Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 75
  1. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #1  
    This is a forum for the pre-release beta app. I will need some beta testers, so anyone who wishes to participate is welcome at this point.

    No more beta testers will be accepted at this point.

    A couple screenshots are attached. Check out the website as well.

    InstanTrax

    There's no help on the site yet for what all the buttons do, so here's a brief rundown:

    When you get the app, you get a public key. You give this key to family, friends, whoever. They go to the site and plug in your key, and are then able to track you. You can simple activate the app at your discretion, or allow people who have your key to "ping" you, which remotely activates your app and it starts uploading. Check out the screenshots for a better idea.

    On the site: I already have a few public keys in there of people helping me beta test. Click on track for the key(s) you wish to track. The buttons are as follows:

    Track: Turns on and off tracking for the specified key.
    Flow: Will watch that user and keep the map centered on his/her location. Only one user may be "flowed" at a time. Either flow or bound can be activated, but not both at the same time.
    Bound (little triangle of dots): Awesome feature - will automatically resize/zoom the map to include all of this user's history. If multiple bounds are set, the map will resize/zoom to include all users histories. Either flow or bound can be activated, but not both at the same time.
    Ping: If the user allows pings, send a signal to their phone requesting their information. When a ping is activated, you will get a countdown below the track button indicating approximately how much time is left before the user's phone activates. How long the ping stays active for depends on what the user has set in his/her preferences.
    Clear: Clears the user's history on the map.

    For beta testers: To install the app:

    Use fileCoaster. Use the File URL Download feature. Enter the URL provided via PM. Download and install.

    The app will alert you when you open it if there is a newer version available. Check often, because at this point updates are made every few hours. Updating the app is as simple as following the install procedure again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by xluryan; 05/06/2010 at 05:01 PM.

  2. #2  
    What kind of app is this?
  3. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by crod76 View Post
    What kind of app is this?
    First post edited to contain description.

  4. #4  
    This looks very promising. My interest in an app like this is simply for phone recovery. I want something that reports my phone's location on demand, or at regular and reasonably short intervals. Will this service be suitable for that?

    1) Will the app automatically start with the phone?
    2) Will I be able to go to the website and make config changes to my phone?
    3) Any idea what sort of pricing you're considering?
  5. #5  
    When I open my browser I see there are already entries filled out. I'm able to track other people. Is this a site bug?
  6. kushanj1's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #6  
    i would also like to test this app, sounds great
  7. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    This looks very promising. My interest in an app like this is simply for phone recovery. I want something that reports my phone's location on demand, or at regular and reasonably short intervals. Will this service be suitable for that?

    1) Will the app automatically start with the phone?
    2) Will I be able to go to the website and make config changes to my phone?
    3) Any idea what sort of pricing you're considering?
    This will be more than suitable for those requirements. Intervals between 0 and 60 seconds, activated remotely if you wish.

    1) Yes.
    2) Eventually.
    3) $12/year.

    Quote Originally Posted by isotope View Post
    When I open my browser I see there are already entries filled out. I'm able to track other people. Is this a site bug?
    I did this during the beta stage so people could see how it works. Those people are the beta testers. Once we go live, there will not be any keys pre-loaded. You'll have to type in the keys that others have given you.

    Quote Originally Posted by kushanj1 View Post
    i would also like to test this app, sounds great
    PM sent.
    Last edited by xluryan; 05/06/2010 at 05:00 PM.

  8. #8  
    My phone is showing that uploads are occurring but the website shows no user uploads.
  9. #9  
    I'm assuming I have to leave the app open? Each time I close and reopen it, I have to re-enable tracking, is that right?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    There's no help on the site yet for what all the buttons do, so here's a brief rundown ... You can simple activate the app at your discretion, or allow people who have your key to "ping" you, which remotely activates your app and it starts uploading. Check out the screenshots for a better idea.
    Purely from an inquisitive standpoint, if the user has not started the app, how can your server "ping" the phone and activate the upload? Is there a background service which notifies you of dynamic IP changes, and then you send a UDP datagram which the device receives for instructions?

    In the second screenshot (preferences), can you explain what the "ping duration" and "ping cooldown period" represent?

    And if the update interval is at most 60 seconds, do you have any tests yet on how this impacts battery life (e.g., by using something like Battery Monitor to measure differences).

    Is this intended as more of a remote activate on demand for short periods instead of constant tracking? I can see that being valuable for things like device recovery where frequent updates could be helpful -- provided you don't wear out the battery and get no uploads at all too soon.

    It may also be helpful in a real-time "family locator" scenario. But sometimes you care more about logging a path across a long duration where a longer period between updates may impact the battery less.

    Or perhaps not. That goes back to the battery question.
  11. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles From Nowhere View Post
    My phone is showing that uploads are occurring but the website shows no user uploads.
    I suspect this may be a username issue. What color does the uploading icon on the app turn after green?

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles From Nowhere View Post
    I'm assuming I have to leave the app open? Each time I close and reopen it, I have to re-enable tracking, is that right?
    Leave it open when you want to track. When it's closed, it only listens for pings (if you have them allowed).

    Quote Originally Posted by PreOwned View Post
    Purely from an inquisitive standpoint, if the user has not started the app, how can your server "ping" the phone and activate the upload? Is there a background service which notifies you of dynamic IP changes, and then you send a UDP datagram which the device receives for instructions?

    In the second screenshot (preferences), can you explain what the "ping duration" and "ping cooldown period" represent?

    And if the update interval is at most 60 seconds, do you have any tests yet on how this impacts battery life (e.g., by using something like Battery Monitor to measure differences).

    Is this intended as more of a remote activate on demand for short periods instead of constant tracking? I can see that being valuable for things like device recovery where frequent updates could be helpful -- provided you don't wear out the battery and get no uploads at all too soon.

    It may also be helpful in a real-time "family locator" scenario. But sometimes you care more about logging a path across a long duration where a longer period between updates may impact the battery less.

    Or perhaps not. That goes back to the battery question.
    What's actually happening is the phone is checking the server every 10 minutes or so to see if someone has requested a ping. This only occurs, of course, if the app is set to allow pinging.

    Battery seems take a small hit. I haven't really had enough testing done yet to really see what the effects are with all the different settings. Honestly, if the app is closed and you're not getting pinged 24/7, you probably wouldn't even notice a difference. But if you get pinged once an hour for 30 minutes at a time, you might notice that.

    The app preferences are explained in the help menu. If those descriptions aren't good enough, let me know and I'll update them
    Last edited by xluryan; 05/07/2010 at 12:03 AM.

  12. #12  
    I'd like to test, please. {Jonathan}
  13. #13  
    It was a username issue on my end. It's all good now...looks promising as long as Palm doesn't muck it up with an update.
  14. #14  
    Okay, I'll ask it. Will this app have the same drop off support and issues that "Where Is My Pre?" had?

    I mean, you seemed to support the app extremely well at first but then it appeared that the capabilities were limited and your hands were tied. I liked the app at first and thought it was supported real well. Then at some point, the support stopped. Also, I would get cell phone tower locations and couldn't get a fix all the time. I know others had issues as well. Then it seemed like you dropped off the map (no pun intended) and completely stopped support it altogether. Now I guess it has been confirmed that "Where Is My Pre?" is dead by the existence of this app?

    If anyone doesn't know what I am talking about, check out this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...re-my-pre.html
  15. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    I'd like to test, please. {Jonathan}
    Right now the rest of the beta testers need to be map people. Use the site and provide feedback about its usability and issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles From Nowhere View Post
    It was a username issue on my end. It's all good now...looks promising as long as Palm doesn't muck it up with an update.
    Amen.

    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Okay, I'll ask it. Will this app have the same drop off support and issues that "Where Is My Pre?" had?

    I mean, you seemed to support the app extremely well at first but then it appeared that the capabilities were limited and your hands were tied. I liked the app at first and thought it was supported real well. Then at some point, the support stopped. Also, I would get cell phone tower locations and couldn't get a fix all the time. I know others had issues as well. Then it seemed like you dropped off the map (no pun intended) and completely stopped support it altogether. Now I guess it has been confirmed that "Where Is My Pre?" is dead by the existence of this app?

    If anyone doesn't know what I am talking about, check out this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...re-my-pre.html
    The capabilities were very limited for what WIMP wanted to do. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. And WIMP is far from dead. I plan to borrow some of the technologies I've used in this app and use them to fix WIMP.

    One of the main problems with WIMP right now is that you only get 60 seconds to get a GPS fix AND upload it to the server. That's a lot to ask in some scenarios. The solution may have to be a dashboard scene ONLY if it looks like it's going to take more than 60 seconds.

    These are two entirely different applications, conceived with different purposes in mind. I believe this will suit some people more than WIMP, and WIMP would suit others more than this. Perhaps I'm wrong?

  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    The capabilities were very limited for what WIMP wanted to do. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. And WIMP is far from dead. I plan to borrow some of the technologies I've used in this app and use them to fix WIMP. ...

    These are two entirely different applications, conceived with different purposes in mind. I believe this will suit some people more than WIMP, and WIMP would suit others more than this. Perhaps I'm wrong?
    I didn't realize until these posts it is the same developer as WIMP, where I just recently started a trial.

    Yes, as I get to understand these two apps more I see them as targeting two different markets. So far, this looks promising for those looking only for real-time current data such as:

    - lost device recovery
    - where is a family member/employee *right now*

    The flow and bound modes are kinda neat, when a user is moving.

    WIMP may be more appropriate for historical tracking, such as did a router driver employee deviate from the planed schedule. Or did a kid detour on the way home from school, etc.

    That said, there is certainly overlap. Even if a person most often wants the historical perspective of WIMP, if / when a device is lost you most certainly also want the best device recovery options available including remote activation and control over all durations.

    I see both products as in their early stages with plenty of room for feature enhancements.
  17. #17  
    Is it possible to set up a banner alert when a ping is requested?
  18. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles From Nowhere View Post
    Is it possible to set up a banner alert when a ping is requested?
    As in a banner letting you say yes or no, or just a banner that disappears in 5 seconds alerting you that you been pinged?

  19. lasercomp's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #19  
    I am currently using and paying for Celstalker. I would like to try this app to see which is better and also provide testing results. How can I become a tester? Thank you
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    As in a banner letting you say yes or no, or just a banner that disappears in 5 seconds alerting you that you been pinged?
    Just a banner letting you know that you've been pinged. No need to allow at that point since you've already allowed them in your settings.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions