chip? Idk anything about batteries.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM