Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Update: this application has been accepted into the Palm App Catalog and is now available through that.

Note: the latest update does require that you remove the old version from your phone.

I created this application because I was looking for a really easy speed dial application that gave me all of my speed dial contacts on one easy to access scene. I did not want to have to make a lot of choices or go through a lot of scenes to add a contact. I wanted it to be well, easy.

Easy Dial List is a speed dial application that keeps easy in the name and the structure of the application. It is a one-stop shop for all of your speed dial needs and allows you to access contact numbers quickly and easily. It also allows you to send an SMS message to any mobile phone numbers in the list by touching the messaging icon on the right of the easy contact. It is easy to add contacts and just as easy to delete them. You can add an easy contact to the list for a weekend and delete it later so your list is kept short and easy. Of course Easy Dial List can hold many contacts, you just have to flick to scroll down the list and select the easy contact you desire.

I plan to add the ability to pull up a more in-depth contact detail card as desired by the user.

Please let me know what you think of this application and what I can do to make it more useful to you.

I am currently in the process of adding it to the Homebrew repository and will update this when it is published.

Easy Dial List can be found at:
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/easy-dial-list
    Last edited by graysoft; 06/17/2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: update note
    I just downloaded the app and gave it a whirl. It will not let me choose a telephone number for a contact. It only give me the first number for the contact and nothing more.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    suzyQt, on the add to Dial List card you should be able to tap the displayed phone number (which is the first number in the contact) and it should give you a select list of all the available numbers in the contact. It should look like the second additional screenshot displayed on the down load site. At least that is the way it is supposed to work. Are you able to tap the displayed number to get the select list or is that not working? Thank you very much for trying this app and testing it.
    Last edited by graysoft; 06/10/2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added more information to help clarify
    Yes that works. But it wasn't intuitive - the text says Select Phone Number to use, but only displays one number, whereas I would expect it to display all numbers. If all numbers cannot be displayed to choose from, I think maybe I would not display any number and just have text saying Click here to choose a Phone Number.
    Thx.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    suzyQt
    Thanks, I will work on this to see if it can be more intuitive. I thought that the select list was a interesting way to do it, but that is what testing is for. :-) Thanks again for your time. I will post an update as soon as I can.
    Looking forward to the update.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I have updated EasyDialList and have taken suzyQt’s advise and tried to make it more intuitive. I have changed the “Select Preferred Phone Number” scene to just have a list that you choose from. I have also added a Contact Detail scene that will allow you to tap the easy contact picture and get all of the contact’s phone numbers, email addresses, and IM addresses to choose from.

Unfortunately this update will require you to remove the old version from you phone and I apologize for any inconvenience that the causes, but hopefully it is easy to add your contacts back into the new version and I hope that this is more useable for you.

Thanks for your time.
    Yes, that is much better - you can select the number after selecting the name, much more straight forward. I like it, very easy to use!

The only other suggestion I would make for enhancements would be to allow the user to edit the name. I know right now Easy Dial List just pulls the name straight from the contact db. However, someone might want to put a nickname to display or simply edit the name down from full name to just the first name.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    suzyQt, thanks again, that is a very good comment. I will work towards that. Unfortunately it will probably change the back end again requiring a remove and reinstall.

Update: Actually after thinking about it I should be able to do it without have to change the way the data is stored, so maybe will not require a complete reload.
    Last edited by graysoft; 06/13/2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Added information
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I want to thank everyone who downloaded this and tested it. I espsecially want to thank suzyQt for all of the great advice and feature requests/suggestions. I will work to implement all of them. This app is now only available via the Palm App Catalog (leagal reasons I guess). I will continue to use Precentral for Beta testing as I add additional features. Please let me know what you would like to see to make the app more useful to you. I look forward to hearing from you.
    I love the simplicity of this program and have recommended it to all my Pre friends who also love it and have purchased it.

Question - when I click to add a new contact, it pulls all of the number from Contacts, however it may not display them in the same order as it is displayed in Contacts. For example, I have many contacts for couples, where I use one contact listing, and it may have a home phone number, mobile, mobile. I always enter the guy's mobile first and the girl's mobile second so I know who is who. If I search in Contacts it is displayed this way. However, I just got an incorrect entry in EDL because it displayed the mobile numbers in reverse order, and I selected the second thinking it was my girlfriend but it ended up being the husband's cell. Interestingly, if I do a Universal Search on the same contact, it displays the mobiles in reverse order. What determines the sort order that is displayed in different apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by graysoft View Post
    suzyQt, thanks again, that is a very good comment. I will work towards that. Unfortunately it will probably change the back end again requiring a remove and reinstall.

Update: Actually after thinking about it I should be able to do it without have to change the way the data is stored, so maybe will not require a complete reload.
    Was this ever implemented? I don't see it.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    suzyQt, I have not had the chance to do it yet, I hope to get it out in the next couple of weeks.
    Thanks. And how about the issue in post #11?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    suzyQt, I am not sure what causes some apps to display the numbers in different orders. I pull the numbers from the contact database in the order that they are stored. There may be a index that Contacts uses to reorder them. I will see if there is (if I can find it) and if I can somehow use it.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    suzyQt

I also wanted to thank you for recommending Easy Dial List to your friends. I hope that they also find it easy to use and useful. Please let me know if they have ideas to make it better.

So far I would like to add, as I get the time, are the ability to change the display name as you requested and a preferences scene that would allow the user to choose not to auto dial numbers if wanted ( I have actually accidentally dialed some numbers ). It would require the user to press the dial button on the phone app.
    Last edited by graysoft; 06/28/2010 at 09:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I have uploaded a new test version 1.4.0 to the repository.
    http://uploads.precentral.net/homebr...easy-dial-list
    I have added the ability to edit the Easy Contact prior to selecting the preferred phone number. (I would like to add a way to edit Easy Contacts already in the list also, but that will take a little more time) I have also added a button to allow the user to get to the Phone App.

suzyQt, I am still going to look into the way that Contacts lists the phone numbers, but just have not had the time. I checked a few other apps and they also have the same issue that EasyDialList and the Global search have. So Contacts must be using a special way to remember the order. I just have to dig deeper I guess. :-)
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    suzyQt, I have tried in vain to see how or why the contact numbers in Contacts sometimes are differently listed in EDL or Global Search. I could not get it to happen all of the time, so I am wondering if it may actually be some kind of bug in Contacts. Or, it is just over my head. Sorry, I hope that this does not cause too much inconvenience to you or to any of the users.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I have submitted an update 1.4.2 to Palm which allows the user to edit the Easy Contact Display name either at the initial add or by using the main app menu item. Hopefully Palm will get it into the App Catalog in the next few days.
    The main app menu way also gives the user the ability to select a new preferred number if they wish. Otherwise you would just select the same preferred number as before.
    I keep getting failure to download the update using Preware. And now it's left the app inoperable. Tried removing and re-installing but same result - no Easy Dial List.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast