Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031 LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 601
  1. #521  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    What i am doing can be considered a private beta where you have to pay me to test the apps.
    Exactly what the person behind MyTether did. It was a useful app, but it is unethical to say "pay and I'll give you a beta version" to everybody. (unethical, because you are still violating Palm's SDK terms)

    And by calling it a beta, you will eventually have to provide it to everyone either for free or paid (through the catalog, or an approved channel) in the future.

    This is unethical, and by the way, nothing has been said as to whether or not the MyTether/Palm issue was resolved, and I believe it wasn't, considering Palm had his PayPal account frozen and I am waiting for the post from you claiming Palm burned you when they do the same to you.

    And for your information, Palm will NOT allow this app to be sold at all, because their official stance is that modding your kernel will void your warranty, and they have sole discretion as to whether or not you can sell your app, because you are using their Software Development Kit they spent so much money on to make it.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  2.    #522  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Exactly what the person behind MyTether did. It was a useful app, but it is unethical to say "pay and I'll give you a beta version" to everybody. (unethical, because you are still violating Palm's SDK terms)

    And by calling it a beta, you will eventually have to provide it to everyone either for free or paid (through the catalog, or an approved channel) in the future. The app is still closed-source and not available to the public. I will not be circulating it to any new users.

    This is unethical, and by the way, nothing has been said as to whether or not the MyTether/Palm issue was resolved, and I believe it wasn't, considering Palm had his PayPal account frozen and I am waiting for the post from you claiming Palm burned you when they do the same to you.

    And for your information, Palm will NOT allow this app to be sold at all, because their official stance is that modding your kernel will void your warranty, and they have sole discretion as to whether or not you can sell your app, because you are using their Software Development Kit they spent so much money on to make it.
    I was unaware of what happened to MyTether. I thought they worked something out with Palm.

    I have pulled the app. It is no longer available for purchase. Current users can utilize the download page or preware feeds if there are any updates. This app is still closed-source and not available to the public. I will not be distributing this app to any new users.

    I will be abondoning development on CPUScalerUltimate. To the users looking for an alternative i can recommend the webos internals app "Govnah" which is not quite finished but coming along nicely.

    thanks,

    number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  3. gc916's Avatar
    Posts
    233 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #523  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Exactly what the person behind MyTether did. It was a useful app, but it is unethical to say "pay and I'll give you a beta version" to everybody. (unethical, because you are still violating Palm's SDK terms)

    And by calling it a beta, you will eventually have to provide it to everyone either for free or paid (through the catalog, or an approved channel) in the future.

    This is unethical, and by the way, nothing has been said as to whether or not the MyTether/Palm issue was resolved, and I believe it wasn't, considering Palm had his PayPal account frozen and I am waiting for the post from you claiming Palm burned you when they do the same to you.

    And for your information, Palm will NOT allow this app to be sold at all, because their official stance is that modding your kernel will void your warranty, and they have sole discretion as to whether or not you can sell your app, because you are using their Software Development Kit they spent so much money on to make it.
    arthurhornton,

    While I am not in any position to question the specific provisions, nor your interpretation, of the Palm TOS agreement, your approach to this situation does call into question, for me, at least, your motives.

    You are certainly entitled to your opinion on this matter, but why did you you not contact number1pete privately to discuss your concerns? In my experience, people who utilize a public forum to raise issues such as this are seeking to publicly discredit others without the professional courtesy of conducting a private discussion to identify and resolve the issues at hand.

    If you are formally affiliated with Palm, and are therefore obliged to protect their interest, then your actions may be justified, in my opinion. If you feel that your interests as a developer are somehow jeopardized by the actions of another developer that are potentially in violation of an agreement that establishes a precedent, then you may have a valid argument.

    In either case, it is my humble opinion that you could have expressed your concerns privately. Your public accusations appear to me as "grandstanding" that seek to humiliate someone who has spent a significant amount of time and energy to improve the experience of WebOS users.
  4. #524  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    I will be abondoning development on CPUScalerUltimate.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I personally think you should wait until you hear something from Palm, but that's your call of course.

    To the users looking for an alternative i can recommend the webos internals app "Govnah" which is not quite finished but coming along nicely.
    You're very welcome to join the WebOS Internals team. But we'll need to leave out the chrome styling, it hurts my eyes too much

    (I'm staying right out of the debate about the SDK TOS)

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5.    #525  
    Quote Originally Posted by gc916 View Post
    arthurhornton,

    While I am not in any position to question the specific provisions, nor your interpretation, of the Palm TOS agreement, your approach to this situation does call into question, for me, at least, your motives.

    You are certainly entitled to your opinion on this matter, but why did you you not contact number1pete privately to discuss your concerns? In my experience, people who utilize a public forum to raise issues such as this are seeking to publicly discredit others without the professional courtesy of conducting a private discussion to identify and resolve the issues at hand.

    If you are formally affiliated with Palm, and are therefore obliged to protect their interest, then your actions may be justified, in my opinion. If you feel that your interests as a developer are somehow jeopardized by the actions of another developer that are potentially in violation of an agreement that establishes a precedent, then you may have a valid argument.

    In either case, it is my humble opinion that you could have expressed your concerns privately. Your public accusations appear to me as "grandstanding" that seek to humiliate someone who has spent a significant amount of time and energy to improve the experience of WebOS users.
    Thanks for your words. I agree with what you said.

    Just an update to everyone:

    I have sent communications to the Palm developer relations team to get this sorted out. We shall see what happens to the fate of CPUScalerUltimate.

    thanks,

    number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  6. Speebs's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #526  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    Thanks for your words. I agree with what you said.

    Just an update to everyone:

    I have sent communications to the Palm developer relations team to get this sorted out. We shall see what happens to the fate of CPUScalerUltimate.

    thanks,

    number1pete
    Does this mean you took away the "buy now" link? because I just drove myself crazy for 20 minutes trying to find it!
  7. #527  
    Apps like this are bending the rules. Since I own this hardware(phone) and the base OS is open source. I'll participate in any damn rule bending I please. This is precisely *why* I love this phone so much. MyTether would be in the catalog if they allowed, but it offends a certain cellular company, hence it would be difficult for Palm to include it and remain in someone's good graces.

    I assume without even asking, that a program to enable easy control of overclocking kernals would be in the same boat and thus be less than welcome in the official paid app catalog. That doesn't mean that the incredibly talented and appreciated author should go without compensation!

    This is my phone, not Palm's or my service provider's and I will install on it what I choose. In such situations where inclusion in the standard catalog is difficult or impossible, I believe that there must be exceptions such as this.

    Do you actually believe that Palm would include this app in the paid catalog? I 'd be shocked. Pleasantly surprised, but very shocked if you endorsed it by including it in the catalog. And if they won't include it, then alternate methods must be allowed or they own and control the whole platform like another EVIL empire already does with a different phone. That would truly be something morally wrong and unethical!
  8. #528  
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    did you install CAJ's 720 or 800mhz kernel?

    if not then you will not be able to get to the higher speeds
    Just make sure I won't mess up. these 2 kernel below ?

    com.unixpsycho.webos141_720MHzKernel.ipk:
    Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?yfbzthtngmi

    com.unixpsycho.webos141_800MHzKernel.ipk:
    Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?txtiqiymwo3

    thanks
  9. jeking's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #529  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    You cannot sell this app outside of Palm's app catalog. I buy apps constantly, and I support the development of this app and the kernel, but you are breaking the terms of the SDK you agreed to when you downloaded the Palm SDK by selling the apps outside the official catalog.

    To sell the app outside the official App Catalog is despicable and outrageous. It is against the TOS you signed and, well.. it is wrong.
    I don't know who's right or wrong but your method leaves a lot to be desired. Take it up with number1pete directly, not in a public forum like this.

    By doing it this way, I'm not the only one left wondering what you have to gain in all of this.
  10. #530  
    hope i didnt waste $5 for something that will be discontinued.
  11. #531  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    hope i didnt waste $5 for something that will be discontinued.
    If you still use the app, nothing is wasted.
    Since I stick to the "slow" kernel I don't need the uber-ultimate-version but after reading the last two pages I feel a strong desire to donate some $ to number1pete...
  12. #532  
    Most importantly, this is your decision alone, but my 2 cents is that you continue to develop the ultimate scaler and have it open to donations. I know a lot of people are EVEN MORE willing to pay when this is an option. Not to mention that many people will donate more than the old $5 price.

    My sincere thanks for your hard work and hope that the development will continue!
  13. #533  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    Most importantly, this is your decision alone, but my 2 cents is that you continue to develop the ultimate scaler and have it open to donations. I know a lot of people are EVEN MORE willing to pay when this is an option. Not to mention that many people will donate more than the old $5 price.

    My sincere thanks for your hard work and hope that the development will continue!
    ditto this
  14. #534  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    hope i didnt waste $5 for something that will be discontinued.
    I bought the app last monday, (which was apparently one of the last days it was available). I initially had the same reaction.

    But then I realized:
    - I like the extra options the app offers.
    - The work this developer is doing on the Uberkernel is also great.
    - If it would have been free, the guy also deserves some support as in a donation.
    - It's 5 bucks.. jeeeez...
  15. #535  
    Ah bummer, speed kills

    This phone with the kernel and animation patch is so much more amazing My friend Matt who has a nice iphone was like oh man that is so fast. He was really impressed.

    The added speed has kept it from crashing while coming out of sleep. Before when I pushed the on button the lock might or might not show up and if it took too long I would not be able to move it. In most cases that would lead to a reboot.

    That has not happened for days. Now the lock shows up every time and if I can't move it a quick 2 clicks on the power button redraws the screen and I can move the lock. There might be a timer that causes it to "die" if it takes too long "coming out of sleep".

    If they don't add features that are amazing in the next patch maybe 1.4.1.1 might be the last upgrade I do for a while.
    Last edited by joepostal; 04/23/2010 at 01:10 AM.
  16. #536  
    Quote Originally Posted by joebel View Post
    - The work this developer is doing on the Uberkernel is also great.
    Actually, the Uber-Kernel is being developed by WebOS Internals, not L337Tech.

    Anyone is, of course, welcome to contribute to it though.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #537  
    Quote Originally Posted by neosubway View Post
    Just make sure I won't mess up. these 2 kernel below ?

    com.unixpsycho.webos141_720MHzKernel.ipk:
    Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?yfbzthtngmi

    com.unixpsycho.webos141_800MHzKernel.ipk:
    Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?txtiqiymwo3

    thanks
    right you can install either one of these or what i would recomend is this
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ial-video.html

    follow the directions -- fairly easy to install and works incredibly -- the super prekernel allows you to pick the speed of the cpu -- 500 - 800MHz and after that you can use the scaler to allow the cpu to adjust to your usage


    Thanks to all involved and to #1pete -- Thanks for all your work and I am glad to have had the opurtunity to pay the $5 -- the ap is awsome
    Last edited by mespiff; 04/23/2010 at 05:45 AM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

    Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

    My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  18. circuitjc's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #538  
    The whole reason I got a pre in the first place was because I will not support that other control freak company. If Palm ends up doing the same thing then I will go elsewhere when the time comes.

    I don't see EA or Gameloft supporting their products and users like this as others here have.

    I support the people who make MY Pre do what I want. Period.
  19.    #539  
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithnet View Post
    Apps like this are bending the rules. Since I own this hardware(phone) and the base OS is open source. I'll participate in any damn rule bending I please. This is precisely *why* I love this phone so much. MyTether would be in the catalog if they allowed, but it offends a certain cellular company, hence it would be difficult for Palm to include it and remain in someone's good graces.

    I assume without even asking, that a program to enable easy control of overclocking kernals would be in the same boat and thus be less than welcome in the official paid app catalog. That doesn't mean that the incredibly talented and appreciated author should go without compensation!

    This is my phone, not Palm's or my service provider's and I will install on it what I choose. In such situations where inclusion in the standard catalog is difficult or impossible, I believe that there must be exceptions such as this.

    Do you actually believe that Palm would include this app in the paid catalog? I 'd be shocked. Pleasantly surprised, but very shocked if you endorsed it by including it in the catalog. And if they won't include it, then alternate methods must be allowed or they own and control the whole platform like another EVIL empire already does with a different phone. That would truly be something morally wrong and unethical!
    I definately do not expect Palm to include this app in the product catalog but there is wordage in the SDK agreement about working deals outside of the product catalog. That is what i am hoping for.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    Most importantly, this is your decision alone, but my 2 cents is that you continue to develop the ultimate scaler and have it open to donations. I know a lot of people are EVEN MORE willing to pay when this is an option. Not to mention that many people will donate more than the old $5 price.

    My sincere thanks for your hard work and hope that the development will continue!
    If my negotiations with Palm fail, i will probably move to this model after a certain exclusivity period to honor all of the users who paid for this app.

    thanks everyone for being so understanding during this process,

    number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  20. #540  
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
    The whole reason I got a pre in the first place was because I will not support that other control freak company. If Palm ends up doing the same thing then I will go elsewhere when the time comes.
    I can see where you're coming from, but Palm are entitled to a cut of number1pete's profits because they developed the software that his app was built with.

    Having said that, I don't believe that there was anything malicious in number1pete's method. Sounds like a simple misunderstanding. More to the point he has taken the steps necessary to contact Palm about the situation and discontinued sales.

    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    hope i didnt waste $5 for something that will be discontinued.
    You should read the terms of purchase before you spend your hard earned cash. It was clearly written that:

    "You are not buying future versions of the product. The product is not guaranteed to be updated. The product is not guaranteed to work with future versions of WebOS or future versions of the Palm Pre. This product might never be updated."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions