Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I just installed it and so far working as you said it would.

I'm indoors in my office so I guess that explains why the locations aren't exactly accurate - I'm looking at this more for in case my phone is lost/stolen - which means there needs to be a patch to hide it so that someone who "finds" the phone doesn't accidentally toss the card. Then again, my phone is always locked so I guess that's not too much of an issue - they wouldn't be able to unlock to turn it off haha.

When I get home, I'll see how accurate it is when I'm standing outside

I didn't check the "Reply To Sender" and instead put in my email address,but the sender (who I added in whitelist) did get an autoresponse to the google maps link.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixiPlusAtt View Post
    Well, i did what you said and closed the card after the settings, and yes the icon was up in the bottom right corner. But when i send the message with the "trigger" word only nothing happens. I know its case sensitive from reading but that didnt help. I even tried sending the "trigger" word from the other phone to mine, no go.
    Are you sure you have GPS on?
    Yes, I have gps on. Do you know of any patches that may interrupt the application?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Well, i did what you said and closed the card after the settings, and yes the icon was up in the bottom right corner. But when i send the message with the "trigger" word only nothing happens. I know its case sensitive from reading but that didnt help. I even tried sending the "trigger" word from the other phone to mine, no go.
    This app is only for people sending the trigger word to you, not the other way around. (they are requesting your location via text message) And as long as you have version 1.1, the trigger word is no longer case sensitive.

When someone send you a text message with the trigger word in it, you should see a brief message display on the dashboard which says, "Location requested!". Are you seeing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    This app is only for people sending the trigger word to you, not the other way around. (they are requesting your location via text message) And as long as you have version 1.1, the trigger word is no longer case sensitive.

When someone send you a text message with the trigger word in it, you should see a brief message display on the dashboard which says, "Location requested!". Are you seeing this?
    No, i am not seeing this message "Location requested!" message.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    No, i am not seeing this message "Location requested!" message.
    Are you getting the "homing device tracking enabled" dashboard message when you launch the app?
    I found I had to add the international prefix to some of the phone numbers of the "Who can request my location" list (+49 for Germany).
    So instead of 012345678901 it reads +4912345678901. Entering the numbers the way they appear in the text message chat list has always worked.
    Cool, I like that idea.
    Regarding adding the functionality of another notification if the trigger word comes from someone whitelisted or not. Please, please please... make it an option with a toggle. I know exactly who should have the keyword and who shouldn't... and I can also easily look in the text log and see if Homing Device replied to that person with a map link.

Having an extended notification letting me know every time my ex tries to request my location, or the 50 people she gave the keyword out to... etc... is not desirable. (not a real situation, just providing a possible scenario)

I realize one can simply change the keyword... but after its been used for a while it becomes a habitual thing... and one of the uses for this app is when I'm geocaching or hiking or anything else, if theres an emergency my panicking wife or children will be able to retrieve my coordinates easily with as little thought as possible to give to rescuers.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uwer View Post
    I found I had to add the international prefix to some of the phone numbers of the "Who can request my location" list (+49 for Germany).
    So instead of 012345678901 it reads +4912345678901. Entering the numbers the way they appear in the text message chat list has always worked.
    Hmm, that's weird. So the sender's number must be including the country code too. I'm not sure I can do much about that since that comes from the carrier, hopefully this isn't a big inconvenience?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Regarding adding the functionality of another notification if the trigger word comes from someone whitelisted or not. Please, please please... make it an option with a toggle. I know exactly who should have the keyword and who shouldn't... and I can also easily look in the text log and see if Homing Device replied to that person with a map link.
    Yep, no worries - if I do add it it will definitely be an option, not mandatory.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Hey all, summer has been just crazy so far and left me little time to work on HD. However, I am making progress on the IM functionality and hope to have that out in the near future. That said, I've got a question for the group:

Are any of you NOT using the "reply to sender" checkbox? I'm not even sure why I added this feature because I personally never use it. I would think that most people would want to send back their location to the person that requested it, rather than someone else.

The reason I ask is because adding IM now makes this option a bit more complex, since you could theoretically have "person A" request your location via IM, but you could respond to "person B" using SMS. So in other words, we'd probably need to have a new setting which would specify HOW you want the location sent in addition to WHERE.

Is this important to people? We could drop this option entirely and make it so that HD will always reply to sender using whatever service was used on the request. (so if someone requests your location using SMS, it will reply to the sender using SMS. If they request your location using Yahoo IM, it will reply to that person using Yahoo IM, etc) Additionally, if I ever get around to adding "true" email support for requests/responses, then that adds a 3rd type into the mix.

I have no problem keeping the request destination configurable if people want it, but if no one's using it then there's no point in taking the time to develop/maintain it. Thoughts?
    I vote for the simplest solution and one that will make supporting it on your end easier.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I also vote to keep it simple. I always use reply to sender, personally cannot think of a reason I would want the reply to go to anyone else.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Are any of you NOT using the "reply to sender" checkbox? I'm not even sure why I added this feature because I personally never use it. I would think that most people would want to send back their location to the person that requested it, rather than someone else.
    I personally use the reply to sender... but I can see where it might be useful for people to have it the other way too. I would keep it like it is... wouldnt be hard to. I suppose one way it could be used is if I sent a text to myself, and had it send the map to someones email who isnt very tech savvy (again thinking emergency.)
    Now that James Harris' new GPS Fix has revived my Pre Plus' GPS, this is going back onto my phone. By the way, I second those who wish not to have the notification icon at the bottom. Thanks! {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter

I have no problem keeping the request destination configurable if people want it, but if no one's using it then there's no point in taking the time to develop/maintain it. Thoughts?
    I actually like the option because one of my friends doesn't have a smart phone. So they can't click on any hyperlink. I have it set now so that she texts me with the password, the link arrives in her email inbox so she can click on it.

Great app btw!
    Also, when I choose to have the map link sent to an email address, I can only add one address I think. So if I set up "Joe" to get a map link sent to Joe@email.com, he's the only one I can set up like that, right? I'd like to have Joe's links sent to his email, and "Ashley's" to go to her email address.

Sorry if that's confusing...
    Just tried this and I love it. Super accurate with the GPS, too, even though I am inside in my bedroom.

I have no intention of leaving it running all the time, there is no one that will be checking on my location on a regular basis, thankfully.

However, if I am out and about for the day, or traveling, I can see it as an excellent way to track my phone, if it's lost or stolen.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjx5 View Post
    Also, when I choose to have the map link sent to an email address, I can only add one address I think. So if I set up "Joe" to get a map link sent to Joe@email.com, he's the only one I can set up like that, right? I'd like to have Joe's links sent to his email, and "Ashley's" to go to her email address.

Sorry if that's confusing...
    I'm not sure if I quite understand what you are asking, but maybe I can try to clear it up for you, anyway.

I just tried this and you can add multiple people that are allowed to receive your location.

So, for instance you could use all email address, all phone numbers, or a combo.

For instance, when my son is visiting his relatives in PA, he doesn't always get good reception, so he may want to use it via email, so in that case, I put his email as one recipient and his phone number as another.

That way, if he wanted to use it, he could do it from either one.

Since they are listed separately, it also avoids the same person getting multiple map links sent to them, since it just goes to whichever they sent from.

If you had a contact and listed multiple means of contact for them, then it is possible that the app would just send to ALL of them, so they would get the same thing to their email and their phone. This actually helps avoid that issue.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I'm not sure if I quite understand what you are asking, but maybe I can try to clear it up for you, anyway.

I just tried this and you can add multiple people that are allowed to receive your location.

So, for instance you could use all email address, all phone numbers, or a combo.

For instance, when my son is visiting his relatives in PA, he doesn't always get good reception, so he may want to use it via email, so in that case, I put his email as one recipient and his phone number as another.

That way, if he wanted to use it, he could do it from either one.

Since they are listed separately, it also avoids the same person getting multiple map links sent to them, since it just goes to whichever they sent from.

If you had a contact and listed multiple means of contact for them, then it is possible that the app would just send to ALL of them, so they would get the same thing to their email and their phone. This actually helps avoid that issue.
    So someone could email the keyword from an email address and it would return them my location?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast