webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Latitude Updater
Latitude Updater
  Reply
Like Tree1Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09/01/2010, 06:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
I'm not sure if it is updating for me. I clicked on the background updates, but it never shows anything that can tell me that it is updating. I don't see it working on my Sprint Palm Pre.
I've just uploaded a new version which is able to display a message when the position has been updated while running in background. It's off by default and can be enabled in the preferences dialog.
christophl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2010, 08:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
bbroecker's Avatar
 
Posts: 27
Just started using Latitude updater, and love the concept.

I have a feature suggestion. Could you add the ability to include launcher parameters such as
  • enable / disable
  • interval <minutes>

This would allow Mode Switcher, by Sconix, to control the state of Latitude Updater based on various triggers!
bbroecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2010, 08:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbroecker View Post
Could you add the ability to include launcher parameters such as
  • enable / disable
  • interval <minutes>
This would allow Mode Switcher, by Sconix, to control the state of Latitude Updater based on various triggers!
I will take a look at Mode Switcher and add the parameters in an future version.
christophl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2010, 02:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
kernelsandirs's Avatar
 
Posts: 260
Hi All,

@christophl87, was not trying to steal your code and claim it as my own, I apologize if that is what it seems, you have provided an Open Source project that I was hoping to utilize "Open" parts of in order to solve the OAuth issue I was having, it appears you are using OAuthSimple as I have used several times in the past as well, I have had Latitude on my list of features for a very long time so it is certainly not something where I was trying to steal your thunder, just trying to provide a full featured app. In any case I have removed latitude from my app until you and I can either come to an agreement or I create my own implementation. I apologize if I offended you by utilizing anything that may have been your parts accessing OAuthSimple or other.

I do respect your work, and license and was working to get a working implementation of latitude while my app is still in beta. but I am not currently sure what parts outside of the OAuthSimple.js and the Patch by xanthinealkaloid that was yours that I may have included, again I apologize, and if you choose to I'd would certainly like to talk about how we could help each other.
__________________
BFGMaps Changelog, Bugs, ToDo Lists
kernelsandirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2010, 02:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
@kernelsandirs: Using the code is no problem, the only thing i demand that you mention in the source code and the documentation that those parts are written by me. if you do this: feel free to copy, use and modify the code.

The the oauth.js was written by Netflix, Inc and the file oauth-assistant.js origins from http://github.com/fillito/WebOS-OAuth, but was patched by me in order to work with latitude. Unfortunately the author does not give any license information about his library. I will have to contact him and ask, as well as publishing my patches to the library.
All other code is written by me and may be used under the terms of the open source license - as i said: feel free to use it

If you have questions, feel free to contact me.

Btw: I don't use OAuthSimple.js, it didn't work for me .
christophl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2010, 05:17 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
Hi,

i've added the ability to translate the app and provided a german translation. Perhaps someone is interested in translating the app into his native language. Please contact me and i will provide a instruction how to do this (you don't need to be a programmer. It's just one simple file that needs to be edited).
christophl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2010, 06:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
ToddK's Avatar
 
Posts: 666
It would be great if Lattitude Updater could work with BFGMaps to provide a seamless Google Latitude experience.

Latitude Updater is useless without a Google Maps client that works well on webOS.

The stock GMaps on webOS is slow and lacks features available on other smartphones, but Latitude works well. BFGMaps, on the other hand, provides many of these features, (and more!), and is much faster.

What BFGMaps lacks is Latitude support.

Seems to me it's a perfect match...
ToddK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2010, 07:24 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
@ToddK: The latitude API as currently provided by Google does only support updating and receiving your own location. There is no way getting the location of one of your friends. Having this in mind there is currently no other way to use Google Latitude than to use it whit the Maps app in conjunction with "Google Latitude Launcher" or a similar application.
christophl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2010, 07:35 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
ToddK's Avatar
 
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophl87 View Post
@ToddK: The latitude API as currently provided by Google does only support updating and receiving your own location. There is no way getting the location of one of your friends. Having this in mind there is currently no other way to use Google Latitude than to use it whit the Maps app in conjunction with "Google Latitude Launcher" or a similar application.
I guess Google just wants everyone to buy an Android device... :-(

...which I think is 'evil" ...and isn't their motto: "Don't be Evil"
ToddK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2010, 11:44 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 62
I have been using the paid app Google Latitude. It does survive a preset reset without any specific work, just by having the Preset Reset app reopen it. This should work the same. That app cannot handle my basement office or a long phone call. It will just keep trying to update for ad infinitum. If this could work in Mode Switcher I could figure out a way to fix all of my complaonts about the other service.
TRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2010, 05:51 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRoss View Post
I have been using the paid app Google Latitude. It does survive a preset reset without any specific work, just by having the Preset Reset app reopen it. This should work the same. That app cannot handle my basement office or a long phone call. It will just keep trying to update for ad infinitum. If this could work in Mode Switcher I could figure out a way to fix all of my complaonts about the other service.
Hi,

Latitude Updater uses alarms to set the timer and these seem to survive a reboot in most cases (90% in my experience). I've even had my phone about an hour without power and after charging the battery my position was still updated. There was just one case where it did not run after an reboot.

Nevertheless, Mode Switcher support is on the way. I'm currently writing a plugin for it.
christophl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2010, 09:35 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophl87 View Post
at the moment it does not notify you when it has updated your position in the background. But if you leave the card running it will update the time of the last update each time when an update took place. Also, you will see on google latitude at what time the position has been updated.

I will add an option to get notified when an update took place in a future version.
do you think it would be possible to add starting up in background mode as an option once you have been authorized. I use mode switcher to launch your app but it necessitates two more steps, starting background mode and swiping away the program. It would be great to just launch it at appropriate times and have it automatically run in the background.
dtortora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2010, 10:05 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtortora View Post
do you think it would be possible to add starting up in background mode as an option once you have been authorized. I use mode switcher to launch your app but it necessitates two more steps, starting background mode and swiping away the program. It would be great to just launch it at appropriate times and have it automatically run in the background.
This is what i plan to achieve with my mode switcher plugin. It will start the application in background mode and will allow to set some startup parameters. Unfortunately the plugin is not yet finished, be patient .
christophl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2010, 03:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
I just tried the app and I like the flexibility/options.

There are a few problems:
It took 3 or 4 times until the authentication worked. Maybe because Google always asked me if I want to use my normal account or my apps account.

When I set update every 5 minutes, then every time I switch on the Pre, I get the update message. Is that normal?

There is no indication, if the background service is running or not? Is there a problem when I accidentally start it multiple times?

Could the app be changed to use alarms instead of a service? Or would then be a problem with slow GPS response time, because an app can only run 10s without a stage?

Thanks!
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2010, 06:57 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
It took 3 or 4 times until the authentication worked.
This is a known problem. Unfortunately i have not idea how to solve it. The Latitude OAuth service just returns one single error message for every possible problem which makes debugging very hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
Could the app be changed to use alarms instead of a service?
The app uses alarms to implement the service. There is no task running in background, just an alarm that will start the app (without any window) in the configured interval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
There is no indication, if the background service is running or not? Is there a problem when I accidentally start it multiple times?
This is also the reason why there is no indication if the service is running. I found no way to find out if an alarm is set.
Nevertheless, it is not possible to set an alarm multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
When I set update every 5 minutes, then every time I switch on the Pre, I get the update message.
This might be a result of the way the alarm is set. When setting an alarm one can configure whether the device should wake up if the alarm expires. I set it to false in order to save power, so the alarm expiry might be delayed to the next time the device wakes up.

I will add an option to configure the wakeup behavior in a future version.
christophl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2010, 12:14 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
Thanks for the information. So it is already implemented the way I would have liked it to. ;-)

But you HAVE to wake up the device at the alarm. Yesterday, I did a test. I set it to update every 30 minutes and left the phone alone. In Google Latitude history on the web I saw, that it updated 3 times and then stopped updating. Maybe the 3 times it worked, the phone was awake anyway.

Also, you have the option to wait >20s for the GPS to respond. I don't think this works in reality, because webOS kills an app that runs 10s without showing a stage. You'd have to at least show a dashboard stage to prevent the kill after 10s.
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2010, 09:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
Also, you have the option to wait >20s for the GPS to respond. I don't think this works in reality, because webOS kills an app that runs 10s without showing a stage.
Thanks for your information.

The app now creates a dashboard stage when updating and ends it when the update is done. I hope this prevents it from being killed.

I also added an option to set, whether the device should be woken up if the alarm expires. It defaults to yes.
christophl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2010, 01:35 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
Great, thanks! Testing it now...

A question about the age of the fix:
This can be set from 0s to 600s. What does 0s mean? Does it mean, it does not care about the age? If not, then there should be such an option.
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2010, 12:41 AM   #39 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
It works much better now with the latest changes. :-)

One more question:
Currently it always sends an update to Google, even if the position did not change. Is this "common behavior" of Latitude clients or do others only send an update if the position changed?

And one more feature request:
Please do not send an update when starting the app. Instead, have a button "update now".

Thanks!
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2010, 04:27 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
A question about the age of the fix:
This can be set from 0s to 600s. What does 0s mean? Does it mean, it does not care about the age?
No it does mean that the position has to be determined on every update and no cached data may be used. Originally i had an fix value of 300 or so but the position was usually older. I'm currently writing a manual where the options will be described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
Currently it always sends an update to Google, even if the position did not change. Is this "common behavior" of Latitude clients or do others only send an update if the position changed?
This might be a thing to be changed. But you have at least to upload the position once an hour or otherwise latitude might display you as inactive. I will think about a way to implement this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
Please do not send an update when starting the app. Instead, have a button "update now".
OK
christophl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0