Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Just updated it and off to play! Thanks for all your hard work on this, it is an EXCELLENT app!!!
    YIKES! First game with the updated version not good!! The Dealer had 4 hands in a row that were 20 points, and one that was 12. That along with the cribs and pegging led to a double skunk. Hope this is not something inherent in this version...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    YIKES! First game with the updated version not good!! The Dealer had 4 hands in a row that were 20 points, and one that was 12. That along with the cribs and pegging led to a double skunk. Hope this is not something inherent in this version...
    Yow. Yeah, that can happen. But no, it's not inherent in the game, unless your Palm has achieved sentience and is manipulating the random number generator.

Anyway, play a few games and then have a look at the stats. The average score per hand and/or crib should settle out to something reasonable for each (usually about 7.5-8.5 points for hands). If you want further assurance, I've run some simulations on hands and point distributions, using over 10 million hands: http://chickenbee.net/pribbage/results10M.html
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Thanks for your work on this app.

I'm downloading the update now.

So far my only complaint is that the computer seems to win a lot, but that is likely just due to some luck. I have noticed that at certain points of the game the computer will just happen to get a great hand.

Like when I counted first to get to 119 and then the computer had the mystical 24 point hand and then a 10 point crib to hit 121 on the nose.

I almost threw my Pre when that happened.

Great game though and thanks for the continuous updates.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Love the game! Thanks!! I'm now teaching it to some friends ... but we need a point scorer (I'm now too used to not needing to count up the points myself!) ...

I've seen a couple of poor gameplay choices for the computer that relate to the computer having the last two cards to play, but still playing defensively. In the first instance, I play my last card out (J) and the computer plays two final cards of K-J, instead of J-K. Similarly on another hand, after I've played a 5 as my last card to total 14, the computer played 10-5 instead of 5-10.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    Love the game! Thanks!! I'm now teaching it to some friends ... but we need a point scorer (I'm now too used to not needing to count up the points myself!) ...

I've seen a couple of poor gameplay choices for the computer that relate to the computer having the last two cards to play, but still playing defensively. In the first instance, I play my last card out (J) and the computer plays two final cards of K-J, instead of J-K. Similarly on another hand, after I've played a 5 as my last card to total 14, the computer played 10-5 instead of 5-10.
    I agree about the defensive playing at the end. It drives me crazy, and the next released version (not the one that just came out today, v0.3.2) will have changes to make the computer realize that the player has no more cards. Or should, I'll make sure it's working before I release a new one. The main goal for the next version will be to take care of improving play, etc, and I'll try to make the computer a bit smarter about it's choices. No ETA on that though, as spring and summer pull me away from the computer to play outside.

On the first point, there is manual scoring available. Or... let me know if that's not what you mean.

-bert-
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Manual scoring is good practice, but I'm so used to the auto-scoring that I need an app that can snap a pic of the cards and auto-score for me!

A suggestion for the manual scoring mode: allow manual for all the hands, since that will double the learning opportunity; alternatively, if you have both manual scoring and auto-scoring on, you would manually score your own but then it would auto-score the computer without the extra taps.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Manual scoring is good practice, but I'm so used to the auto-scoring that I need an app that can snap a pic of the cards and auto-score for me!
    A fine idea, but most likely beyond my programming abilities.

A suggestion for the manual scoring mode: allow manual for all the hands, since that will double the learning opportunity; alternatively, if you have both manual scoring and auto-scoring on, you would manually score your own but then it would auto-score the computer without the extra taps.
    I think the alternative plan is where it will end up going. I have had similar thoughts on the subject, after realizing that manual and automatic scoring are not mutually exclusive. Too many balls in the air at times, but it'll get fixed eventually.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Love the game, very appreciative. Is there any way we could get a two player option?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wohldmad View Post
    Love the game, very appreciative. Is there any way we could get a two player option?
    I'm glad you like it! Unfortunately, a multiplayer option is not *ahem* in the cards at the moment. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

If it does happen (and this would be way down the line), would you prefer a pass-and-play approach, or a through-the-tubes style?
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I have a question about scoring: Say I've got 3 cards left (say 9-K-Q) and the computer has played its last card (say a T), so it's a count of 10 on the board. I can create no points, so I play K-Q to make it 30. At this point, who should get the point for "go"? Based upon my reading of the rules, it seems like it should be me. And then I would also get another point for last card. Based upon play in Pribbage, the computer seems to get the point for the "go" at 30, before I receive the point for last card. Have I read the rules wrong?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have a question about scoring: Say I've got 3 cards left (say 9-K-Q) and the computer has played its last card (say a T), so it's a count of 10 on the board. I can create no points, so I play K-Q to make it 30. At this point, who should get the point for "go"? Based upon my reading of the rules, it seems like it should be me. And then I would also get another point for last card. Based upon play in Pribbage, the computer seems to get the point for the "go" at 30, before I receive the point for last card. Have I read the rules wrong?
    Ah, good question, and something that I was unsure of for a long time. When 'go' is called, the last player to play a card is the one who gets a point. So, in your case, you played the last card, called 'go', and then played your 9, taking the point for 'go' and then one for last card. In earlier versions of the game, I had the rule implemented incorrectly due to my misunderstanding of the 'go' rule, but it should be correct now, after version 0.3.7.
    Quote Originally Posted by bertoid View Post
    Ah, good question, and something that I was unsure of for a long time. When 'go' is called, the last player to play a card is the one who gets a point. So, in your case, you played the last card, called 'go', and then played your 9, taking the point for 'go' and then one for last card. In earlier versions of the game, I had the rule implemented incorrectly due to my misunderstanding of the 'go' rule, but it should be correct now, after version 0.3.7.
    I think this is now correct. Check out this site: Rules of Cribbage

Basicaly, when a player calls a "go" (i.e. can't play a card), the opponent gets the point. Then, if the player can play ANOTHER card, they also can get the point for last card or (2 for a 31). But, it's clear that "Only one of these scores can be earned with the play of a single card.".. So, if the player could NOT play another card in that example, he would still only get one point for the go/last card, not 2. makes sense?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this game -- it is awesome!

One surprise feature I found yesterday. I have it set to auto-score and auto-deal. I thought I saw an error in the scoring but the information scrolled away in the little text "bubble" so quickly, I couldn't read it. I said "Dang, I wish you could scroll that little window up just by touching like 'this'." And guess what? It scrolled right up -- AWESOME!! Granted I couldn't see the cards that made up that score (might be a future option?), but I was amazed!!

One problem I have been encountering lately. After completing a game if I select the "See the Stats" button instead "Play New Game", it goes to the screen that says "Loading Data, please wait..." and never comes back to show the game data, its like it completely locks the game up. Just a minor annoyance though as I usually only get time to play one game.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Basicaly, when a player calls a "go" (i.e. can't play a card), the opponent gets the point. Then, if the player can play ANOTHER card, they also can get the point for last card or (2 for a 31). But, it's clear that "Only one of these scores can be earned with the play of a single card.".. So, if the player could NOT play another card in that example, he would still only get one point for the go/last card, not 2. makes sense?
    Exactly. I'm pretty sure that everything is doing what it should now. Please let me know if you notice any bad behavior, though!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this game -- it is awesome!

One surprise feature I found yesterday. I have it set to auto-score and auto-deal. I thought I saw an error in the scoring but the information scrolled away in the little text "bubble" so quickly, I couldn't read it. I said "Dang, I wish you could scroll that little window up just by touching like 'this'." And guess what? It scrolled right up -- AWESOME!! Granted I couldn't see the cards that made up that score (might be a future option?), but I was amazed!!
    Glad to hear it! I'll think on how to make old hands available for review, but that's something for a later date... good idea, though!

One problem I have been encountering lately. After completing a game if I select the "See the Stats" button instead "Play New Game", it goes to the screen that says "Loading Data, please wait..." and never comes back to show the game data, its like it completely locks the game up. Just a minor annoyance though as I usually only get time to play one game.
    Yeah, the database gets bogged down if you have too many games in storage. Not sure why that is, but as a temporary fix (until I can get the database stuff working better), you can go to the options page and hit the "Purge Game Stats" button to clear that table. Then any future games will come up more quickly. I think that if there's more than about 10 games in the table, it slows WAAAY down. This is definitely a big problem, and I'll hopefully have a better fix in the near future.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bertoid View Post
    Yes, this looks fixed now. I basically learned Cribbage from your game, so I wasn't sure if I had read the rules right! Thanks again for a great game!
    First off love the game I've ran my Pre's battery dead several times playing. I did notice one thing in version 3.11 though with scoring. I'll attempt to explain the best I can. It appears that after 15 points the auto scoring starts to miss points. I didn't really think much of it but lately I noticed that it's kinda one sided. The pc score always seems dead on, I say seems due to I'm not 100% on scoring hands yet. My score seems to miss every now and again. Example the last game I played I had a 5, Jack (spade), Queen, King, the flip was a Queen (spade). Now someone please correct my scoring if I'm wrong I count this as 19. 8 for 15s, 8 for double run, 2 for pair of Queens. 1 for noobs. The game auto scored for 17, it didn't add my pair of queens. It has done this on other games that's why I think it's an issue with scores greater then 15. What I don't know is if there is a common thread ie. Pairs with the flipped card, or maybe when you have noobs etc. Otherwise game seems solid and is a joy to play great job. Sorry it's one big long paragraph I'm typing this from my pre.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekiel_gml View Post
    First off love the game I've ran my Pre's battery dead several times playing. I did notice one thing in version 3.11 though with scoring. I'll attempt to explain the best I can. It appears that after 15 points the auto scoring starts to miss points. I didn't really think much of it but lately I noticed that it's kinda one sided. The pc score always seems dead on, I say seems due to I'm not 100% on scoring hands yet. My score seems to miss every now and again. Example the last game I played I had a 5, Jack (spade), Queen, King, the flip was a Queen (spade). Now someone please correct my scoring if I'm wrong I count this as 19. 8 for 15s, 8 for double run, 2 for pair of Queens. 1 for noobs. The game auto scored for 17, it didn't add my pair of queens. It has done this on other games that's why I think it's an issue with scores greater then 15. What I don't know is if there is a common thread ie. Pairs with the flipped card, or maybe when you have noobs etc. Otherwise game seems solid and is a joy to play great job. Sorry it's one big long paragraph I'm typing this from my pre.
    No, your hand was auto-scored correctly. You're misunderstanding the point counts for double runs. A double run where you have 2 runs of 3 cards is counted as 8 because it is composed of 3 for the 1st run of J-Q-K, 3 for the 2nd run of J-Q-K, and 2 for the pair of Q-Q, so when it shows "8 for double run", it already includes the pair.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    No, your hand was auto-scored correctly. You're misunderstanding the point counts for double runs. A double run where you have 2 runs of 3 cards is counted as 8 because it is composed of 3 for the 1st run of J-Q-K, 3 for the 2nd run of J-Q-K, and 2 for the pair of Q-Q, so when it shows "8 for double run", it already includes the pair.
    This is exactly how the game scores double, triple (e.g., A-A-A-2-3 for 15 points), and double-double runs (e.g., A-A-2-2-3 for 16 points): the pairs are automatically included with the straights in the total score for the sake of brevity.

Thanks for the clear explanation, tc600!
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Hmmm, this latest version has been really tough, but I just noticed two mistakes in play.

In the first example, the computer held A-2-3-3 and I held J-Q-K-K. I played K for 10, and an A was played back for 11. I played K for 21, and a 3 was played back for 24. After I had to give a go, the computer played 2 for 25 and 3 for 28 (instead of first playing the 3 for a pair and 26).

In the second example, I held 4-4-10-10 and the computer had 2-3-4-4. I started with 4, then a 4 was played back for a pair and 8. I played 4 for royal 6 and 12, but the 3 was played for 15 instead of 4 for the double pair royal.

I don't know if I really should be bringing this up since I need every edge I can get nowadays. With this latest version I'm just under .500 against the computer.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast