Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I'm not sure if I quite understand what you are asking, but maybe I can try to clear it up for you, anyway.

I just tried this and you can add multiple people that are allowed to receive your location.

So, for instance you could use all email address, all phone numbers, or a combo.

For instance, when my son is visiting his relatives in PA, he doesn't always get good reception, so he may want to use it via email, so in that case, I put his email as one recipient and his phone number as another.

That way, if he wanted to use it, he could do it from either one.

Since they are listed separately, it also avoids the same person getting multiple map links sent to them, since it just goes to whichever they sent from.

If you had a contact and listed multiple means of contact for them, then it is possible that the app would just send to ALL of them, so they would get the same thing to their email and their phone. This actually helps avoid that issue.
    Actually the app works in two distinct ways... either it replies to the source sending the request (no matter how many different forms of contact you put in for the same person) or all requests are sent to the same default location no matter the source of the request....

For example.

When set to a specific reply address, say : joe@email.com

Whitelist contains: joe@email.com, 766577388, and bob@email.com

when joe sends the passphrase, he receives the reply... but also, if bob sends the passphrase, it will go to joe as well... because the reply to setting is being used.

Versus the other option to reply to sender:

in which case you dont have a reply address specified, so it returns its reply to the source of the request. Either those numbers and email addresses you have added to your whitelist, or anyone at all if you havent created a white list.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Actually the app works in two distinct ways... either it replies to the source sending the request (no matter how many different forms of contact you put in for the same person) or all requests are sent to the same default location no matter the source of the request....

For example.

When set to a specific reply address, say : joe@email.com

Whitelist contains: joe@email.com, 766577388, and bob@email.com

when joe sends the passphrase, he receives the reply... but also, if bob sends the passphrase, it will go to joe as well... because the reply to setting is being used.

Versus the other option to reply to sender:

in which case you dont have a reply address specified, so it returns its reply to the source of the request. Either those numbers and email addresses you have added to your whitelist, or anyone at all if you havent created a white list.
    So I have one person set up as follows: Ashley texts me the keyword > link to location is emailed to her.

If I add Joe to my list of people who can request my location and he texts me, the email would go to Ashley.

That's the issue/question I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjx5 View Post
    So I have one person set up as follows: Ashley texts me the keyword > link to location is emailed to her.

If I add Joe to my list of people who can request my location and he texts me, the email would go to Ashley.

That's the issue/question I have.
    I just answered that question... you have two options, both of them explained very clearly.

Either you have a single reply to address for all requests no matter their source... or you send the reply to the source of the request.

Im not sure I could explain it any more clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    I just answered that question... you have two options, both of them explained very clearly.

Either you have a single reply to address for all requests no matter their source... or you send the reply to the source of the request.

Im not sure I could explain it any more clearly.
    Got it. I thought I understood your original post, but wasn't sure what a "white list" was. I just wanted to be absolutely clear that there's no way to set it up how I'd like to. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjx5 View Post
    Got it. I thought I understood your original post, but wasn't sure what a "white list" was. I just wanted to be absolutely clear that there's no way to set it up how I'd like to. Thank you.
    No problem. The only real way to set what you want up would be for Minsc to have a white list that also allows you to dictate the reply to address for each.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    @johnjx5
    Stepping in late here, but bluewanders is correct. The whitelist only dictates who can request your location, NOT where the response gets sent. It sounds like what you're looking for is a combination of the 2. So if "john" requests my location, I want to the response sent to his mobile via SMS. If "jane" requests my location, I want the response sent to her email address, etc etc.

Right now I'm working on improving the whitelist functionality, though I wasn't planning on taking it quite to this level of configurability. I like the idea though and I'll give it some consideration. One of my goals is to keep the app as simple as possible, though I can certainly appreciate why this kind of thing might be useful. Probably not going to happen on the next release, but after that maybe.
    I think this app is the bomb.... can't wait for the patch to run in the background also access to the cam and mic wow that would be great to, You should think about writing a patch for spyware purpose to that lets people receive copies of all sms messages sent / received mic cam even listen in on a calll alot of companies out there making money with such software for iphone nokia blackbery but none yet for palm pre /pixi.... you could make a bank roll or atleast I hope you do, If your not interested could you teach me how.... thx abunch for the app it is GGGGRRRREEEEAAATTTTTT!!!!!
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Hi Minsc, I have a GSM Pre Plus on SFR in France. I thought you'd like feedback from other testers/users over here; formatting of phone numbers on GSM phones is a mess, and affects how to correctly configure your app.

Setting up "Who can request my location?" (Whitelist)
    - the "Add..." field doesn't seem to accept "+" as the first character. I confirm that no spaces or dashes should be entered. The easiest way I've found is to paste in a complete number.
    - example: from a French phone to French Pre, both located in France, a format such as +33699999999 is required. (as stated above - look at the messaging app for the incoming phone's number)

Response to above poll: I only use "Return to Sender". Simple is good, especially if it gives you time to implement the basic function more fully.

Requests (in the direction simplicity, I hope!):
    - Yes, I'd like it truly headless too. I love the notification system, but get rid of them when I can.
    - Being homebrew with unofficial functions, etc, you're attracting a lot of Preware users who regularly do Luna restarts. Can Mamouton or someone write a patch to boot up this app/service even after a restart?

Just for fun: What do users use as they password? Mine is "wru".
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Hi Minsc, I have a GSM Pre Plus on SFR in France. I thought you'd like feedback from other testers/users over here; formatting of phone numbers on GSM phones is a mess, and affects how to correctly configure your app.

Setting up "Who can request my location?" (Whitelist)
    - the "Add..." field doesn't seem to accept "+" as the first character. I confirm that no spaces or dashes should be entered. The easiest way I've found is to paste in a complete number.
    - example: from a French phone to French Pre, both located in France, a format such as +33699999999 is required. (as stated above - look at the messaging app for the incoming phone's number)
    Excellent, thank you for the feedback! I've been hoping to get some feedback from an international user since I wasn't sure how well (if at all) this app would work outside the US. I will definitely remove the "+" restriction on the next release. If you find anything else that's a problem let me know.
    #1 Allowing the program run as a patch or hidden in the background.
    #2 Adding a way for the program to start automatically with a pre reboot. I set my phoen to reboot every night, and would wnat this program to load automatically.
    your app just creeps me out dude, no way i want someone to just find out where am i with out me noticing and giving the OK to send location, your app shouldn't just auto send it should give a notification and ask if you would like to send at least.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    your app just creeps me out dude, no way i want someone to just find out where am i with out me noticing and giving the OK to send location, your app shouldn't just auto send it should give a notification and ask if you would like to send at least.
    Thanks for the feedback Greg, but that's really the whole point. When I created this app I wanted a way for my someone to find out where I am without any intervention. Personally, I would be really annoyed if I had to manually "approve" the request every time - I would rather approve them once during setup (using the whitelist feature). Plus, there's a decent chance I would occasionally miss the request (away from the phone, loud environment, etc) which would annoy the requester since they might not receive the response until much later.

I'm pretty sure there are other GPS apps for Webos ("Find Me" or something like that??) in which you manually send your location - you might want to check those out.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Ok, so at long last I've finally found some time to add a couple of new features to Homing Device and get an update released. Here are the details:

Major changes:

IM support
    * People can now request your location using Instant Messaging in addition to SMS. All the IM account types that are allowed in Palm's Synergy are supported. (GTalk, AIM, Yahoo, ICQ)

Whitelist utilizes Address book
    * You can now pick contacts for your whitelist (those who can request your location) using Palm's address book in addition to the manual whitelist that has always been available.
    * When you add a contact to your whitelist, all of their communication types are allowed. For example, if you add your wife then she is "whitelisted" for any of her IM accounts as well as SMS using any of her phone numbers and/or email addresses. In other words, you are whitelisting the person rather than the communication type.

"Reply To" option removed
    * I removed this feature because as I add new options (such as IM) this becomes a burden to maintain. Additionally, I honestly can't think of any reasonable use-case for why you would want to send your location reply to somewhere/someone other than the person that requested it. Based on a quick straw poll I took a few weeks ago, it sounded like virtually no one was using it anyway. That being said, if you DID use this feature and are really missing it, please contact me. Maybe it could be re-thought a bit and/or utilized differently given new and future features. But for now, all location requests are automatically "reply to sender".

Minor changes:

* "+" symbol now works in manual whitelist for international numbers.

As always, let me know if you find any bugs or have questions or suggestions.
    A quick heads-up: For some reason Google is formatting the location URL when someone using GTalk requests your location. It still works, but the response contains 2 urls: the first which is just the latitude/longtitude, and a 2nd url which doesn't work. (so use the first one!) I'm working on a way around this, but again this formatting is being done by Google and not by Homing Device. The response url is correct for all other types. (SMS, Yahoo, AIM, etc)
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I like the idea of having the trigger word be case-sensitive for the very reason you created it that way. If you are thinking about making it not case-sensitive, may I suggest having an option in the preferences that would allow for one to choose whether or not that want it to be case-sensitive?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timh83 View Post
    I like the idea of having the trigger word be case-sensitive for the very reason you created it that way. If you are thinking about making it not case-sensitive, may I suggest having an option in the preferences that would allow for one to choose whether or not that want it to be case-sensitive?
    I can add this back at some point and make it optional. I probably should have done that rather than just change it to non-case sensitive.
    Since a lot of people are requesting it, do you think you'll make it a "headless app"? That is the ONLY reason I don't use this app. But other than that I love it! Please try and see if you could get that done... and if you are working on it, eta?
    Thanks
    What would cause the app to stop sending locations? it seems like since I updated my wife will txt the word I have set up, but no location is sent back. I have tried txting myself and the same issue.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrolf View Post
    What would cause the app to stop sending locations? it seems like since I updated my wife will txt the word I have set up, but no location is sent back. I have tried txting myself and the same issue.
    Hmmm, do you have your wife (or anyone for that matter) in either of the whitelists? (manual or contact-based whitelists)
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plosquad3600 View Post
    Since a lot of people are requesting it, do you think you'll make it a "headless app"? That is the ONLY reason I don't use this app. But other than that I love it! Please try and see if you could get that done... and if you are working on it, eta?
    Thanks
    Making this a fully background app is my next order of business. I wanted to get a few additional features done first (mainly the IM support) before tackling the background thing. (also, I've been secretly hoping that webos 2.0 might add some additional API's that would make this possible WITHOUT resorting to a patch, but that's probably wishful thinking)

I've only just started the research-phase, so I really can't give you any ETA at all. Also, there's no guarantee it can be done. My assumption is that patching this into the Messaging app will do the trick, but I can't say 100% at this point since I haven't attempted it. (yet) I'll keep everyone posted with my progress however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Making this a fully background app is my next order of business. I wanted to get a few additional features done first (mainly the IM support) before tackling the background thing. (also, I've been secretly hoping that webos 2.0 might add some additional API's that would make this possible WITHOUT resorting to a patch, but that's probably wishful thinking)

I've only just started the research-phase, so I really can't give you any ETA at all. Also, there's no guarantee it can be done. My assumption is that patching this into the Messaging app will do the trick, but I can't say 100% at this point since I haven't attempted it. (yet) I'll keep everyone posted with my progress however.
    Thanks for the reply I (and others i'm sure) appreciate your work!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast