08/13/2010, 04:00 PM
Glad to hear from you again, michael05! Thanks for your encouragement.
I know how frustrating it is to accidentally perform the wrong action. With every clone I've ever played, there have been times that I've wished for an 'undo' feature. The beta, as I've said earlier, is much faster at rendering the graphics than before. I will be interested to see if the quicker visual feedback helps you catch such a mistake before it's made. There is also a 'cancel' button, which I'll describe more in a minute, that may help as well. Finally, the horizontal (left-to-right) dead zone has been reduced, which should greatly reduce the number of unregistered clicks.
While I'm not diametrically opposed to drag-and-drop, I have experienced plenty of frustrations with it. There were dozens of instances in MilleCE where I would move so fast that the stylus stopped registering, and I ended up dropping a card in the wrong place. On the Pre, with its capacitive screen, this might not be as large an issue. I do still have a bitter taste in my mouth, though.
I do have plans to revamp the tutorial before releasing the first beta.
For anyone interested in testing the latest and greatest, I have a test build available for download. It has proven to be free of bugs so far. The new features present at this point are:
- Tableau clicking: click a tableau to play the selected card. Hazard must be selected if clicking opponent's tableau.
- Game menu: opened with a button at the top-left corner during game play
- Card captions: when a card is selected, its description will be shown on the screen. This option is turned on by default, and can be turned off via the game menu
- Cancel button: If you put your finger down, and realize that you didn't mean to do what you're about to do, then without lifting your finger, slide over to the black X, then lift your finger. This will cancel the click and deselect the card.
- Fast game: reduces the delay in the computer's moves from 500ms to 200ms. Turned off by default, can be turned on via game menu.
- Reduced deadzone: the left-to-right deadzone has been reduced, which should mean far fewer unregistered clicks.
- New safeties: the icons are the same, but the background has been changed to make them stand out more.
- New launcher icon: no longer using the Palm default icon.
- GPL logo on main screen, which takes you to the GPL notices when clicked. Click anywhere on the screen to return back to the main menu.
Remember that even though it has been stable for me, and I have discovered no bugs, this is still a test release. The IPK can be downloaded here. If you do install it, please let me know your reactions. This build will not be distributed via Preware.