Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    On the Pixi+ is there any way for the user to have a preference option to select which extra row of keys to display in portrait mode and diamonds for the top row to do an on-screen swap of the top row?

e.g. The F,G,STO,RCL row is useful for Financial calcs, but the n,i,PV,PMT,FV would be a great addition for routine financial calcs. Toggling between screens to use F & G with the PV buttons was always a limitation on the old PalmOS 12c app. Others may prefer that the next row which has the bond calc keys and depreciation which make heavy use of the F key. Personally, I don't really use them much and I suspect many finance people just use the PV/TVM keys the most - see the old HP 22 layout here:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/22.jpg

Also, what do you think about getting rid of the grey bar that separates the display and keypad?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Okay! Pixi mode is implemented. (Install the updated ipk in zip file in first post with WEBOSQI) Access the other half of the keypad by tapping on the left or right sides of the screen. Let's know your thoughts. I have in mind for the bottom part of the portrait mode screen to be used for display of help information and probably a function guide.

BTW - Can anybody point me to a reasonably large front-view image of a Pixi

_____

The program has been approved for inclusion in Homebrew, so this thread should be moving into the Homebrew Apps forum shortly.

Once I get a bit of feedback on the Pixi mode, I will upload it to Homebrew.
    Help usually goes in the upper left corner of the display (see game Tetra Blocks). But, calc12c uses the entire screen (to good effect). Maybe a button could be added to the bottom in portrait or side in landacape to open a second card with help & other info?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by philesk View Post
    Help usually goes in the upper left corner of the display (see game Tetra Blocks). But, calc12c uses the entire screen (to good effect). Maybe a button could be added to the bottom in portrait or side in landacape to open a second card with help & other info?
    Thanks for the input and the link to the images.

I like your swappable top row idea. I will look into it. Might be even better to expand the keypad to 5 fixed rows (including [f][g] row) and swap the remaining rows into the top row.

There isn't a surplus blank area between rows actually. It just looks bigger because it's blank. All of the keys are equally spaced and actually need to be that way so that the position of the virtual key can be calculated from tap coordinates.

For help, I'm thinking about maybe a SYM key prefix type operation or maybe a mouseover popup arrangement if that works in webOS.

Let's know if you verify any functionality as mentioned in your previous post. I'd be particularly interested to know if the programmabilty works properly. I think that I should verify the functionality before I do too much more.
    Last edited by johncc; 07/06/2010 at 05:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Yes, my suggestion was to keep the [f][g] row as a perm fifth row and add a sixth swapable row the [n][i][PV] at the least. This can only happen in portrait mode as there would not be enough room in landscape.

I like the idea of using the [SYM] key for pop-up help.

No one else has volunteered to do function testing, and I have been busy with work this week, but will get around to it next week...
  5.    #25  
    The Pixi mode does not have a landscape mode anymore. (So restricted compared with portrait that I don't think that it would be used.)

Pixi screen now has 6 rows, with the facility to swap the top 3 rows of what was originally the left-hand side of the keyboard into the top row on the Pixi screen (see animation below). I think that should make a fairly useable arrangement for Pixi users. All of the left hand edge of the screen can be tapped to swap the top row.

zip file in OP updated.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johncc; 06/27/2010 at 09:23 PM.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    Very cool. Finally, something very close to the layout of my old HP21c, which I still use on a daily basis. I particularly like the landscape mode. Some features worth your consideration, and which I consider essentials:
    - number display options for "fix" "eng", and "sci"
    - haptic feedback for key presses
    - log and 10^x keys
    Any chance you can include these features? If so, this has the potential to be my default go-to calculator
    Sorry that I did not address your log and 10^x point at the time. I thought that you could get logs from natural logs but I had to 'brush up" on that bit of maths.

10^x is readily obtained from the y^x key and log(x) = ln(x)/ln(10), so now it's just the number formatting and haptic feedback that's missing.
    Check here for a scientific RPN calulator which is in the App Catalog.

iMarco's Scientific RPN calculator
    I've been using this since shortly after it came out. Somehow the keys seem too small, which is odd because I didn't have any trouble with a similar-looking calculator on the Treo. It's nice, though, and makes a little "click" when you "press" a key.

Thanks for the 12C, I expect I'll grab that, too. I never use sin and cos, and I do sometimes want to do a quick annuity calc (and I usually just use the basic functions plus y^x and 1/x) so this will be a nice little upgrade.
    Hmmm, tried to download this from Preware but it's not listed there. How can I get a copy to play with?

thanks.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    ver .12 is great on the Pixi+. It looks like you also made the numbers display font larger. The swapable top row is a real winner.

Now, I've got to get cracking on testing. Maybe time to move over to Homebrew or Preware...
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Hmmm, tried to download this from Preware but it's not listed there. How can I get a copy to play with?

thanks.
    The latest version is in the first post. JohnCC just updates the link.
    Download, load the .IPK into Quick Install, and you're in business...
  11.    #31  

I've been using this (iMarco's Scientific RPN calculator) since shortly after it came out. Somehow the keys seem too small, which is odd because I didn't have any trouble with a similar-looking calculator on the Treo. It's nice, though, and makes a little "click" when you "press" a key.

Thanks for the 12C, I expect I'll grab that, too. I never use sin and cos, and I do sometimes want to do a quick annuity calc (and I usually just use the basic functions plus y^x and 1/x) so this will be a nice little upgrade.
    On investigating the key size of Marco's calculator in the emulator using the mouse, I found that the key area is of a reasonable size, but it needs to be a bit further down the screen. If you tap under the key at all you will get the key below. (It's probably something that could be addressed with a patch. - A project for later.)

Yes, the click is something that I want to implement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  12.    #32  

thanks.
    The latest version is in the first post. JohnCC just updates the link.
    Download, load the .IPK into Quick Install, and you're in business...
    What he said.

But it will be in Homebrew and accessible from Preware soon. Just waiting for my request for this thread to be moved to Homebrew Apps to be actioned and a couple of more refinements, and then I will submit it.
  13.    #33  
    Submitted for Homebrew approval 29th June.
  14.    #34  
    Can somebody verify that the orientation change works properly on the Pixi? It should do portrait and upside-down portrait, with no change for landscape.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Can somebody verify that the orientation change works properly on the Pixi? It should do portrait and upside-down portrait, with no change for landscape.
    Yep. That works, although I don't know why anyone would want upside down portrait except maybe to show someone a calc result....
    -Phil
  16.    #36  
    Yep. That works, although I don't know why anyone would want upside down portrait except maybe to show someone a calc result....
    -Phil
    Thanks Phil. That was my thought when I left it in. (Might as well have that capability. Saves having to shift your grip on the phone.) [1019]
    Last edited by johncc; 06/30/2010 at 07:17 PM.
    i can not see the image
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by loxas View Post
    i can not see the image
    Which one?
  19.    #39  
    Now in the Homebrew App Catalog here ... Calc12c, and therefore also the Preware feed.
    Last edited by johncc; 07/06/2010 at 06:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Now in the Homebrew App Catalog here ... Calc12c, and therefore also the Preware feed.
    Congrats, John!
    -Phil
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast