Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Great app!

I have a suggestion that I don't know if it's been brought up. Would it be possible to use the same app to find your phone? For example, if I can 't find my phone, I would just text it a certain word so it would start ringing, or playing a song, etc., so I could find it.

This would be extremely helpful for those of us who tend to lose things, and don't have another phone.

Again, thanks for the great app!
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    I think the thought process there would be if you can text your phone, you can probably also call your phone right? LOL

Actually I had the same thought as a use for this app. As long as the phone is not dead, I could potentially send the secret word to my Pre and it would reply with which bar I left it at the night before, HA!

Would probably also use the app to send people directions to my house since I'm in one of those 'winding street' subdivisions that are impossible to navigate by directions. Just don't have most of my friends with GPS yet, so I second the idea of being able to forward via email or something that can be easily pasted into a map server on a desktop or laptop. Great start!

I do also have to agree that I would not be able to use this until I don't have to lose those pixels to a dashboard symbol...there's too few already!
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Very cool app. This is only good with Palm to palm phones running the app right?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    @b4n4n4
    Yep, great idea. I have a short list of additional features I'd like to add somewhere down the road (microphone and camera access would be interesting too, but no API's for that yet) and I'll put this on it.

@bigfire
    Yeah, I'm sensitive to the pixel loss as well but unfortunately this is the way it is for the moment, unless and until I can re-write this as a patch rather than a standalone app. Although if Palm were to come out with a new device that has a 4.3" screen then maybe the loss of a few pixels won't matter as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfire View Post
    I think the thought process there would be if you can text your phone, you can probably also call your phone right? LOL
    Some households do not use landlines any more, so the idea I think is to text your phone from your pc via email or some other service like Sprint's web page etc...and then find your phone ringing in the sofa/fridge/garage etc...
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
    Very cool app. This is only good with Palm to palm phones running the app right?
    Nope, any phone with the ability to send a text message and open a google maps link can use this. (to REQUEST the location I should say) This would include pretty much any modern smartphone, and probably some feature-phones too.

Also, I'm adding some changes that will allow you to send the request via email, using the carrier's SMS "gateway". (xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com for example) It will then send the response back to the requestor's email address. I hope to have this done in a few days, but we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Nope, any phone with the ability to send a text message and open a google maps link can use this. (to REQUEST the location I should say) This would include pretty much any modern smartphone, and probably some feature-phones too.

Also, I'm adding some changes that will allow you to send the request via email, using the carrier's SMS "gateway". (xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com for example) It will then send the response back to the requestor's email address. I hope to have this done in a few days, but we'll see.

Ok so I put a trigger word in the space provided and texted a buddy and received nothing back. I made sure it was done exactly the way I typed it in.

To receive others locations all I need to do is use a trigger word right? No destination # ?
    Ok so I put a trigger word in the space provided and texted a buddy and received nothing back. I made sure it was done exactly the way I typed it in.

To receive others locations all I need to do is use a trigger word right? No destination # ?
    Does your buddy have Homing Device installed on their Pre or Pixie?
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts

Think you got it backwords, if you got the app, your buddy sends you the secret word and your Pre automatically sends him your current location....so until you change your secret code, the dude could get your location whenever he feels like it as long as you keep the app running.

Cool part about this could be that if you only want people to be able to use it to meet you out for drinks or w/e, you keep the app running and tell them the code...good stuff, but COULD be bad in the wrong hands.
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Might have to give this app a test run.
    ya maybe I have it backwards. I thougt you can use this app to see where your friends are. It looks like it just lets your friends know where YOU are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    Some households do not use landlines any more, so the idea I think is to text your phone from your pc via email or some other service like Sprint's web page etc...and then find your phone ringing in the sofa/fridge/garage etc...
    i'll add to this. the alarm still goes off if the ringer switch is off, would it be possible to add an alarm for when you text it?

trying to find your phone by calling it doesn't help much if your phone isn't making any noise.
    i have tried it out today and it works great.
    one suggestion if you can add the other person who is requesting the location their GPS location, ofcourse i know they also need their gps to be on.
    Two things that would make this app perfect for me

1. Email support - as I do not have unlimited SMS. I use Google Voice
    2. Ability to choose whether it runs in dashboard or not. I would rather not have something on my dashboard all the time.

Awesome app though - in concept - as I have not downloaded it yet because of my 200 SMS plan.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    I intentionally made it case-sensitive just to make the trigger word as unique as possible. My thinking was that this might prevent accidental triggers. It would be easy enough to change that, however, if the case sensitivity is a hassle. I'll consider adding this to my list of changes for the next release.
    Just want to add my vote for case INsensitivity. Set this up last night, and the first thing the wife did (to test) was send the trigger word, which Webos promptly capitalized.

Either that, or let me add more than one key word

BTW, love the concept, and I'm willing to live with the lost screen real estate, although full background operation would be VERY cool.
    I will use this in a second if:
    1) respond via however the message came in (email) - being addressed
    2) if it can run completely in the background without a card open.

Regarding #2 - how does the Weather Icon app do it? That app actually does a GPS lookup and updates the icon without the card being open. Unless its due to the scheduling locally on the phone? Could you set it up the same way; every 15min to a query to see if a SMS was received then reply?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    **Update**

Version 1.1.0 now available!
    Changes:
    1. Added the ability to receive requests FROM and send responses TO an email address, via your carrier's SMS gateway. For sprint users, this is xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com. (where the x's are your phone number) I believe all carriers have something similar to this, but I've only ever used/tested it on Sprint.
    - You can now specify an email address in the "Destination" text field.
    - You can now add email addresses in the whitelist. ("Who can Request my location" list)

2. By popular demand, the trigger word is no longer case-sensitive.

Let me know if you find any problems with this update, thanks!
    Last edited by Minsc; 06/23/2010 at 12:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Two things that would make this app perfect for me

1. Email support - as I do not have unlimited SMS. I use Google Voice
    2. Ability to choose whether it runs in dashboard or not. I would rather not have something on my dashboard all the time.

Awesome app though - in concept - as I have not downloaded it yet because of my 200 SMS plan.
    Having "true" email support - the ability to trigger the app with an incoming email and response via email - is going to take some work. It's on my list, but it may take a while.

Question: would having the ability to trigger the app using instant messaging (Yahoo, AIM, Google Chat, etc) be a worthwhile addition instead of email? I haven't looked into this too deeply, but because IM is handled within the Messaging app, it would likely be a lot less work.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrillhouse View Post
    I will use this in a second if:
    1) respond via however the message came in (email) - being addressed
    2) if it can run completely in the background without a card open.

Regarding #2 - how does the Weather Icon app do it? That app actually does a GPS lookup and updates the icon without the card being open. Unless its due to the scheduling locally on the phone? Could you set it up the same way; every 15min to a query to see if a SMS was received then reply?
    Check my post on the latest (1.1.0) update, does this meet your need, or do you want the app to be able to intercept an actual email (via the email application) and respond properly? If it's the latter, see my response to vasekvi.

Regarding your 2nd point, I will (at some point) be looking into doing this as a patch which (if it works) would make it run in the background with no UI. I don't know for sure what Weather Icon is doing, but I'm guessing it's using the timeout feature. (wakeup every 'n' minutes) The popular Baseball/Hockey/Football Live apps do this too. I'm not interested in pursuing this because it breaks the realtime nature of Homing Device. (or as near real-time as I can get it) But more importantly, when you use the timeout feature your app is NOT actually running - it's just getting activated after the timeout period expires. Homing Device works by registering itself with webOS as a "listener" of incoming messages. Once the app closes, it is no longer a listener. If I wanted use the timeout feature to wake it up every 10 minutes, the only way I could find out if there were any triggering SMS's would be to scan through that database (not even sure if that's allowed...) and find them. This would be pretty messy and prone to mistakes.

Unless Palm changes their API's and allows headless apps to run in the background, probably the best alternative is going to be the patch approach.
    going to install this app, sounds sweet.

by the way: VERY nice ap name, I like the name
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast