Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,
    I just got a Palm Pre Plus (verizon.) I'm tempted to delve into Preware/Homebrew, etc., mainly for the purpose of having the virtual keyboard, but am a bit frightened of messing up my phone. So I'm curious if it's worth it -- how often do you guys actually use the virtual keyboard? Does it become your primary keyboard?
    i never use it but stil have it lol
    first off the the cool thing about homebrew is our communit is good about making things safe and since the device has a nice open platform it would be hard to mess up your phone unless you tried. wthat said, I consider it unusable because you can backspace on the internet with it and it's a little sluggish when pulling it up imho. However others do like it and it's a nice option when in landscape.
    rarely
    definitely delve into preware, don't be afraid, esp with the support on precentral

(thanks a million times over everyone)

however, I installed the virtual keyboard...took a loooong time to install, but then it seemed cool...but it was waaaay too buggy and in the end not worth the hassle...uninstalled it right away.

the developer is updating it (see the thread) but I think I'll wait for palm to release an official one
    Never!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    tried it for 5 mins once,thought it was so bad I deleted right away.
    i use it if i'm already using my phone for web browsing or whatnot and get a text where i can simply reply with an 'ok' or 'yea' (which happens quite often since i take the train to work and am on my phone for a straight hour at a time).

btw, once you get into homebrew you wont stop and it is safe, as a poster above mentioned the community here is really great
    I used to use it all the time... And it got less and less to the point that I had not used it in over a month so I took it off lol it has a keyboard, it's just easier. Gotta love homebrew for putting it out there though... Although if I did use it I prolly wouldn't be approaching 20k slider open/ closes
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvc_15 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I just got a Palm Pre Plus (verizon.) I'm tempted to delve into Preware/Homebrew, etc., mainly for the purpose of having the virtual keyboard, but am a bit frightened of messing up my phone. So I'm curious if it's worth it -- how often do you guys actually use the virtual keyboard? Does it become your primary keyboard?
    Tons of support. No its not as good as the itouch/phone virtual keyboards. Its not as responsive (unless you overclock) or clean looking (If you really wanted to the images for they key files are on the usb partition so you can replace them). I dislike it in portrait mode but very awesome in landscape mode. For browsing it helps as you dont have to flip/slide the phone so its faster. I use it more now with overclocking it renders very fast and is just as snappy as the itouch one. I recommend govnah and uber kernel install very good allows tweak to save battery when not in use or increase performance when needed. Its very safe theres warnings for the temp although it wont go up anymore than it does with the navigation or mobile hotspot apps. The worst you can do will have to doctor your pre. Its a java app takes about 20-30 minutes wipes your Pre clean and installs the app store apps you had and all contacts and other stuff that gets backed up. Then the next thing you will do is install preware because you will realize how boring the phone is without it.
    I don't use the virtual keyboard a ton but I'm thinking I may need to start using it more. My success rate in using the physical keypad is getting really poor. I find that I drop letters and repeat letters in almost every sentence I type. It's getting quite annoying. I spend more time editing than I do composing. Not good.

I tried out the diagnostic utility in the Device Info menu and every press of the keys was spot on, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. It must have something to do with the way the OS is trying to correct certain conditions that people have complained about with the keyboard in the past. Unfortunately the fix hasn't hit the sweet spot for me.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdunnough View Post
    I don't use the virtual keyboard a ton but I'm thinking I may need to start using it more. My success rate in using the physical keypad is getting really poor. I find that I drop letters and repeat letters in almost every sentence I type. It's getting quite annoying. I spend more time editing than I do composing. Not good.

I tried out the diagnostic utility in the Device Info menu and every press of the keys was spot on, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. It must have something to do with the way the OS is trying to correct certain conditions that people have complained about with the keyboard in the past. Unfortunately the fix hasn't hit the sweet spot for me.
    Maybe you have stubby fingers and hit multiple keys at once? Happens to me sometimes. Be sure to overclock and rotate the phone for the landscape keyboard its much roomier.
    I don't use it a ton, but I do use it when my Pre is in the Naztech charging holster (which is a lot, great holster, hust can't use the physical KB when it is in it) I have been heavily teasting the new alpha version and it works pretty well. Overclocking helps the VKB significantly (I have no lag when typing and rendering only takes about a second and a half. I really like it and as it gets better, I can really see myself using it more, mostly for short texts and emails.
    never
    i use it quite often i get alot of text and sometimes i just dont feel like sliding the keyboard out,
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    its too unresponsive and buggy....its sad as VK's in gameloft apps are really good..
    I have it installed but have never used it once guess i should remove it and about 100 other app i never use lol
    I NEVER use the virtual keyboard. It sucks to me. Just cool to have.
    I use it to show that it has one but never work with it. Find its accuracy touchy
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm M515 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre+ at&t - HP 32G Touchpad - HP Pre3 at&t
    I don't use it because it doesn't have autocorrect - but the dev is working on implementing this as we speak So I'm looking forward to that.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast