1.    #1  
    Hello all,
    This is a thread for my first application, it is called "Halal Food".

The intention of this app is to give you an idea regarding the food ingredients of a product you have picked up from the supermarket and whether the e-codes (emulsifiers) in the ingredients are coming from animal origins or not. This is specially important for Muslims who can only eat "Halal" stuff.

It is also useful for Vegetarians and Vegans.

New Update available V1.1.0
    ----------------------------
    Added a new feature of searching through the ingredients codes as well

New Update available V1.1.1
    fixed small bug, now it should be possible to search with both capital and small letters as a first character

Future plans
    One thing I was thinking was to add some sort of products search, where you type in the number code of the barcode and then it tells you whether it is HALAL or not, of course this would need a huge collection data, and I will not be able to do this on my own (anyway I will only be able to get this from the country I am living in), so if anyone is interested in assisting me in collecting these data please contact me.

Regards
    Y Z
    Last edited by yasirzaki; 03/23/2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Updates available
    so how does it work, do you enter the food brand and product, or is it more general then that?

I guess if the pre had a better camera barcode scanning could be used...*sigh*
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    so how does it work, do you enter the food brand and product, or is it more general then that?

I guess if the pre had a better camera barcode scanning could be used...*sigh*
    currently it works by either scrolling down the e-codes list or by searching for one specific code e.g. e471, then it tells you whether this is ok to eat or not.
    I am working on entering products but this would be a long process as I should collect as many products as possible.
    You are right regarding the reading the barcode using the camera it doesn't really work, so I was thinking of making it by searching the numbers of the product (the ones below the barcode).
    I think then theres the problem of localizing it to different countries, but i am most interested in the app, if you ever need a beta tester..
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    I think then theres the problem of localizing it to different countries, but i am most interested in the app, if you ever need a beta tester..
    Sure, I thought it would be available by now on the howbrew app but it seems it is taking a bit longer, nevertheless if you are interested I can send it to you to test it.
    A.A. Thanks for your work on this app. Works fine and keep me posted on updates and new apps. JAK
    Ibrahim B.

Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
  7.    #7  
    I have updated the application to enable searching for words starting with capital and small letters.

If you have any suggestions on the app, I would be very interested to hear from you?

One thing I was thinking was to add some sort of products search, where you type in the number code of the barcode and then it tells you whether it is HALAL or not, of course this would need a huge collection data, and I will not be able to do this on my own (anyway I will only be able to get this from the country I am living in), so if anyone is interested in assisting me in collecting these data please contact me.
    thanks for this, i really need this.