Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Calc12c is a conversion of a web based HP12C emulator to a webOS application. The original is located at EPx - Web HP-12C Platinum emulator. The javascript engine is copyright Elvis Pfützenreuter, and he has kindly given premission for me to use it. And as he says 'This calculator is only a toy. Use at your own risk!' Don't blame me for the next GFC.

It is available from the Homebrew App Catalog here ... Calc12c, and therefore also from Preware. (I will continue to make the most recent update available as an attachment to this post and it may be a bit ahead of the Homebrew App Catalog version at times.)

The initial aim of the exercise was to provide webOS with a financial calculator. For scientific use there are already other options such as the RPN Scientific Calculator in the App Catalog, or I have now added additonal scientific function to this one and put it in the Homebrew Catalog as Calc12CS.

Algebraic calculator - [f] [ALG]
    Rerverse Polish calculator - [f] [RPN]

___

To get it running was fairly straight forward. All I basically had to do was create a webOS application framework, edit the appinfo.json file, put the HTML divs in the View file and the Javascript in the Scene's Javascript file and change the event handling over to Mojo's way of doing things and it worked.

It took a lot more time to organise a portrait version and keyboard access, but that's all done. The number-lock (option key) state is shown by a little arrow in the display. (I would like to use the standard webOS indicator once I find it.) The keyboard mapping is shown below

Pixi mode screen (no landscape mode) Tap the area on the left or right edge of the sceen to access the top 3 rows of the left-hand half of the original keyboard. (Compare with the Pre landscape image above.)

/* Keyboard mapping
    Numbers, decimal point/comma and arithmetic (+,-,*,/)
    Enter/Return or Equal sign = ENTER
    C = CLx (Clear x)
    H = CHS (change signal)
    E = EEX
    Modifiers: (F, G, S, R) map to (f, g, STO, RCL) modifiers
    Financial: (N, I, P, M, V) map to (n, i, PV, PMT and FV) operations.
    Percentage: (#, $, %) map to (T%, delta% and %)
    ! = power (y**x)
    \ = inverse (1/x)
    X = swap x with y (x<->y)
    D = Rotate down stack (R-down)
    W = Add statistical tuple (sigma-plus key)
    O = Toogles between decimal point and comma, and also saves memory as a cookie.
    Backspace = correct typing
    */

--------------
    NOTES

The Platinum model is capable of running in algebraic mode (brackets under test - see message #41) and the more efficient RPN . You can find a manual here. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00363319.pdf

Date Format - requires a 2 digit parameter after the decimal point (Month for D.MY format or day for M.DY format).
    eg 2nd June 2010
    [g][D.MY] - 2.062010
    [g][M.DY] - 6.022010

Original [ON] key has new functions
    [f][TDY] - today's date
    [<-] - backspace (delete last digit entered)
    [g][ . , ] - swap the use of ',' and '.' as decimal/thousands separator

Feedback is selectable between 'vibrate', 'click', 'both' and 'none' by a tap on the display area. Icons corresponding to the selection are shown just to the right of the display. Note : Use the haptic feedback option in sconix's Advanced Configuration for System Preferences patch for less lag.

-------------

The most recent .ipk file, which you can install using WEBOSQI or Preware

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11474544/com..._0.6.0_all.ipk

version to cope with webOS 3.0.5. Only need to update if running 3.0.5 on your Touchpad
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11474544/com..._0.7.0_all.ipk

6th July 2010 Initial Homebrew version 0.0.12 submitted
    18th July 2010 Homebrew version 0.1.4 submitted
    * Haptic feedback
    * Bracket processing in algebraic mode. '(' = [g][STO] and ')' = [g][RCL]
    * Autosaves status and memory, including program memory
    25th July 2010 Homebrew updated to 0.1.6
    * Increased time on memory storage cookie from 7 to 180 days
    * Added Today's date function [f][TDY] to make it easier to include it in the [g][DATE] (add days to date) and [g][delta DATE] (days between dates) functions.
    * Stack operations associated with date operations tidied up.
    3rd August 2010
    * The old ON key is now backspace. Removes last input digit.
    22nd September 2010
    * Feedback selection added
    1st November 2010
    * Correct the display during EEX function
    21st March 2011
    * includes Exhibition Mode for 2.1 devices
    19th November 2011 - 0.6.0
    * Pre 3 and Touchpad keymapping fixed
    * Runs outside the Touchpad's Mojo emulator enlarged 1.5x
    2nd Feb 2012 - 0.7.0
    * updated for webOS 3.0.5 orientation change

To Do List
    *Make shift indicator standard webOS
    *Check all operations
    *Incorporate help screens for hardware keyboard mapping.

Please let me know of any issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johncc; 02/02/2012 at 04:39 AM.
    cool! I've been wanting an app like this. Will download and test!
    Very cool. Finally, something very close to the layout of my old HP21c, which I still use on a daily basis. I particularly like the landscape mode. Some features worth your consideration, and which I consider essentials:
    - number display options for "fix" "eng", and "sci"
    - haptic feedback for key presses
    - log and 10^x keys
    Any chance you can include these features? If so, this has the potential to be my default go-to calculator
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Been a RPN and HP fan since my ELEE degree many years ago, will definitely watch this thread and test.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Ive been waiting for this since I got my Sprint Pre on launch day! Thank you!!!
    One more request item ....

the keys need to be much larger. My fingers have trouble finding the keys, and together with the lack of vibration feedback, makes keystrokes very error prone.

Also, the whole script seems to run too slowly, with lots of momentarily pauses that also add to keystroke errors.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    Very cool. Finally, something very close to the layout of my old HP21c, which I still use on a daily basis. I particularly like the landscape mode. Some features worth your consideration, and which I consider essentials:
    - number display options for "fix" "eng", and "sci"
    - haptic feedback for key presses
    - log and 10^x keys
    Any chance you can include these features? If so, this has the potential to be my default go-to calculator
    Check here for a scientific RPN calulator which is in the App Catalog.

iMarco's Scientific RPN calculator

Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    One more request item ....

the keys need to be much larger. My fingers have trouble finding the keys, and together with the lack of vibration feedback, makes keystrokes very error prone.

Also, the whole script seems to run too slowly, with lots of momentarily pauses that also add to keystroke errors.
    I will put haptic feedback on the to do list.

Use the thumb board to solve your key access problems.
    Last edited by johncc; 06/18/2010 at 11:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Any plans for the Pixi?
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Any plans for the Pixi?
    Yes. I will definitely make it Pixi compatible. The key size can't be really reduced, so I am thinking of displaying half of the keys at any one time and reviewing the keyboard operation to make it easier to use as the primary input.

Keyboard entry will work in the meantime.
    Last edited by johncc; 06/17/2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Keyboard works note
  10.    #10  
    The original image used was for the original 12C not the 12C Platinum. The code was Platinum. Changes X^2 is [g] [multiply] and Last X is [g] [+].

Files in the first message have been updated.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    The current version runs on the Pixi+ in Portrait mode. However, you do have to scroll to use keys below the 4,5,6,X row. In landscape, the 3,6,9,+,-,x,/ are inaccessible, but there are keyboard alternatives for those. Johncc is working on several approaches for better screen fit.
    I used earlier versions on my Pre and now have traded in my Pre for a Pixi+.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    The script is actually pretty good. The java versions seem to run faster than my original (very early) HP12c.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Verification of HP function compatibility could be a project undertaken by this forum. The HP12c Platinum Solutions Handbook is 168 pages of keystroke exercises to "teach" HP 12c operation. It is available here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00367123.pdf

I propose that those interested in supporting JohnCc's efforts volunteer to take on the task of verifying HP12c compatibility by running each exercise in the Solutions Handbook.

I will begin by volunteering to test the first two sections in the Handbook: Real Estate and Lending. Pages 7-38. I will report success/failures here. Any other takers?
    Thanks OP, I have been looking for an RPN calculator for the Pre.

I have a 41CV and two HP-42S calculators that I use daily. I also use the excelent Free 42 program written by Thomas Okken for Windows and Palm. No webOS version yet.

You can find it at thomasokken.com/free42/

There is a Palm version that I used on my Treo and Centro with a Stylus. I tried it with Classic on the Pre, but the buttons are so small in classic I had a hard time hitting the correct keys. I have not tried it with a Pre compatable Stylus.

Does anyone think they could take the Free42 Source code and make a WebOS version?

I'm sure the orignal author would be agreeable as some others have delveloped other platforms.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard83 View Post
    Thanks OP, I have been looking for an RPN calculator for the Pre.

I have a 41CV and two HP-42S calculators that I use daily. I also use the excelent Free 42 program written by Thomas Okken for Windows and Palm. No webOS version yet.

You can find it at Free42, an HP-42S calculator simulator

There is a Palm version that I used on my Treo and Centro with a Stylus. I tried it with Classic on the Pre, but the buttons are so small in classic I had a hard time hitting the correct keys. I have not tried it with a Pre compatable Stylus.

Does anyone think they could take the Free42 Source code and make a WebOS version?

I'm sure the orignal author would be agreeable as some others have delveloped other platforms.
    Since there is an iPhone version, it should certainly be possible. The conversion is supposedly fairly straight forward. The one that I use for scientific stuff is iMarco's one linked in post 7 of this thread. Not free, but good.
    Last edited by johncc; 06/18/2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: made the quoted URL into a link.
  16.    #16  
    Okay! Pixi mode is implemented. (Install the updated ipk in zip file in first post with WEBOSQI, or Preware or the P|C Homebrew App Catalog) THE FOLLOWING DESCRIPTION IS OBSOLETE. Access the other half of the keypad by tapping on the left or right sides of the screen. Let's know your thoughts. I have in mind for the bottom part of the portrait mode screen to be used for display of help information and probably a function guide.

BTW - Can anybody point me to a reasonably large front-view image of a Pixi

[images removed to reduce confusion with current version]

The program has been approved for inclusion in Homebrew, so this thread should be moving into the Homebrew Apps forum shortly.

Once I get a bit of feedback on the Pixi mode, I will upload it to Homebrew.
    Last edited by johncc; 08/03/2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: removed images- not current
  17.    #17  
    Date Format - requires a 2 digit parameter after the decimal point (Month for D.MY format or day for M.DY format). The original could apparently accept a single digit.

eg 2nd June 2010

[g][D.MY] - 2.062010
    [g][M.DY] - 6.022010
  18.    #18  
    The original code had delays to simulate the operation of the real HP calculator. Seemed to result in missed key presses. I have removed the delays in the updated .ipk in the OP (0.0.9), and the keypress behaviour seems better.
  19.    #19  
    This para obsolete
    I have a made change to the Pixi operation. In portrait mode, it now displays 5 rows, duplicating the [f][g] row so that it is accessible from both screens.

[obsolete image removed]

I thought that I might try and make that screen suitable for pure arithmetical operations without swapping, (by doubling up (as [f] or [g] operations) some of the operations such as [CLx] [CHS] from the other screen. Or I could probably just add the extra row of keys. Any thoughts? [525]
    Last edited by johncc; 08/03/2010 at 07:02 AM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    There are bigg images of Pixi & Pre Plus (Verizon) here:

Palm Pre Plus And Pixi Plus Coming To Verizon | Geeky Gadgets
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast