Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    New feature...

As Requested by Miles, now when you start tracking a user, his/her icon will show up to the left of the buttons. Clicking this icon will change their color.

Zoso, I should have the KML feature done by tonight

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    New feature...

As requested by Zoso and many others, you can now export KML files from a users history. Just click the down arrow on their key and a new window should popup and start a file download.

Let me know how this works for you all

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    New feature...

As requested by Zoso and many others, you can now export KML files from a users history. Just click the down arrow on their key and a new window should popup and start a file download.

Let me know how this works for you all
    Getting ready to ride on the motorcycle, but my question is this:... how do I save that kml file... and will my flow be saved on the website and if so, for how long? Just curious if I am able to save the track after I get home from the ride, or someone has to be actively tracking me via the website in order to grab the KML
    Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    you can now export KML files from a users history... Let me know how this works for you all
    First, the xmlns reference in the file is not valid. Did you mean perhaps to specify Index of /kml/2.2.0 instead?

Second, I think each Point tag needs a time stamp in addition to the coordinates tag. I am not familiar with the KML schema but certainly there must be some consideration for time stamps?

Third, is the last value in the coordinates tag supposed to be the elevation? In the examples I looked at, they were all zero. In normal usage most people may not care, but if doing something like hiking in the mountains it could be a welcome addition.

Last, does this always just provide a file based on the time frame from when you clicked Track until you do the download?

What I would like to be able to do is see more historical stuff. But that may be more suited to WIMP than InstanTrax. Are there any plans to enhance WIMP to provide a historical data export?
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
    Getting ready to ride on the motorcycle, but my question is this:... how do I save that kml file... and will my flow be saved on the website and if so, for how long? Just curious if I am able to save the track after I get home from the ride, or someone has to be actively tracking me via the website in order to grab the KML
    What you'll need to do is have a browser open and tracking you before you ride. While you're riding, turn tracking to ON. When you're done with your ride, turn tracking back OFF.

When you get home, go to the browser that you had open and click the down arrow on your key. This will download the KML file.

I'm going to work on a way to record directly from the app...

Quote Originally Posted by PreOwned View Post
    First, the xmlns reference in the file is not valid. Did you mean perhaps to specify Index of /kml/2.2.0 instead?

Second, I think each Point tag needs a time stamp in addition to the coordinates tag. I am not familiar with the KML schema but certainly there must be some consideration for time stamps?

Third, is the last value in the coordinates tag supposed to be the elevation? In the examples I looked at, they were all zero. In normal usage most people may not care, but if doing something like hiking in the mountains it could be a welcome addition.

Last, does this always just provide a file based on the time frame from when you clicked Track until you do the download?

What I would like to be able to do is see more historical stuff. But that may be more suited to WIMP than InstanTrax. Are there any plans to enhance WIMP to provide a historical data export?
    Yes, the URL is invalid, but using the correct one confuses Google Earth for some reason... ?

Working on the timestamp. That's going to need a minor improvement on the site so I'm getting that going, then we'll have timestamps, speed information, etc. Same goes for elevation, but that will also require an update to the app.

And yes, this is only for while you're actively tracking on the site. For now at least. I may eventually have a "Record KML" option in the app.

This got me thinking... I could potentially save all location uploads on the server until you export your KML (which would then clear them), but I am not going to set the app to perform automatic period uploads. This is more what WIMP is used for. I would like to enhance WIMP with historical data exports, but InstanTrax is higher priority at the moment.

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Ok, so here is what happened on my test yesterday. I was running an app called MapTool in addition to this one. I left browser open to the tracking page on instatrax while I rode. When I got home, I tried to download the KML, but was unsuccessful. There was an error message, and I wrote it down, but I am at work this morning... I will get it for you later today.

A wish list for this app... Maptool does everthing that I want it to do except the live tracking. You might look at this app and see how it works...

Maptool does not rely on an active data connection, it basically just records the needed records (for a gpx file) to a text file... then you send the text file as an email, copy and past, rename to gpx, and import to google maps. I understand that in order to live track, a data connection will be necessary... but if you can find a way to live track when possible, or just offline track, or some kind of mixture between both, you would have an app that no one has right now.

What I saw on the live tracking was cool, Instatrax worked very well and my friends that didn't ride, said the program even showed me walking around inside a wal-mart... like I needed them to see that-LOL.

So, a way to store the track on the Pre, an offline mode, or a mixture of offline when there is not a data connection, and tracking when there is.... that is what I would love to see... then I could just run one app...but until then, I will run both Maptool, and Instatrax....
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
    Ok, so here is what happened on my test yesterday. I was running an app called MapTool in addition to this one. I left browser open to the tracking page on instatrax while I rode. When I got home, I tried to download the KML, but was unsuccessful. There was an error message, and I wrote it down, but I am at work this morning... I will get it for you later today.

A wish list for this app... Maptool does everthing that I want it to do except the live tracking. You might look at this app and see how it works...

Maptool does not rely on an active data connection, it basically just records the needed records (for a gpx file) to a text file... then you send the text file as an email, copy and past, rename to gpx, and import to google maps. I understand that in order to live track, a data connection will be necessary... but if you can find a way to live track when possible, or just offline track, or some kind of mixture between both, you would have an app that no one has right now.

What I saw on the live tracking was cool, Instatrax worked very well and my friends that didn't ride, said the program even showed me walking around inside a wal-mart... like I needed them to see that-LOL.

So, a way to store the track on the Pre, an offline mode, or a mixture of offline when there is not a data connection, and tracking when there is.... that is what I would love to see... then I could just run one app...but until then, I will run both Maptool, and Instatrax....
    This should be ready tonight... Your app will let you know when an update is ready, and I'll post on this thread as well

I'd very much like to test this. I'm leaving town tomorrow and would like a few people to be able to check my location on the trip.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Just found a bug that's going to delay this next release. Should have something ready by tomorrow midday.

First impressions: very cool. Works as expected, no big glitches. Thanks! One question - wouldn't it decrease the battery drain if we could increase the upload interval to something higher? It would also be nice to just be able to manually update the location and/or only accept pings and turn off the scheduled updates.

Finally, it's telling me I'm not accepting pings, even though it's enabled. Someone may have already mentioned that.
    Last edited by dirtygreek; 05/27/2010 at 08:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    First impressions: very cool. Works as expected, no big glitches. Thanks! One question - wouldn't it decrease the battery drain if we could increase the upload interval to something higher? It would also be nice to just be able to manually update the location and/or only accept pings and turn off the scheduled updates.

Finally, it's telling me I'm not accepting pings, even though it's enabled. Someone may have already mentioned that.
    When tracking actively with the app open, the GPS device remains active in between pings. This is to improve accuracy and consistency. So increasing the amount of time between uploads will help a little, but not much. Believe me, you don't want to only turn the GPS device ON right before an upload if you're trying to record a series of points.

Taking pings in the background shouldn't consume that much battery unless you've allowed users to practically keep your phone pinging endlessly.

A couple notes about your first paragraph: There are no scheduled updates. You are either tracking or not when the app is open. And when the app is closed, you're not tracking, you're only listening for pings (if you've got it allowed).

To do a manual upload you can just switch tracking ON, wait for the upload icon to flash green back to gray, and then turn tracking OFF.

Also, I put your key into InstanTrax and pinged you. Worked fine for me. Are you still experiencing this issue?

Pinging started working I think, though so far I always get the message that the device is in cooldown mode. By scheduled updates, I meant the update interval, but I guess like you said it's not like you're actively asking the gps to get a fix every x seconds, you're just reporting the coordinates the gps is already keeping track of. Makes sense.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    Pinging started working I think, though so far I always get the message that the device is in cooldown mode. By scheduled updates, I meant the update interval, but I guess like you said it's not like you're actively asking the gps to get a fix every x seconds, you're just reporting the coordinates the gps is already keeping track of. Makes sense.
    I will add, that options you set only take effect about 10 seconds after you close the app. Your cooldown period is how long users must wait before pinging you again. You can decrease this to as low as 10 minutes if you wish.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    New version released!

To upgrade you must delete the app off your phone first, then follow the procedure outlined in the first post.

Fixes:
    • faster response to pings
    • optimized handling of settings for performance and battery life
    • increased powerd failsafe robustness

New Features:
    • in-app KML logging - no data connection required

Notes:

The KML logging is a new feature, and it works pretty slick too. I like what Zoso said about MapTool, but I don't like that a user has to perform that many extra steps to get a simple KML export. In this new release of InstanTrax, once you're done logging and turn tracking off, an email is automatically sent to you (email address specified in the new preferences tab) with the KML file attached. Easy as can be!

There may or may not still be a bug which causes you to lose all your application settings. I believe I've fixed this bug, but can't say for sure 100%. The symptoms are as follows:

• if you open the app to find a blank screen
    • if you open the preferences page to find a blank screen
    • if the app hangs when opening and never loads

If you experience this, let me know ASAP!
    Last edited by xluryan; 05/27/2010 at 12:51 PM.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    There is definitely still a bug in 0.9.66. 0.9.7 will be released tonight.

Do not update to 0.9.66! And if you already have, do not use the KML features!

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Just wanted to give everyone an update...

Seems like storing the KML data in a cookie is not working so great. That's what causing the crashing. I'm switching over to storing the KML data in an HTML5 DB. Should be ready soon!

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thanks X!!!

I was out of town for a family event ( a very sad event) and I was not checking this thread, nor was I really tracking anything... But I did see pings go through when I was in CA. I have not installed the new version, but I will today and let you know how it is workin...

Yes, if you could make the damn export of a GPX file easier than that other app, I could almost kiss ya.... (ALMOST... don't get your hopes up)... anyway thanks for working on this and listening to the suggestions as they are just that, just ideas on what i want from the app... but it is your app, so you do what you want on it...it seems like we are on the same page though ...
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I would love to be a beta tester! I train in long distance Triathlons which would make me a great candidate for testing.
    just curious how I would use this differently than Google Latitude? I must have missed something, so I'd appreciate a quick explanation. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    has any vzw user (both with and without the gps patch) been a part of the beta test
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast