Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Where can it be found on Web os?
    My History of the last 10 years with Sprint! Palm Pre is by far the BEST!

First, this app is not showing up in Preware. I did download it and use Internalz 1.2 to install it just fine. I'm using version 0.0.998.

There should be an 'About' in the menu, so we can get the version and link to support.

So now to my problem:

What is this app supposed to do or how is it supposed to work.

I have not figured out how to modify the Profiles? I hit the edit button or have even tried the 'edit' in the menu, but where are the options to modify the Profiles.

Do you have some sort of instructions on how to use this yet?

And I'm not trying to compare, but is this app supposed to be something similar to Mode Switcher?

I see how to scroll to the available profiles. So far the interface looks easy. I just don't know how to set the profiles up to do the things suggested like Wallpaper, etc.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    First, this app is not showing up in Preware. I did download it and use Internalz 1.2 to install it just fine. I'm using version 0.0.998.

There should be an 'About' in the menu, so we can get the version and link to support.

So now to my problem:

What is this app supposed to do or how is it supposed to work.

I have not figured out how to modify the Profiles? I hit the edit button or have even tried the 'edit' in the menu, but where are the options to modify the Profiles.

Do you have some sort of instructions on how to use this yet?

And I'm not trying to compare, but is this app supposed to be something similar to Mode Switcher?

I see how to scroll to the available profiles. So far the interface looks easy. I just don't know how to set the profiles up to do the things suggested like Wallpaper, etc.

Thanks!

Rob
    I'm adding instructions to next release. But, what it does is takes a copy of your current launcher, dock layouts and wallpaper that is currently set. You create new profiles but rearranging your launcher icons and dock icons and by changing the wallpaper. Then,save it to a profile in edit mode. Hope that clears things up
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by huffman01 View Post
    Where can it be found on Web os?
    you can instal it via webos quick instal. Make sure you have filemgr and Preware installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by diov View Post
    I'm adding instructions to next release. But, what it does is takes a copy of your current launcher, dock layouts and wallpaper that is currently set. You create new profiles but rearranging your launcher icons and dock icons and by changing the wallpaper. Then,save it to a profile in edit mode. Hope that clears things up
    You still didn't answer what many people have asked. What is a dock layout or dock icons??
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    You still didn't answer what many people have asked. What is a dock layout or dock icons??
    I have 4 launcher pages right now...sorted by type. The icons are also in a certain order on each page. I believe that is what he is referring to. I'm not quite sure under what circumstances someone would want a different order for their icons, but that's just me. Other than that it changes the wallpaper. Not sure but I think that's all for now...but the potential for full themes that change each day automatically is probably possible..
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
  7.    #47  
    dock icons and the dock is the four icons along the bottom of the screen along with the launcher button
    ok, so I have played with this a little bit today and I have a few suggestions for future versions. At this point is all I can see that it does is change the order of icons and dock icons along with changing your wall paper. To be honest I am not sure why anyone would want this however with a few changes it would make much more sense.

The ability to change your email settings, for getting emails every 15 minutes to maybe every four hours when you are outside of business hours.

The ability to show certain picture files in one profile versus another, if you all have nosey friends or co workers, you know what I ap talking about, only having access to person pictures after business hours.

The ability to have the Switcharoo settings change within profiles I may want a certain set of pictures to scroll through my wall paper during business hours and a different set after business hours.

The ability to change ringtones, volume settings, and vibrate options beteen different profile settings.

From everything I have seen on line when it comes to requesting applications this is really what people are looking for in a profile app

dock icons and the dock is the four icons along the bottom of the screen along with the launcher button
    whoa..so it doesn't change the launcher pages? Only the ones one the launcher itself?
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    whoa..so it doesn't change the launcher pages? Only the ones one the launcher itself?
    yes it can change launcher pages
    I say this sincerly without trying to be a smartass, so please don't take it as such. But, maybe we should call the four icons along the bottom to include the launcher icon the Quick Launcher, because that is what Palm named it. I read a lot of threads and this is the first time I have heard of it called the dock, whereas many many threads call it the quick launcher.
  12.    #52  
    I say this sincerly without trying to be a smartass, so please don't take it as such. But, maybe we should call the four icons along the bottom to include the launcher icon the Quick Launcher, because that is what Palm named it. I read a lot of threads and this is the first time I have heard of it called the dock, whereas many many threads call it the quick launcher.
    its been put in the list for next release. Thanks
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by huffman01 View Post
    ok, so I have played with this a little bit today and I have a few suggestions for future versions. At this point is all I can see that it does is change the order of icons and dock icons along with changing your wall paper. To be honest I am not sure why anyone would want this however with a few changes it would make much more sense.

The ability to change your email settings, for getting emails every 15 minutes to maybe every four hours when you are outside of business hours.

The ability to show certain picture files in one profile versus another, if you all have nosey friends or co workers, you know what I ap talking about, only having access to person pictures after business hours.

The ability to have the Switcharoo settings change within profiles I may want a certain set of pictures to scroll through my wall paper during business hours and a different set after business hours.

The ability to change ringtones, volume settings, and vibrate options beteen different profile settings.

From everything I have seen on line when it comes to requesting applications this is really what people are looking for in a profile app
    thanks for the ideas! I have added the photo hiding and email frequency changing based on profile to the list for next release. This means I'm looking in to how I want to implement these. Same thing goes for the profile switching by time but this may not make it in to the next beta but, it might. Again thanks for the ideas!

and were still in a really early beta so there is still lots to do.
    So it's nothing like Mode Switcher at all, which is very complicated but can do more low level stuff.

Thanks, yes that clears it up.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

its been put in the list for next release. Thanks
    Yes, he's right, technically it's called the Quick Launch Bar.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

thanks for the ideas! I have added the photo hiding and email frequency changing based on profile to the list for next release. This means I'm looking in to how I want to implement these. Same thing goes for the profile switching by time but this may not make it in to the next beta but, it might. Again thanks for the ideas!

and were still in a really early beta so there is still lots to do.
    Sounds great! A few more thoughts, when you make the email additions maybe also the ability to select which emails to check such as I would like to check my personal email account over the weekend but not my work email accounts. The last suggestion is the ability to rename the tabs or you could title a few more such as day, night, weekend and silent.

I don't want to give any developer who spends time coding for WebOS the impression that I don't appreciate the time and effort that they spend, so it is very hard for me to criticize an application.

That being said I don't completely understand the focus of this application:

It can save multiple launcher page and quick launch icon layouts. OK, but what is the use case? Why am I doing this? Save/Restore is available for backing up my layout, and the patches for modifying number of pages and icons-per-page have made it very easy to organize every app I have in one layout that I am used to. I just can't understand how it would help me to change which icons are where for any reason.

And then the other problem that arises is how to make the app actually useful? Well the easy answer is to add support for other system settings, and then make it so it doesn't require a Luna Reset to change most of them. But then it is just a copy of Mode Switcher, an application that has been in beta development for months because of the complexity required to create all the different options.

I don't want to say you are wasting your time with this application, because I am sure there are people out there who will come up with a reason to use it with its current features, but I don't know how many, and I can't imagine trying to compete with the features of Mode Switcher when MS already has such a large following and is full-featured.

All that being said, if you can at least give me a few good ways to use this application that I am not seeing, I might change my mind, but right now I am just not seeing it. Please don't take offense at this post I am just being honest.
    First, with MS, there is the Pixi factor...it won't work on a Pixi. Not to say it won't at some point in the future (sconix appears to be aware of it and hopes to fix that), but it would be nice to at least have some sort of manual "switches" that allow one to change to a different "profile" for various circumstances. Apparently there is something about the Pixi that does not allow MS to run in the background, so the only alternative at this time would be some way of quickly changing multiple settings at the tap of a button.

Since I'm unable to run MS, I don't know everything it can do...but it sounds to me like Profiles allows one to change the layout and appearance of the UI quickly based on where you are and when. I haven't been able to even FIND Profiles, so I can't even install that app...so I'm basically going off descriptions...but it almost sounds like it could work as an add-on, or complementary application to MS. One could set up "triggers" in MS to activate certain Profiles...then some of the muscle work could be left to this add-on.

Am I completely wrong about these two applications or does this make sense?
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    First, with MS, there is the Pixi factor...it won't work on a Pixi. Not to say it won't at some point in the future (sconix appears to be aware of it and hopes to fix that), but it would be nice to at least have some sort of manual "switches" that allow one to change to a different "profile" for various circumstances. Apparently there is something about the Pixi that does not allow MS to run in the background, so the only alternative at this time would be some way of quickly changing multiple settings at the tap of a button.

Since I'm unable to run MS, I don't know everything it can do...but it sounds to me like Profiles allows one to change the layout and appearance of the UI quickly based on where you are and when. I haven't been able to even FIND Profiles, so I can't even install that app...so I'm basically going off descriptions...but it almost sounds like it could work as an add-on, or complementary application to MS. One could set up "triggers" in MS to activate certain Profiles...then some of the muscle work could be left to this add-on.

Am I completely wrong about these two applications or does this make sense?
    yep, Profiles can be triggered to launch in MS. But tighter integration would be a great idea! Ill definitely look into that.

also, to install profiles: instal newest internalz than tap this url on your device: http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/precentral/com.diov_.profiles-device_0.0.998_all.ipk
  20.    #60  
    Not to say that Profiles and MS are similar/do the same thing. Profiles, if we were to compare to Android; profiles would be like HTC Scenes while MS Would be like locale. There seems to be somewhat of a misconception in the PC post and a bit here.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast