Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Hmmm, do you have your wife (or anyone for that matter) in either of the whitelists? (manual or contact-based whitelists)
    what do you mean by whitelist? I haven't changed any settings or their numbers, I've notice since the update they can't pull the info though.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrolf View Post
    what do you mean by whitelist? I haven't changed any settings or their numbers, I've notice since the update they can't pull the info though.
    The whitelist is the section where you specify people or numbers that are allowed to request your location. (the section is labeled, "Who can request my location") With version 1.2, there are now 2 whitelists: a manual one and one where you pick a contact from the Palm address book. If you leave both whitelists completely empty, then anyone can request your location. However, if you have either of them populated, then Homing Device will only allow requests from those specified in the whitelist(s).

Try deleting all your entries from the whitelist and then putting them back again - maybe something didn't get transferred properly during the upgrade to 1.2. Let me know if that works.
    Making this a fully background app is my next order of business. I wanted to get a few additional features done first (mainly the IM support) before tackling the background thing. (also, I've been secretly hoping that webos 2.0 might add some additional API's that would make this possible WITHOUT resorting to a patch, but that's probably wishful thinking)

I've only just started the research-phase, so I really can't give you any ETA at all. Also, there's no guarantee it can be done. My assumption is that patching this into the Messaging app will do the trick, but I can't say 100% at this point since I haven't attempted it. (yet) I'll keep everyone posted with my progress however.
    Have you checked out GPSFix. The dev was able to get the app to run in the background (Once manually started) without a dashboard or card or patch and get it accepted into the app catalog. FYI
    hi, i just downloaded the app and facing the problem that no answers were sent to the mobilephone which called the request.

some infos:
    - app is up and running, icon is in the dashboard
    - gps is on
    - when the sms with the trigger-word comes in, i see the sms notification in the dashboard and right after that a notification "location sent" is shown. but the location-sms never arrives
    - neither adding just the phone number to the whitelist nor adding the complete contact makes any differerence
    - the phonenumber entry is like +43664.... (+43 is for austria)
    - app version is 1.2.0
    - Phone is Palm Pre with WebOS 1.4.5

if you think that any of my installed apps or patches is responsible for this i can give you a list, but this would be very, very long.

thanks for your help!
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ggarvey View Post
    Have you checked out GPSFix. The dev was able to get the app to run in the background (Once manually started) without a dashboard or card or patch and get it accepted into the app catalog. FYI
    Yeah, he's using the "Alarm" feature to accomplish this. I've mentioned this in previous posts, but that really won't work for Homing Device. When you're using the Alarms, your app really isn't running in the background (not continuously anyway) - it's getting woken up every 20 minutes (or whatever) and then is given a short window to do some work, after which it gets closed again. Homing Device needs to stay running in order to work properly.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    hi, i just downloaded the app and facing the problem that no answers were sent to the mobilephone which called the request.

some infos:
    - gps is on
    - when the sms with the trigger-word comes in, i see the sms notification in the dashboard and right after that a notification "location sent" is shown. but the location-sms never arrives
    - neither adding just the phone number to the whitelist nor adding the complete contact makes any differerence
    - app version is 1.2.0

if you think that any of my installed apps or patches is responsible for this i can give you a list, but this would be very, very long.

thanks for your help!
    Thanks for the details stoerm. If you're seeing the "location sent" banner on the bottom, then it shouldn't be a problem with the whitelist. Are you seeing the "sent" message in the conversation thread in the Messaging app? (in other words, does it "look" like it got sent?) Also, were you using a previous version of Homing Device that worked, or is version 1.2 your first try with it?

Since I'm based in the US I have only been able to really test this on US carriers, so I'm hoping this isn't some international quirk.
    Are you seeing the "sent" message in the conversation thread in the Messaging app? (in other words, does it "look" like it got sent?) Also, were you using a previous version of Homing Device that worked, or is version 1.2 your first try with it?
    No, in the conversation thread in my messaging app i just see the incoming messages containing the trigger-word

Also, were you using a previous version of Homing Device that worked, or is version 1.2 your first try with it?
    No, haven't tried older versions, the actual version is my first try.

Is there any log-file or something like that were i can see debug messages of this application?
    Yeah, he's using the "Alarm" feature to accomplish this. I've mentioned this in previous posts, but that really won't work for Homing Device. When you're using the Alarms, your app really isn't running in the background (not continuously anyway) - it's getting woken up every 20 minutes (or whatever) and then is given a short window to do some work, after which it gets closed again. Homing Device needs to stay running in order to work properly.
    I wonder if javascript services will hold the answer to our mutual problem here...

To echo what he said.. if the program is not running at the instant a message comes in, it will never be notified.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Is there any log-file or something like that were i can see debug messages of this application?
    I'm not sure how comfortable you are with accessing the Linux core of your Pre, but all logging is stored in /var/log/messages on the Linux filesystem. If you have done this or are willing to give it a shot, you could run the following command which will show you any messages that get logged in real-time for Homing Device:
    Code:
    $tail -f /var/log/messages | grep homingdevice
    If you haven't done this before, it's really not as scary as it sounds. You need to enable "dev mode" on your Pre (some searching here will explain how), and then connect your Pre via USB cable to your computer. Feel free to contact me outside of this thread (via PM) if you want some help with this.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I wonder if javascript services will hold the answer to our mutual problem here...

To echo what he said.. if the program is not running at the instant a message comes in, it will never be notified.
    Hey Matt, yeah it's possible that moving those services into Javascript might make this problem solvable. That change is coming as part of webos 2.0 right? (at least as far as anyone knows right now...)
    I like the app and i wish i had it when my gf lost her phone few days back. So what i was wondering. Would it be possible to make the app open every hour or something and send it's location to a email address. or every 2 hours. or less.

This way if someone stole the phone you could check it's location every hour and track it down or something like that.

or if anyone has an app that does that could point me towards it
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I like the app and i wish i had it when my gf lost her phone few days back. So what i was wondering. Would it be possible to make the app open every hour or something and send it's location to a email address. or every 2 hours. or less.

This way if someone stole the phone you could check it's location every hour and track it down or something like that.

or if anyone has an app that does that could point me towards it
    Hey Greg, I'm pretty sure there is at least 1 other location app that will do what you're asking. (can't think of it at the moment..) That type of location-tracking is a direction I'm not interested (yet) in pursuing with HomingDevice. As it evolves, however, I may change my mind.

That said, for the example you gave why wouldn't HomingDevice work?
    Hey Greg, I'm pretty sure there is at least 1 other location app that will do what you're asking. (can't think of it at the moment..) That type of location-tracking is a direction I'm not interested (yet) in pursuing with HomingDevice. As it evolves, however, I may change my mind.

That said, for the example you gave why wouldn't HomingDevice work?
    Your thinking of Cell Stalker, which was a great app in the beginning but had some issues as I understand before my wife and I deleted it. The difference from Homing Device and Cell Stalker though is CS doesn't alert the owner of the phone with a sound,when it's on it logs and you can use a computer to track where someone is realtime through pings.

I would love to see homing device do something similar while still being able to track someone from my phone. My wife loves the app because as I drive an 18 wheeler all over she can see where I'm at without bugging me all the time. Still waiting for it in patch form btw!
    hi,

thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply, first on holidays and then - as always - pretty busy afterwards

I'm not sure how comfortable you are with accessing the Linux core of your Pre, but all logging is stored in /var/log/messages on the Linux filesystem.
    i just connected to my pre and was watching the log-output and i tried to send the request-message when... guess... it works :-) i don't know why it works now or why it has not worked weeks before. anyway, thanks for your help and this great app!!
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    hi,

thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply, first on holidays and then - as always - pretty busy afterwards

i just connected to my pre and was watching the log-output and i tried to send the request-message when... guess... it works :-) i don't know why it works now or why it has not worked weeks before. anyway, thanks for your help and this great app!!
    Great, glad it works now!
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Just a quick heads-up to everyone, I've been looking at the new webOS 2.0 SDK (beta) and Palm has made some changes to internal services that will completely break Homing Device. For that reason I've been focusing what little time I have to working on adapting Homing Device so that it will work on 2.0 once it gets released. (in other words, don't expect any new stuff for the current webOS version)

Specifically I'm working on patching Homing Device for 2.0 rather than distributing it as a standalone app. The upshot of this is (assuming I can get it all to work) it will be a "true" headless background app. (no dashboard icon) I've still got a long way to go, but just wanted to let everyone know what's going on. Thanks!!
    how difficult would it be to leave homing device as a card rather than creating a dashboard icon. I'd rather have a card up that I'm not using than have the dashboard icon stealing space.
    I have been trying to download this app but the site won't let me download. I keep getting the please login or register message over and over again. Every time I go to download I am logged in.
    Why would you want to let your wife know where you are automatically, sounds like a disaster app

some infos:
    - gps is on
    - app version is 1.2.0

thanks for your help!
    Just to add another tip to this thread that may help somebody...

I recently installed this great app and found I was having the same issue with being given the "location sent" notification, but never receiving a reply on the requesting side. I reviewed the logs as suggested and noticed an error that a GPS fix was not obtained by the app.

As a workaround, I got it to work by going into the "Location Services" settings on my phone and toggling Auto Locate to ON. Otherwise, the Homing Device app does not appear to prompt for permission to use GPS data when first started if I have Auto Locate set to OFF, and fails quietly instead.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast