Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have uploaded a new game: Pribbage! This is a version of cribbage for webOS. Right now it is available through the official app store and the homebrew connection. It is, and always will be free. Here are the links to download the app:

Official app store link

Homebrew link

Any requests or suggestions are always welcome!

--
    Recent Changes:
    • 0.3.14:
      • Minor tweaks and bugfixes.
      • Corrected double-skunk behavior.
      • Added option to review final board positioning.
    • 0.3.18:
      • New stat model for players. Allows better analysis of saved statistics. Replaces old data (sorry).
      • Stat graphs for players can be found in the player stat screen and tapping on the player stat window. Two graphs show cumulative distribution of hand and crib scores over series of games.
      • Started working on DB save/restore.
    • 0.3.22:
      • Two more stat graphs for player stats: dealer and pone score distributions.
      • Added probability of score distribution to graphs for reference.
      • Improved data save and refresh algorithm.
    • 0.3.24:
      • Tweaks to game-play.
      • Cleaned up localization (excuse my French!)
    Last edited by bertoid; 11/18/2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: updating Changelog.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bertoid View Post
    I am in the process of uploading a new game: Pribbage! This is a version of cribbage for webOS. I will post more details when it's available and I can put links into my posts.
    Love me some cribbage!
    Yes!! I'm currently playing on Classic and hating it. A WebOS version would be very welcome.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Ah, well... looks like it was accepted into the official apps catalog, too! I guess this can act as the place for complaints and requests... the homebrew version will be a beta for new features, in this case...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Here's the link to the entry in the app catalog:
    Pribbage.
    I have been playing all day...very nice. I have been waiting for this since June. Now I need a gin rummy game and I will not need Classic any longer.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Great App; played all evening
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I missed Cribbage from my old PalmOS days, overall, it looks pretty good, and plays fine, but there are some issues, IMO:

1. Bug: I had a scoring bug in the first game I played (see attached image). I should have received the point for the go, as I played the last card.

2. There are way too many taps in different places around the screen. It's just hard to actually play the game. A single "continue" button would be better IMO, or maybe accept keyboard input "hit return" to continue.

3. Changing which cards to throw into the crib if I accidentally choose the wrong one is counter intuitive. tapping a selected card should unselect it.

4 Feature suggestion: Make stats cumulative for all games played and keep track of games won/lost.

5. Feature suggestion: add an auto-continue mode. I don't want to worry about tapping to cut, tapping to deal, confirming all the scoring, etc.

6. Feature suggestion: add a "learning/teaching" mode where it requires the user to enter in the points scored before continuing. I, personally, wouldn't use this, but that's the way I learned to score cribbage originally.

7. suggestion: In the scoring feed, I'd list cutting the jack to give "two for his heels" and having the matching jack in hand/crib gives "one for his nobs."

8. suggestion: Speed up the deal. there's no particular reason that shouldn't be instantaneous.

All in all, it's a great start. Thanks for doing this!

-alan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    I missed Cribbage from my old PalmOS days, overall, it looks pretty good, and plays fine, but there are some issues, IMO:

1. Bug: I had a scoring bug in the first game I played (see attached image). I should have received the point for the go, as I played the last card.

2. There are way too many taps in different places around the screen. It's just hard to actually play the game. A single "continue" button would be better IMO, or maybe accept keyboard input "hit return" to continue.

3. Changing which cards to throw into the crib if I accidentally choose the wrong one is counter intuitive. tapping a selected card should unselect it.

4 Feature suggestion: Make stats cumulative for all games played and keep track of games won/lost.

5. Feature suggestion: add an auto-continue mode. I don't want to worry about tapping to cut, tapping to deal, confirming all the scoring, etc.

6. Feature suggestion: add a "learning/teaching" mode where it requires the user to enter in the points scored before continuing. I, personally, wouldn't use this, but that's the way I learned to score cribbage originally.

7. suggestion: In the scoring feed, I'd list cutting the jack to give "two for his heels" and having the matching jack in hand/crib gives "one for his nobs."

8. suggestion: Speed up the deal. there's no particular reason that shouldn't be instantaneous.

-alan

I totally agree with your points..I have a few additional suggestions
    1. Show the current point totals right next to the cards. Sometimes its hard to follow where you are with the scrolling commentary

2. Can you provide a little more obvious indication that you are restarting from 0 again? i.e. it seems like you have slightly less of a card overlap when you reset to 0, but its not always obvious

3. I know you stated that the AI was lacking, but I actually see some pretty bad behavior sometimes. e.g. the running total was at 21 and the Pre played an 8 to go to 29...then later in the turn, played a 10... shouldn't it have played the 10 to get to 31?

4. Also, any way to make the scoring a little clearer... maybe a splash screen that shows X points for a fifteen, Y points for a flush, etc..

Again, don't want to sound ungrateful because i love the game, it just needs some polishing!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Hi Alan! Thanks for the feedback. It's a huge help and as much as possible, I'll work in some of these suggestions (many of which I also have thought about, but not yet implemented). As to this scoring bug... that's weird. I'm not sure why it did that, but will investigate further. Also, please excuse the madness of the split-up quoting, but it'll help to address your points one at a time...

I like the idea of a keyboard 'continue'. The reason I chose the taps all over, as I did, was to keep the attention on the whole screen, rather than just having one button to continuously press. That's just my preference, and I think that allowing a spacebar tap, deck stack tap, etc, would be a nice way to allow different means of achieving the same ends, but that would accommodate different views on how to get there. Was that diplomatic enough?

Yes. A very good point, and I've been meaning to put that in.

If you notice on the final score page, there is a command menu button for stats that is not functioning yet. That page, at some undisclosed point in the future, will operate and give lots of cumulative stats. That's my dream, any ways...

Excellent idea! And that would fit in nicely with an options page that is currently in the works.

Manual scoring (along with optional muggins) is also in the works and will be incorporated into an options page to turn on or off.

I'll take it into consideration.

-alan
    Yeah, I was hoping to have some fancy dealing graphics and bells and whistles crap, but it's not working as well as I'd like. Alas. With the lag build-up, it gets pretty bogged down, although 1.4 is slightly better. Anyway, it's definitely worth rethinking the way the cards are dealt. If I can reduce the lag with different graphics or some other trick, it should speed up pretty well.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback! It's a great help and I'll try to keep all these points in mind...

Cheers!
    -bert-
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I totally agree with your points..I have a few additional suggestions
    1. Show the current point totals right next to the cards. Sometimes its hard to follow where you are with the scrolling commentary
    Hi Audemars!

I agree with this point. At one point in an early incarnation, there was a score bar just above the board, but it was removed to make some space. I'll have to figure out a good way to work the running count back in to be more obvious, which should also address your next point, right?

2. Can you provide a little more obvious indication that you are restarting from 0 again? i.e. it seems like you have slightly less of a card overlap when you reset to 0, but its not always obvious
    With a more obvious running total of the count, this should be taken care of. I'll try to come up with a good way to do that... and it's definitely something worth putting in, since half the time I find myself squinting to see what the last count was. Kinda silly, huh?

3. I know you stated that the AI was lacking, but I actually see some pretty bad behavior sometimes. e.g. the running total was at 21 and the Pre played an 8 to go to 29...then later in the turn, played a 10... shouldn't it have played the 10 to get to 31?
    I think I know why it's doing that, and you're right, it is bad behavior. Should be an easy fix with just looping through the playable cards more thoroughly. Should do that now, but seems to only do what I tell it to and not what I want it to.

4. Also, any way to make the scoring a little clearer... maybe a splash screen that shows X points for a fifteen, Y points for a flush, etc..

Again, don't want to sound ungrateful because i love the game, it just needs some polishing!
    The most recent update, which is out for review, will make the scoring a bit larger font and bolder. If that's not sufficient, I'll have to resort to other means, although I haven't got any good ideas on that. Anyway, there's plenty of other work to do in the meantime, so something is bound to come up!

I'm very happy that you're enjoying the game! I agree it needs a lot of polishing, and with great feedback like this, I think I'll be able to address the most problematic areas soonest.

Cheers!
    -bert-
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Oh and one other thing... bringing up the application or system menus is really, really slow as it greys out the background. That seems like there's something wrong there....
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Oh and one other thing... bringing up the application or system menus is really, really slow as it greys out the background. That seems like there's something wrong there....
    I think that is tied in with the overall lag of the game, which is probably due to the card and pegging sprites and how they are set up. If I can fix the overall lag, it should take care of this as well. That will probably be the next milestone for the game (i.e., ver. 0.3.0 or so), but will take some time.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Love the game, much smoother after the recent update, I did have a pretty large scoring error though. See attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Great updates - much smoother.

Looking forward to the maul scoring

Thansk
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiiski View Post
    Love the game, much smoother after the recent update, I did have a pretty large scoring error though. See attachment.
    Glad you're enjoying it!

As to the error... maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but I'm not seeing any problem. Looks like a standard double run for 8 (8-9-10 + 8-9-10 + 8-8).
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Glad you're enjoying it!

As to the error... maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but I'm not seeing any problem. Looks like a standard double run for 8 (8-9-10 + 8-9-10 + 8-8).
    Sorry, my goof, wrong screenshot. What had happened, was on the computers previous hand (the Q432 and 10) which you can still see on the screenshot did score as a 7, but had pegged 14. So, not only did I post the wrong screen, I used bad terminology, AND didn't double check my post, WHAT A MAROON!
    Still all in all, great to have crib on my phone, and thank you for putting your time and energy into this. For free no less.
    Thanks,
    Kiiski
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiiski View Post
    Sorry, my goof, wrong screenshot. What had happened, was on the computers previous hand (the Q432 and 10) which you can still see on the screenshot did score as a 7, but had pegged 14. So, not only did I post the wrong screen, I used bad terminology, AND didn't double check my post, WHAT A MAROON!
    Still all in all, great to have crib on my phone, and thank you for putting your time and energy into this. For free no less.
    Thanks,
    Kiiski
    Ha! No problem! Not sure why it double pegged, and I haven't seen that in any of my games. A lot of the play code is pretty convoluted, so it's not unlikely that such a thing could happen intermittently. I'll keep an eye on it...

Cheers!
    -bert-
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I just uploaded a new version to the homebrew catalog with lots of updates and new features (e.g., 5-card cribbage, 61-point games, manual scoring, etc). I also moved everything over to canvas elements for the graphics, and it's all significantly faster! And there are now player stats that show #s of games and wins/losses, points per hand, etc.

As this is a beta version, please let me know how it works and whether there are needed changes...

Cheers!
    -b-
    I just uploaded a new version to the homebrew catalog ...
    Just updated it and off to play! Thanks for all your hard work on this, it is an EXCELLENT app!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast