Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello

I just created an app called procrastinator and I'm about to publish it on preware.

In a few words, this app retrieves events from your calendar (and your google account if you enter this info) and sends you notifications on when you should leave, based on your itinerary time (calculated from your current location and your preferred transportation (car, bike, foot or public transports)

If you don't live in Paris please don't download it just yet as the public transports part relies on Paris-specific data. I'll try and add public transportation for other cities/countries asap

I'm also looking for beta testers as the app is still in an early development stage, your help would be very appreciated
    Will this work if you don't use metro or public transit in another area, like US?
    Would be a perfect app for me if there's ever a US version.
    This sounds really cool! Just based on the distance to your next meeting with a transport independent time estimate this would already rock.

This was also one of the things Palm showed in their first presentation of the Pre in January 2009. I already thought it would be included in the phone, but unfortunately wasn't...
  5.    #5  
    Here's a preview of what the app currently looks like - it's still in French, sorry about that

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/469013/USER%20GUIDE.pdf
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by fsuphi1490 View Post
    Will this work if you don't use metro or public transit in another area, like US?
    Normaly it should, haven't tried it in any other city/country yet though

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Would be a perfect app for me if there's ever a US version.
    There clearly will be one, trust me :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hz-R View Post
    This was also one of the things Palm showed in their first presentation of the Pre in January 2009. I already thought it would be included in the phone, but unfortunately wasn't...
    Thank you ! I couldn't find the part of the presentation where they talked about it and when I got to see Ben and Dion from Palm they seemed not to remember that feature, I was beginning to think I made it all up ...
    Anyways, the idea for the app is obviously from the presentation, I simply tried to implement it my way
  7.    #7  
    For those of you who would like to test the app, it's available on palm's beta catalog. This version only retrieves calendars from your google calendar since it doesn't have access to your device's calendars but it should give you a rough idea of what the app does
    Still in french, sorry about that, but I think it's pretty straightforward to use.. Let me know if you have any problems

Thanks a lot :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessyjones View Post
    Thank you ! I couldn't find the part of the presentation where they talked about it and when I got to see Ben and Dion from Palm they seemed not to remember that feature, I was beginning to think I made it all up ...
    Anyways, the idea for the app is obviously from the presentation, I simply tried to implement it my way
    I haven't seen this feature since either, but is was one of the things that sold me on the Pre back then. It just really 'wowed' me how integrated all systems on the phone were. Too bad it never made it on there, but a great oppertunity for you!

Could you make it available for other countries please? I'd like to give it a try, but I'm not able to download it.

And I think I would give the app another name. Somehow the current name doesn't really represent what the app does, but can't really think of anything appropriate either...
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
  9.    #9  
    Here's the link to the ipk file for the latest version : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/469013/com.p..._0.0.1_all.ipk

I should warn you that it uses the palm namespace to access events on the calendar. If you're not comfortable with that you can try this version http://dl.dropbox.com/u/469013/com.a..._0.0.1_all.ipk which does essentially the same thing except it only retrieves events from your google account.

It takes a while to load, I'm currently working on that but until I post a new version you might want to use it while connected to a wifi network, especially for the first launch.

The text is still in french, in a few words it will first prompt your google login and password, you can leave those fields blank if you already have your google calendar on your phone. After retrieving the calendars, it will show a banner telling you that it will sync for the first time in 5 minutes, and that you can now close the app if you want. After 5 minutes it will indeed fetch the events from your calendar (and display a dashboard on the screen) When it's done the dashboard displays "operation terminee" and your are free to close it
    2 hours before each event the app will launch itself and calculate the time you need to get there. It will then alert you 15min before the earliest departure date among your preferred options (that you can enable/disable in the preferences, voiture is car, ratp is common transports, velo is bike and marche is walking)

I know all of this can be very confusing but I'll really try and traslate it as soon as I can
    Is it still for French users only?
  11.    #11  
    No, I mean the common transports part won't work but the rest of the features should ... in theory
    So if I install the app the app will do the calculation telling what time I need to leave?? I am installing now I will report back
    Here's the link to the ipk file for the latest version : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/469013/com.p..._0.0.1_all.ipk

I should warn you that it uses the palm namespace to access events on the calendar. If you're not comfortable with that you can try this version http://dl.dropbox.com/u/469013/com.a..._0.0.1_all.ipk which does essentially the same thing except it only retrieves events from your google account.

It takes a while to load, I'm currently working on that but until I post a new version you might want to use it while connected to a wifi network, especially for the first launch.

The text is still in french, in a few words it will first prompt your google login and password, you can leave those fields blank if you already have your google calendar on your phone. After retrieving the calendars, it will show a banner telling you that it will sync for the first time in 5 minutes, and that you can now close the app if you want. After 5 minutes it will indeed fetch the events from your calendar (and display a dashboard on the screen) When it's done the dashboard displays "operation terminee" and your are free to close it
    2 hours before each event the app will launch itself and calculate the time you need to get there. It will then alert you 15min before the earliest departure date among your preferred options (that you can enable/disable in the preferences, voiture is car, ratp is common transports, velo is bike and marche is walking)

I know all of this can be very confusing but I'll really try and traslate it as soon as I can
    Thanks for the translations I am in the five minute stage now.
    Ok i jut got a dashboard notification "calcui d'itineraire en cours" I click the notification but nothing happens. How many events does it look at? Is it just for the current day or will the user be able to specify?
  15.    #15  
    Try to dismiss the notification and launch the app. You should have a list of events, including the one it has calculated the itineraries for. When you click on it it should display a dashboard (the same one that the one it will display 15 minutes before you have to leave)
    Right now it takes into account events starting in the next 24hours, as the app is scheduled to sync events everyday at midnight
    Let me know how it goes :-)
    Edit : also, when it dsiplays the said dashboard, you first have the title and start time for your event. Clicking on the notification then displays your itinerary times. Clicking on one of the icons (bus / car / bike / walking guy) should display a map of the itinerary. The bus won't work anywhere outside paris though
    Last edited by jessyjones; 06/19/2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Added info
    Ok I did what you said I see the list. I kept clicking event in app didn't notice the dashboard when I click on dashboard I see the various modes but all of them say "0" I now know I need to put in the full information for the event. I could put in partial information before and google maps would still find the location but this app didn't or maybe it was too many 3301 Ave l for it to calculate which one I was wanting to go to.

If you edit the event will the app recalculate?
    How about adding the function if you click on the event the same information pops up that the dashboard has IMO that is more natural the other will just take getting used to. Great app I am editing my event now to see if it recalculates
    If you add another event on the same day does the app rescan to add the event to the app?
  17.    #17  
    If you want it to recalculate you have to go to preferences and click the "resynchroniser les evenements" button for it to restart the whole process as if it was the first time you used the app. Even if the time displayed is zero you can click on it and it will try to calculate the itinerary and display the map anyways.
    There's also an "easter egg" (or something I like to think of as a hidden feature) : when the app has a card displayed, if you try relaunching it, it will display a form with a (prepopulated) departure and destination fields, you can enter any adress in both of them, clicking on the button will calculate the itinerary times the same way it does for any other event.

There's a lot to be done for the interface part, when I started this project I wanted it to run in the background and not display anything except notifications when needed, so the user screens still need to be improved
    by the way love the mario brothers sound. I just edited and it is recalucating now. Does each sync take 5 minutes?

Disregard question just read your post.
    If you want it to recalculate you have to go to preferences and click the "resynchroniser les evenements" button for it to restart the whole process as if it was the first time you used the app. Even if the time displayed is zero you can click on it and it will try to calculate the itinerary and display the map anyways.
    There's also an "easter egg" (or something I like to think of as a hidden feature) : when the app has a card displayed, if you try relaunching it, it will display a form with a (prepopulated) departure and destination fields, you can enter any adress in both of them, clicking on the button will calculate the itinerary times the same way it does for any other event.

There's a lot to be done for the interface part, when I started this project I wanted it to run in the background and not display anything except notifications when needed, so the user screens still need to be improved
    I clicke the zero and it tried to take me somewhere the red line kept going and going so that let me know I need to be clearer with my address inputting. I will have to find that easter egg. This is a great app will it remain free or eventuallly go paid? The ultimate touch would be adding the driving directions once you click on one of the icons.
  20.    #20  
    Thank you ... yes for now you have to wait 5mins for the app to sync, but I changed that already in the code, so I'll try and publish a new version asap
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast