Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Homebrew App Catalog link . Calc12CS

This is a development of Calc12C, and is a financial/statistical/scientific calculator.

I have decided to make it a different program because of the need to move away from the way that the 12C did some things. This will give those that want to stick with the old format the way of doing that. The 12C used all of the [f] options of the numeric keys to select the number of decimal points. In order to recover all of those to use for other things I have implemented [f][FIX] 0..9 as the decimal point selection.

Algebraic calculator - [f] [ALG]
    Reverse Polish calculator - [f] [RPN]

Pre mode.

Pixi mode - top row of keys swaps as in Calc12C by tapping the left or right hand edge of the screen.

Current scientific additions. ( f key prefix )
    SCI - Set the display to scientific exponential notation, where the numeric value is adjusted to be less than 10 and exponent adjusted accordingly and the number of decimal places is set to entered digit. [f][SCI] 0..9
    ENG - Set the display to engineering exponential notation, where the numeric value is adjusted to be less than 1,000 and exponent adjusted to the required multiple of three and the number of decimal places is set to entered digit. [f][ENG] 0..9
    FIX - set number of decimal places to entered digit. [f][FIX] 0..9
    10^x - 10 to the power of x.
    LOG - Log (base 10) of x.
    D/R/G - set the units of angles successively to degrees, radians and grads. DEG/RAD/GRD shown in status line.
    SIN, COS ,TAN - trig. functions sine, cosine and tangent
    SIN-1, COS-1, TAN-1 - inverse trig. functions arcsine, arccosine and arctangent.
    PI - returns the constant Pi
    ->R - convert the vector defined by an angle in the y-register and magnitude in the x-register to the corresponding X and Y coordinates.
    ->P - convert the X and Y coordinates in the corresponding registers to the corresponding polar coordinates. (angle in the y-register and magnitude in the x-register)
    ->H.MS - The value in the x-register is interpretted as a number of hours and is converted to hours minutes and seconds, where the whole number is hours, the next 2 digits are minutes, the next 2 digits are seconds and the remaining digits are decimal parts of a second.
    ->HRS - The value in the x-register is interpretted as H.MMSSsss, where the whole number is hours, next 2 digits minutes, next two digits seconds and the remainder of the digits are decimal parts of a seconds, and the x value is converted to decimal hours.
    Note: ->HRS & ->H.MS can obviously be applied to angular degrees. eg Latitude and Longitude.

Vector Additions
    The Polar <-> Rectangular coordinates conversions together with the existing Sigma (summation) functions, provide the ability to do vector additions and subtractions. You simply convert your polar vector (angle in y, magnitude in x) into rectangular coordinates [g][->R], and sum those coordinates using the sigma+ function. When you have added all of the vectors RCL 4, RCL 2 to get the sum of the x and y coordinates and use [g][->P] to convert back to polar coordinates. (angle in y, magnitude in x)

Feedback is selectable between 'vibrate' (not on TouchPad), 'click', 'both' and 'none' by a tap on the display area. Icons corresponding to the selection are shown just to the right of the display. Note : Use the haptic feedback option in sconix's Advanced Configuration for System Preferences patch for less lag.

Date Calculations
    The following notes are just to highlight the date calculation functions that are available from this calculator because there has been interest expressed in these sort of calculations in other threads on P|C.

[g][D.MY] & [g][M.DY] allow you to change the display format for dates between DD.MMYYYY N and MM.DDYYYY N. (where N is the day number in the week - Monday=1). The appropriate label is displayed in the on-screen status line.
    [f][TDY] display todays date.
    [g][DATE] - add days to date. Enter a date in the selected format, press [ENTER], enter the number of days to add, {press [CHS] if necessary}, press [g][DATE] and the new date is displayed.
    [g][ΔDYS] - calculate the number of days between two dates. Enter a date in the selected format, press [ENTER], enter another date in the selected format, press [g][DYS] and the number of day between the dates is displayed.
    What day of the week is a date? Use the [g][Date] function to add 0 days to the date, day of the week is displayed in N of the formated output (see above).

Hardware Keyboard mapping
    Numbers, decimal point/comma and arithmetic (+,-,*,/)
    Enter/Return or Equal sign = ENTER
    C = CLx (Clear x)
    H = CHS (change signal)
    E = EEX
    Modifiers: (F, G, S, R) map to (f, g, STO, RCL) modifiers
    Financial: (N, I, P, M, V) map to (n, i, PV, PMT and FV) operations.
    Percentage: (#, $, %) map to (T%, delta% and %)
    ! = power (y**x)
    \ = inverse (1/x)
    X = swap x with y (x<->y)
    D = Rotate down stack (R-down)
    W = Add statistical tuple (sigma-plus key)
    O = Toogles between decimal point and comma, and also saves memory as a cookie.
    Backspace = correct typing

It is in the Homebrew Catalog, but you can download the linked .ipk below

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11474544/com...0.22.0_all.ipk

version if using Touchpad with webOS 3.0.5
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11474544/com...0.24.0_all.ipk

Updates
    2nd February 2012
    * Updated to correct orientation problem with TP version introduced by 3.0.5 - 0.24.0
    2nd November 2011
    * Updated to correct orientation problem with TP version introduced by 3.0.4 - 0.22.0
    * Disabled vibrate for TP to avoid crashes.
    21st March 2011
    * operates in Exhibition Mode for webOS 2.1 and later.
    31st October 2010
    * Fixed display of data in EEX operation.
    27th September 2010
    * SCI & ENG formats added
    22nd September 2010
    * Feedback selection added
    21st September 2010
    * Corrected a bug in the Last x processing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johncc; 02/12/2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: update for exhibition mode
  2.    #2  
    Now in the Homebrew App Catalog. Calc12CS
    Last edited by johncc; 04/03/2011 at 05:09 AM.
    This looks great! Thanks!

So, is the plan to have two versions of the HP12 available? Out of curiousity (OK, and self interest!), had you considered doing an 11C or 15C instead of a hybrid 12C?

Regards,
    Tom
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    This looks great! Thanks!

So, is the plan to have two versions of the HP12 available? Out of curiousity (OK, and self interest!), had you considered doing an 11C or 15C instead of a hybrid 12C?

Regards,
    Tom
    Hi Tom,

Yes. Plan to have both the 12C and 12CS available. Leaving the 12C as more or less standard and the 12CS having additional scientific capabilities.

Don't really see 11C and 15C versions on the horizon. What components of them are you interested in. eg I could probably implement hyperbolic functions, if that was useful. If it is the matrix or complex operations of the 15C that are of interest? (That sounds a bit difficult )
    Last edited by johncc; 02/16/2012 at 10:25 PM.
    johncc-
    Although not a feature of the original HP 11C or 15C, the WebOS Scientific RPN Calculator app (apparently no longer being maintained by its developer Marco) includes a very useful unit conversion utility which uses two main scene buttons for operation. One button loads a scene to select the units from and to, and the second button causes the selected conversion to operate on the value in the x register.

If you would consider adding this functionality to Calc12CS it would become a scientific financial marvel!
    Vegas89134
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas89134 View Post
    johncc-
    Although not a feature of the original HP 11C or 15C, the WebOS Scientific RPN Calculator app (apparently no longer being maintained by its developer Marco) includes a very useful unit conversion utility which uses two main scene buttons for operation. One button loads a scene to select the units from and to, and the second button causes the selected conversion to operate on the value in the x register.

If you would consider adding this functionality to Calc12CS it would become a scientific financial marvel!
    Marco actually posted a couple of time recently, so he's still around.

I'll have a think about conversions, although it's not something that I personally have a lot of use for.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Hi Tom,

Yes. Plan to have both the 12C and 12CS available. Leaving the 12C as more or less standard and the 12CS having additional scientific capabilities.

Don't really see 11C and 15C versions on the horizon. What components of them are you interested in. eg I could probably implement hyperbolic functions, if that was useful. Is it the matrix or complex operations of the 15C that are of interest? (That sounds a bit difficult )
    It's not so much a matter of missing functionality, as quicker access to more sci/eng functions (i.e. non shifted), and more closely maintaining the key layouts of the two original calculators. An added benefit to non-shifted keys, is the larger font for those functions (eyes are getting old!). And, speaking of larger font, I really like the large readout of your calculator. That was about my only remaining complaint with Marco's RPN calc (which I helped beta test). Unlike Marco's calc, which is merely HP-esque, I guess I'm pining for my old 11C.

So, long story short, I was thinking since it appears you're going to maintain two calculators, I thought I'd put in a vote for one of them being a truly scientific calculator. So, how's that for ungrateful?

Regards,
    Tom (who actually IS grateful!)
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    It's not so much a matter of missing functionality, as quicker access to more sci/eng functions (i.e. non shifted), and more closely maintaining the key layouts of the two original calculators. An added benefit to non-shifted keys, is the larger font for those functions (eyes are getting old!). And, speaking of larger font, I really like the large readout of your calculator. That was about my only remaining complaint with Marco's RPN calc (which I helped beta test). Unlike Marco's calc, which is merely HP-esque, I guess I'm pining for my old 11C.

So, long story short, I was thinking since it appears you're going to maintain two calculators, I thought I'd put in a vote for one of them being a truly scientific calculator. So, how's that for ungrateful?

Regards,
    Tom (who actually IS grateful!)
    No worrries Tom. Your points are noted. If it were just a matter of rearranging access to the currently available functions onto an 11C 15C keyboard then it would probably be doable without an inordinate amount of work. (I'd have to change the labelling over from being part of the keyboard image to HTML and redefine the CSS under program control.) We'll see if the mood strikes me one day.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Hi John

I have your HP (Calc12C now Calc12CS) installed.
    What holds me a bit off from using it is the vibration (feedback). Because there is a notable delay between pressing a key and the vibration, which is somewhat irritating.
    Moreover, I don't really like it.
    Would it be possible to either make it an option. To be set through some special unused function keys of the calc, or eventually through a preference menu or alike.
    Alternatively switch it off completely.

Else, I like your calculator.

PS: I barely dare to ask: But if you are going to make some other HP versions / layouts, it would be nice to have the "HP 32S II".

Greetings from Switzerland,
    Rolf
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    Hi John

I have your HP (Calc12C now Calc12CS) installed.
    What holds me a bit off from using it is the vibration (feedback). Because there is a notable delay between pressing a key and the vibration, which is somewhat irritating.
    Moreover, I don't really like it.
    Would it be possible to either make it an option. To be set through some special unused function keys of the calc, or eventually through a preference menu or alike.
    Alternatively switch it off completely.

Else, I like your calculator.

PS: I barely dare to ask: But if you are going to make some other HP versions / layouts, it would be nice to have the "HP 32S II".

Greetings from Switzerland,
    Rolf
    Hi Rolf,

Looks like a few people would prefer not to have the vibrate on keystrokes. I have to admit that the lag is annoying, but I do like the positive feedback.

Does anybody else except me like the vibrate/haptic feedback?

I will implement a selectable option over the next few days.

Re the 32S. Doubtful I'd say. 11C layout is some chance.

John.
    Does anybody else except me like the vibrate/haptic feedback?

I will implement a selectable option over the next few days.

Re the 32S. Doubtful I'd say. 11C layout is some chance.

John.
    I like/need the haptic feedback. I need the feedback to know that I have pressed a key. However, the delayed vibration is not only annoying, but also slows down my key entry waiting for the feedback. Indeed, I concur with the sentiment that is what is holding me back. If you can nix the delay, it would be super.

What I am really looking for are simple scientific capabilities in addition to simple financial functions. No need for programmability. What's missing in the your current functionality is the lack of ability to display in sci and eng notations. To me, eng notation is essential.
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    I like/need the haptic feedback. I need the feedback to know that I have pressed a key. However, the delayed vibration is not only annoying, but also slows down my key entry waiting for the feedback. Indeed, I concur with the sentiment that is what is holding me back. If you can nix the delay, it would be super.

What I am really looking for are simple scientific capabilities in addition to simple financial functions. No need for programmability. What's missing in the your current functionality is the lack of ability to display in sci and eng notations. To me, eng notation is essential.
    Unfortunately, I think that the delay is inevitable with the current hardware. I don't know if piezo is an option for vibrate in phones, but something like that would get rid of the mechanical delay.

SCI & ENG are on my to do list.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    No need for programmability.
    The progammability is actually quite useful for short repeated calculations.
    eg
    * Mark up prices by a percentage (store % in Register 1), program is (ENTER RCL 1 % +)
    * Mark saw cuts to be made at a fixed interval (program adds the interval stored in Register 1 each time it runs), program is (RCL 1 +)
    No biggie, but instead of several keystrokes you can just press R/S.
    Last edited by johncc; 02/16/2012 at 10:28 PM.
  14.    #15  
    I have uploaded version 0.0.3 to the OP and the Homebrew Catalog. It corrects a bug in the Lastx operation. I am surprised that nobody else had reported it.

@ luau joe. Hope to have a bit more time in the next few weeks to implement selectable feedback and SCI & ENG display.
    Last edited by johncc; 11/01/2010 at 05:09 PM.
  15.    #16  
    Feedback is selectable between 'vibrate', 'click', 'both' and 'none' by a tap on the display area. Icons corresponding to the selection are shown just to the right of the display.

OP and Homebrew Catalog updated
    Last edited by johncc; 09/23/2010 at 01:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Nice looking app. I was one of the first to buy an HP-45 (I think it was around $450!) and was hooked on RPN.
  17.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Nice looking app. I was one of the first to buy an HP-45 (I think it was around $450!) and was hooked on RPN.
    And they were 'real' dollars too.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    If I recall right, my first HP was an HP 34C. An LED segment display. About 30 years ago.

Since then, I never bought any other calculator than a HP with RPN.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Feedback is selectable between 'vibrate', 'click', 'both' and 'none' by a tap on the display area. Icons corresponding to the selection are shown just to the right of the display.
    Thanks John

Is much better without the (delayed) vibration.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast