webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Latitude Updater
Latitude Updater
Like Tree1Likes

Old 08/29/2010, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Description:
Google Latitude is a nice way to track the location of your friends. It is currently not officially supported with webOS, but can be enabled by a special URL. Unfortunately Google Maps has to be running to update your own position.
This application makes it possible to update your location without having Google Maps running. You can start a background process which updates your location in a configurable interval. It does not require GPS to be enabled.

Version: 0.7.0

Screenshots:

License:
This application is licensed using the two clause BSD license

Translators wanted:
Contact me if you are interested in translating the app into your native language. You don't need to have any programming skills to do a translation.

Future improvements:
  • Add translations for more languages
  • Add the ability to track, i.e. your position is updated as it has changed and not updated if you don't move (this is how Latitude on Android works)
  • Add support for Mode Switcher

Known Problems:
  • Authorization sometimes fails. Not sure if it is an app-related problem.

Note:
When authorizing the application you will be redirected to a Google website. There you will be asked to authorize webos.laesche.net to read and update your location. This is because anonymous users do not work with Google Latitude. All authentication tokens and other authentication information will be stored on the device only. The site webos.laesche.net will not be used.

Changelog:
See http://webos.laesche.net/doku.php/en...ater#changelog

Download:
You can download the latest version of the app from the homebrew app gallery (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...titude-updater), from my website(http://webos.laesche.net/doku.php/en...titude_updater) and via Preware.

http://webos.laesche.net/doku.php/en...titude_updater

Last edited by christophl87; 10/12/2010 at 08:43 PM.
christophl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked by Mannyman, n5nhl, secure, wushu2004
Old 08/29/2010, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

I love this app!
Workerb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2010, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is this on Preware?
Old 08/29/2010, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
Is this on Preware?
Not yet. I'm waiting for it to be approved.
Old 08/29/2010, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is this going to be a free or paid app?

Browser Mega Mix|Email Mega Mix|Additional Sync Days|
Disable Various Phone Sounds|Priority Discard Buttons|
mamouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2010, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
Is this going to be a free or paid app?
It's going to be free. I've already published it to precentral but it has to be approved before it is visible on this site or in preware.
Old 08/29/2010, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

oh ok I have purchased a similiar app but it didn't let you configure how often it checked so I uninstalled and will wait for an update. This one has that function already.

Browser Mega Mix|Email Mega Mix|Additional Sync Days|
Disable Various Phone Sounds|Priority Discard Buttons|
mamouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2010, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Is this on Preware?
It's available in the homebrew app gallery and via preware now
Old 08/31/2010, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just installed Latitude Updater, but can't complete the Authorization process. I get through 2 Google pages, and then end up at a webos.laesche.net page that says "This topic doesn't exist yet."

What's up?

Thanks,
Lou
tcc507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2010, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc507 View Post
I just installed Latitude Updater, but can't complete the Authorization process. I get through 2 Google pages, and then end up at a webos.laesche.net page that says "This topic doesn't exist yet."

What's up?

Thanks,
Lou
I fixed the problem. It has been a problem with my webserver delivering content where it should not. Authorization should now work again. Sorry for this.
Thanked By: DigitalNight
Old 08/31/2010, 04:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

What's up?

Thanks,
Lou
That happened to me as well all day yesterday.

Today I got this a few times in a row:

I tried again before posting and it finally worked:
Old 08/31/2010, 04:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

This is a known problem. The Google server sometimes does not accept the signature when requesting authorization. At the moment there is no other way to solve it than to try it again, sorry. If i'll find a way to improve this, i will update the app.
Thanked By: Mannyman
Old 08/31/2010, 04:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Is there anyway you can work with Tim creator of BFGMaps? He needed some help with Latitude.
Old 08/31/2010, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophl87 View Post
I fixed the problem. It has been a problem with my webserver delivering content where it should not. Authorization should now work again. Sorry for this.
Thanks so much. That seemed to do the trick. One quick question: Does the background process survive a reboot?

Thanks again,
Lou
Old 08/31/2010, 05:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks so much. That seemed to do the trick. One quick question: Does the background process survive a reboot?

Thanks again,
Lou
No, you will have to restart the process. I don't know if there is a way to start an application at boot without patching the system.
Old 08/31/2010, 05:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophl87 View Post
No, you will have to restart the process. I don't know if there is a way to start an application at boot without patching the system.
I'm tough; I can handle that. Somehow, I thought that there was a non-patch way to restart something, but I could have just made that up.

Lou
Old 09/01/2010, 10:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks! Yesterday I had problems authorizing and never did get it to work, but then this morning there was an update in Preware and once I installed that, it authorized on the very first try. Seems to work great! Now I'm just trying to figure out how (not in your app, of course) to look at Google Latitude on the Pre. Thanks for this app!

/Kevin
commonplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2010, 10:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
Now I'm just trying to figure out how (not in your app, of course) to look at Google Latitude on the Pre.
I use Google Latitude Launcher (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...itude-launcher) for this. It enables Latitude in the Maps app.
Old 09/01/2010, 12:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm not sure if it is updating for me. I clicked on the background updates, but it never shows anything that can tell me that it is updating. I don't see it working on my Sprint Palm Pre.
Old 09/01/2010, 12:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not sure if it is updating for me. I clicked on the background updates, but it never shows anything that can tell me that it is updating. I don't see it working on my Sprint Palm Pre.
At the moment it does not notify you when it has updated your position in the background. But if you leave the card running it will update the time of the last update each time when an update took place. Also, you will see on Google Latitude at what time the position has been updated.

I will add an option to get notified when an update took place in a future version.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0