Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 601
  1. #21  
    First version of this worked fine for me, but since the update it just crashes the phone after a short time activated. Even with the "default setting" 500-600mhz. I need to pull out the battery and the cable, after a few seconds the screen will stop being elightened and i can put energy back in to reboot.
    Got a regular pre from amazon, sold by O2 in germany.

    scaling from 250-800mhz sounds nifty... =)

    perhaps i should retry the uninstallation + installation, but that won't be till i return home this evening.
  2.    #22  
    sounds like your phone doesnt like 125mhz....uninstall install doesnt change anything. If you truly feel like something is wierd a reboot washes away anything this app does.

    You may just want to settle for the "Set Speed 600mhz" option until Palm releases a newer kernel that doesnt arbitrarily scale down to 125mhz even though you told it not to.

    You can keep the phone at "Set Speed 500mhz" or 250mhz and then when you really need to start multitasking just flip on the "Set Speed 600mhz".

    For people like you, i am also considering an option in the next release that sets the phone to 600mhz when the LCD is on and 250-500mhz when the LCD is off.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    hey, is this going to be updated to work with the upcoming 720mhz-800mhz patch made for 1.4? Cause i really like the idea of being able to set my pre to 250mhz for when i want to save battery, and then bring it up to 800mhz when i want to use it...
    okay thats three people already.....i will definately plan on releasing a version of this to work with the 720/800mhz kernel when ever its released.

    It will not be hard to modify this app i just have to do it which requires my time. Since i do this as a hobby its getting harder and harder to find time.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by rub2008 View Post
    Hi all, this sounds great and all but how safe is it to use. I recall when the patches came out and then were removed because they could cause problems.
    has anyone had any problems with this? Let me know I want to install it on ly pre but need a little reassurance.
    This app is relatively safe. However i do not recommend running at 600mhz 24/7 unless you have a cpu from the "good" batch. To test this out simply hit the "Set Speed 125mhz" option and play around with the phone. If it doesn't crash then you probably have a "good" cpu and you should not worry about any of the settings this app has. If your phone crashes or you have to reboot or shutdown, your phone resets back to all default values.
    Last edited by number1pete; 03/22/2010 at 08:09 AM.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    the kernel atm, is a little janky. You can tell it to do one thing and sometimes it does something else. Hopefully one day Palm will include a more recent kernel. I will double check the code again but im pretty sure the code is right. thanks for the info.

    if the advertisement links pop up at the top then you successfully applied the cpu setting that you wanted.

    you can close the app once you applied your setting. It sticks until you reboot or shutdown.
    First off - thanks for creating the app!

    I am having an issue with "Scale 250-->600mhz"

    Seems to actually set it to 125mhz instead of 250. Here's the output first on a clean boot and second after running the scale 250-->600.

    Code:
    root@palm-webos-device: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
      600000 1666
      550000 1259
      500000 15341
      250000 0
      125000 200
    
    root@palm-webos-device: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
      600000 5738
      550000 1259
      500000 15341
      250000 0
      125000 8582
    Is this just a kernel bug or something that can be fixed by the CPUScaler App?
  6. #26  
    Is this only available for 1.3.5.x? I installed both the service & the app on mine & tried making it work, but I never seen any change or whatever. I'm running webOS 1.4 & in your instructions, you say wait for the ad pop-up but I never seen in pop up. And I didn't notice anything faster or anything. If someone can help me on what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!
  7. #27  
    I'm using 1.4 and everything is fine. I had to reboot the phone after the installation, otherwise the ad would not appear.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by neos200 View Post
    I'm using 1.4 and everything is fine. I had to reboot the phone after the installation, otherwise the ad would not appear.
    Hmm...? That's weird because I did that too and it didn't work. I'm not sure then. I'm thinking of going back down to 1.3.5.1 but I'm not sure just yet. I haven't really liked what 1.4 has brought. Do you know if the patches in Preware work with 1.4?
    -- Alexis Segura

    **Check out my theme Suave on Prethemer.com**
  9. #29  
    Trying it out. Seems good so far. When i first installed I set down to 125 no problem. Then I set it to 500-600 and opened as many apps as the pre would let me, 16 in all. Then i closed the apps out and the phone reset.

    I do like the results so far. Thanks for the app.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    Hmm...? That's weird because I did that too and it didn't work. I'm not sure then. I'm thinking of going back down to 1.3.5.1 but I'm not sure just yet. I haven't really liked what 1.4 has brought. Do you know if the patches in Preware work with 1.4?
    technically this app should work on any version of webos. Lots of people have been reporting problems with the ad not poping up. Could be a problem with your data connection or admob simply not having an ad to serve at the moment, or admob not serving your ip adress for fear of abuse or something.

    if you want to know if its working copy and paste the code towards the bottom of the OP into WOSQI's terminal. It will show you your time the cpu is spending in whatever frequency. My guess is that its working for you.

    another dead simple way to know if its working is to hit the "Set Speed 125mhz" option and then play around with your phone. Everything should be super sluggish.

    I am working on CPUScaler 2.0, and it has a feature that shows you if and how its working. You guys will just have to caveman it till im done.

    good luck

    number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by edbbates11 View Post
    Trying it out. Seems good so far. When i first installed I set down to 125 no problem. Then I set it to 500-600 and opened as many apps as the pre would let me, 16 in all. Then i closed the apps out and the phone reset.

    I do like the results so far. Thanks for the app.
    np, sounds like you got a good cpu. Dont forget to reset the 500-->600 scaling option after you rebooted. rebooting reverts the kernel to default values (aka 500mhz constant speed).
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrluk View Post
    First off - thanks for creating the app!

    I am having an issue with "Scale 250-->600mhz"

    Seems to actually set it to 125mhz instead of 250. Here's the output first on a clean boot and second after running the scale 250-->600.

    Code:
    root@palm-webos-device: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
      600000 1666
      550000 1259
      500000 15341
      250000 0
      125000 200
    
    root@palm-webos-device: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
      600000 5738
      550000 1259
      500000 15341
      250000 0
      125000 8582
    Is this just a kernel bug or something that can be fixed by the CPUScaler App?
    kernel bug atm. I am working on a work around. I will let everyone know if i ever fix it. Would be so much easier if Palm would just release a newer kernel.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  13. #33  
    Odd... can't get any recordable time in 125 or 250mhz, however, it does show that it's been in the 600, 550 and 500Mhz states.

    No ads popup either.

    I was running caj2008's 600mhz patch previous to this. Don't know if that has any affect on CPUScaler...in fact, I can't find how to unpatch it.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Odd... can't get any recordable time in 125 or 250mhz, however, it does show that it's been in the 600, 550 and 500Mhz states.

    No ads popup either.

    I was running caj2008's 600mhz patch previous to this. Don't know if that has any affect on CPUScaler...in fact, I can't find how to unpatch it.
    hmm, you definitely want to remove the cpu patch that you have installed, if you haven't already removed it. I am unfamiliar with the details behind that patch but there is a chance that it might interfere. Plus you no longer need a "patch" for cpu scaling or setting the speed of the cpu since this app lets you choose what you want at any time. here is the link http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ple-patch.html for the caj2008 patch that you may have installed, he gives a line of code to unistalls the patch....its
    Code:
    sh /var/home/root/600MHz_OSIndependentpatch.sh uninstall
    try using the "Set Speed 125mhz" option to see if your phone becomes crazy slow, then pop it back up to 600mhz or scale it how you please.
    Last edited by number1pete; 03/22/2010 at 04:05 PM.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  15. #35  
    now scaling is the changing of frequency depending on the phones needs right. So if i have the 500-600 enabled, is the constant changing of frequency more battery consuming then say just leaving it at 600mhz?
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    now scaling is the changing of frequency depending on the phones needs right. So if i have the 500-600 enabled, is the constant changing of frequency more battery consuming then say just leaving it at 600mhz?
    you will save more battery with scaling enabled. When the cpu scales down it's speed it also scales down the voltage. If you leave it at 600mhz all the time you will be usig the most battery possible, but you will get the highest performance. Scaling is great becuade you use less power at idle but you have more speed when your using your phone.

    scaling is not changing your speed all the time...just scales up when you go above 11% cpu utilization (which is basically anytime your phone is not at idle) and scales down when at idle. So it's not like it scales 500 times every minute...more like twice everyminute if you used you phone for one minute long then put it to sleep.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    tltq

    thanks for clearing that, what about the constant scaling and effect on the cpu?

    Also before i installed the application, iran that terminal code to see what my pre has been using (no other cpu patches installed) and it had times for all the different frequencies (250-600) does that indicate the pre scales the cpu itself anyway?
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    thanks for clearing that, what about the constant scaling and effect on the cpu?

    Also before i installed the application, iran that terminal code to see what my pre has been using (no other cpu patches installed) and it had times for all the different frequencies (250-600) does that indicate the pre scales the cpu itself anyway?
    during the bootup sequence the procesor may enter some of the other freq but it's for a very short period of time.

    scaling is not hard on the cpu...some say leaving cpu on at 600mhz all the time is hard on the "bad" procesors. But if you have a "good" procesor then 600mhz is what it's made to run at all the time.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    technically this app should work on any version of webos. Lots of people have been reporting problems with the ad not poping up. Could be a problem with your data connection or admob simply not having an ad to serve at the moment, or admob not serving your ip adress for fear of abuse or something.

    if you want to know if its working copy and paste the code towards the bottom of the OP into WOSQI's terminal. It will show you your time the cpu is spending in whatever frequency. My guess is that its working for you.

    another dead simple way to know if its working is to hit the "Set Speed 125mhz" option and then play around with your phone. Everything should be super sluggish.

    I am working on CPUScaler 2.0, and it has a feature that shows you if and how its working. You guys will just have to caveman it till im done.

    good luck

    number1pete
    Holy cow!! Yes, it worked. I moved it to 125 and it was the slowest I could have ever imagined my phone being. Haha. But then I moved it back to 600 and it's fast again. So I guess that's good. Thanks!! I guess I didn't notice the speed difference.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Pete that is pure speculation, warn but don't overconclude. The data with 600 MHz frquency being constant has been very good if not excellent. Many people have had there phone at 600 MHz for a hell of along time. Undervolting could be the reason for the issues (125 MHz).

    Jeff
    its more of a hypothesis. TI said themselves that the reason for the Pre launching with 500mhz as the default frequency was due to a lot of cpu's from the early batch degrading faster than acceptable levels when running at 600mhz. So i assume there is a bad batch of cpu's out there.

    Secondly from empirical testing, i know for a fact that about 70% of users run at 125mhz no problem, but about 30% fails when running at that speed and its corresponding voltage. This is further evidence that there is a "good" batch and a "bad" batch of cpu.

    Because i have no more information, my hypothesis is that if you cant run at 125mhz then you should not run at 600mhz 24/7 because you may be from the "bad" batch of cpu's.

    However if your phone was made recently then you probably have a "good" processor even if it wont run at 125mhz. It may like higher voltage and consequently higher frequencies just fine and may not degrade as rapidly as the early batch of "bad" cpu's.

    Its not all speculation, some empirical evidence plus some facts from TI plus some guessing.

    However, your point is taken and i will try and reword what i said in the OP.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

    CPUScaling app L337Tech post

    Super PreKernel app

    If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions