Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #101  
    I have discovered a critical bug in beta2. If the hand ends while the roll card animation is running, that player will get the roll card at the start of the next hand. I will fix this immediately and update the package in Preware as soon as possible.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
  2.    #102  
    I've posted an updated package on Preware that fixes the bug. It should be pushed out shortly.

I'll have to look into the issue with the Pre 2/webOS 2.0. I will relax the dead zones some more. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

zParticle, I like the fuel truck as well. Unfortunately, it was hard for some to distinguish from the fire truck. Maybe I can come up with something else.

beta3 is already well underway. I have implemented drag-and-drop, and am currently working on animated plays.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
  3.    #103  
    The third beta is here! The full changelog:

* Drag-and-drop. If you don't use it, game play is exactly the same.
    * Animations for the following actions. Animations can be disabled in the menu.
    -Making a play
    -Discarding
    -Card "bounced" due to coup fourre
    -Cards dropped outside of a target
    * Smoother animation for remedies spawned from Right-of-Way safety.
    * All dead zones have been eliminated.
    * Fuzzy discard detection, especially when dragging.
    * Artificial intelligence when computer decides whether to extend trip.
    * End support for webOS versions earlier than 1.4.5.
    * Fix broken black "X"
    * Reduced package size by around 150 KiB.
    * Reduced memory usage.
    * Miscellaneous bug fixes.

As stated above, beta3 requires webOS 1.4.5 or higher. I plan to take advantage of some webOS features that don't work on earlier webOS versions.

Download the package from this post, or wait for it to show up in Preware.

Direct link to beta3 IPK
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Whoa, this is a huge upgrade! I was just thinking about mentioning the occasional bad extend trip choice and discard sensitivity, and here you've already addressed both. Drag and drop and the new animations are sweet—they really add to the game's immersiveness (if I'm allowed to use the term for a card game!) Seems to be more responsive, too. Great work!
    very nice work. I was reluctant to download this because I thougt it would be an early alpha kind of thing, but it's like a full featured game!
    I doubt that this is the case, but in all the rounds I played the computer seemed to immediately have *all* the remedies to cards I played *one* turn after I played them, whereas I would be stuck for literally the entire game without a remedy. I guess I was just unlucky, but it sure did seem like more than a coincidence.
    great game though... love thegraphics. My only suggestion would be a 2player mode for those long car rides.
  6.    #106  
    Thanks for the comments. innocentbystander, I can assure you that the computer does not cheat. I've gone out of my way to make the game 100% fair. I know how it feels though when the computer always seems to be one step ahead.

Having two players on one device would not be difficult at all. I don't know how much fun it would be to constantly pass it back-and-forth, though.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I'd love head to head over wifi connection. I'm in the process of working on a series of games that'll work this way. I was thinking of doing a mille borne game (as mentioned before) but I'd gladly donate the use of my game server and a library to access the game server and initate connections. It'll be a long time before anything really becomes of all this, but let me know if you'd be interested. In the mean time I'd also be interested in a "play and pass" option

- Phil -
    not sure if this is a bug or just a rule, but if you've had a hazard on you for a few turns and then get dealt a safety and play it, it doesn't get counted as a coup fourré.
    As far as I am informed a coup fourré must be played as soon as the hazard is played. Playing the safety later on gives you the safety, however no bonus points or instant roll.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    not sure if this is a bug or just a rule, but if you've had a hazard on you for a few turns and then get dealt a safety and play it, it doesn't get counted as a coup fourré.
    That's a rule of the game. You only get a coup bonus when you play immediately on a hazard. It makes sense. Why should there be a bonus for regular play? That's part of the strategy & risk of holding safeties. Playing them at need for the bonus or risk the other player winning before you play it.
  11.    #111  
    BoraWare, I do plan to include network play at some point. Thanks for your offer; I'll keep it in mind for when the time comes.

SDL Mille has a dirty little secret: there's no artificial intelligence. In beta3, I added AI for deciding trip extensions, but there's still none for making plays. I have been working hard on AI since beta3 came out, and the next release should bring computer moves that are much more logical.

I have a few other features I'll be working on as well, including more animations. I expect the release to happen sometime in February. The earlier the better, but as always it will depend on how much time I have.

Thanks to all of you for testing and providing feedback. You have made this game what it is today. Without your support and encouragement, SDL Mille is nothing. Again, thank you.
  12.    #112  
    I just identified and 'fixed' an old bug. Apparently, if a hazard tops your battle pile and you have played the corresponding safety, you will not be allowed to play an end-of-limit. This bug affects versions alpha1 all the way through beta1. It does not affect beta2+ because hazards automatically turn into a remedy when the corresponding safety is played.

In the 6 months or so that this bug existed, I don't recall experiencing it even once. I only ran into it today by accident. Anyways, if you ever got rejected trying to remedy a speed limit, now you know why.
    Pardon my previous post, I was having keyboard problems.

What I was gonna say is that I'm interested in how your AI would play. One of the features in my (yet unported) app is an aggressive AI, and I would be very interested in seeing our AIs fight it out.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    When you add AI, will you have multiple levels of difficulty like the old Rally 1000? It had easy=plays stupid, medium=plays at normal level. Hard=plays like a fiend.

I think I already asked this, but don't remember. I this eventually going to be a paid App Catalog app or is it staying free?

One piece of feedback. For some reason, to me, the fireworks screen when human wins doesn't look right. It doesn't seem to fit the graphical theme of the rest of the app. No biggie and "for some reason" means I really don't know why.

And on the theme of graphics, the redone card design and putting a rol in place after safeties is great! Really helps the play.
  15.    #115  
    rsanchez1, the code for the AI is in Game.cpp in the method ComputerSmartMove(). If you want to look over the code, it's all in the git repository. In the broad strokes, each of the computer's cards is assigned a weight based on around 50 criteria. The computer then plays the card with the highest weight, or discards the one with the lowest weight if there are no valid plays.

I'm sure I'll be making some tweaks and fixes to the AI, but it shouldn't change significantly from what's there now. I'd be happy to send you a preview build if you want to see it in action. Given the different code bases, I doubt we'd be able to play our AI's against each other, but I do look forward to comparing them.

govotsos, there will be an 'easy' option. I can't promise that it will be ready in time for the next release, though. I figure the "dumb" computer that's out there now is about equivalent to medium difficulty.

As it stands now, H/Palm still requires a PayPal account in order to release apps through the catalog. If that ever changes, I will consider publishing in the catalog at a reasonable price point. However, SDL Mille will always be available via Preware for free no matter what.

I agree with you on the fireworks graphic. I don't have any great ideas right now, but something will be done to improve the celebration screen.
    Maybe something race themed for the graphic? Checkered flag waving? Trophy? Victory lap? I don't know, just oddball ideas off the top of my leaky head.
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    I'm sure I'll be making some tweaks and fixes to the AI, but it shouldn't change significantly from what's there now. I'd be happy to send you a preview build if you want to see it in action. Given the different code bases, I doubt we'd be able to play our AI's against each other, but I do look forward to comparing them.
    It would definitely require translating one of our AIs, but I would look forward to the challenge. Of course, I would first have to actually port the thing...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  18.    #118  
    Well beta4 is getting there. I think I can still get it out by the end of the month.

I took advantage of the most recent Pixi clearance, so I'll be able to test on the Pixi personally.

Veer support shouldn't be a problem. It has the exact same resolution as the Pixi, although the actual screen size is ever so slightly smaller. The Pre3 will have a WVGA screen, which is already supported by SDL Mille since my Evo has the same res. The TouchPad... well, I'll see what I can do.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I spend more time playing this app more than any I have. I've loaded it on the Pre 2, and notice that the screen is far more touchy than on the pre +, meaning I have to be far more deliberate when I choose a card, and want to play or discard it. I don't know if that's just this screen, or the new OS or what, but I thought I'd mention it. Keep up the good work - I'm still loving it.
    I noticed some similar issues on the Pre 2. When you tap on a card, you get the visual splash, the card "lifts" then returns to position, and the name of the card appears above your hand but the card is not selected. You have to play with it to get it selected. Same thing if you are discarding it - you have to tap several times on the discard pile to have it discard.

After a card is played, frequently the replacement card does not appear in it's place. It's there and apparently selected because if you tap on the empty space and it's a playable card, it plays. If you tap the cards around it, it eventually appears. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to which card to press to make the "missing" card appear. Sometimes it seems to happen more often when you quickly double tap on a card to play. If you tap, wait, tap again, it is more likely to play correctly and have the replacement card appear.