Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192425262728293031 LastLast
    Does anyone know what the powersave Bias number is for on one setteing I get a 0, on another setting I get a 1. Do you know which number is for better battery life. Im assuming this has something to do with battery life since it says powersave.
  2. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post

If my negotiations with Palm fail, i will probably move to this model after a certain exclusivity period to honor all of the users who paid for this app.

thanks everyone for being so understanding during this process,

number1pete
    Technically, I paid for the app, but more so I feel I donated for all your hard work and contributions to the Palm Pre user community. I for one, would have no hard feelings if the app were released any time you wish on a donation basis. No exclusivity period needed as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I'm wondering if an additional donation would be sufficient compensation to provide my brother the feed information to the Ultimate app. Out of good conscience, I will respect your wishes in this, but thought you might be amenable to that scenario.
    From Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals

powersave_bias - This modifies the behavior of the ondemand governor to save more power by reducing the target frequency by a specified percentage. By default, (powersave_bias = 0), the ondemand governor selects the minimum processor frequency that can still complete a workload with minimal idle time. Doing so should result in the highest performance to power efficiency ratio. In some cases, you might prefer a greater emphasis on power efficiency than performance. In this case, set the powersave_bias parameter to a value between 1 and 1000 to reduce the target frequency by one-thousandth of that value. For example, set powersave_bias to 100 for a one-tenth reduction in target frequency. In this case, if the governor chooses a target frequency of 2 GHz (with powersave_bias = 100), the governor instead will request 1.8GHz – a one-tenth reduction. If 1.8 GHz is an exact match with an available hardware frequency (listed in the scaling_available_freq parameter), the processor is set to this frequency. If 1.8 GHz is not available, the processor fluctuates between the closest available upper and lower frequencies for an average frequency of 1.8 GHz. (from IBM web page). The original author of the ondemand powersave_bias code explains it as "For example, If ondemand requests 2.0GHz based on utilization, and powersave_bias=100, this code will knock 10% off the target and seek a target of 1.8GHz instead of 2.0GHz until the next sampling. If 1.8 is an exact match with an hardware frequency we use it, otherwise we average our time between the frequency next higher than 1.8 and next lower than 1.8" (from [PATCH 2/2] ondemand: updated add powersave_bias tunable - msg#00114 - linux.kernel.cpufreq ) - the key word appears to be "average". The author also warns "In practice, users will not be able to detect a difference between 0.1% increments, but 1.0% increments turned out to be too large. Also, the max value of 1000 (100%) would simply peg the system in its deepest power saving P-state, unless the processor really has a hardware P-state at 0Hz".
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewpydog View Post
    I just bought the scaling app, using it with the 800 kernel from super prekernel. I set the scale from 250-800 and got consistent lockups when the phone was idle, requiring battery pulls. I suspect when the cpu scaled to 250 it choked. I finally was able to scale from 500-800 (after three attempts due to lockups) and it seems to be stable. Will report more later after testing. Thank you to developers for all your hard work!
    I found this as well. I actually started with 125-800, then, after running into lockups mostly if not always when it was idle (screen black, may or may not have the LED flashing, non-responsive to power button, opening slider, center button with slider open), I went to 250-800. I ran into the same problems, tho I at least imagine it was less frequent, but then I've since gone to 500-800, and, so far, maybe just over a week, and no such hang-ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Technically, I paid for the app, but more so I feel I donated for all your hard work and contributions to the Palm Pre user community. I for one, would have no hard feelings if the app were released any time you wish on a donation basis. No exclusivity period needed as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I'm wondering if an additional donation would be sufficient compensation to provide my brother the feed information to the Ultimate app. Out of good conscience, I will respect your wishes in this, but thought you might be amenable to that scenario.
    +1 -- other then the part about my brother-- thanks for your work
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  6.    #566  
    Ondemand gover dominates userspace!

800mhz userspace looses to 500-->800mhz ondemand governor significatly in my tests.

try it yourself...the benchmark is below:

BrowserMark

i get 16,000 with 800mhz userspace and 21,000 with ondemand 500-->800mhz.

im thinking the userspace governor is not giving more voltage like the ondemand governor does.

thanks,

number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Ondemand gover dominates userspace!

800mhz userspace looses to 500-->800mhz ondemand governor significatly in my tests.

try it yourself...the benchmark is below:

BrowserMark

i get 16,000 with 800mhz userspace and 21,000 with ondemand 500-->800mhz.

im thinking the userspace governor is not giving more voltage like the ondemand governor does.

thanks,

number1pete
    i have installed the webos-intrnals uber kernel instead of the super prekernel -- i was suffering from some severe battery drain from the SPK -- and i wanted to have the cpu temp monitor option. -- so since i downloaded that i thought that i would try govnah as well-- now my findings are not scientific and mostly gut feel but i felt that i had a much better experience with ondemand scaling which included no sluggish preformance and less random restarts. i have taken to using the cpu scaler ult ap i "donated" willingly to you for as it has better options with the type of scaling that i like and you have added support fo the cpu temp so battery and cpu temp are right next to each other

thanks for all of your hard work and tell CAJ if you talk to him that i am sorry to see him unhappy and i hope that his feelings change as i have had a lot of fun following his efferts

thanks again
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  8.    #568  
    yeah govnah is good for tracking cpu temp over time due to graph, and for one off cpu commands, but for the novice....its not going to setup your cpu the way you want it like the cpuscaler series of apps does.

the uber kernel is very nice, thenks to the cpu temp reader.

and to anyone who cares, my iPad just scored a 39,212 on browsermark...therefor it has to have a cortexA9 since its only running at 1Ghz. If it were a cortexA8 then there is no way it could score so high. This maybe the first device ever with a cortexA9.

number1pete

Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i have installed the webos-intrnals uber kernel instead of the super prekernel -- i was suffering from some severe battery drain from the SPK -- and i wanted to have the cpu temp monitor option. -- so since i downloaded that i thought that i would try govnah as well-- now my findings are not scientific and mostly gut feel but i felt that i had a much better experience with ondemand scaling which included no sluggish preformance and less random restarts. i have taken to using the cpu scaler ult ap i "donated" willingly to you for as it has better options with the type of scaling that i like and you have added support fo the cpu temp so battery and cpu temp are right next to each other

thanks for all of your hard work and tell CAJ if you talk to him that i am sorry to see him unhappy and i hope that his feelings change as i have had a lot of fun following his efferts

thanks again
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post

thanks again

Scientific results from alpha testers comparing Uber to SPK found SPK to be more stable
    yeah govnah is good for tracking cpu temp over time due to graph, and for one off cpu commands, but for the novice....its not going to setup your cpu the way you want it like the cpuscaler series of apps does.

the uber kernel is very nice, thenks to the cpu temp reader.
    Fully agree with both your points. It's great to have multiple interoperable solutions for people to choose between depending on their specific needs, and it's great that when the two apps are configured the same way that the result is identical performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ujsc View Post
    Scientific results from alpha testers comparing Uber to SPK found SPK to be more stable
    Can you please substantiate this claim with technical data? Or is it your intent to just make the kind of inflammatory posts in different threads that causes arguments between users and other users and spread disharmony in the community?

See http://forums.precentral.net/showpost.php?p=2412077 for the technical reasons why the overclocking performance of both SPK and UberKernel is identical when both are installed and configured correctly.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hey everyone,

For those of you that have had an issue trying to uninstall the CPUScalerUber Service, rwhitby from webos internals guided me to a fix.

1. Make sure you are using the latest version of preware or WebOSQI
    2. Using WOSQI overwrite the service with the current version from
    3. Then simply uninstall using WOSQI or Preware

Thanks to the guys at webos internals for this fix. It has been bugging me for weeks.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Fully agree with both your points. It's great to have multiple interoperable solutions for people to choose between depending on their specific needs, and it's great that when the two apps are configured the same way that the result is identical performance.

Can you please substantiate this claim with technical data? Or is it your intent to just make the kind of inflammatory posts in different threads that causes arguments between users and other users and spread disharmony in the community?

See [url] for the technical reasons why the overclocking performance of both SPK and UberKernel is identical when both are installed and configured correctly.

-- Rod

Mr. Whitby,

Please show us your data please. I only wrote what Iread you don't have to make it personal. Many posts have been written on this and you are attcking here sir
    Please show us your data please. I only wrote what I read you don't have to make it personal. Many posts have been written on this and you are attcking here sir
    Indeed many posts have been written on this, but few of them contain objective technical facts like http://forums.precentral.net/showpost.php?p=2412077

I have requested similar technical rationale from those that assert that there is a difference in overclocking performance when you use the same underlying kernel code and overclocking patch and governor and cpu scaling parameters, but nothing has been forthcoming.

I attack no-one. I put forward the inclusive suggestion of open interoperable solutions, and choice of overclocking solution by the end-user based on objective technical facts about the solution itself. I do not tell users to use one solution in favour of another, I let them make their own decisions for that personal choice. Notice how the CPU Scaler app that this thread is about works perfectly well with a number of overclocking kernels and includes support for the latest open source features like the internal CPU temperature sensor - that is the open interoperability that all developers should be striving for. The Battery Monitor application is another example of a developer who sees the benefit of interoperability and end-user choice.

I would very much like to see an objective third-party make a table like http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-i...-quick-install - the objectivity shown in that PreCentral article seems to be sorely missing in the overclocking arena.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/30/2010 at 08:53 PM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I would like to see side by side comparison data espcially with cpu scaler. Data from real users?
    Last edited by ujsc; 04/30/2010 at 09:23 PM.
    Mr. Whitby,

Please show us your data please. I only wrote what Iread you don't have to make it personal. Many posts have been written on this and you are attcking here sir
    i did not feel that he was being in any way confrontational -- more to the point he was suggesting that you back up your statement. i can only tell you from personal experience that i found the super prekernel to really chew up my battery -- i had used the .sh and the ipkg versions of the 800MHz patch and found them to operate perfectly but something in the way that my phone is set up did not like the super pre kernel -- i am not suggesting some scientific results only personal experience. when you are quoting scientific results you should provide results .. i think that is all that was being said .. not that i can speak for anyone else.
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    This may be the single most useful and valuable app available for the Palm Pre. A MUST have! Awesome !
    The Saint
    I would like to see side by side comparison data espcially with cpu scaler. Data from real users?
    Absolutely, let's get CPUScaler (an independent third-party CPU scaling app that is able to perfectly control both the SuperPreKernel and the WebOS Internals Uber-Kernel) and get an independent third party (perhaps a PreCentral editor?) to do a scientific analysis of performance and impact on internal CPU temperature running both solutions on the same device under the same conditions (note that since both are running the same code when correctly installed and configured with the same governor and cpu scaling parameters, the results will come out identical).

The problem is what would one do with such data? Use it to try and put down the other solutions? Make some claim that one solution is somehow better performing than another when we all know that they are all based on the same Linux kernel code and governors and CPU scaling settings?

That doesn't seem very inclusive or harmonising for the community. In fact it seems to be something that might cause the exact divisiveness that caj2008 said was the cause of his not wanting to continue to develop the SuperPreKernel any further.

An alternate approach (which is much more harmonious in my opinion) is to provide the raw technical details of each solution (e.g. full source code, full details of the governors provided and the settings for each, full set of patches included in the kernel, full disclosure of the webOS version used for the kernel, any additional features included in each kernel), and then let users try a number of solutions themselves and see which one works best for their particular device and circumstances (since we all know that devices vary when operated outside of their guaranteed specification limits due to the variability of the manufacturing process and speed binning).

Why is the idea of multiple well-maintained and supported interoperable overclocking solutions so threatening?

It seems to work very well in the arena of package installers with WOSQI and Preware being developed by independent parties, improving at rapid speeds by learning and collaborating with each other, and still being able to coexist peacefully and harmoniously for the benefit of the community ... why can it not work the same here?

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/30/2010 at 10:42 PM.
    sorry if this has been asked already, I didnt see anything about it, but if we already paid for the ultimate scaler in the past, do we need to donate again for the update? or are we able to update 1st gen ultimate to latest ultimate version 2.1.2?
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thePretender View Post
    sorry if this has been asked already, I didnt see anything about it, but if we already paid for the ultimate scaler in the past, do we need to donate again for the update? or are we able to update 1st gen ultimate to latest ultimate version 2.1.2?
    Check your e-mail that number1pete sent you and click on the link. There are instructions on how to add his feed to Preware and you can update it from there.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Thank you for the update! CPU temperature was not accurate with the Linux command (cat /sys/devices/platform/omap34xx_temp/temp1_input) until I scaled it to 500-800 Mhz.