Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nik.silver View Post
    Thanks all for the feedback. I would like to fix any problems, so please do report them. I'm already fixing one bug which makes dates slightly out in non-GMT timezones.

@pjjohn73 RTM isn't clear on whether you need to be a paying member for this kind of thing. I guess not.

@Seb_or_Sam I've never seen that message before, so any other details you can provide to help me track it down would be welcome.
    I was also getting the type error. My RTM itask list was empty. As soon as I added a task, no more type error on startup.

Been waiting for a gtd app. Hope it goes well!
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by theschles View Post
    I was also getting the type error. My RTM itask list was empty. As soon as I added a task, no more type error on startup.
    Thanks, @theschles, I've managed to reproduce that now and will be fixing it.
    This is a great app! Tasks have always been the primary thing I need to manage on my PalmOS/WebOS devices, and the Pre not having a decent task manager was making me look at android. Cloud Tasks may be the one thing keeps me from jumping ship.

One thing I've noticed is that I can lock up Cloud Tasks when I do many things on RTM and then try to sync (updating lots of tasks or moving groups of tasks between lists). I've had to reinstall Cloud Tasks to get it working again. Might be good to have a "clear and sync" option so it wipes out the tasks in Cloud Tasks and re-syncs from scratch.
  4.    #24  
    @tangozebra, that locking up problem is a pain. If you leave it, it really should come back to life eventually, but I can imagine if you do a lot in the web interface and then sync it can take a while.

The problem is (i) partly that RTM sometimes just sends a huge amount of unnecessary data (e.g. a couple of hundred instances of a repeating task even though you've only just changed it a little) and partly (ii) that webOS only allows single-threading (which means it can either process the data or respond to your gestures, but not both at once). I've written the app so that it repeatedly does a bit of processing, then a bit of user response, and so on, but the user response can still be jerky or worse. And if there's a lot of data to process then that will go on for a while. But the app hasn't crashed.

I can adjust the balance of the two (data processing and responsiveness), but it's difficult to tell what balance is right without subjecting good people like yourself to even worse user experiences in the name of experimentation. I don't think you should be faced with two sync options and have to do any mental processing along the lines of "hmm, I wonder which of these two options is more efficient and less prone to crashing?" You should have one option and the app should just work.

All further thoughts welcome. If you'd like your own personal builds to test then I may be able to put something together, but it might get worse before it gets better...
    Last edited by nik.silver; 03/30/2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Explained why I don't favour two sync options

Im making it available to others on the off-chance that they find it useful. Because of that there are plenty of missing features I just dont have the inclination or time to add. Sorry about that.

If youd like some features added Id encourage you to download the source and add the features yourself.

If there are features youd like and you dont want to add them, then just pretend youd never heard of this in the first place and you wont be any worse off.
    I can't help but get the impression that you really don't want to be harassed about your app not being good enough for some people ;-)

Good for you! If I wrote an application myself and shared it on the same off-chance, I'd probably prepare a description like this one, too.
    Changelog on the new update??? Did I miss it ....I know I know ... but I am curious ..... I have a feeling someone is going to make this app even better if Nik gets tired of it....
    I created a task and I am unable to pull up the details of it so I can delete it. I think this happened because I typed in "Wednesdays" in the recurrence field. I guess I used it wrong. How can I delete this task now? Thanks!
  8.    #28  
    Hi WillJitsu

All your tasks appear in the Remember The Milk web interface after syncing, so you can always log in to rememberthemilk.com to see your tasks and edit them (or delete them) from there.

However I'm unable to reproduce your particular problem. If you could tell me how to reproduce your problem I could provide more help. Here's what I did...

I created a task called "Xxx - hello" dated today (Thu 15 April 2010) with the recurrence set to "Wednesdays". When I swiped back I saw the task in the list with the round-arrow recurrence symbol, and the app did some syncing. When I tapped the task it appeared for me to edit, and the recurrence had changed to "After 1 week" (I guess that's how it interpretted "Wednesdays" after syncing). I then tapped Delete, tapped Delete Entire Series, and got back to my task list with the new task having been deleted.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "I am unable to pull up the details of [my task]". Does that mean that the task appears in your task list but doesn't respond you tapping on it? I've not come across that behaviour before. Or does it mean that the task doesn't appear in your task list? (In which case are you really sure the task has been entered successfully?) Again, if you can provide more details so that I can see the problem for myself I can provide more help.

But meanwhile, it's useful to know that rememberthemilk.com always provides another way to access, edit and delete your tasks.

Nik
    I have never synced the app with Remember The Milk, so I don't have an account to log into to delete the task. It sounds like you followed the same steps I did to create the task. Right now it is listed in my list of tasks and has the round-arrow recurrence symbol. If I tap on the task, it highlights to show that it is interpreting my tap, but the details of the task don't come up. It just remains in the list. I can tap on it many times and nothing happens except the row highlighting. I have tried closing/reopening the app and restarting the phone, but the task is still there and I cannot edit it. Not sure what's going on.
  10.    #30  
    Hi WillJitsu

Thanks for the information. I will look into what happens when you don't have a RTM account set up.

In the meantime I would recommend that you do indeed sign up to RTM. The app is designed to sync with RTM, and tasks which are deleted or completed from the app stay in your phone's database until they are synced. Only then will they be deleted from the database. So there will be a (small) build-up of tasks until you sync. Syncing with RTM also provides backup for your tasks, just in case you have to delete the app temporarily or you lose your phone.
    Thanks for the info. I created an account on RTM and synced it. I was then able to delete the troublesome task. All is good now.
  12.    #32  
    I've updated the app to version 1.0.3 which fixes the problem that WillJitsu found (and one or two others that were thrown up along the way, all related to what happens when syncing doesn't take place).
    great app thanks!
    +1 for the ability to add time due to tasks (can't seem to find this in the options when adding tasks)
    thanks for this app. It works well, but one bug I've found is that in the main list the day of the week display is off by one day. If I select the item and look at the details they are correct.

for example, a task due tonight displays as "tomorrow" in the list and a task due sun shows up as due monday.

doesn't affect any functionality, just thought I would point that out.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Nice App! Thanks!
    What about a sync button?
    List support would be great, too!
  16.    #36  
    @quiksilver:

This kind of thing is a common problem people find with Remember The Milk applications. The solution is to make sure that the phone's timezone and country are both exactly the same as your RTM timezone and country. Once you've done that you may need to adjust some of the due dates as this may have bumped them around a bit.

I certainly hope that's the solution. If not it's very odd -- it's such a visible problem I'm surprised one-one has reported it before..

@michote:

You can sync at any time by going to the application menu (top left) and tapping on "Sync Now". I chose not to put it as a button on the main screen because I wanted to maximise the visibility of your tasks. The app will also sync (if it can) every time you make you a change to a task.

I admit list support is definitely the most requested feature, though to be honest I'm trying to spend a bit more time on (a) fixing bugs that people raise, and (b) getting used to having my evenings back ;-)
    I was reading all posts and I was to surprised that one-one had reported the problem with the date.

Thanks for the solution, nik.silver

But now I've the same timezone and country and the solution looks no good.
    Last edited by palmisoletano; 04/21/2010 at 01:02 PM.
    @quiksilver:

This kind of thing is a common problem people find with Remember The Milk applications. The solution is to make sure that the phone's timezone and country are both exactly the same as your RTM timezone and country. Once you've done that you may need to adjust some of the due dates as this may have bumped them around a bit.

I certainly hope that's the solution. If not it's very odd -- it's such a visible problem I'm surprised one-one has reported it before..

@michote:

You can sync at any time by going to the application menu (top left) and tapping on "Sync Now". I chose not to put it as a button on the main screen because I wanted to maximise the visibility of your tasks. The app will also sync (if it can) every time you make you a change to a task.

I admit list support is definitely the most requested feature, though to be honest I'm trying to spend a bit more time on (a) fixing bugs that people raise, and (b) getting used to having my evenings back ;-)
    I verified that both the timezone on my RTM account and the Pre are both set to Central time and they were both correct.

It appears that this issue is only present on tasks that have a time in them. The time due was set in the web version of RTM. The tasks that are presenting the issue all have a time due of 8 PM.

If i look at the details of the task in CT, it shows the appropriate date, but in list view it is off (forward) one day.

Hope that made sense.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver View Post
    I verified that both the timezone on my RTM account and the Pre are both set to Central time and they were both correct.

It appears that this issue is only present on tasks that have a time in them. The time due was set in the web version of RTM. The tasks that are presenting the issue all have a time due of 8 PM.

If i look at the details of the task in CT, it shows the appropriate date, but in list view it is off (forward) one day.
    Thanks for all that info -- I'll look into it.
    very nice looking. I might have to do homebrew again, though, a bit hesitant on that.

any chance this might see it's way into one of the web distribution channels? and maybe getting support for different task lists
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast