Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Going to give it another shot based on the suggestions. I'll report back
    Yup, tried it myself but it's too buggy. It stutters. I didn't care for it so I uninstalled it. Don't bother. Wait for a VK put out by Palm themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by coughdrops View Post
    Yup, tried it myself but it's too buggy. It stutters. I didn't care for it so I uninstalled it. Don't bother. Wait for a VK put out by Palm themselves.
    When did you try it? It was massively updated 4 days ago.
    I have it. Its not super awesome, but honestly, part of the allure of the pre was an honest to goodness keyboard. At least its an option. But definitely go homebrew- its one of the things we have over the others.
    I rarely use it, but when I do it is very useful and nifty. The recent upgrades to it since back in 09 have been great. It loads up very quickly for me,especially with the f105 kernel I am running,its ver responsive, and now is very web friendly and has auto correct. Some noticeable bugs have been reported with the keyboss application, but hopefully those isues will be resolved in future updates. The bugs I encountered were that my SYM key on the physical keyboard didn't function. S as of right now I removed it and it is back to normal. I haven't tried to reinstall it to see if maybe that would help and I could have the feature that made keyboss great,and that is you could press and hold any key on the VKB and it would repeat that key until you let it go, the same with the delete key so no more tapping delete until your thumb fals off when using VKB.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    Some noticeable bugs have been reported with the keyboss application, but hopefully those isues will be resolved in future updates. The bugs I encountered were that my SYM key on the physical keyboard didn't function. S as of right now I removed it and it is back to normal. I haven't tried to reinstall it to see if maybe that would help and I could have the feature that made keyboss great,and that is you could press and hold any key on the VKB and it would repeat that key until you let it go, the same with the delete key so no more tapping delete until your thumb fals off when using VKB.
    KeyBoss is software that has been released ONLY for alpha testing. It is not ready nor is it meant to be ready for mass consumption. Installing alpha software expecting it to be polished and uninstalling while discussing bugs in various other threads rather than to the developer in the dedicated alpha testing thread helps no one. What this does is gives the software a bad name and potentially turns people away from it when it is released. The VKB on the other hand is released for mass usage and expected to work well; I always intend to support any issues with the VKB (without alpha software). However any interaction with KeyBoss or any other alpha software is undefined and liable to change.

Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

That being said, the VKB does not rely on any other software package to repeat keys on hold. The VKB will always be expected to function (within the limits and constraints of WebOS framework) without any additional software.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Not to put alpha testing business out there but those issues have been resolved. From what I'm seeing on a testers side the developers are working around the clock and paying close attention to the feedback. Keyboss was actually updated prior to you making that post about it.
    i rarely use it too
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I use it daily and enjoy it.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    When i have the Seido battery equiped, never, because i have enough room for my fingers to feel comfortable around the bulk. With the regular battery, always, because of landscape mode and more room for my fingers to hold onto the phone.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I use it for all my non-IM typing. e.g., calendar, web links, etc.

Very convenient. Thanks for the wonderful extension!
    I use it regularly for landscape mode texting. Also, I find it comes in handy for one handed texting. I find that my comfort level with the physical keyboard drops when I get tired or have a beer or two. I do better in these instances when using the vk.
    I use it for quick text responses, but use the physical keyboard for longer texts. Also use VKB when I want to text in landscape mode.

I REALLY like it, and the update that came out a few days ago fixed A LOT of stuff. So much so that I might switch to it as my main keyboard. It's very responsive now, and there are a lot less errors (due to fat fingers, finger drag, etc...)

I'd use it all the time for browsing too except for the whole delete-button not working thing.
    I can't wait for the new add-ons to be released that'll fix that! =)
    Quote Originally Posted by VLopez3 View Post
    I REALLY like it, and the update that came out a few days ago fixed A LOT of stuff....except for the whole delete-button not working thing.
    I can't wait for the new add-ons to be released that'll fix that! =)
    ...the new update already did fix that...
    Almost all the time I have the Palm pre plus with Verizon and i've overclocked it to 800mHz and its speedy. There was an update for the virtual keyboard about a week ago that made it much more accurate
    I use mine every day. I use it if i am already browsing in landscape.
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    KeyBoss is software that has been released ONLY for alpha testing. It is not ready nor is it meant to be ready for mass consumption. Installing alpha software expecting it to be polished and uninstalling while discussing bugs in various other threads rather than to the developer in the dedicated alpha testing thread helps no one. What this does is gives the software a bad name and potentially turns people away from it when it is released. The VKB on the other hand is released for mass usage and expected to work well; I always intend to support any issues with the VKB (without alpha software). However any interaction with KeyBoss or any other alpha software is undefined and liable to change.
    Thanks for not putting that in all caps.

Never said anything about expectations or polished goodness. Nor did I discuss various bugs in various other threads about this. Just saying what I was experiencing, and what solved it. I was not knowingly alpha testing keyboss when I installed it anyway. It was a pop up that came up saying I had to install it along with the Userspace Input module as well in order to proceed with updating VKB a couple weeks ago...

And on that note, I like my VKB very much. it's running good thank you.

UPDATE: I reinstalled UInput Module and Keyboss today. I'm really enjoying this added level of control over my Qwerty Keyboard. It's running perfectly along side with my VKB. Thank you egaudet. Nice work on the fixes.
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 07/21/2010 at 05:57 AM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I personally use it all the time. I only use the hardware keyboard when i absolutely have to (internet before keyboss & uinput).
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I honestly never really used it all that much because it was always very laggy for me, but I saw that there was a recent update and figured maybe it got better. I installed the update and now it doesn't work at all. I keep getting a "Could not load configuration file kb_config.json" error. I uninstalled the package and re-installed and am still getting the error.
    I am far too fond of the amazing hardwarekeyboard - I've got it installed for at least 5 months now and I love the fact that I have it if I ever need it, but I used it about 3 times in total so far
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast