Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles From Nowhere View Post
    Just a banner letting you know that you've been pinged. No need to allow at that point since you've already allowed them in your settings.
    Definitely. This will be included as an option in the next release.

After completing a run down to the bottom of Ontario and putting the program to the test, I have to report that it passed with flying colors! Every scenario I ran the program under reported my location with almost pinpoint accuracy even with the high accuracy tab off. The only issue I did notice, which would not be an issue for me, was that the system resources went off the chart when I moved the update interval slider over to instant. The handles in jsTop shot from 6 at 5 second intervals to upwards of 70-75 at instant intervals which completely makes sense since the GPS is in constant use at that point. Other than that, I have to play Siskel and Ebert and give this one two enthusiastic thumbs up!
    I also downloaded the lastest version of the phone interface and I see the new features but it's still telling me a new version is available. Do I have to uninstall the original one first?
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    After completing a run down to the bottom of Ontario and putting the program to the test, I have to report that it passed with flying colors! Every scenario I ran the program under reported my location with almost pinpoint accuracy even with the high accuracy tab off. The only issue I did notice, which would not be an issue for me, was that the system resources went off the chart when I moved the update interval slider over to instant. The handles in jsTop shot from 6 at 5 second intervals to upwards of 70-75 at instant intervals which completely makes sense since the GPS is in constant use at that point. Other than that, I have to play Siskel and Ebert and give this one two enthusiastic thumbs up!
    Well that's great news! And yes, the instant updates will hurt the battery. I'd suggest that 5s intervals are the fastest you choose, but I figured I'd at least give people the option.

I also downloaded the lastest version of the phone interface and I see the new features but it's still telling me a new version is available. Do I have to uninstall the original one first?
    0.9.64 will fix this. Should be ready soon... give it about 10 minutes

Edit: ready now

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I have been very harsh to criticize you on your other app, for understandable reasons. There were some things said that made me think that this app is where you were going to take WIMP. And I paid for a year of WIMP under that impression. This is the program that I wanted to have for my motorcycle rides, etc. So, my question to you is this:

If and when you open this for some of us WIMP people for beta testing, whatever, how do we know that you will not do the same as WIMP and sorta abandon another project that we have given you support on?

This program looks a lot (at least from what I have read) like a program I used on my blackberry called "instamapper" that worked very well for me.

I am not meaning to come off as an ***, and I would love to help with the testing of this app, but before I shell out more cash, I would like to know that you are going to support the app. Granted, the amount of cash was not substantial, but I could have gotten more bang for my buck by going to the streetcorner and donating to the local homeless guy...
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
    I have been very harsh to criticize you on your other app, for understandable reasons. There were some things said that made me think that this app is where you were going to take WIMP. And I paid for a year of WIMP under that impression. This is the program that I wanted to have for my motorcycle rides, etc. So, my question to you is this:

If and when you open this for some of us WIMP people for beta testing, whatever, how do we know that you will not do the same as WIMP and sorta abandon another project that we have given you support on?

This program looks a lot (at least from what I have read) like a program I used on my blackberry called "instamapper" that worked very well for me.

I am not meaning to come off as an ***, and I would love to help with the testing of this app, but before I shell out more cash, I would like to know that you are going to support the app. Granted, the amount of cash was not substantial, but I could have gotten more bang for my buck by going to the streetcorner and donating to the local homeless guy...
    I completely understand the criticism. I think the problem was that I was getting about 50 emails a day and that was getting pretty hard to keep up with. And I think a lot of those emails were due to two things:

1. The fact that there were some features that didn't quite work like people expected with WIMP.
    2. There were some features just missing from WIMP.

All I can say, is that I've been pouring all of my free time into this project for one reason alone: This project is going to deliver. It's going to do everything it should out of the box, and it's going to just work.

I did A TON of testing before I even started letting beta testers get in here. Now with the beta testers in here, it seems like everything is going relatively smoothly.

I also plan to do a series of YouTube video tutorials and embed them in the website, just to explain all of the features and avoid users not understanding what's what.

P.S. I sent you a PM.

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    X--

Thanks for the reply. I also sent you a PM back but for some reason my "sent items" are not showing so I am unsure if it actually sent... anyway, now that you have explained this, it makes complete sense to me... I think those of us that paid for WIMP deserved to hear that explanation and I, for one, am satisfied with it. Also, just so everyone knows, X did send me a PM back over a week ago that I did not see... so he tried to reach out at some point without being prodded, but since I am not used to getting PM's here, I did not see it...

Thank you X for your hard work and your explanation... appreciate it...!!!
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    granted, I just got this running and all I am doing is sitting in my office, but right off the bat, I would like to throw something out there...really 2 things.

You told me you are looking to export tracks (KML) so that takes care of one request that I would be able to save my track... but here is something that may be a bit of a challenge to you...

Anyway that you can make do a "mobile" website in addition to the computer website? I know some of the people that are going to use this as a family tracker would like to be able to use their mobile device to take a look at it.. Just a thought!
    Last edited by Zoso; 05/10/2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added info
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    granted, I just got this running and all I am doing is sitting in my office, but right off the bat, I would like to throw something out there...really 2 things.

You told me you are looking to export tracks (KML) so that takes care of one request that I would be able to save my track... but here is something that may be a bit of a challenge to you...

Anyway that you can make do a "mobile" website in addition to the computer website? I know some of the people that are going to use this as a family tracker would like to be able to use their mobile device to take a look at it.. Just a thought!
    Already underway... I know a couple guys that can't view the site at work since their companies block "uncategorized sites". So yeah, a mobile version is coming up

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Can the beta testers comment on battery drain? Send me a PM if you wish to remain anonymous, otherwise please post in the thread so we can discuss.

I apologize, that is one thing I never tested because I always have my phone plugged into power when in my truck since I also listen to podcasts and Accuradio. As I said before, however, the only major hit on the battery I noticed before was when update intervals were set at instant. This setting would probably be feasible only in a situation when the phone can be plugged into power. As far as normal use, with the program running and tracking and uploading at 60 seconds, I can let you know tomorrow how long it takes to drain a stock battery without a power source.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    in 1 hour 40 min, I went from 100 percent to 68 percent battery. I am updating every 30 seconds. No other apps running. I am using the 800 uberkernal, but my settings through "Govnah" is 500MHz. (no overclocking).
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I apologize, that is one thing I never tested because I always have my phone plugged into power when in my truck since I also listen to podcasts and Accuradio. As I said before, however, the only major hit on the battery I noticed before was when update intervals were set at instant. This setting would probably be feasible only in a situation when the phone can be plugged into power. As far as normal use, with the program running and tracking and uploading at 60 seconds, I can let you know tomorrow how long it takes to drain a stock battery without a power source.
    That would be awesome, thanks

in 1 hour 40 min, I went from 100 percent to 68 percent battery. I am updating every 30 seconds. No other apps running. I am using the 800 uberkernal, but my settings through "Govnah" is 500MHz. (no overclocking).
    I would imagine that's about what you'd get using Google Maps or Sprint Nav (or similar) for the same amount of time unplugged. And this is exactly what the ping duration was designed for: to help combat excessive battery drain. Also, the ping cooldown help prevent too many pings occurring in short time frames.

I would assume that most of the time if you have tracking ON, you'll have a charger nearby. But in the event that you don't, by Zoso's numbers, I'd have to say you could probably track about 5 hours or so nonstop.

Here's my report. I have 13 patches, none of them for overclocking so I'm running at stock speed. With the program running, the screen off and uploading in 60 second intervals, my battery drain was close to 22 percent per hour which is very close to Zoso's findings as well. It would probably be safe to say that you're look at a 20-25% per hour drain as the program stands now.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I think in order to do this battery drain test right, we should test how much drain comes from normal GPS programs, such as SprintNav, or Google Maps or whatever... what do you guys think?
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I think in order to do this battery drain test right, we should test how much drain comes from normal GPS programs, such as SprintNav, or Google Maps or whatever... what do you guys think?
    It'd be awesome to compare all 3 side-by-side. I don't think anyone's done that test before...

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    not scientific, but I see no difference in the amount of time that I am able to run any of the three as far as battery drain. As long as the screen is not on, they are all 3 very similar, obviously, if the screen is on, (usually with sprint NAV), the phone drains faster...

A couple of requests from family that are using the website. Instead of having to put in a key every time, is there a way to make it so there is a link that will pull up my personalized map instead? I would like to still be able to change the key and the link, but just make it easier for people to see the track.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    not scientific, but I see no difference in the amount of time that I am able to run any of the three as far as battery drain. As long as the screen is not on, they are all 3 very similar, obviously, if the screen is on, (usually with sprint NAV), the phone drains faster...

A couple of requests from family that are using the website. Instead of having to put in a key every time, is there a way to make it so there is a link that will pull up my personalized map instead? I would like to still be able to change the key and the link, but just make it easier for people to see the track.
    Thanks for the testing info. And yes, there will be a direct link to auto-populate your key when we're out of beta. The only safe way I see to do this would require that if you change your key, you must provide everyone a new link.

I've had another family member request for the web interface. I'm not sure if and how this could be implemented but could there be a way for the user to change the color of the dot? This family member is having a hard time seeing my blue dot amid all the blue water masses.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I've had another family member request for the web interface. I'm not sure if and how this could be implemented but could there be a way for the user to change the color of the dot? This family member is having a hard time seeing my blue dot amid all the blue water masses.
    Yeah sure thing

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast