Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Good to see some significant enhancements being made to the built-in email. I have been waiting for a developer to look at this!

Though the features added so far are good and needed, if you added notification features similar to Watchflag (Google it - a monitoring tool for Win Mobile), I'd be all over it (some other folks too). It is an email monitoring tool that triggers when an email comes in from a particular person, with a particular subject, or a particular importance (high importance versus regular for outlook). You can set what tone/sound file is used and how long the alarm lasts.

Folks who work in IT support need this (if you are on-call, then you need a loud/long-lasting obtrusive notification that will wake you up in the middle of the night) and my company relies on it for our work issued WinMobiles phones (please note we currently have a bulk license for Watchflag). Having this option for WebOS would allow for a key vertical usage of WebOS that currently isn't filled by any existing product.

Until such a product/feature is available for WebOS, it's not an option for me to stop carrying my WinMobile phone (as much as I would really like to).

Anyway, thanks for the good work so far and am hoping you'll consider my request outlined above.

Link for watchflag (if precentral will allow it - think I'm below the reqd number of posts, though):
    Watchflag - provides flexible alerts for email and text messages on your Windows Mobile device.
    email companion does that with the flag feature already I have all dissertation email flagged and it works great
    Well, maybe I missed it, but it doesn't say anything in the feature description here about high importance emails or the ability to give an obtrusive notification (i.e. an alarm) when it is received. Is the description here incorrect?

Please reread my post - I don't need the emails grouped into a folder - I need an obtrusive notification (one that cannot be ignored) when any email arrives that meets the criteria (configurable by subject, sender, or set to high importance).

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Flagged Emails: EC allows you to flag an email address. When an email from that sender arrives, it is set aside in a list so you can quickly access it. The inspiration for this comes from signing up at a website, purchasing a product or sending an email to customer support. I know they are going to send me an email, but don't know when. By flagging the email, it will be set aside for me when it comes in. EC doesn't require a perfect match. Therefore, if you just know the email is coming from (e.g. Bestbuy, but don't know if it'll be noreply@bestbuy.com or support@bestbuy.com), you can just put some part of it (e.g. bestbuy). EC will then flag any message with that word in its address. If you click on a flag, EC will bring up all emails from the corresponding flag, so one can quickly navigate through them.

Keyword Emails: A spinoff of flagging emails by address is flagging emails by keyword. EC will grab any emails with a word or phrase, and collect them. Clicking on a keyword email will grab all emails with the keyword and allow one to navigate through them by clicking next/prev buttons. This works in a similar fashion to the keyword filter with the stock email program with two major differences:
    Oh well I there is a patch that overrides the mute function when a certain number of unread emails is reached. It might be possible to configure something like that http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ad-emails.html

maybe contacting the developer of the patch might get you in the right direction. I am also sure ccdoss can add the function to ec as well. I know he is working on fine tuning it to get ready for app catalog.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I think this is something that will be doable. Right now, the priorities are to get the full version in Preware and App catalog, do auto scanning, possibly auto forwarding/auto reply, and an email vault. So, it'd be a ways away, but I think it's something that can be done.
    Ccdoss - many thanks. Know you've said it's a ways off but, since I've already given it some thought, I'll post those here (and then I'll promise to be patient/quiet!!! ) As far as design/implementation goes, the rule configuration and parsing part of this feature would have to be new, but, for the obtrusive alert part, I'm betting that you could pull liberally from Palm's own Clock app - it has an alert that sounds a tone and must be actively dismissed.

Good luck to you on the continued development of your app!!
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotland View Post
    Ccdoss - many thanks. Know you've said it's a ways off but, since I've already given it some thought, I'll post those here (and then I'll promise to be patient/quiet!!! ) As far as design/implementation goes, the rule configuration and parsing part of this feature would have to be new, but, for the obtrusive alert part, I'm betting that you could pull liberally from Palm's own Clock app - it has an alert that sounds a tone and must be actively dismissed.

Good luck to you on the continued development of your app!!
    Scotland, just to be sure (I've taken a quick peek at the link you sent), you're primarily interested in having a method to be annoyed if an email is from a certain sender, contains a certain word or phrase, or has a certain priority? I guess these should be AND'ed together? Or should they be Or'ed, or both? If that's the case, some of this is done in my keyword scanner and my flagged emails. So, the functionality might not be all that more complex.
    just found this on Preware!
    Downloaded this from Preware this morning, so far seems to have some nice features.

I'm a little unclear on how this interacts with the webOS e-mail app. Do you need to do a lite scan every time you start EC? (That's what I've been doing.)

I have e-mails that continue to show up in EC after I've deleted them from the Pre e-mail app, even after rescanning. Is that supposed to happen?

Any way at all to delete emails from EC?

thanks!
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I believe he initially wanted to make this a companion app to the email app thus the enhancements. I know he is working to get it in the app catalog and then do further refinements. I think attachments and deletion are in the near future.

@jeffcoat I haven't seen that yet, but when you try to open it in EC does it open the email?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Downloaded this from Preware this morning, so far seems to have some nice features.

I'm a little unclear on how this interacts with the webOS e-mail app. Do you need to do a lite scan every time you start EC? (That's what I've been doing.)

I have e-mails that continue to show up in EC after I've deleted them from the Pre e-mail app, even after rescanning. Is that supposed to happen?

Any way at all to delete emails from EC?

thanks!
    You only have to do a scan when you have new messages. Currently, it doesn't autoscan. I'm working on that now and hope to have it in the next update. As for the deleted emails, the reason they still show up in EC is that it actually stores some email information to its own database. This allows it to populate when you bring it up so it can identify flagged and contact emails (thus the need for the scan). I may add a resyncing feature at a later point so that EC won't find deleted anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdoss View Post
    You only have to do a scan when you have new messages. Currently, it doesn't autoscan. I'm working on that now and hope to have it in the next update.
    Well I subscribe to several listservs so I ALWAYS have new messages. So I guess running the "lite" scan when I first start EC is the best thing to do with this release?

How long should running a lite scan take? Seems to take quite a while on my device....

As for the deleted emails, the reason they still show up in EC is that it actually stores some email information to its own database. This allows it to populate when you bring it up so it can identify flagged and contact emails (thus the need for the scan). I may add a resyncing feature at a later point so that EC won't find deleted anymore.
    Any way the ability to delete messages from EC could be added at some point? As indicated above, I get a LOT of e-mails, and it would really help reduce the clutter to be able to get rid of the ones I'm finished with.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    @jeffcoat I haven't seen that yet, but when you try to open it in EC does it open the email?
    Messages I have deleted in the e-mail app can still be opened and read in EC. Can't figure out a way to get rid of them.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Hmm the only glitch I have ran into was an email would show up in EC that was deleted but when I tried to open it in EC it couldn't open.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Messages I have deleted in the e-mail app can still be opened and read in EC. Can't figure out a way to get rid of them.
    Are you using a Sprint Pre or a Pre Plus? The scans can take a while when the phone goes into low memory mode. It can be sped up by closing a few apps, or when the phone has just been booted up. I have a Sprint Pre, so I run into this alot myself. I'm assuming it's less of a problem with the Plus (don't have one so I can't test). What actually takes a long time is when it grabs the message details, which are needed so EC can grab a few elements from the message details, including the actual sender (so it can determine if it's a contact) and the place it is stored on the phone (so it can quickly load the message, instead of grabbing the message details which as mentioned before takes a long time).

The reason you can still see some of the deleted emails is because EC still knows where they are on the phone. When you delete an email, the normal client sometimes removes them from the disk, and sometimes just deletes it from the email client ( I don't know all the details). So, since it's still actually there, EC can still see it. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I hope to address this in subsequent releases.
    @ccdoss

Regular Pre on Sprint
    My device history:

- Jim J.

First, thanks. I found Companion on Preware and it installed after a couple of bumps.

Questions:
    1. I have set a bcc to myself in companion but I don't seem to be getting the copies.
    2. When I do a scan, it seems to only scan one of the two email accounts I have set up. Oddly enough, it is not the default account.

3. Since in installed it by default email account only shows 5 emails at a time. It will say "120 emails, but I only see the last 5.

4. Does it make a difference whether I compose in a window [card?] opened from within Companion or the regular WebOS email app?

Thanks for what looks like a promising app.

Len
    I should note that I haven't set up any tags or keywords, but scans don't bring in any emails from either of my two accounts.

I really only one to select emails from one account anyway. Is there a way to do that?
    (My second account is basically he same, but nothing is ever deleted from there. It is the outgoing server for both accounts.)
    are you doing a full scan? It should take a little while. Are you composing your email from EC or the stock email app? The message has to be initiated in EC for the bcc to be active.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by modemjunkie View Post
    First, thanks. I found Companion on Preware and it installed after a couple of bumps.

Questions:
    1. I have set a bcc to myself in companion but I don't seem to be getting the copies.
    2. When I do a scan, it seems to only scan one of the two email accounts I have set up. Oddly enough, it is not the default account.

3. Since in installed it by default email account only shows 5 emails at a time. It will say "120 emails, but I only see the last 5.

4. Does it make a difference whether I compose in a window [card?] opened from within Companion or the regular WebOS email app?

Thanks for what looks like a promising app.

Len
    I don't know why it'd only see one of the accounts. It should see both. As for the emails, are there more from contacts, or are they non-contact emails? Are you seeing them in the "all emails" section? Perhaps doing a full or medium scan will do the trick. Also, please do a scan of the unread emails and see if it finds all accounts.

As for auto-BCC, you do have to use it in Email Companion to get the copies.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast