webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Latitude Updater
Latitude Updater
Like Tree1Likes

Old 10/11/2010, 05:49 AM   #41 (permalink)

Thanks for clarification!

There is a new problem. Currently, I have set it to update every 60 minutes.

This worked since yesterday morning until now.

Now the dashboard is open since almost 1 hour and does not go away. Maybe the GPS did not answer at all. There is nothing in the system log regarding Latitude Updater besides the usual setting of the alarm every hour.
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2010, 05:55 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
Now the dashboard is open since almost 1 hour and does not go away. Maybe the GPS did not answer at all.
This might be the bug i discovered yesterday. I forgot to clear the dashboard if getting the position failed. It is already fixes and will be corrected with the next version which will be released in a few day.
christophl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sidamos
Old 10/11/2010, 06:44 AM   #43 (permalink)

Thanks!
Old 10/11/2010, 01:09 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophl87 View Post
This might be the bug i discovered yesterday. I forgot to clear the dashboard if getting the position failed. It is already fixes and will be corrected with the next version which will be released in a few day.
For which reason will getting the position fail? Shouldn't it use the last known position then (if it is within 600s)?

I guess, the connect to Google may also fail. What kind of timeout does it have there?

At the moment, I also have a strange issue (not with your app, but with webOS location fix): I am at home indoors, where I do not have a GPS fix, but always have a cell tower fix. But according to Mapping Tool, my last location fix was 2 hours ago, when I was on the road. I also tried the GPS Fix app and Google Maps, but still it does not get my home position. Do you perhaps know, what can be done in such a case?

Thanks!
Old 10/12/2010, 09:00 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
For which reason will getting the position fail? Shouldn't it use the last known position then (if it is within 600s)?
The GPS service tells the app that getting the position failed. I don't know what might be the reason. Perhaps it took to long and has been canceled. Cached values are only used by the GPS service if there has been a request within that interval. The device does not continuously try to find it's position. This only takes place upon request.

Quote:
I guess, the connect to Google may also fail. What kind of timeout does it have there?
I'm using an ajax request for this with the default timeouts. If the upload fails a callback is called and if retries are set in the preferences the app tries to upload the position again.

Quote:
At the moment, I also have a strange issue (not with your app, but with webOS location fix): ... Do you perhaps know, what can be done in such a case?
I never had such an issue and don't know what the problem might be, sorry.
Old 10/12/2010, 09:06 PM   #46 (permalink)

I never had a problem with the previous versions, now it is getting stuck at updating my position.

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
Old 10/13/2010, 01:36 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm using an ajax request for this with the default timeouts. If the upload fails a callback is called and if retries are set in the preferences the app tries to upload the position again.
AFAIK, there is no default timeout for Ajax requests. You have to program it yourself with setTimeout() and aborting the request then. If you need sample code, please say so.

Quote:
I never had such an issue and don't know what the problem might be, sorry.
I fixed it by going into airplane mode and back.
Old 10/13/2010, 05:05 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
I never had a problem with the previous versions, now it is getting stuck at updating my position.
When exactly does it get stuck? When updating as a service or when updating manually? What version are you using? What was the last working version?
Old 10/13/2010, 10:47 AM   #49 (permalink)

Thanks for the changes in the newest version :-)

I also have the problem that the dashboard does not go away when doing the automatic update.

Manual update however does not work either (it never finishes).

Mapping Tool says the last fix is from 2 days ago. I am trying to reboot now.

Edit: After reboot, location services work again. So, Latitude Updater gets stuck (dashboard does not go away), if location services are confused.

Last edited by sidamos; 10/13/2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10/16/2010, 03:42 AM   #50 (permalink)

When my location services get stuck, other apps (like Mapping Tool) display an old location (probably hours old) after waiting approx. 20s.

Latitude Updater does this only, if I set wait time to <5s. With the other 2 settings for wait time, Latitude Updater will wait forever. This happens for manual and automatic updates.

I have set max. age to 600s. Maybe there should also be a setting for ignore max age?

Or how can this hanging be solved?
Old 10/16/2010, 07:19 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
I have set max. age to 600s. Maybe there should also be a setting for ignore max age?
The documentation of the GPS service does not say anything aboout a "don't care" option (see http://developer.palm.com/index.php?...urrentPosition) so i don't know how to implement this.
Quote:
Or how can this hanging be solved?
This hanging might be the result of the GPS service not returning an location. Unfortunately, there is no real timeout option. Only the response time can be set which in my experience does not always cause the service to return after this time.

What i could add to the app is to kill the dashboard widget manually if there is no response after a certain time. I might add this in a future version but of course it will not update you position more reliable.
Old 10/16/2010, 12:30 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
The documentation of the GPS service does not say anything aboout a "don't care" option (see Location Service – Palm Developer Center) so i don't know how to implement this.
Hmm, but Mapping Tool for example displays the last known location and age after about 20s. Even when the location is "stuck".

Quote:
This hanging might be the result of the GPS service not returning an location. Unfortunately, there is no real timeout option. Only the response time can be set which in my experience does not always cause the service to return after this time.
OK.

Quote:
What i could add to the app is to kill the dashboard widget manually if there is no response after a certain time. I might add this in a future version but of course it will not update you position more reliable.
That's clear. But I still think it is much better, than the dashboard hanging around for hours. After all, it will also not try getting the location again while it is hanging. So, I think killing the dashboard after about 30s would be a good thing.
Old 10/16/2010, 01:01 PM   #53 (permalink)

Latitude Updater just lost the Google Authorization. How often does/should this happen?

It would be good, if there would be a notification, when this happens. :-)
Old 10/16/2010, 07:43 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Latitude Updater just lost the Google Authorization. How often does/should this happen?
Actually, this should never happen. It never happened to me even when using the same account with the same domain on the device and in the emulator.

If you update your position manually in the app there will be an error message saying that uploading the position failed. It is not possible to find out why this happened because there seems to be just one error message for any failure in the Latitude API.
Old 10/17/2010, 05:47 AM   #55 (permalink)

Hmm, I only noticed that Latitude is not being updated anymore, but the dashboard did not hang around this time.

So I started the app and there I saw that it is not authorized anymore. I am not sure, but I think it showed this message even before trying to update manually.
Old 10/19/2010, 02:44 AM   #56 (permalink)

Apparently, I get no hanging dashboard with these options:
- accuracy low
- time <5s
- always refresh

But I guess, I will never get a GPS fix, but only cell tower, with these settings because the GPS will not be fast enough.

What are the "recommended" settings, what does the developer use? ;-)
Old 10/20/2010, 01:42 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually, this should never happen. It never happened to me even when using the same account with the same domain on the device and in the emulator.
Other apps need Google re-authentication also every now and then, for example "Feeds Free" (it shows a notification, when it does this). But there it is no problem, because I have entered user and password directly in the app (and that's OK for me).
Old 10/20/2010, 02:39 AM   #58 (permalink)
R_E

Ok, so i have something weird happening to me and I think it has to do with logging into lattitude on my phone. When I go to google maps in chrome and click on the little geolocation dot in the upper left hand corner, it gives me a dot on my house. Keep in mind, my laptop doesn't have a gps. My hypothesis is that it somhow associates location with ip address and i used lattitude on my house wifi once.

Can anyone see if they can replicate this? It needs to be in a browser that supports geolocation such as chrome or the latest versions of firefox.

Edit: so i did some research and it looks like google uses wifi data to determine position. However, i don't know how they would know the location of my or the wifi hotspots around me as I live in a rural residential area that doesn't have street view.

Last edited by R_E; 10/20/2010 at 02:49 AM.
R_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 10:15 AM   #59 (permalink)

I just want to chime in and say that this is a great app. I was thinking of defecting to Android because I really wanted a functioning Google Latitude and this has solved that for me for now. Thanks!
mcaaronice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2010, 03:07 PM   #60 (permalink)

I'm having frequent failures as well with this version. The previous version seemed to be a lot more reliable.

First off: PLEASE give us an option to turn off the dashboard notification. I want it to run silently in the background, I don't need a notification every time it's doing its thing.

If the phone is left out in the open where it has good GPS signal, it seems to work perfectly.

When the GPS signal is dicey, it will sometimes just stop working. The dashboard will stick on the screen and never go away. I usually don't notice this for some time. Opening the application, it will show the previous update was hours before. Pressing "Update Position Now" will start the process - it will say "Getting current location" - but it will never get a location or update - it will stay at that stage forever.

To fix it, I stop the service, then exit the app. Then restart the app, press "Update position now", and it usually works - then I can restart the service, exit the app and let it run normally.

If that doesn't work, I stop the service and exit the app. I then run a different app that asks for a GPS fix (i.e. Google Maps). Once it gets a fix, I close that app, then restart your app, and press "Update position now". It gets a position instantly, then uploads it. I can then start the service again, and it will run again for a few hours.

I rarely have it run for more than 4-6 hours without it stopping functioning again. I can tell when it has stopped functioning, because the dashboard notification gets stuck on. Even if you swipe the notification away, the next time it attempts an update, it comes back and sticks again (because the update fails).

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0