1.    #1  
    Tiddlywiki for webOS v1.0.6

Excerpt from the original TiddlyWiki developers:

TiddlyWiki is a single-file, self-contained wiki for managing micro-content, written in JavaScript.

A complete TiddlyWiki is stored in a single file on your computer, and thus belongs to the class of Single Page Applications. That makes it super-easy to move your TiddlyWiki around on a USB stick or by emailing it to yourself.

The single file that is a TiddlyWiki contains not only all of your data, but all the machinery to edit and manipulate it. All you need is a modern web browser, like Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer. You don't need to have any other special programs installed on your computer, and you don't need to be connected to the Internet.

The same TiddlyWiki file will work on just about any computer: Windows PCs, Apple Macs, Linux and BSD boxes..
    Now, based on the work done by Bidix, who ported tiddlywiki to the iPhone, I was able to port it to the Palm Pre WebOS.

Changelog
    1.0.6 - added swipe back gesture support

1.0.3 - fixed the installer (postinst script) which didn't install the actual wiki file to the lighttpd docroot on the usb drive (sic).

1.0.2 - missed updated cgi in 1.0.1

1.0.1 - added help, enhanced about, added on-device restore feature

1.0.0 - initial public test release

Screenshots:

Start Screen

Viewing a tiddler

Saving to disk:

Landscape View:

Description

The major quirk I had was saving the wiki. Usually, tiddlywiki uses some inline javascript hacks, specific for most browsers, to save itself to disk. However, this doesn't work on webOS, because you cannot access the filesystem from javascript there directly. Strictly. I assume the palm guys have read the specs...

Fortunately tiddlywiki has a plugin which supports uploading the wiki to some remote webserver. They even deliver the required PHP scripts which take the uploaded wiki file and store it. But you guess - there's no PHP on webOS as well. And no perl. And no python. But there's WIDK, which made it possible to write a CGI uploader in C++ and cross compile it for Pre's arm7 (and Pixies arm6 as well) architecture.

How it works

So, here is how it works: Tiddlywiki for Palm Pre consits of three parts: a launcher app, the actual wiki file and the uploader. The uploader requires "lighttpd" to be installed, which is available by Preware.

During app installation, the wiki file and the uploader will be installed to the documentroot of lighttpd, which is by default the directory www/ on your USB drive.

If you start the app, it just launches a WebView widget which itself just fires the wiki file (the browser doesn't support viewing local html files!). Straight simple.

If you tap the "Save" button, the wiki will not be written to disk (as other tiddlywiki implementations does) but instead it connects to localhost port 80 (lighttpd) and posts itself from memory to the uploader, which saves it then on the usb disk. If you close the app and open it later, all your changes will be there.

Beside this, the uploader also creates backups on every save under the backup/ directory (below "www").

Features

In general, Tiddlywiki for Palm Pre shares most features of other tiddlywiki implementations, especially:

* you can write tiddlers, save and delete them

* tiddlers can also be imported using the ImportTiddlers plugin (reach it via Menu => Commands => ImportTiddlers)

* you may even import tiddlers from another TiddlyWiki (remote only!)

* you may download the wikifile (USB drive:www/itw.html) to your desktop computer and open it there in firefox or safari, edit it there, save it and copy it back to the palm!

* you are always on the save side! If you brick your wiki, you can restore the last working backup copy out the backup/ directory

* if you turn your phone, the wiki turns as well, so landscape viewing is no problem

* you can use the "swipe back" gesture to navigate inside tiddlywiki to go to the previous displayed tiddler

--------

Project Homepage
    German support forum

-------
    Last edited by debilater; 12/22/2010 at 02:00 AM.
    Thanks for porting this! I already looked into it myself, but didn't get it to work. I could open the wiki but not save anything as you described.
    I noticed it in Preware this morning and installed the app straight away. Unfortunately I only get a white screen. Lighty web server is running. A reset of my Pre didn't help either.
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    Downloaded the iTW file (iTW - a TiddlyWiki for iPhone) and stored it in the www folder. It shows up when I open the app, but I can't save unfortunately.
    I'll just wait for an update.
    [url]
    Thanks. I've been waiting for this.
    So now how do I get a GTD TiddlyWiki running on the Pre?!
    Last edited by odontastic; 03/06/2010 at 01:21 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hz-R View Post
    Downloaded the iTW file (iTW - a TiddlyWiki for iPhone) and stored it in the www folder. It shows up when I open the app, but I can't save unfortunately.
    I'll just wait for an update.
    Of course you can't. That's why I made a package with a modified itw.html file which uses the UploadTiddlerPlugin to save it to localhost.
    Quote Originally Posted by debilater View Post
    Of course you can't. That's why I made a package with a modified itw.html file which uses the UploadTiddlerPlugin to save it to localhost.
    I understood that. After installing the app from Preware there was no itw.html in my www folder. Since I just got a white screen in the app I tried it with the other itw file as test, and the app recognized it, so I knew it must be another problem.
    Afterwards I read on your site that the Preware package isn't finished yet, only manual installation.
    [url]
  7.    #7  
    Had you executed the postinst script (Preware asks for permission to do so, this step is required)? If not, you may copy it manually:

Code:
    # cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/de.daemon.tiddlywiki/
    # cp cgi-bin/savetiddlywiki.cgi share/itw.html /media/internal/www/
    update

If the postinst script didn't run, there's more stuff missing, you might consider running it completely manually:

Code:
    # mount -o remount,rw /
    # sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/de.daemon.tiddlywiki.postinst
    # mount -o remount,ro /
    Last edited by debilater; 03/07/2010 at 02:03 PM.
    Installed it, let the post-install run, but still get a blank screen?
    Installed the latest from Preware yesterday and also let the scripts run. Still getting a blank page when opening it on my Pre.

Hope you can get this fixed soon. It will be a very cool resource when its fixed! Thanks!
    CTSLICK
    Rock ON!
    This is working fine for me. I did need to run the postinst script manually.
    Crud, haven't messed at the command line for my Pre. No time to figure this out

Wonder...will it always (or at least for the foreseeable future) require a manual install or will the author be able update the install to include this?
    CTSLICK
    Rock ON!
  12.    #12  
    Ok, this was indeed a bug in the postinst script, which just didn't install the actual wiki file (d'oh!). I fixed it and updated the app to version 1.0.3 (available via preware).

Please note, that when you already have a wiki file in place it will not be overwritten by the installer, instead it places an empty wiki file as "default.html" in the www/ directory.
    Brilliant, v1.0.3 worked. Hope to spend some time with this tonight. Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by debilater View Post
    Ok, this was indeed a bug in the postinst script, which just didn't install the actual wiki file (d'oh!). I fixed it and updated the app to version 1.0.3 (available via preware).

Please note, that when you already have a wiki file in place it will not be overwritten by the installer, instead it places an empty wiki file as "default.html" in the www/ directory.
    CTSLICK
    Rock ON!
    Awesome! I just updated to the latest version and now it runs perfectly.
    Finally a really flexible note taking/tsk tool for WebOS.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Been checking out the main web site, looks like a good tool - and it's been ported to WebOS!

Thank you!!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I've had this installed on my Pixi+ for a few days and just started digging into it today. It seems like a pretty useful app, but a couple things i've noticed: the exclamation (!) and the parentheses (" ") don't work, so i can't do headers or bold text. All other formatting works as advertised. Any ideas why these keys don't work, or even better how to fix them?
    I'd rather not have my Pre be an open webserver. What would people say is the best way to block non-localhost usage? I'm thinking set dport 80 to drop in iptables and set the lighttpd conf to only respond to 127.0.0.1

I found some code for the conf file but it doesn't work. Anyone have a link to a tutorial for this version of lighttpd? And does anyone know which init level of /etc/ has the iptables config?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post
    I'd rather not have my Pre be an open webserver. What would people say is the best way to block non-localhost usage?
    Code:
    server.bind = "127.0.0.1"
    server.port = 80
  19.    #19  
    Updated to version 1.0.6, which adds support for the "swipe back" gesture in Tiddlywiki. The wiki file itself needs a plugin for this to work. If you are already using the app and don't want to start from scratch, follow the instructions here:

Add swipe back gesture support to existing tiddlywiki file
    I recently noticed the ! problem, too (just got around to checking the forum to see if it was addressed).

My workaround was to copy the ! from the Help tiddler. Today I discovered you can type those characters in the tiddler name field, from there one can cut n' paste it into the tiddler's edit field. Alternatively, a template tiddler of sorts could be made (until this is resolved).

The other thing I noticed was that links do not work. They are underlined and recognised as such, but nothing happens when they are "clicked"...

Has anyone successfully used a link from the wiki to go on the web?

-rayraypre