Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    [QUOTE=rgloor;2677112]If I recall right, my first HP was an HP 34C. An LED segment display. About 30 years ago.

I am still using my 30 yr old HP11c daily.
  2.    #22  
    First post and Homebrew updated with version 0.1.0 which includes SCI and ENG display formats.

SCI - Set the display to scientific exponential notation, where the numeric value is adjusted to be less than 10 and exponent adjusted accordingly and the number of decimal places is set to entered digit. [f][SCI] 0..9
    ENG - Set the display to engineering exponential notation, where the numeric value is adjusted to be less than 1,000 and exponent adjusted to the required multiple of three and the number of decimal places is set to entered digit. [f][ENG] 0..9
    Thanks, JohnCC, for the SCI and ENG formats. Exactly what I have been waiting for! Homebrew feed is down right now, but I will update at first opportunity today and give it a real working tryout!

**edit**@ 5pm John, it's already late in the afternoon, and Preware feed still shows Cal12CS at version 0.0.4.
    Last edited by luau joe; 09/27/2010 at 03:59 PM.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    Thanks, JohnCC, for the SCI and ENG formats. Exactly what I have been waiting for! Homebrew feed is down right now, but I will update at first opportunity today and give it a real working tryout!

**edit**@ 5pm John, it's already late in the afternoon, and Preware feed still shows Cal12CS at version 0.0.4.
    I suppose that you did update your feeds?

I see it is there now. (8:45 am in AUS) The Preware feeds seem to take a finite time to include updates. Not sure of the mechanism, but I would guess there's a scheduled update cycle. (It would have been available immediately from the P|C Homebrew Catalog.) If you have Preware installed, you can use the download link in the Homebrew App Catalog from your phone and Preware will handle the download and install to your device.

There is an ongoing minor problem with the entry of data using EEX. Entering just a power of ten is okay, but when you enter a number then exponent is when it occurs. At the stage when you press EEX after the number is entered, the number is converted to scientific exponential format (number < 10 and exponent). You just need to type in two digits for the appropriate exponent. eg Want 546 million; enter 546 EEX -> 5.46 02 ; type 08 -> 5.46 08 ; press ENTER (in ENG, 2 decimals) -> 546.00 06. I will fix it so that the number is left as entered and the exponent is initially 00.
    Last edited by johncc; 09/30/2010 at 03:17 AM. Reason: edited Preware download reference
  5.    #25  
    Date Calculations
    These notes are just to highlight the date calculation functions that are available from this calculator because there has been interest expressed in these sort of calculations in other threads on P|C.

[g][D.MY] & [g][M.DY] allow you to change the display format for dates between DD.MMYYYY N and MM.DDYYYY N. (where N is the day number in the week - Monday=1). The appropriate label is displayed in the on-screen status line.
    [f][TDY] display todays date.
    [g][DATE] - add days to date. Enter a date in the selected format, press [ENTER], enter the number of days to add, {press [CHS] if necessary}, press [g][DATE] and the new date is displayed.
    [g][ΔDYS] - calculate the number of days between two dates. Enter a date in the selected format, press [ENTER], enter another date in the selected format, press [g][DYS] and the number of day between the dates is displayed.

What week day is a date on. eg What weekday is Xmas day 2015?
    In D.MY mode, Enter 25.122015 [ENTER] 0 [g][[ΔDYS] -> 25.122015 5 (5 = Friday).
    Last edited by johncc; 11/13/2010 at 07:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I suppose that you did update your feeds?

I see it is there now. (8:45 am in AUS) The Preware feeds seem to take a finite time to include updates. Not sure of the mechanism, but I would guess there's a scheduled update cycle. (It would have been available immediately from the P|C Homebrew Catalog.) If you have Preware installed, you can use the download link in the Homebrew App Catalog from your phone and Preware will handle the download and install to your device.

There is an ongoing minor problem with the entry of data using EEX. Entering just a power of ten is okay, but when you enter a number then exponent is when it occurs. At the stage when you press EEX after the number is entered, the number is converted to scientific exponential format (number < 10 and exponent). You just need to type in two digits for the appropriate exponent. eg Want 546 million; enter 546 EEX -> 5.46 02 ; type 08 -> 5.46 08 ; press ENTER (in ENG, 2 decimals) -> 546.00 06. I will fix it so that the number is left as entered and the exponent is initially 00.
    This problem is quite vexing to me. I'm looking forward to the fix. Another issue for me is that the program runs fairly slowly. Can we make the performance faster?
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by pokada View Post
    This problem is quite vexing to me. I'm looking forward to the fix. Another issue for me is that the program runs fairly slowly. Can we make the performance faster?
    Sorry, but I'm busy with other things at present. Probably a time-frame of a couple of weeks for a fix to EEX.

I guess that when you say slow you are referring to key entries. If so, please note that you do not have to wait for the feeback to finish before starting to make the next key entry. (As a test I keyed in digits 0..9 within 6 seconds). You can of course use the hardware keyboard for zero delay.
    Last edited by johncc; 11/13/2010 at 07:46 PM.
    Sorry, but I'm busy with other things at present. Probably a time-frame of a couple of weeks for a fix to EEX.

I guess that when you say slow you are referring to key entries. If so, please note that you do not have to wait for the feeback to finish before starting to make the next key entry. (As a test I keyed in digits 0..9 within 6 seconds)
    I appreciate the reply. My problem with the slow key entries is probably just my perception. I use a hp-15c when I am at work and the response to key presses is instantaneous. I can enter 10 different digits in about 2.5 seconds. When I run the same test on Simple RPN Calculator it takes about a second longer, mainly because of the lack of the tactile feedback that you get from a raised keyboard. The same tests takes 7 seconds in Calc12CS since I wait for the vibration before I enter the next key stroke. I haven't tried the audio feedback because it is too low in volume (or too high in frequency) for me to hear.
  9.    #29  
    I appreciate the reply. My problem with the slow key entries is probably just my perception. I use a hp-15c when I am at work and the response to key presses is instantaneous. I can enter 10 different digits in about 2.5 seconds. When I run the same test on Simple RPN Calculator it takes about a second longer, mainly because of the lack of the tactile feedback that you get from a raised keyboard. The same tests takes 7 seconds in Calc12CS since I wait for the vibration before I enter the next key stroke. I haven't tried the audio feedback because it is too low in volume (or too high in frequency) for me to hear.
    4 per second. Very impressive!

Unfortunately I have not got much control over the feeback characteristics. Maybe webOS 2.0 will deliver more flexibility. We can always hope. I will try and get onto EEX as soon as I can.
    4 per second. Very impressive!

Unfortunately I have not got much control over the feeback characteristics. Maybe webOS 2.0 will deliver more flexibility. We can always hope. I will try and get onto EEX as soon as I can.
    I just discovered that I can use the slide out keyboard to enter numbers. Now I can enter 10 digits in about 3.5 seconds! That's great. In this mode of entry, I know how to enter +, - ,/ ,* , backspace, enter. Are there any other keyboard mappings that I should know about? In particular do you have a mapping for the CHS and EEX keys?
  11.    #31  
    I just discovered that I can use the slide out keyboard to enter numbers. Now I can enter 10 digits in about 3.5 seconds! That's great. In this mode of entry, I know how to enter +, - ,/ ,* , backspace, enter. Are there any other keyboard mappings that I should know about? In particular do you have a mapping for the CHS and EEX keys?
    I guess that I should have repeated the mappings from the 12C thread here. I have now updated the OP.

/* Keyboard mapping
    Numbers, decimal point/comma and arithmetic (+,-,*,/)
    Enter/Return or Equal sign = ENTER
    C = CLx (Clear x)
    H = CHS (change signal)
    E = EEX
    Modifiers: (F, G, S, R) map to (f, g, STO, RCL) modifiers
    Financial: (N, I, P, M, V) map to (n, i, PV, PMT and FV) operations.
    Percentage: (#, $, %) map to (T%, delta% and %)
    ! = power (y**x)
    \ = inverse (1/x)
    X = swap x with y (x<->y)
    D = Rotate down stack (R-down)
    W = Add statistical tuple (sigma-plus key)
    O = Toogles between decimal point and comma, and also saves memory as a cookie.
    Backspace = correct typing
    */
    Hi John,

I've installed the calc12c, removed it and installed the calc12cs. I would expect the SCI and ENG functionality above key 8, 9 resp. I do not see them.
    It seems I have some 12c, 12cs hybrid.
    Is there help?
    Thank you in advance.
    Axel
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelMK View Post
    Hi John,

I've installed the calc12c, removed it and installed the calc12cs. I would expect the SCI and ENG functionality above key 8, 9 resp. I do not see them.
    It seems I have some 12c, 12cs hybrid.
    Is there help?
    Thank you in advance.
    Axel
    Hi Axel,

I have installed and unistalled them both at various times and have both versions installed at the moment. I load them both at once too. How did you install them?

John
    Hi Axel,

I have installed and unistalled them both at various times and have both versions installed at the moment. I load them both at once too. How did you install them?

John
    Hi John,

normally over preware. I am not able to attach a screenshot.
    Therefore: tinyurl.com/35c3c8e

Axel
    Hi John,

I loaded it normally with Preware. In my personal section I have a screenshot of the situation. There you will see the missing things.

Axel
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelMK View Post
    Hi John,

I loaded it normally with Preware. In my personal section I have a screenshot of the situation. There you will see the missing things.

Axel

My apologies to you and others. When I updated on 27th September I did not upload the version 0.1.0 ipk. You will find that your version is 0.0.4. Re-download (initially using the Homebrew App Catalog download link) and you should be good to go.

It's surprising that nobody else mentioned it.

EDIT: Actually, luau_joe did on the 28th Sept. Special apologies to him.
    Last edited by johncc; 10/23/2010 at 09:51 PM.
    [QUOTE=luau joe;2677238]
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    If I recall right, my first HP was an HP 34C. An LED segment display. About 30 years ago.

I am still using my 30 yr old HP11c daily.
    That is OK, I have a 15+ year old HP 19BII that I use when I need more than basic math.

Hewlett Packard HP-19B and HP-19BII - Wiki
    12C a financial calculator! Scientific notation, engineering notation in particular are absent from the 12C. Their specs can be compared at hpmuseum.org (you work is brilliant by the way)!!
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by cLOWNgOD View Post
    12C a financial calculator! Scientific notation, engineering notation in particular are absent from the 12C. Their specs can be compared at hpmuseum.org (you work is brilliant by the way)!!
    Hence the added S in the title.

Not to be confused with this one Calc12C
    Last edited by johncc; 11/13/2010 at 07:48 PM.
  20.    #40  
    The display of data in the EEX function has been fixed.

The .zip file in the first post has been updated as has the Homebrew Catalog (Use the Homebrew App Catalog download link until the Preware feed updates).
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast