Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    When I tried to remove the CPUScalerUber 1.1.1(I think) Service, I get the following error with WebOS QI and Preware:

Code:
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.l337tech.cpuscaleruber.prerm 2>&1
    stop: (00710/93728027) Unknown job: com.l337tech.cpuscaleruber
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.l337tech.cpuscaleruber.prerm: line 8: syntax error: "fi" unexpected
    any help?
    any help at all number1pete or someone else knowledgeable?
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    So this will not work with 1.4.1?
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    i just noticed my stats for cpuscaler ultimate arent shoing up.... wut to do?

Update: after webOS doctor, only installed one of two files. Had app but stats wouldnt show......

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
    Installed the ultimate app (through Preware); at the beginning, the set was 500-800.. Just a little lag.. When put on touchstone, it heats up to 40c then continue to increase slowly.. I changed the scaling to 250-800 but it still heats up when it's on touchstone.. Any solution?
    How is this different than the 800mhz kernel from CAJ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    How is this different than the 800mhz kernel from CAJ?
    CPUScaler is an application and service which controls a kernel, not a kernel itself.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    Piracy is illegal - unethical - disrespectful - harmful - shameful - counterproductive

it has come to my attention from many users that piracy of CPUScalerUltimate is on a rise.

These days there is little to nothing developers can do to stop it. All we can do is ask you to be ethical. The choice is 100% yours. Should i sin and steal apps or should i do the right thing an support the developer to encourage future developments.

Top reasons why piracy is bad:
    *there is no incentive for the developer to release new versions
    *there is no incentive for the developer to come up with better ideas around the functionality of the current app
    *lack of incentive to develop new apps
    *its illegal and you can get in trouble
    *piracy is a sin in just about every religion
    *piracy is unethical
    *stealing apps from devs is exactly like stealing food off their plate. Devs got to eat too.
    *the developer will not help you with any questions regarding the app

please consider everything mentioned in this post before you make the choice to steal this app or any other app. Like i said, anyone can steal any app these days, the choice is 100% yours.

thanks for everyone who has been ethical. Your support is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

number1pete
    Fully agree. Piracy of any kind is simply not acceptable.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    +1 --- it would be like stealing my tools -- exactly the same thing, I use them to feed my family
    sometimes i think people feel differently about software because it is not a tangible item but the mental property exists just as much as the physical

thanks for your work

besides if you cannot afford 5 dollars for something that works so well then either use the free version or live wit out
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Just wanted to 'check-in' and say that CPUScalerUltimate is working fine with webOS Internals' new uber kernel. Great to now have the support to read CPU temp (but that's for another thread )
  10.    #490  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    When I tried to remove the CPUScalerUber 1.1.1(I think) Service, I get the following error with WebOS QI and Preware:

Code:

failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.l337tech.cpuscaleruber.prerm 2>&1
    stop: (00710/93728027) Unknown job: com.l337tech.cpuscaleruber
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.l337tech.cpuscaleruber.prerm: line 8: syntax error: "fi" unexpected

any help?
    any help at all number1pete or someone else knowledgeable?
    yeah thats an easy fix.....it was documentd a few pages back. Basically there were some packages released for about 10hrs that had a minor programming error on my part.

the fix is to manually download the service and install it over the current service that you have using WOSQI.

sorry for the delayed response.

thanks,

number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  11.    #491  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiako View Post
    So this will not work with 1.4.1?
    this does work with webos 1.4.1

Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    i just noticed my stats for cpuscaler ultimate arent shoing up.... wut to do?

Update: after webOS doctor, only installed one of two files. Had app but stats wouldnt show......
    make sure you install the app and the service. Then do a reboot for fun.

thanks,

number1pete

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  12.    #492  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    +1 --- it would be like stealing my tools -- exactly the same thing, I use them to feed my family
    sometimes i think people feel differently about software because it is not a tangible item but the mental property exists just as much as the physical

thanks for your work

besides if you cannot afford 5 dollars for something that works so well then either use the free version or live wit out

thanks guys for chiming in on this issue. Its is very disappointing seeing these high levels of piracy.

here are some numbers:

legit downloads of free and paid apps = ~10,000

illegal downloads of paid app on a popular bitorrent site = ~ 30,000

like i said, very disappointing to see the overwhelming majority of cpuscaler users are unethical.

thanks to all the users who are using this app legitimately. Your support is greatly appreciated.

number1pete
    Last edited by number1pete; 04/21/2010 at 07:56 AM.

Super PreKernel app

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I just bought the scaling app, using it with the 800 kernel from super prekernel. I set the scale from 250-800 and got consistent lockups when the phone was idle, requiring battery pulls. I suspect when the cpu scaled to 250 it choked. I finally was able to scale from 500-800 (after three attempts due to lockups) and it seems to be stable. Will report more later after testing. Thank you to developers for all your hard work!
  14.    #494  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewpydog View Post
    I just bought the scaling app, using it with the 800 kernel from super prekernel. I set the scale from 250-800 and got consistent lockups when the phone was idle, requiring battery pulls. I suspect when the cpu scaled to 250 it choked. I finally was able to scale from 500-800 (after three attempts due to lockups) and it seems to be stable. Will report more later after testing. Thank you to developers for all your hard work!
    sounds like 500-->800mhz is your sweet spot.

thanks,

number1pete

Super PreKernel app

I purchased this app a few days ago but only got round to running it today - it works perfectly, so thanks

PS. Very sorry to hear about all the piracy going on, it is not cool.
  16.    #496  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    I purchased this app a few days ago but only got round to running it today - it works perfectly, so thanks

PS. Very sorry to hear about all the piracy going on, it is not cool.
    thanks for the support.

The piracy has been horrible for me. The piracy may have killed this app.

To see 40,000 downloads b/t rouge rapishare links and bittorrent sites it is so disappointing. People just dont care about developers anymore or think of the consequences their actions have on future development and the progress of webos development.

thanks,

number1pete

Super PreKernel app

I hear you. I don't think people truly understand the sheer number of hours that go into development of software. Quite apart from people stealing from you and denying you an income, it also hurts everyone else - this is why DRM exists and this is why ridiculous laws are being passed all the time in some desperate attempt to control piracy.

About the scaler itself, I wanted to ask you while I've got you here: how does the processor respond to background running processes (for example leaving Google Talk logged in, or receiving notifications from twitter apps?) I'm actually most interested in Google Talk - does the scaler view that as an idle process? Will it only scale up to a faster clock speed with user input? Just trying to figure out the ways to most efficiently save battery.

Cheers,
    SqyArc
    Sad thing is... most of the folks ripping you off by downloading the app without paying are more than likely well off. Work in a technology business and the ones best off financially are the first ones coming by expecting to get free software, laptops, keyboards, LCD monitors (you fill in the blank).

Haven't even picked up my device yet, but I will pay for it as soon as I get it. Do you take donations just because people appreciate the hard work put into the software?

It the culture we live in... everything is supposed to be free in this Internet generation (music, information, software). We have gone from companies ripping off consumers by price fixing, collusion, etc, to the individual ripping off whomever they can. But they forget that they are hurting real people trying to make a living just like them.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now...
    Last edited by C-Note; 04/21/2010 at 01:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Sad thing is... most of the folks ripping you off by downloading the app without paying are more than likely well off. Work in a technology business and the ones best off financially are the fist ones coming by expecting to get free software, laptops, keyboards, LCD monitors (you fill in the blank).

Haven't even picked up my device yet, but I will pay for it as soon as I get it. Do you take donations just because people appreciate the hard work put into the software?

It the culture we live in... everything is supposed to be free in this Internet generation (music, information, software). We have gone from companies ripping off consumers by price fixing, collusion, etc, to the individual ripping off whomever they can. But they forget that they are hurting real people trying to make a living just like them.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now...

not only that they are stunting the growth of products they want and need -- they will be among the loudest asking why this is broken or where is the update for my free software
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Realizing that we're creating a whole subtopic here, but...

I'm someone that believes in "free trials" of software. Even with "reviews," it's impossible for a person to tell if a piece of software meets an individual's needs... or, even works on a specific user's device. With all the possible combination of configurations, it's just not possible to tell if something will work until you actually try it.

However, I also believe that developers should be paid if someone actually uses a product.

Free trials come in many forms: from "full product for 10 days" to "some features disabled or limited" to "if you don't like it, I'll give you money back once you remove it from your device."

So, when someone doesn't offer any way of trying the product, and offers no refunds, I will sometimes look to see if I can find a free copy.

For example, when it was recently revealed that some of the EA games were available for free in Europe, I (being in the US) downloaded them for free. Within a few minutes, I found that Monopoly crashed my device too much. So, I deleted it. I found, however, that SIMS 3 worked well and was fun enough to warrant a purchase.

Had EA made demos available, I wouldn't have needed to resort to "making my own" demo period.

In the end, they got paid for a high quality app. Without said demo, I never would have purchased. And no, I didn't play SIMS until I "won" and then decided not to buy.

And I didn't need to pay for an app that crashed my device.

As for CPU Scaler, you're one of the good guys: you offer two free versions! While it's always possible for the pay version to behave differently than the free version, most of the risk for a buyer has been removed by you making a highly functioning version available for free.

In other words, there shouldn't be a need for people to have to download pirated versions of your product as roll-you-own-trialware... because you already offer a free demo!

So, sorry that people are stealing your work. You've done better than most in offering something for free.

But keep in mind that the people that are stealing your software are the sort of people who just don't see it as being worth $5. These are the people that, if there were airtight anti-piracy controls, never would have bought anyway.

So, don't think of this as killing your product, because what you need to look at is all the people that found what you offer worth the money. I saw your product, saw the cheap price, saw the demo... and quickly decided it was a non-brainer to pay up.