Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Pretext

Simple text editor for WebOS. Includes ability to load from and save to a folder on the usb partition (currently locked to /media/internal/pretext), and to switch between fixed width fonts and change the colour of text.

I'll post a link as soon as it passes submission.

---

Update 30/08/10:

Version 0.1.1 available now: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/pretext

---

Update 30/08/10:

If you encounter an issue with Pretext you can report it here: Google Code - webos-pretext
    Last edited by semprance; 08/30/2010 at 05:22 PM.
    sshaka likes this.
    What file types will it support?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  3.    #3  
    Anything you want, you can decide the file extension (or not have one at all). Encoding options are unavailable for the moment.
    So it would not be able to open & edit Word 03 .doc or Word 07 .docx files?
  5.    #5  
    No, it's more for editing basic text files and scripts and so on.
    What separates this from Internalz' file editor?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  7.    #7  
    At the moment very little. the ability to change the font pretty much. I have more features planned for the future but I don't want to talk too much about them until I've thought them over.

Right now, it mostly just allows you to write and save text files quickly that are accessible through USB.

It uses the filemgr service to read/write (same as Internalz).
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Got this to work by manually creating my own folder called "pretext" in media/internal/.

If your files won't save, try this.
  9.    #9  
    It should check for the '/media/internal/pretext' folder automatically, and create it if it's not there. Are you experiencing functionality different from this?

If so I can try and fix it. Also, I'll be putting a link to somewhere that bugs can be entered as soon as possible.
    +1 it didn't create a folder for me the snes emulator said it couldn't create one b/c of the fstab error, but I shouldn't have that b/c I doctored to 1.4.5... I can create a directory w/ internalz.
  11.    #11  
    It seems that the directory-checking code didn't make it over from the prototype. An update will be available very soon.
    Only being able to access files in the media/internal/pretext folder seems quite limiting. At some point will you be able to access files in other folders?
  13.    #13  
    Yes, I plan to change that in the near future. As the app is relatively new and I'm still familiarising myself with the filemgr service, I decided it should be constrained to one folder to minimise the chance of any other pre-existing files being altered.

I'm still waiting on having a dependency set for the filemgr service. Once this is done I'll release a new update.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    nice to see another text editor to choose from. Will be trying it out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    Yes, I plan to change that in the near future. As the app is relatively new and I'm still familiarising myself with the filemgr service, I decided it should be constrained to one folder to minimise the chance of any other pre-existing files being altered.

I'm still waiting on having a dependency set for the filemgr service. Once this is done I'll release a new update.
    Awesome. As it stands now, if you need to use Internalz to move the file into the correct folder then it's easier just to use the editor built into Internalz.

The interface looks very nice and I'm looking forward to future updates.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Awesome. As it stands now, if you need to use Internalz to move the file into the correct folder then it's easier just to use the editor built into Internalz.

The interface looks very nice and I'm looking forward to future updates.
    Thanks, I'm still toying with whether or not to include full file-system access. If I do it'll sort of defeat the purpose - I don't want this app to be an underdeveloped version of Internalz with the focus moved to file-editing rather than file-management. Internalz already does a great job. This app is really just for making text-files quickly while on the move.

In terms of new features I'm considering adding API access for a few simple note-management style systems. I've never really used any before so I'm familiarising myself with a few (namely scribd and SimpleNote).

If any of you have a preference for a particular note-management/publishing let me know and I'll consider it for a future update.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Please change that iphone ugly icon, other than that great app.
    DaVince >IIIxe > Visor Platinum+visorphone > Clie-SJ33 > Tungsten T3>Palm TX>LifeDrive(Flash)>Treo 650>Treo 700p>PalmPrePlus2.1
  18.    #18  
    Which one?

They're all from the Tango Icons pack. I chose them because they are easily accessible and redistributable.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    sorry about that, the launcher icon.
  20.    #20  
    Yeah, I have no real artistic abilities so I just typed 'pt' into a text box in Paint.

If you or anyone else can point me to a better icon that is public-domain or free for commercial licence, let me know and if it's acceptable I'll include it in a future update. If not then it'll just have to stay the same for now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast