Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1.    #441  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I am absolutely loving this app. My pre can last longer than a day now without a charge.

i have one question about future updates. Have you considered adding more steps reaching the highest frequency. As it is, the phone will top out with only one moderately demanding app open. It would be nice if it would scale up to about 600MHz upon opening the first app, then top out if the user needs more juice.

I know i can just do it manually, but my version of the app doesn't have an option for manually setting frequency to 250 MHz, and you would be the coolest guy ever if you added this feature (not that you aren't already extremely cool).
    Stay tuned, this will be in future versions. Still waiting on the custom kernels to become more mature. I need the newer custom kernels because they have the conservative scaling governor required for scaling to have the behavior you mentioned.

thanks for the request,

number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    number1pete. I noticed in your CPU Ultimate instructions that you emailed me that you have a link for the old 800 kernel (.arm7 designation). I'm using the new ipk 800 kernel that became available April 14 (no .arm 7 designation). I'm assuming this is the correct way to go? Please clarify.
    Thanks
    P.S. As soon as I get 10 posts and can view your donation button, I'll send a donation. 1 to go I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    It is an awesome app!!
    caj/numberone: Can you clear something up for me? It seems like UberScaler gives me the option to do pretty much any speed/scaling combination. What's the advantage of caj's new app that loads several IPKs on the Pre and allows switching between them. Is there an advantage over Uber?

just bumping this one.
    Last edited by grappler; 04/20/2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    The app is still 2.1.0 so there is no need to update. The service has been updated to 2.1.1. Make sure you dont already have the 2.1.1 service by looking in installed packages, then go to services luna, click on CPUScalerUltimate Service and read the version number.

To you other quote above, I did not realize people were unclear on this. You can either have your kernel automatically scale the cpu freq based on cpu utilization or you can manually set the speed. If you set the speed, your processor is no longer scaling.

thanks,

number1pete
    I have the same issue here. The "service to run cpu scaling" is showing up in the "unknown" catagory in Preware and is showing 2.1.0 with no option to update. I have the "l337tech.com" (thats the letter "l" followed by 377 right?) feed installed.

Edit: First, if things are running fine for me with the 2.1.0 service, is there any reason for me to change? I love how its working for me right now so not anxious to mess with success. In the FWIW catagory. Its a bit confusing to have an app and service with similar names and that had the same version numbers (to start) then to have the service go to 2.1.1 while the app stays at 2.1.0.
    Last edited by midmofan; 04/19/2010 at 11:19 AM.
    I've been using the ultimate version for not quite a week now on my VZW Pre+ [WebOS 1.4]. I have the newest 800 MHz kernel installed. The pre runs smooth and fast when set for 500-800. When I try to set scaling to 250-800 it gets less stable with occasional resets or freezes [a battery pull gets it back in full form each time]. I would think I would see some additional battery life if I could scale down to 250. Is there a trick to getting 250-800 scaling to work, or should I just shut up and be happy with 500-800 [which is - after all - awesome]?

EDIT: Rereading through the thread - what I'm seeing seems consistent with what others have posted - so I guess I'll settle for 500-800 and still be very happy.
    Last edited by rixpre2010; 04/19/2010 at 11:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    i am currently running cpuscalerultimate at 500-800mhz with the unthrottle download manager and the faster card animations patch. i have to say for a all around perfect pre experience this is the combo you are looking for. super snappy with ultra fast download speeds. recommend this combo to anyone.

as a side note. i have noticed in the past couple of days that when i run the battery monitor app it sometimes makes my phone restart.... dont know why this happens. just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMack817 View Post
    i am currently running cpuscalerultimate at 500-800mhz with the unthrottle download manager and the faster card animations patch. i have to say for a all around perfect pre experience this is the combo you are looking for. super snappy with ultra fast download speeds. recommend this combo to anyone.

as a side note. i have noticed in the past couple of days that when i run the battery monitor app it sometimes makes my phone restart.... dont know why this happens. just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this problem.
    If you're running ScalerUltimate you don't need the battery monitor app for temp readings . . . it's listed in the ScalerUltimate stats.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    If you're running ScalerUltimate you don't need the battery monitor app for temp readings . . . it's listed in the ScalerUltimate stats.
    I know it is. was using it to monitor the life of the battery. not to see the temp.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMack817 View Post
    I know it is. was using it to monitor the life of the battery. not to see the temp.
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...68#post2391268

go to the battery monitor thread --StoneRyno has taken over where neville left off and there is a new version there --i have found no issues
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    just bought your full version GREAT APP!! keep developing WebOS is the bees knees. People like the developers on this forum are what we need more of! any one willing to teach! im willing to learn as well as test out anything.
    N1P -- After running the 800 patch for the better part of the last month, I finally found time to read through this and I just bought the Ultimate version. Thanks for your hard work on this - (along with the Kernal work by Caj and UnixPsycho) it's clearly on the forefront of helping all of us get more from our devices.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a description of what "Time In State" and "Up Time and Load" mean... clearly TIS is a time count of when the Proc is in a given state (duh), but what resets the count ? Reboot? It would be nice if we could reset that count on our own as we monitor our use... or maybe include the same data as % of time instead of #of (milliseconds?). Up Time and Load info I haven't quite figured out.... I think I've literally read every page of this thread over the course of the last 4 days and I didn't see a great overview of these stats.

2. Do you (anyone) have any idea what background processes such as email checking, GPS (Google Location Services), etc... drive CPU usage above the Shift-up threshhold? I'm just wondering what 'idle' time really means and how much of the time the cpu is really idle below 11%
  13.    #453  
    Quote Originally Posted by pahomefinders View Post
    just bought your full version GREAT APP!! keep developing WebOS is the bees knees. People like the developers on this forum are what we need more of! any one willing to teach! im willing to learn as well as test out anything.
    sounds like you need to get yourself some project ares!

thanks for the support,

number1pete

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    When I tried to remove the CPUScalerUber 1.1.1(I think) Service, I get the following error with WebOS QI and Preware:

Code:
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.l337tech.cpuscaleruber.prerm 2>&1
    stop: (00710/93728027) Unknown job: com.l337tech.cpuscaleruber
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.l337tech.cpuscaleruber.prerm: line 8: syntax error: "fi" unexpected
    any help?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChaosMarine03; 04/19/2010 at 06:37 PM.
    HI alright,

I finally got it working - dunno what happened...but ended up having to doctor it (I put it on aeroplane mode the night before)...and then WIFI, catalog, was not working at all....

Quick question..I noticed that with CPU scaling,...say 125-800, When i check stats..it's showing 800Mhz...does that mean it's already running 800mhz? ..I guess if we're looking to save battery- the only way is to force it to run at a lower speed...say during standby...Did i get this right?
    hi,

I've been running the previous 800MHz IPK install kernel (but still for WebOS 1.4.x), with CPUScalerUltimate v2.1 for about a week.

I had some freezes with the 125-800 setting, so I've mostly been using the 250-800 setting, which, mostly, at least, seems to be working well. Freezes and restarts have been rare enough that I haven't thought to check out the relationship with CPU scaling.

I've noticed, though, that my CPU speed changes don't always "take".

Sometimes, when I use the "Scale and Speed Off" and then check via the "Stats" button (whether through the Uber speeds scene or the main scene) that my Maximum scaling frequency and minimum scaling frequency settings seem still to be 800 and 250, respectively.

Rarely, I think I've even seen them to be 800 and 125, respectively, without my having used that setting since the first day or two.

This evening, I went through the addition of the custom Preware feed and noticed that the CPU scaling service needed to be updated. I did the update, hoping that would change the observed bahavior, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I had it on 250-800, hit Scale and Speed Off, then the stats button, and I see these stats:
    * Current CPU frequency: 500000
    * Max Scaling frequency: 800000
    * Min Scaling frequency: 125000

Shouldn't those latter be 600000 and 500000, respectively? I thought that was the default setting.

When I went back to change the setting to 250-800, then hit stats, those stats changed to:
    * Max Scaling Freq: 800000
    * Min Scaling Freq: 250000
    That seems to be what I'd expect.

and again, when I go right afterwards to Scale and Speed Off, then check stats, those frequencies changed to 80000 and 125000, respectively.

Is there something wrong here? What could be going on? How can I fix it?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    I'm pretty confused by all this. I bought Ultimate. But I would like to see a Youtube video of this in action.
    I installed the files, but now Quick-Install no longer sees any of my Patches or Applications; including your software. How do I remove the app without Quick-Install?

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    I installed the files, but now Quick-Install no longer sees any of my Patches or Applications; including your software. How do I remove the app without Quick-Install?
    run the patch restoration utility -- your patches should "show back up"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  20.    #460  
    Quote Originally Posted by firemandave View Post
    number1pete. I noticed in your CPU Ultimate instructions that you emailed me that you have a link for the old 800 kernel (.arm7 designation). I'm using the new ipk 800 kernel that became available April 14 (no .arm 7 designation). I'm assuming this is the correct way to go? Please clarify.
    Thanks
    you can use any of them. They all run the same ole 800MHzOS14.sh script. I had a hand in developing most of those kernel ipk's flying around. They all get the job done.

thanks,

number1pete

Super PreKernel app