Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    *** NOTE: This app does not work on webOS 2.x. I haven't given up, but it will require a lot of work to make it happen. ***

You can forward calls, but you can't forward texts. Well, until now that is. This application will let you forward your text messages to the number of your choice. You can also send an auto-reply message to the sender. Note that in order for the application to work, your phone must be turned on and in coverage, with the application running and active.

Use scenarios:
    You are getting new service and you can't port number for some reason. Forward the message, and send an auto-reply saying "your message has been forward to my new number, please update your address book with my new number: (xxx) xxx-xxxx."

You are going out of the country temporarily on a business trip or vacation. Not too many places in the world where you can use your CDMA device. Put your phone on the charger and set it up to forward your text messages to the number you are using while you are out of the country.

If you are juggling multiple phones, you can leave your Pre or Pixi at home and forward your text messages to the phone you will be carrying with you.

You are in an important meeting and can't be replying to text messages on your phone. Set the app to auto-rely with a message saying you will get back with them when you are out.

*** NOTE: This app does not work on webOS 2.x. I haven't given up, but it will require a lot of work to make it happen. ***

Link to app gallery page: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...o-forwardreply

Current features
    -Allows forwarding messages, replying to them, or both.
    -Dashboard operation -- Activate and throw away the card, switches to dashboard icon that shows message count processed when clicked.
    -If the incoming message is from a contact, forwarded message will include their name, otherwise it will be the address only (phone number or email address.)
    -For MMS messages, forwards only the sender's name or number and any text found.
    -Disallow forwarding messages to your device's phone number.
    -Does not reply to messages from your device's phone number.
    -Does not reply to messages from email address (via an SMS email gateway, i.e. )
    -Does not reply to messages if sender's phone number length is too short (i.e. messages from short codes typically used by services -- banking, Twitter, etc).
    -Does not reply to messages if sender is not in your contacts.
    -Displays number of messages that have been forwarded since app was opened.
    -Allows manual entry of forward number or via selecting a contact using people picker.
    -Verifies that selected contact has a mobile number (automatically selects first mobile number for contact.)
    -Loop prevention - does not forward if incoming number is the same as forward number, or if incoming message is an auto-reply from the incoming number.

Planned changes
    -Add preferences page:
    - Option to only reply to numbers in your contacts (This is defaulted to on for privacy reasons)
    - Option to remember last forward # and reply text (currently always does this)
    -UI improvements
    -White list -- Optionally reply to only certain numbers/contacts.
    -Ability to create a list of pre-defined auto-reply messages.

Potential enhancements (if there is demand and I can figure out how)
    -Allow automatic forwarding as an email
    -Automatic auto-reply when driving option.

Change Log

0.9.9: MMS forwarding bug-fix - now looks for included text correctly and includes in forwarded message.

0.9.8: Added additional code to prevent message loops. Also fixed a bug when updating forward number via number look-up instead of contact look-up.

0.9.7: Added dashboard operation! Activate and throw away the card, switches to dashboard icon that shows message count processed when clicked. New icon courtesy of chav1to.

0.9.2: This is a minor update from a user perspective.
    - fixed one bug that was allowing you to set the forward number to your own number in some cases.
    - added instructions to help page, so it's actually helpful.
    - removed some leftover test files I was no longer using.

0.9.1: Initial homebrew release

If you find this app useful, please consider donating.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/23/2011 at 11:30 AM.
    looks like a great program is there a way to add an auto reply while moving feature? Like if the GPS say's you are going xx mph the auto reply will reply to the text that you are driving and will get back to them later.
    This app works great I can successfully forward messages to my google voice for a history. Thanks
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    when the app opend and activated it works forward and reply works, but when closed it wont work, and when reopen it again, the app deactivated and needs to reactivate to work. is that normal?!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by amjz View Post
    when the app opend and activated it works forward and reply works, but when closed it wont work, and when reopen it again, the app deactivated and needs to reactivate to work. is that normal?!!
    Currently, you must leave the app open. Making the app capable of running in the background is on my list of things to try to implement in the future. I forgot to note that when I was adding future items to this thread. (Updated)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by housetube View Post
    looks like a great program is there a way to add an auto reply while moving feature? Like if the GPS say's you are going xx mph the auto reply will reply to the text that you are driving and will get back to them later.
    That's an interesting idea that I had not thought of. For people with the discipline to not check their phone as soon as it dings, that would be a good safety feature. I will add it to the list of things to look into. The tradeoff there is potential battery drain due to the GPS monitoring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That's an interesting idea that I had not thought of. For people with the discipline to not check their phone as soon as it dings, that would be a good safety feature. I will add it to the list of things to look into. The tradeoff there is potential battery drain due to the GPS monitoring.
    I know it sounds silly, but I would turn it on when I get into the car and off when I'm done driving, so the battery drain wouldn't be an issue for me (TS Mounted in the car). It would just be a nice feature to let people know I'll get back to them shortly, and I would not feel compelled to read the text or pull over to answer it.

-shakes fists in air due to a lack of discipline aaarrrrgggghhh
    how about a feature to "schedule" a text message. I had software on my windows mobile device that did this which was incredibly useful.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    how about a feature to "schedule" a text message. I had software on my windows mobile device that did this which was incredibly useful.
    It would definitely be possible to do that. It seems like I saw a post asking for an app like that in another thread. It wouldn't fit in with this app, but if someone wants to create one, they are welcome to the code to send the sms.
    Hi Grabber!

Great little program going here.

Can you type in a message such as: I am on a plane right now but will return calls / texts when we land.

.................... and have it auto reply to all calls / texts that come in to the Pre?

Cheers,

PPR
    there is a function to reply to sender so you could popluate that field with that text and it would send it out.
    Last edited by mamouton; 05/19/2010 at 10:38 AM.
    O.K.- I see.....so it will auto-reply to whoever sends in a text until you disable it. Good stuff. Now ....if we could have Grabber make it reply via text to contacts that call as well.
    Cheers!
    PPR
    How long does it take to get on Preware geez.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    didn't work for me at all no auto replies even when application is left open and activated... preferences in the menu do nothing... am i doing something wrong?
    I'm not sure if I will use the application, but it's a really good feature and I will download it to see if I can help out with the icon.
    First attempt. Let me know if this is not appropriate or what to change.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_Pre_Rocks View Post
    O.K.- I see.....so it will auto-reply to whoever sends in a text until you disable it. Good stuff. Now ....if we could have Grabber make it reply via text to contacts that call as well.
    Cheers!
    PPR
    To be clear (will update first post) - the phone has to be on and in coverage in order for the app to work, because it occurs on the device, not the network. You won't be able to do that most of the time on a plane, since they make you turn your phone off (or at least put it in airplane mode).

I have been wanting to see if I can get notified of incoming phone calls, but I have just been slammed at work the last few weeks. That would be a nice option to add.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    How long does it take to get on Preware geez.
    Been wondering that myself. I have looked over the form and don't see anything additional that I need to do to get it into Preware in addition to the gallery on here. I see apps that say updated today in Preware, so I expected to see it by now.

Edit: I'm a dork! I forgot that by default it doesn't show apps in the feed that are already installed on your phone. It is there in today's updated app list! Update your feeds and you should see it (unless of course you installed it directly from the app gallery)
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/19/2010 at 09:18 AM.
    It is in Preware as of this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post

I have been wanting to see if I can get notified of incoming phone calls, but I have just been slammed at work the last few weeks. That would be a nice option to add.

xanthanliod has made a patch that allows you to ignore incoming calls with a text. It might be a good place to start looking.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...n-options.html
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast