Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by tkratos View Post
    Dear karry
    I have an acting server (IP address) which allow me to visit the blocked website in China by setting a VPN connection on my computer. Can I use it on Palm Pre with PreVPNc? I only have the IP address, user name and password.

I tried to setup as below
    VPN TYPE: PPTP
    HOST: the IP address
    USER:my username
    PASSWORD: my password
    MPPE: blank
    MPPESTATEFUL: blank
    NETWORK:192.168.0.0/24(as default)
    GATEWAY:192.168.0.1(as default)

When I click connect, it show below error:
    [IMG]

Btw, ROM version 1.4.5, PreVPNc version: cz.karry.vpnc_0.1.3vpn47_all.ipk
    thanks for your help!
    Hi man. Sorry for long silent. Solution for this problem is simple. You have to select any option in setting. That means that you can't leave any option "empty"...

I had add new point to PreVPNc TODO list: fill default value for eatch vpn option if it is empty...
  2.    #82  
    btw, default values in windows system are:
    mppe: require 128bit
    mppe stateful: permit

and, if you want transfer all traffic over vpn you should fill "default" to network and ip of your server in private network to gateway...
    Is there any way that installing and/or uninstalling PreVPNc can modify default WebOS network settings to make other things (like MHS) have trouble working afterwards?

I only ask because my Mobile Hotspot app was not working correctly after I removed PreVPNc at some point. Doctoring the phone fixed the issue, but I have been wary about reinstalling PreVPNc due to this.

I would like to keep trying to mess with PreVPNc to see if I can get it to work (last I used it, it would connect to my VPN but I could not connect to any computers on the network).
    Does PreVPNc support pixi? I ran it on pixi but got the following error:
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by wiiwaker View Post
    Does PreVPNc support pixi? I ran it on pixi but got the following error:
    It looks like that Pixi uses different kernel than Pre. Have you original Pixi kernel? Please, open console on your Pixi (or ssh) and try command

mv /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/cz.karry.vpnc/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/ /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/cz.karry.vpnc/modules/2.6.24-palm-chuck/

And try connect.

Pptp needs some kernel modules that is not included in original kernel, so I had to compile myself and distribute with PreVPNc.
    Last edited by karry; 09/24/2010 at 01:26 AM.
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Is there any way that installing and/or uninstalling PreVPNc can modify default WebOS network settings to make other things (like MHS) have trouble working afterwards?

I only ask because my Mobile Hotspot app was not working correctly after I removed PreVPNc at some point. Doctoring the phone fixed the issue, but I have been wary about reinstalling PreVPNc due to this.

I would like to keep trying to mess with PreVPNc to see if I can get it to work (last I used it, it would connect to my VPN but I could not connect to any computers on the network).
    Try take a look on /etc/resolv.conf If it is broken link to /opt/vpnbox/...
    repair it with
    Code:
    ln -sf /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
    So I too am getting this error too:

{"errorCode": "102","errorText":"Error while connecting: cp: cannot stat '/opt/vpnbox//etc/ppp/chap-secrets': No such file or directory cat:can't open '/tmp/chap-secrets': No such file or directory /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/cz.karry.vpnc//scripts/write_config_pptp.sh: line 12: cannot create /opt/vpnbox//etc/ppp/chap-secrets: nonexistent directory rm: cannot remove '/tmp/chap-secrets': No such file or directory...
    I tried creating a /var/opt directory and moved vpnbox to that but it didn't do anything. Also tried the postinstall fix but just got an error about the file not existing.

Anyone figure this out yet?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    So I too am getting this error too:

I tried creating a /var/opt directory and moved vpnbox to that but it didn't do anything. Also tried the postinstall fix but just got an error about the file not existing.

Anyone figure this out yet?
    After 1.4.5 update, the /opt directory no longer existed. On the Pre you have to create the /opt directory and copy /vpnbox into it.

Kerry any update on the status of r48:
    I promise that next snaphost (maybe 0.1.3 final) will comming soon. Instalation script is fixed already, it create "/opt" dir if it doesn't exists.

I wrote some points for todo:
    * add localhost (127.0.0.1) to resolv.conf everytime
    * after disconect all vpns, revert /etc/resolv.conf as symbolic link to /var/run/resolv.conf (?)
    * move configuration to tmpfs (RAM) filesystem -> make possible remount filesystem as ro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale46 View Post
    After 1.4.5 update, the /opt directory no longer existed. On the Pre you have to create the /opt directory and copy /vpnbox into it.
    I did create the opt directory and copied the vpnbox dir in it as you can see in my quote in your reply. If I did something wrong please say so, otherwise your post makes no sense.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I did create the opt directory and copied the vpnbox dir in it as you can see in my quote in your reply. If I did something wrong please say so, otherwise your post makes no sense.
    /opt is off the root, not within the /var directory.
  11.    #91  
    Hi all. I build next snapshot. It should fix some installation and uninstallation problems and implement better DNS handling. Dale, please let me know if it handle DNS for Cisco vpn correctly. I modified /etc/vpnc/vpnc-script, it write dns records to output now (not modify resolv.conf directly) and vpn service manage resolv.conf itself.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karry View Post
    Hi all. I build next snapshot. It should fix some installation and uninstallation problems and implement better DNS handling. Dale, please let me know if it handle DNS for Cisco vpn correctly. I modified /etc/vpnc/vpnc-script, it write dns records to output now (not modify resolv.conf directly) and vpn service manage resolv.conf itself.
    I installed using WOSQI with postinst option set and it installed in /opt/vpnbox as before.
    I had issues creating the profile; but, I need to repeat before I comment on that.

After connecting profile, DNS worked fine; but, I noticed the following:
    1. After disconnecting profile, the target site nameserver was not removed from /opt/vpnbox/etc/resolv.conf
    2. Each time I reconnect to the profile a new nameserver entry is added to the top of /opt/vpnbox/etc/resolv.conf

I now have 4 entries of the target site nameserver listed in /opt/vpnbox/etc/resolv.conf
    Can this file be recreated with only nameserver 127.0.0.1 after disconnecting?

3. After disconnecting the profile, the status changes to Disconnecting and never returns to Inactive. This started when you changed the code level. Would a delay in status query help?

More later
    Dale
  13.    #93  
    Next snapshot today. /opt/vpnbox/etc is currently mounted to ram (tpmfs), so PreVPNc can run on read-only filesystem. Please test it and report your experience. Pptp works fine for me...
  14.    #94  
    Dale, thank for testing. I probably found & fix "always disconnecting" bug. Try snapshot 0.1.3svn53
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karry View Post
    Dale, thank for testing. I probably found & fix "always disconnecting" bug. Try snapshot 0.1.3svn53
    Yes, you did fix all 3 of the issues I identified.

Your app is doing everything it is supposed to do. I do have a few questions:
    1. I no longer find the cisco profile located in /opt/vpnbox/tmp. Where are the active profiles stored?
    2. Once you exit your app, VPNc remains active. Can you turn the WIFI/EVO level indicators green while VPNc is active?
    3. Will the VPNc connection re-enable itself as you move from one WIFI to another? Will VPNc function over EVO?
    4. Will VPNc automatically disconnect and restore correct nameserver if you move to the target network.

Also, I have an application on my target site which also requires me to point to a proxy server that is different than my Cisco host. Does VPNc app have a parameter which could be enabled?

Great job on this app!

Dale
  16.    #96  
    ad 1) it is located in /opt/vpnbox/etc/vpnc/ now. Directory /opt/vpnbox/etc is mounted to ram (tmpfs), so you can leave other filesystems read-only. When you restart phone configuration with secrets is no longer in files (but it is still located in unencrypted base)
    ad 2) nice idea. Generally, vpn service should use some notifications when last connection or other events occurs... I guess that it will not be hard implement.
    ad 3) It depends on used backend. Pptp works file when you move from 3G to Wifi and back... But Pre vpn service don't try connect again after error, so if you last connection (for example in metro) you have to connect again.
    ad 4) no. detection of this is not implemented

Hmm, you can try use different gateway. I am planning add possibility define more routing rules... Service is ready for that, we need only improve ui for this possibility.

Again, thank for testing Cisco vpn.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    One thing I do notice that is different between r47 and r53.

Previously, the Cisco host responded with 2 nameserver addresses (in the log) and both were placed in /opt/vpnbox/etc/resolv.conf which we created a symbolic link to /etc/resolv.conf.

Now, v53 seems to only capture the first nameserver responded from the Cisco host (in the log) I actually have used the second nameserver as my profile's gateway address.

This is not a problem unless the first nameserver is down or fails. Capturing both provides redundancy.

Dale
  18.    #98  
    Problem is probably in mine modification of vpnc-script. But I dont see where is this bug. If you want experimenting around this, put your script to /media/internal/.vpn/vpnc-script. Configuration script write_config_cisco.sh use it as default if it exists.

The key is line 228 of vpnc-script that write nameserver to output. Vpn service read it and modify resolv.conf itself.
    trying to connect to my company's cisco VPN. I get an error about not being able to specify a domain:

/usr/sbin/vpnc: server requested domanin, but none set (use "Domain ..." in configor --domain)
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    trying to connect to my company's cisco VPN. I get an error about not being able to specify a domain:

/usr/sbin/vpnc: server requested domanin, but none set (use "Domain ..." in configor --domain)
    Create file .vpn/cisco_template (dot is required) in your Pre's internal memory and write
    Code:
    # --- user-id
    Xauth username %USERID%

# --- password ----
    %USERPASSTYPE% %USERPASS%

# --- The Cisco vpn gate server
    IPSec gateway %HOST%

# --- The Cisco groupe-id
    IPSec ID %GROUPID%

# --- groupe password ----
    %GROUPPASSTYPE% %GROUPPASS%

Domain YOURDOMAIN
    I will add domain to configuration in next version.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast