Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    hey ccdoss i was trying to help hold it down for you.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    hey ccdoss i was trying to help hold it down for you.
    I appreciate you looking out for me. I can use all the help I can get with this thing.
    I've tried this app briefly, but I'm thinking that I'd probably not find it convenient enough to use unless it could replace the stock email app completely. For example, there doesn't seem to be a way to delete messages from EC. So I'd typically be reading my new messages in the built-in email app, disposing of them as I go. The feature in EC that I might find really useful is the ability to send a message to the calendar. But if I have to launch a separate app and then find that message again, there's much less incentive.

The email vault idea is terrific. It would solve a big problem for the kind of travel documents you mentioned in the first post.
    I know he is trying to get it ready for app catalog and then make the changes being requested. I concur this would be a great email app replacement!
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I've tried this app briefly, but I'm thinking that I'd probably not find it convenient enough to use unless it could replace the stock email app completely. For example, there doesn't seem to be a way to delete messages from EC. So I'd typically be reading my new messages in the built-in email app, disposing of them as I go. The feature in EC that I might find really useful is the ability to send a message to the calendar. But if I have to launch a separate app and then find that message again, there's much less incentive.

The email vault idea is terrific. It would solve a big problem for the kind of travel documents you mentioned in the first post.
    I appreciate the comments. The initial focus of EC is to be addendum, not a replacement, to the stock email application. However, I do understand it could be a pain to have to go back and forth between the two. As for adding an email to the calendar, EC does provide a summary of the email inside the calendar app. So, when you bring up the calendar, you can see a summary right there in the calendar. EC also says when it was sent so you can quickly find the email there.

It sounds like your main issue is with the lack of being able to delete. What other issues/suggestions would you have for the app?

I do eventually plan to allow deleting from within EC, but not for a while. It's not an implementation issue, but a fear issue. As of now, the worst that could happen with EC is some minor inconveniences here and there. No matter what, you can always still get to all of your emails. If deletion was added to EC, and there was some mistakes (remember, this isn't even version 1.0 yet), then the person could be left without vital emails.
    Hi ccdoss, yes, it's an OR instead of an AND. For example, our work email system is based on emails getting sent high importance in Outlook (we have automated system alerts that send out emails high-priority if an application or server is dead, for example). However, it's also useful to set up separte alerts based on getting an email from your boss or from an important client (which promotes good customer service). Watchflag allows you to configure as many alerts as you want. Most people only need a few.

Not being a WebOS developer, it doesn't sound all that tough and it sounds like you have some of the pieces in place already - the key is all the pieces coming together. I'm not sure about how Exchange email is displayed in the native WebOS client, but if the priority of the email is not displayed (high priority or not), then being able to show WHICH particular email (or emails) came in at high-priority is also a minor requirement.

The Watchflag guys have been at this for at least 4-5 years on WinMo so there is definitely a market for this particular function in the enterprise space where WinMo predominates.

A word on reliability - I don't know how the mail APIs work that WebOS uses (and if/whether/what degree you have any control over them) - though it is doing better than it used to (maybe back on WebOS v1.2 or 1.3 in my experience), the built-in mail client still seems to get hung up and not automatically reset itself at times. Reliability here is a good thing - the ability to reset/retry the connection once it gets hung up is also a key feature. Yes, I may go into a cell phone dead zone every once in a while, but, once I come out, the service needs to go back to being live if at all possible. Anyway, just a thought...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scotland, just to be sure (I've taken a quick peek at the link you sent), you're primarily interested in having a method to be annoyed if an email is from a certain sender, contains a certain word or phrase, or has a certain priority? I guess these should be AND'ed together? Or should they be Or'ed, or both? If that's the case, some of this is done in my keyword scanner and my flagged emails. So, the functionality might not be all that more complex.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotland View Post
    Hi ccdoss, yes, it's an OR instead of an AND. For example, our work email system is based on emails getting sent high importance in Outlook (we have automated system alerts that send out emails high-priority if an application or server is dead, for example). However, it's also useful to set up separte alerts based on getting an email from your boss or from an important client (which promotes good customer service). Watchflag allows you to configure as many alerts as you want. Most people only need a few.

Not being a WebOS developer, it doesn't sound all that tough and it sounds like you have some of the pieces in place already - the key is all the pieces coming together. I'm not sure about how Exchange email is displayed in the native WebOS client, but if the priority of the email is not displayed (high priority or not), then being able to show WHICH particular email (or emails) came in at high-priority is also a minor requirement.

The Watchflag guys have been at this for at least 4-5 years on WinMo so there is definitely a market for this particular function in the enterprise space where WinMo predominates.

A word on reliability - I don't know how the mail APIs work that WebOS uses (and if/whether/what degree you have any control over them) - though it is doing better than it used to (maybe back on WebOS v1.2 or 1.3 in my experience), the built-in mail client still seems to get hung up and not automatically reset itself at times. Reliability here is a good thing - the ability to reset/retry the connection once it gets hung up is also a key feature. Yes, I may go into a cell phone dead zone every once in a while, but, once I come out, the service needs to go back to being live if at all possible. Anyway, just a thought...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I believe I've seen where it determines if a message is of high importance or not. I think I came across it when determining if a message has been read or not for my calendar. Anyways, I will definitely add this to the mix of features. I'm adding autoscans now, which will bring us to version 1.0. After that will be auto forwards and auto replies, as well as the vault. I believe the watchdog (I will have to give it another name) can be next.

As far as reliability is concerned, it is definitely a pain. That has added about 40% of my development time because the email client API's (which aren't public, by the way) don't work the same all the time. My app doesn't really affect that, since it doesn't actually do any of the grabbing of emails. It simply looks at the ones already on the phone.

It makes me feel a lot better knowing it took them 4-5 years, since I've been working on this for 4-5 months . It's also good knowing that there's a market for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdoss View Post
    As for adding an email to the calendar, EC does provide a summary of the email inside the calendar app. So, when you bring up the calendar, you can see a summary right there in the calendar. EC also says when it was sent so you can quickly find the email there.

It sounds like your main issue is with the lack of being able to delete. What other issues/suggestions would you have for the app?
    I meant that if I'm reading emails in the stock app and decide that I'd like to add one to the calendar (or in future to copy it to an email vault), I then have to open EC and find the same email there. It's not too tough, just an extra step that breaks the flow.

When I first bought my pre on Sprint launch day last June, I was hoping to see a replacement email app with much of the functionality that used to be in ChatterEmail on PalmOS. For example, you could color-code different email accounts, mark and delete multiple email messages, or move several messages to a named folder to be saved indefinitely. There were key-commands to reply and forward messages, delete or move to the next message. Moreover, those key-commands could all be used within the message view, so you could walk down the list of your recent messages and handle them in one way or another, with the next one on the list being displayed automatically as soon as you'd responded to or deleted the previous one.

However, since no such replacement email app has appeared over the last 11 months, I've pretty much gotten used to the built-in app, especially now that there's a search function and a patch to allow confirmation after swipe-to-delete. I don't know if this is possible, but I would love an ability to replicate within the built-in email app those two specific functions of EC that I mentioned in my last post (add to calendar and store in vault). This could be done through patches, I imagine, but then it wouldn't be possible to have such a thing in the app catalog.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I meant that if I'm reading emails in the stock app and decide that I'd like to add one to the calendar (or in future to copy it to an email vault), I then have to open EC and find the same email there. It's not too tough, just an extra step that breaks the flow.

However, since no such replacement email app has appeared over the last 11 months, I've pretty much gotten used to the built-in app, especially now that there's a search function and a patch to allow confirmation after swipe-to-delete. I don't know if this is possible, but I would love an ability to replicate within the built-in email app those two specific functions of EC that I mentioned in my last post (add to calendar and store in vault). This could be done through patches, I imagine, but then it wouldn't be possible to have such a thing in the app catalog.
    Well, some of the stuff it already does makes it ineligible for the app catalog. However, making those changes you mentioned would definitely make Palm come after me for charging for it if I just made changes to their app. My hope is that eventually you will use EC for most of your email functions, then go to the stock app only when it comes time to delete .
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdoss View Post
    My hope is that eventually you will use EC for most of your email functions, then go to the stock app only when it comes time to delete .
    I'd be willing to pay for an email app with the added functions I'd find useful, and I guess I could live without deleting in EC. But I'm still not clear on why you're so afraid of adding that feature. In any case, I'm looking forward to future development of EC. I'm still dreaming of a full-featured alternative email app. Would you ponder that idea?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I'd be willing to pay for an email app with the added functions I'd find useful, and I guess I could live without deleting in EC. But I'm still not clear on why you're so afraid of adding that feature. In any case, I'm looking forward to future development of EC. I'm still dreaming of a full-featured alternative email app. Would you ponder that idea?
    The main reason is about the fear of something going wrong. During any testing or release, any number of things could happen. If EC deleted someone's email because of some glitch, that person would be extremely PO'd. So, to make sure I don't do that, it's not found anywhere in the code. In future versions (after I have other features done and whatnot, including the email vault that I think should be ready by Monday ), I may add it. It'll probably debut as simply opening the stock email app to the corresponding email, then allowing you to delete from there.
    Fantastic concept! I have used NEO Pro (Nelson Email Organizer, a companion prgram for Outlook. You should take a look at it) for years now and it has been a godsend for searching and organizing my emails on the PC.

I have just installed EC and will be plugging away at it today... hopefully, I can provide you with some helpful feedback.
    How does one get to this screen:

EDIT: Never mind... I had not run the scan for unread emails... I see it now!
    Last edited by DrHeathenScum; 05/24/2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: ID Ten Tee Error
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to mention it, but for those looking to save Travel iteineraries or other email for an extended period, if you just Flag the email it will be available in the "all Flagged" sevtion of the stock application indefinately. I have used this for travel and other important emails for almost a year - June 6 -2009
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gkouri View Post
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to mention it, but for those looking to save Travel iteineraries or other email for an extended period, if you just Flag the email it will be available in the "all Flagged" sevtion of the stock application indefinately. I have used this for travel and other important emails for almost a year - June 6 -2009
    thanks for the info. We will have to go with this for now until PDK apps are supported, since I need File I/O access to vault messages (at least the way I want to do it).
    I have a few questions/thoughts...

Would it be possible to select which email accounts to scan/gather emails from? I have three email accounts setup and one of them is my "not so important email acct. that gets a lot of notification trash mail and I only check it every few days".

Is there a way, or is it possible, to show emails from any sender, not just those in my contact list? I regularly receive multiple messages from people that are not in my contacts, nor do I want/need to add them. (this is a NEO feature that I live by).

Have you considered using Jason R's API for file I/O? I think it's a part of his File Manager app and available to developers.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I have a few questions/thoughts...

Would it be possible to select which email accounts to scan/gather emails from? I have three email accounts setup and one of them is my "not so important email acct. that gets a lot of notification trash mail and I only check it every few days".

Is there a way, or is it possible, to show emails from any sender, not just those in my contact list? I regularly receive multiple messages from people that are not in my contacts, nor do I want/need to add them. (this is a NEO feature that I live by).

Have you considered using Jason R's API for file I/O? I think it's a part of his File Manager app and available to developers.
    Question 1: Most likely in version 1.1 or 1.2
    Question 2: Yes, just flag the email address(es) you are wanting to to show. They'll show up in the flagged emails section. You can flag two ways:
    1). when viewing a message from that sender, press the flag button, or
    2). from the home screen, press the flag button, which takes you to all flags and manually enter the address.
    Question 3: I didn't know about it. Is it available for SDK apps or PDK? Do you have a link for more info on it?
    couldn't see in Preware?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curumehli View Post
    couldn't see in Preware?
    I just looked, and it's there. It's in the Precentral feed, under Productivity.
    Perhaps it's conflicting with another feed.
    Open Preware and type in "companion", that should pull it up.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast