webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Homing Device
Homing Device
Like Tree1Likes

Old 06/23/2010, 02:06 PM   #41 (permalink)

Yup - email looks like it will work!

I can see what you are saying about the timeout, and I'm sure thats what weather icon is doing. I was just hoping to conserve some battery. You could set the time to check for whatever you want - 1min, 5min, 15min, etc. Which could keep it near real time, or just close enough to conserve battery

I am going to DL it!
thrillhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2010, 02:28 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse View Post
Yup - email looks like it will work!

I can see what you are saying about the timeout, and I'm sure thats what weather icon is doing. I was just hoping to conserve some battery. You could set the time to check for whatever you want - 1min, 5min, 15min, etc. Which could keep it near real time, or just close enough to conserve battery

I am going to DL it!
Cool, sounds good. Regarding battery life, having Homing Device running is unlikely to impact battery life much at all. Until a message comes in, it's really not doing anything at all. (other than consuming a small amount of ram) So I wouldn't be too concerned about it. In my (admittedly un-scientific) own tests, my idle battery drop is no different than without running HD.
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2010, 03:29 PM   #43 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
Question: would having the ability to trigger the app using instant messaging (Yahoo, AIM, Google Chat, etc) be a worthwhile addition instead of email? I haven't looked into this too deeply, but because IM is handled within the Messaging app, it would likely be a lot less work.
That would be great.
ukabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2010, 03:30 PM   #44 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Another nice addition would be to have an optional confirmation popup when a requester is not whitelisted.
ukabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2010, 10:52 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Question: would having the ability to trigger the app using instant messaging (Yahoo, AIM, Google Chat, etc) be a worthwhile addition instead of email? I haven't looked into this too deeply, but because IM is handled within the Messaging app, it would likely be a lot less work.
IM support would be awesome! Eliminates a training issue I have with the wife
bbroecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2010, 11:05 PM   #46 (permalink)

With the im support does the user have to be logged in to the im apps? If someone is in yahoo and sends the contact name the trigger word will the text/email be sent out regardless?

Browser Mega Mix|Email Mega Mix|Additional Sync Days|
Disable Various Phone Sounds|Priority Discard Buttons|
mamouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2010, 09:09 AM   #47 (permalink)

IM support would be the best. Thanks!
SurfingJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2010, 11:17 AM   #48 (permalink)

cool
22350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2010, 11:41 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
Another nice addition would be to have an optional confirmation popup when a requester is not whitelisted.
Cool, I like that idea.
Old 06/28/2010, 04:50 PM   #50 (permalink)

Hey, I think this app is a brilliant idea, keep up the good work!
Personally I would prefer that the app responds to sms and any kind of email, so that I can activated it from anywhere with anything. Personally, I'm never logged into IM, so that wouldn't help me.
I would like to use this app in situations when I loose my phone or if somebody steals it, so that I can locate that person/my phone. For this purpose it would be best, if the programm started automaticly on boot up (just like brightnessunlinked can), so that even if the thief turns off the phone to replace the simcard with his, that I could locate him once he turns the phone back on. Another usefull feature would be, that HD compares the sim cards and if it notices a swap, then it automaticly sends an sms/email with the location and the phonenumber of the current sim card to a specific adress/number.
Now, I know that all of this isn't possible at the moment, but maybe later some time.

Last edited by klucon2; 06/29/2010 at 03:24 AM.
klucon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 06:12 PM   #51 (permalink)

Very sweet app!
aramova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2010, 11:37 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucon2 View Post
Hey, I think this app is a brilliant idea, keep up the good work!
Personally I would prefer that the app responds to sms and any kind of email, so that I can activated it from anywhere with anything. Personally, I'm never logged into IM, so that wouldn't help me.
I would like to use this app in situations when I loose my phone or if somebody steals it, so that I can locate that person/my phone. For this purpose it would be best, if the programm started automaticly on boot up (just like brightnessunlinked can), so that even if the thief turns off the phone to replace the simcard with his, that I could locate him once he turns the phone back on. Another usefull feature would be, that HD compares the sim cards and if it notices a swap, then it automaticly sends an sms/email with the location and the phonenumber of the current sim card to a specific adress/number.
Now, I know that all of this isn't possible at the moment, but maybe later some time.
Thanks for the suggestions, my plate is full at the moment but I'll keep them in mind for the future.
Old 06/30/2010, 08:07 PM   #53 (permalink)

love the app! took me a few tries to figure out I had to remove the dashes from any phone numbers for the auto-reply to work, but after that, beautiful!!
Bumblerazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2010, 03:24 AM   #54 (permalink)

i have a pixi plus and my carrier is att, i downloaded it and made sure that the trigger word and the word i sent were the exact same, but it didnt work. if anybody has any tips it would be greatly appreciated ^.^ thanks
PalmPixiPlusAtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2010, 06:20 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Having "true" email support - the ability to trigger the app with an incoming email and response via email - is going to take some work. It's on my list, but it may take a while.

First off, I absolutely love this app... and like everyone else wish it could totally in the background without a dashboard but I know you cant do that right now.

As far as IM access... I can see it being useful in a limited capacity. Usually I only have IM turned on when I need to IM someone though.

Also... another suggestion. Any way you could simply add contacts versus numbers and emails? My wife for instance... if I could simply select her from a list versus having to add all of her phone, email addresses by hand. Just a thought.
bluewanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2010, 11:58 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixiPlusAtt View Post
i have a pixi plus and my carrier is att, i downloaded it and made sure that the trigger word and the word i sent were the exact same, but it didnt work. if anybody has any tips it would be greatly appreciated ^.^ thanks
After you did the initial setup in the settings section (adding trigger word, etc) did you close that card? Doing so will "enable" HD and display the radar icon in the dashboard. If you did all that and it's still not working let me know.
Old 07/07/2010, 12:47 AM   #57 (permalink)

It still isn't working, does it have too be a palm phone or is it non-specific? Thanks
Old 07/07/2010, 12:49 AM   #58 (permalink)

when you say it doesn't work please specify what isn't working so that we can help better diagnose the problem.

Browser Mega Mix|Email Mega Mix|Additional Sync Days|
Disable Various Phone Sounds|Priority Discard Buttons|
mamouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2010, 11:25 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixiPlusAtt View Post
It still isn't working, does it have too be a palm phone or is it non-specific? Thanks
The person sending you the text message can use any phone. Could you respond to my previous question? I want to verify that the app is actually running. Thanks,
Old 07/07/2010, 04:43 PM   #60 (permalink)

Well, i did what you said and closed the card after the settings, and yes the icon was up in the bottom right corner. But when i send the message with the "trigger" word only nothing happens. I know its case sensitive from reading but that didnt help. I even tried sending the "trigger" word from the other phone to mine, no go.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0