Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    Hi there,

    welcome to the GarOnField Thread. This App is currently in Beta and till then only available via Preware / WOQI or similar software. For Garfield fans it is a must have .
    Right now it has only limited functions. This is planned for the future:

    - save comics local storage
    - jump to date
    - check if already viewed
    - view the comics strip release date
    - send comics via mail, sms, mms, facebook, twitter

    Please report anything that's missing and you might think of. Thanks!

    Here are some screenshots:



    What's new?:

    Version 1.0.1:

    - added the ability to swipe
    - fixed christmas bug
    - updated GUI
    - cache next picture (thinking about to cache even more)
    - showing date of comic strip

    Known Bugs:

    - You won't reach Christmas with this App. Will be fixed soon ! *should be fixed*
    - Going past 19.06.1987 will cause a cookie bug
    - Going further then the current date causes a cookie bug
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. #2  
    Thanks for this app! I'm a big Garfield fan! <3

    Some thoughts on the app:

    • It would be nice if we could swipe to the next or previous comic.. and probably cache the next and last 3 or so to make viewing faster

    • If it's legal, sending the actual comic would be nice, even uploading these to Facebook or something. Some strips just remind you of other people, and it'd be great to share it with them.

    • No portrait mode, no menu access.

    • I like the status message on top, and the circular progress/online status bar.. but since the comic loads fit-to-width, maybe a better layout?

    All in all, trouble-free experience Again, thanks!

    (I use preGym all the time as well! Another great app! )
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Thanks for this app! I'm a big Garfield fan! <3

    Some thoughts on the app:

    • It would be nice if we could swipe to the next or previous comic.. and probably cache the next and last 3 or so to make viewing faster

    • If it's legal, sending the actual comic would be nice, even uploading these to Facebook or something. Some strips just remind you of other people, and it'd be great to share it with them.

    • No portrait mode, no menu access.

    • I like the status message on top, and the circular progress/online status bar.. but since the comic loads fit-to-width, maybe a better layout?

    All in all, trouble-free experience Again, thanks!

    (I use preGym all the time as well! Another great app! )
    Hi there ! Thanks for all the tips. I already figured out the cache and swipe function with the new version (1.0.1). Within the next version I will add a menu but not the original palm way. I want to keep the app in landscape mode (for now). I will think about a rewiped GUI. Thought about something like 'swiping in' controls that vanish while reading. It's legal to distribute the comics.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JuJulian1987 View Post
    Hi there ! Thanks for all the tips. I already figured out the cache and swipe function with the new version (1.0.1). Within the next version I will add a menu but not the original palm way. I want to keep the app in landscape mode (for now). I will think about a rewiped GUI. Thought about something like 'swiping in' controls that vanish while reading. It's legal to distribute the comics.
    With all due respect, are you certain that Paws Inc. (the owners of Garfield) have no issue with your creating a (free or paid) application, using its trademarks and copyrighted work? Before you spend your time (and risk your money) on the app, this page may be of interest. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    With all due respect, are you certain that Paws Inc. (the owners of Garfield) have no issue with your creating a (free or paid) application, using its trademarks and copyrighted work? Before you spend your time (and risk your money) on the app, this page may be of interest. {Jonathan}
    No this copyright has nothing to do with my app. I don't host these images. It's ucomics.com where you can view over 100 dialy comics from newspapers an so on official. You could just open your palm's browser and use this site instead of my app. It's the same conflict with hulu and boxee. "Are you allowed to use puplic content hosted on the internet for your own commercial application?" Answer is yes .


    Update:
    I just looked up the link you are pointing to. I would like u to try 'Get a garfield comic strip for free everyday???' link on this webpage. Guess where you are heading to... ucomics.com
  6. #6  
    The potential issue I see isn't the browsing of strips, it's marketing (free or not) an app leveraging Paws' copyrights and trademarks. They have the right to control that. That's where you could potentially have some problems. {Jonathan}
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    The potential issue I see isn't the browsing of strips, it's marketing (free or not) an app leveraging Paws' copyrights and trademarks. They have the right to control that. That's where you could potentially have some problems. {Jonathan}
    Well I have to check this. Thank you.
    But in my opinion that can't be the case. Let's say I build a browser with which you can also see the content from ucomics.com. Would this be a legal issue? Of cause not.
    I do nothing else. I build an app with which you can view the content of ucomics.com. I'm not responsible for the content, I'm not hosting the content and I'm not marketing it. So there is nothing to control.

    Anyway I will ask a lawyer about that. Till then just enjoy the app. I would have also no problem with leaving it homebrew only.
  8. #8  
    please create an app like this for Dilbert!

    well done on the garfield app, btw!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    please create an app like this for Dilbert!

    well done on the garfield app, btw!
    Well I don't know if those are hosted anywhere for free in the internet. If you know a source please report here and I will create one .
  10. #10  
    I like the new swipe interface, though that idea for caching the next three is still a good idea.

    I don't think that you need to show the "getting next comic/comic loaded" information blurb on the top, just the little red/green light works fine, though make it a bit bigger. You can throw the date into that space.

    Also, archive support is what I'm looking for next version!

    Thanks for the work!

    Dilbert is hosted free on the Dilbert website.
  11. #11  
    Neat little app. A couple requests:

    • hide the top/bottom bars when displaying the Sunday multi-line comics—they're slightly too small to read as-is without zooming in
    • offer an alternate way to advance to the next comic, such as a keypress—swiping doesn't always work

    Thanks!

    (By the way, I know it's probably outside your control, but that "Get a Laugh!" after every comic is really obnoxious.)
  12. #12  
    I've had this app since day since day 1 but notice now I can't find it in the app store,beta apps or anywhere. Also when I click on it in my apps view it says not a valid app, where did it go?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    Neat little app. A couple requests:

    • hide the top/bottom bars when displaying the Sunday multi-line comics—they're slightly too small to read as-is without zooming in
    • offer an alternate way to advance to the next comic, such as a keypress—swiping doesn't always work

    Thanks!

    (By the way, I know it's probably outside your control, but that "Get a Laugh!" after every comic is really obnoxious.)
    Hey thanks for the request and sorry for the late response. Busy updating comercial apps. Always the priority .

    Swiping doesn't always work because the image wasn't already loaded. With the new Version Buffering is now enabled and should run much smoother now. However it still doesn't buffer more then one in both directions. So swiping problems could still occur with bad data connection or to fast swiping.

    It's and good idea to remove the top bar for sunday comics. Also thinking about a standart zoom in for those... Problem here they are not always that big. So sometimes zooming wouldn't ne needed. I'll check if I can fetch the demensions of a picture. Then this would be possible.

    I'm not able to remove the go comics banner. Since I don't host these images and webos sdk isn't capable of cutting images. But will keep this in mind for a nice to have.

    @Hrolf You'll find this in Preware or WOQI. Was never in official App Catalog.
  14. #14  
    I just love this app. Garfield is the funniest comic. If anything is missing from this app, it's a bookmark/favorite feature. I'd love to mark certain strips so I can access just those strips later on.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I just love this app. Garfield is the funniest comic. If anything is missing from this app, it's a bookmark/favorite feature. I'd love to mark certain strips so I can access just those strips later on.
    Thank you ! Dont worry this feature will come too. But GarOnField is dismissed and will be replaced by a ucomics Browser. Will come in the next days.

    Regards,
    Julian
  16. #16  
    Oh nice, I'd like to browse other comics too, but Garfield is still my favorite.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Posting Permissions