Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I came across a couple of threads with people saying they had bought a Pre with the expectation that a Tube Info app would be included because of misleading images that Palm have had up on their website.

Because of this I decided to write my own app to fill this gap until Palm (maybe) do something about it.

It uses a free online API to download the current status of all the Tube Lines and then display them to the user. Once you have downloaded the statuses (which takes next to no time) you can view them continually without having to have connectivity (so you can go underground and still check on which stations are closed for example).

Hope you enjoy it.

Version 1.2.5

Added a Tube Map.

Re-worked some of the UI. Now tapping a line's status will give further details. Simpler smaller buttons for navigation.

Tidied up Journey Planner, now only shows stations where you will need to change line.

Fixed a couple of bugs.

Version 1.2.0

Fixed 'Show Details' so it always shows the details and displays 'No Further Details' if there aren't any.

Now properly supports DLR and also shows Overground Status.

NEW: I have added a very basic Journey Planner. I built it by hand so there may be some errors, but it is an offline planner so will work underground. Currently you pick two stations and it will list the quickest path (fewest stops) between them, station by station. This is only at an early stage and I plan to improve it and add further features.

Version 1.1.0
    Simple display of overall statuses.
    Option to view more details (like specific station closures and replacement services)
    Last edited by psychofly; 05/29/2010 at 07:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    sounds great - where is it?
  3.    #3  
    Have submitted it to the PreCentral Gallery, will post when it's published.
    I'll look out for it

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tommce View Post
    sounds great - where is it?
    Just to let you know, it has now appeared in the Homebrew Gallery
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Thanks - all installed.

A question though; nothing happens when I tick 'Show Details' and refresh
  7.    #7  
    Hmmm... that's odd. Will look into it.

UPDATE: OK, so the issue is that there often aren't any extra details for one or more lines. There was one small bug where the program might skip the odd extra detail, but that will be fixed in the next update. I will also add text to indicate the fact that there aren't any extra details rather than leaving it blank.

=)
    Last edited by psychofly; 05/26/2010 at 10:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    That makes perfect sense - the old 'showing nothing when there's actually nothing to show' problem!

I'll look out for the update
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Hi any chance you could put this in the Palm web/beta feeds so it can reach a wider audiance?

Thanks for the app by the way
  10. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    It deeply saddens me that it took such a long time for someone to make an app for one of the busiest transport systems in the world. I like the app but there is definitely room for improvement. Right now, selecting 'Show details' seems to do nothing. Tapping on statuses also does nothing. Statuses for Circle line and DLR also show 'Unknown' all the time. Bakerloo line status says 'Home' underneath, but what's that supposed to mean?

Here the features/improvements I'd like to see-

1. Display details of suspensions/closures when a particular line is tapped. Perhaps you could display it in an expanded menu similar to the way menus are implemented in the email app.

2. Include a tube map that is viewable in both portrait and landspace mode, with pinch-to-zoom support.

3. Remove the 'Show Details' bar and put it in the 'Preferences' menu. Change the 'Refresh' button to a small refresh button similar to the web browser and Facebook app.

4. Add a journey planner. I am sure there are APIs available for it.

That's all I want from a tube app and I would gladly pay for it if it includes these features.

Thanks.
    Staff Writer, Top10
    Twitter @Dew_Top10
    In addition to the 'Home' and 'Unknown' statuses Dew points out above, the Picadilly Line permanently shows as 'Minor Delays', even when there is a good service.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post

Here the features/improvements I'd like to see-

1. Display details of suspensions/closures when a particular line is tapped. Perhaps you could display it in an expanded menu similar to the way menus are implemented in the email app.

2. Include a tube map that is viewable in both portrait and landspace mode, with pinch-to-zoom support.

3. Remove the 'Show Details' bar and put it in the 'Preferences' menu. Change the 'Refresh' button to a small refresh button similar to the web browser and Facebook app.

4. Add a journey planner. I am sure there are APIs available for it.
    1. This is implemented in 'Show Details', but as discussed in a previous post, there are currently a few issues with it, but these will be addressed in the next update. I am considering changing it to an expanding menu, but this may not happen in the next update.

2. Hadn't really considered doing this yet, but will look into it. If it can be done fairly easily then it will be in the next update.

3. Am considering redoing the UI, so will take this into account.

4. I looked into this but it turns out that there isn't an API (or at least I couldn't find one). However, I am currently in the process of writing one myself. This will also have the advantage of working even when underground since no connectivity will be required. I have just finished the basic algorithm and am about to sort out a UI and a couple of other features.

With regards to the odd line statuses, I got in touch with the guy who runs the API and he has fixed that, as well as adding support for London Overground statuses. It may cause a couple of the lines to stop working, however, until the next update of the App.
  13.    #13  
    App updated and uploaded.

Bugs Fixed, Journey Planner added.
  14.    #14  
    Another update. (This is far more interesting than revising for exams)

Tube Map added. UI redone. Bit of polish here and there.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    The Journey planner, although very basic, works pretty well; good work!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Any updates on this? It was starting to look promising, but development seems to have dropped off suddenly?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Any updates on this? It was starting to look promising, but development seems to have dropped off suddenly?
    Sorry, I've been abroad for a while, but am back now and am planning to get back to work on it at some point in the next week.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Tried the journey planner from London City Airport. Did not find the station. My fault or missing in the app?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mullern View Post
    Tried the journey planner from London City Airport. Did not find the station. My fault or missing in the app?
    Probably because London City Airport's not on a Tube line; it's on the DLR?
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Probably because London City Airport's not on a Tube line; it's on the DLR?
    Yeah, that's true, but shouldn't a Travel Planner not cover this as well? At least it would be nice.......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast