Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    how did you change the threshold? what benefits does that have?
    Nicky T
    I bought the Ultimate edition and I love it. My only question is will this help in opening apps faster? I still don't see a big difference with all my apps. Messaging and email have vastly improved when opening and using these apps. FB app still opens slowly along with a few other ones.
  3.    #323  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashdude1971 View Post
    I bought the Ultimate edition and I love it. My only question is will this help in opening apps faster? I still don't see a big difference with all my apps. Messaging and email have vastly improved when opening and using these apps. FB app still opens slowly along with a few other ones.
    some apps are so heavily dependant on downloading information like google maps that it is hard to make the app open faster by increasing the cpu frequency.

Go with 500-->800mhz scaling and you will be as fast as you can (for now).

thanks for the support,

number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  4.    #324  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcspam123 View Post
    number1pete

Everything good. Got your email and the link. Your install instructions were extremely easy to follow. Installed everything in about 2 minutes. Everything appears to be working great. Excellent service!!
    thanks, glad you are enjoying everything.

number1pete

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjrtile View Post
    how did you change the threshold? what benefits does that have?
    Here you'll find a lot of information about cpu scaling in linux OS. You may use WQI or novaterm when connected through usb to your pc, or terminal or terminus if run from the Pre.

up_threshold shows the average cpu usage in % for the kernel to choose to switch to the next cpu speed available.

The default in the 720/800MHz kernels is 11%; that means it's going to be very responsive, because it only needs an average cpu usage of 12% to switch to a higher frequency.

YMMV, but I installed the 800MHz kernel & Cpuscaler app 24 hours ago, and it's been 66% of the time in the lowest speed (I've chosen 250 to 720MHz). That's with up_threshold = 60.

Hope that helps
    Thanks. very helpful, will definitely look into this
    Quote Originally Posted by quini View Post
    Here you'll find a lot of information about cpu scaling in linux OS. You may use WQI or novaterm when connected through usb to your pc, or terminal or terminus if run from the Pre.

up_threshold shows the average cpu usage in % for the kernel to choose to switch to the next cpu speed available.

The default in the 720/800MHz kernels is 11%; that means it's going to be very responsive, because it only needs an average cpu usage of 12% to switch to a higher frequency.

YMMV, but I installed the 800MHz kernel & Cpuscaler app 24 hours ago, and it's been 66% of the time in the lowest speed (I've chosen 250 to 720MHz). That's with up_threshold = 60.

Hope that helps
    i dowloaded mine last nite also and have been scaling 125-800 Mhz with no problems so far so i am goin to up the threshold this evening
    Nicky T
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjrtile View Post
    i dowloaded mine last nite also and have been scaling 125-800 Mhz with no problems so far so i am goin to up the threshold this evening
    Make us know about your tests. I'm now using an up_threshold of 60 / 70 and scaling 250 to 720MHz with no problems; cpu is at 250MHz 2/3 of the time, and the Pre is responsive enough to me...

Also, I purchased CPU Scaling Ultimate, and asked the author to add an option to modify the up_threshold from that app...
  9.    #329  

Hope that helps

the problem with the higher up thresholds comes in the form of skipping/glitching/flashing during video and audio playback. Also streaming apps are effected like Pandora.

11% up_threshold basically guarantees that when your using the phone, the processor is locked at a higher frequency. When your not using your phone and its idle, the cpu downshifts to a lower frequency.

The 11% up_threshold is based off of a year of testing. See my older threads for all the empirical evidence.

If you are a tinkerer, you may be happy with the next iteration of CPUScalerUltimate. It will have an advanced page with lots of scaling options like up threshold, scaling governor, etc..

thanks,

number1pete

Super PreKernel app

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    the problem with the higher up thresholds comes in the form of skipping/glitching/flashing during video and audio playback. Also streaming apps are effected like Pandora.

11% up_threshold basically guarantees that when your using the phone, the processor is locked at a higher frequency. When your not using your phone and its idle, the cpu downshifts to a lower frequency.

The 11% up_threshold is based off of a year of testing. See my older threads for all the empirical evidence.

If you are a tinkerer, you may be happy with the next iteration of CPUScalerUltimate. It will have an advanced page with lots of scaling options like up threshold, scaling governor, etc..

thanks,

number1pete
    Again, Thank you for the awesome app n1p. i have been running the ultimate app for a few day now.... had a pre that the usb port went bad and would not charge and the thing was slowin down like crazy ( maybe cause i dropped it from the 1 story of a staircase, Woops) but i got a refurb this weekend. i ran it for a full day with the 1.4.1.1 no tweaks or preware installed. on sunday put all my patches and kernels back on and WOW. works so much better. i did notice today that when i was running the sprint tv app it got to 45% pretty quick but did not go past that. not a big deal just wanted to let you know. other than that i have noticed a 1-3% drain in standby and about a 30% drain per hour when heavily using it. but i do use the heck out of my phone for everything. i am running it at 500-800mhz. working flawlessly for 3 days now.

now for the last post...

when will you release the new ultimate with the scaling threshold and governor? i would love to put that to the test!

and if you ever need a alpha or beta tester just let me know. i am more than willing to do that for ya.

so anyhow thanks again #1P for everything.
    JMack817
  11.    #331  
    hmm, that is some pretty heavy drain. You may find out after a while that your phone figures out the real levels of the battery.

there is no estimated time yet for the new app. Webos internals may be making that advanced piece so I'm going to wait and see.

thanks,

number1pete

Quote Originally Posted by JMack817 View Post
    Again, Thank you for the awesome app n1p. i have been running the ultimate app for a few day now.... had a pre that the usb port went bad and would not charge and the thing was slowin down like crazy ( maybe cause i dropped it from the 1 story of a staircase, Woops) but i got a refurb this weekend. i ran it for a full day with the 1.4.1.1 no tweaks or preware installed. on sunday put all my patches and kernels back on and WOW. works so much better. i did notice today that when i was running the sprint tv app it got to 45% pretty quick but did not go past that. not a big deal just wanted to let you know. other than that i have noticed a 1-3% drain in standby and about a 30% drain per hour when heavily using it. but i do use the heck out of my phone for everything. i am running it at 500-800mhz. working flawlessly for 3 days now.

now for the last post...

when will you release the new ultimate with the scaling threshold and governor? i would love to put that to the test!

and if you ever need a alpha or beta tester just let me know. i am more than willing to do that for ya.

so anyhow thanks again #1P for everything.
    JMack817

Super PreKernel app

I've read somewhere that there're some Pre whose CPU don't like those low speeds... that might be your case.

I've also found that behaviour in my Pre after installing the 800MHz ipk, despite I had it working with low speeds fine before the 720/800 script, but following the steps in caj2008 Ipk deployment, post 2 has solved my problem:

I've now got my Pre scaling fine 250-720MHz, and the last 24h stats show it's about 70% of the time at 250MHz (note I've set up_threshold to 60% instead of the default 11%); of course YMMV, as it depends on the use you give to yor Pre!

You may try that solution too. Hope that helps
    Thanks! I will give this a try sometime tonight and see if it fixes the issue.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    hmm, that is some pretty heavy drain. You may find out after a while that your phone figures out the real levels of the battery.

there is no estimated time yet for the new app. Webos internals may be making that advanced piece so I'm going to wait and see.

thanks,

number1pete
    I see where you were confused about the battery. I meant 45 deg. not 45%. my bad.
    is this ever going to be implemented to preware?
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Sorry if this is dumb (searched the whole thread)... but I'm a bit confused on install order. Do you install the Scaler files first (before the 800MHz patch), or do you install the 800ipk patch first and then the scaler. I read through the thread, but couldn't find clarification.

Sorry I'm missing something here... and thanks in advance for straightening me out!
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Please note that new ipk's posted on my second signature thread which Number1Pete helped significantly with, solve all errors and no solutions are now required. Just uninstall the olf kernel and replace with the new one posted last evening. I typically tested speeds between 250-800 with Number1Petes app and worked exceptionally well
    I did so 10 hours ago. Thanks for your advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Sorry if this is dumb (searched the whole thread)... but I'm a bit confused on install order. Do you install the Scaler files first (before the 800MHz patch), or do you install the 800ipk patch first and then the scaler. I read through the thread, but couldn't find clarification.

Sorry I'm missing something here... and thanks in advance for straightening me out!
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$'$s$ $advised$ $to$ $first$ $install$ $the$ $replacement$ $kernel$ ($it$'$s$ $not$ $a$ $patch$), $second$ $cpuscaler$ ($service$), $then$ $cpuscalerapp$ ($application$).

If you have purchased CpuScaler, the service's called cpuscalerult, and the app's called cpuscalerappultimate instead.

Both 720 & 800 kernels make the new 720 & 800MHz available to the system; they just set the system's frequency at 720 or 800MHz, so the Pre's going to run at a fixed 720 or 800MHz, unless you change that setting for:

-another fixed setting (125, 250, 500 (stock kernel default), 550, 600, 720 & 800MHz) or
    -dynamic frequency, for instance from 250 to 800MHz

The easyest way to do so is, of course, the cpuscaler app; it can also be done through a console (novaterm, wosqi, terminal, terminus...) or adding a script to the Pre's system.

Hope that helps
    That helps clear things up - thank you! And yes, I do realize the 800MHz upgrade is a kernel... sorry for calling it a 'patch' in my haste.

I've been running at 800MHz for a while now, but just replaced my device the other day. So I wanted to try out the CPU Scaling and wanted to make sure I installed the items in the correct order (measure twice - cut once).

Thanks for the help!
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$'$s$ $advised$ $to$ $first$ $install$ $the$ $replacement$ $kernel$ ($it$'$s$ $not$ $a$ $patch$), $second$ $cpuscaler$ ($service$), $then$ $cpuscalerapp$ ($application$).

Both 720 & 800 kernels make the new 720 & 800MHz available to the system; they just set the system's frequency at 720 or 800MHz, so the Pre's going to run at a fixed 720 or 800MHz, unless you change that setting for:

-another fixed setting (125, 250, 500 (stock kernel default), 550, 600, 720 & 800MHz) or
    -dynamic frequency, for instance from 250 to 800MHz

The easyest way to do so is, of course, the cpuscaler app; it can also be done through a console (novaterm, wosqi, terminal, terminus...) or adding a script to the Pre's system.

Hope that helps
    So should the set speed be set to 800MHz if you have the 720MHz kernal or set to 800MHz?
    Awesome awesome app. Bought the ultimate one and have been running it with the 800mhz kernel for past couple of days. phone is so much more responsive and my battery is lasting longer to, not a ton but an extra 45 mins to an hour in standby. I have it set to scale 250 to 720 and it runs about 1-2 degrees warmer but still stays in mid 30s or lower. Thanks again number1pete great job.
    Last edited by nocoolnames; 04/14/2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: mispelled word