Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Just released version 1.0.0004. This version has a lot of new and useful features:

• I solved the number input for Monkey Island 2 (Copy protection stuff) by mapping the meta-tap (Holding down the gesture area) to the alt-key. Normally the orange key is mapped to alt in SDL applications (Which is really a bad default). So now you can use the physical keyboard to enter numbers as you know it from any other app.
    • Right-clicking is now possible by holding down the gesture area (meta-tap) and tapping the screen (Wherever you want to right-click). I tested it in Monkey Island 2 (Where right-clicking on an object performs the default action instead of walking to it) and with Monkey Island 3 (Where it opens the inventory). I hope it works well in other games, too. Haven't tried The Dig yet.
    • I have enabled the virtual keyboard. It can be opened by tapping the screen with two fingers (they must be a little bit apart or otherwise the phone thinks you just have a big finger)
    • I have enabled the keymapper feature of scummvm. You can open the remap dialog with the "@" key on the physical keyboard. In this dialog you can change the mapping of some of the main features of ScummVM.

Ah damn, just forgot one thing: If you UPDATE the ScummVM app from 1.0.0003 to 1.0.0004 then these new keymappings are not active... Haven't thought of that. It can be fixed by uninstalling the app first and then installing it from scratch. But you have to re-add all your games then. Savegames are not affected.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayahr View Post
    Ah damn, just forgot one thing: If you UPDATE the ScummVM app from 1.0.0003 to 1.0.0004 then these new keymappings are not active...
    Ok, I fixed this in Version 1.0.0005. So if you are upgrading from 1.0.0003 to 1.0.0005 then everything should work fine. If you were unlucky and received 1.0.0004 and already started it (which writes wrong keymappings to the config file) then after upgrading again you will at least be able to open the virtual keyboard with a two-finger-tap. Do this, click the F8 key by using the virtual keyboard and then you can correct the keymappings as you like. Another alternative to fix it is removing all keymappings from the scummvmrc file in the app directory. When you then start ScummVM again then the start script automatically adds the correct default keymappings.
    This is great... been waiting for a long time

Anwyays, I've seen a few screenshots that have the verbs on the screen... is this something that some games have? or is it a scummvm feature I don't know how to turn on? I hate typing "look" all the time

also, is there a way to control the character using key movements? I've gotten stuck on KQ2 where I can't find the exit from a room because I can't click on the right place with my finger... being able to invoke a AWSD keymap would be very useful in those cases (up down left right is all we need).

Thanks again!

Art
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    Great job. Its pretty rare that I see a developer actually look at feedback and find a way to implement EVERYTHING. Very impressive.
    Wow, that was fast.
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by bioart View Post
    Anwyays, I've seen a few screenshots that have the verbs on the screen... is this something that some games have? or is it a scummvm feature I don't know how to turn on? I hate typing "look" all the time
    Typing "look"? I don't know ALL of the games which can be played in ScummVM. I usually play Lucasarts adventures with it and in these games you never type commands, you always click them. So if the game you are playing is played by typing commands then you have to live with it, I think. This is game-dependent and not ScummVM-dependent.

also, is there a way to control the character using key movements? I've gotten stuck on KQ2 where I can't find the exit from a room because I can't click on the right place with my finger... being able to invoke a AWSD keymap would be very useful in those cases (up down left right is all we need).
    Yes, I agree. That would be nice. But it's not easy. The only way I see is mapping four keys (Like I, L, K and M) to it. But this conflicts with hotkeys defined by some games (Like opening the inventory with I). Or if you play games where you type full commands then you could no longer do this when I map these four keys to something different. Using a modifier key plus these four keys is also not nice because then you normally want to use both hands for pressing these shortcuts and this is just silly for a landscape application...

But I have one idea (Don't know if it is easy to implement though): It still requires the physical keyboard, but it is much easier to use: When the Shift-Key is pressed while touching the screen then no click is performed and instead only the mouse cursor is moved. Another goodie: The tap position could be completely ignored and only the finger movement is added to the current mouse pointer position. This allows movement of the mouse cursor without always resetting it to the tap position (Where your finger hides the mouse cursor). so this is similiar to the text cursor movement in WebOS. After you have positioned the mouse cursor you could press the enter key on the keyboard for left-clicking (Or meta-tap + Enter for right click). I know, this all involves using the physical keyboard but I'm out of options. Back- and forward gesture and meta-tap is already occupied. I even used two-finger-taps. I don't think I'm good enough to implement a "virtual cursor movement pad" or something like that which could work like the virtual keyboard but is only for mouse movement. So the only option I see is using the physical keyboard.
    Just beat the dig and I must say its a really fun game I highly enjoyed it. I recommend it to all of you. As for the new scummvm it works perfectly no beautifully. Thank you for doing this for the community!

-Toaster
    Typing "look"? I don't know ALL of the games which can be played in ScummVM. I usually play Lucasarts adventures with it and in these games you never type commands, you always click them. So if the game you are playing is played by typing commands then you have to live with it, I think. This is game-dependent and not ScummVM-dependent.
    --King's Quest games are an example of lots of typing... I want to finally beat KQ2... it was the first game that stomped me, at the point where you are trying to go through some poison bushes... I thought you had to be careful about where to walk and didn't learn until years later that there was something I needed to drink/eat instead

Yes, I agree. That would be nice. But it's not easy. The only way I see is mapping four keys (Like I, L, K and M) to it. But this conflicts with hotkeys defined by some games (Like opening the inventory with I). Or if you play games where you type full commands then you could no longer do this when I map these four keys to something different. Using a modifier key plus these four keys is also not nice because then you normally want to use both hands for pressing these shortcuts and this is just silly for a landscape application...

But I have one idea (Don't know if it is easy to implement though): It still requires the physical keyboard, but it is much easier to use: When the Shift-Key is pressed while touching the screen then no click is performed and instead only the mouse cursor is moved. Another goodie: The tap position could be completely ignored and only the finger movement is added to the current mouse pointer position. This allows movement of the mouse cursor without always resetting it to the tap position (Where your finger hides the mouse cursor). so this is similiar to the text cursor movement in WebOS. After you have positioned the mouse cursor you could press the enter key on the keyboard for left-clicking (Or meta-tap + Enter for right click). I know, this all involves using the physical keyboard but I'm out of options. Back- and forward gesture and meta-tap is already occupied. I even used two-finger-taps. I don't think I'm good enough to implement a "virtual cursor movement pad" or something like that which could work like the virtual keyboard but is only for mouse movement. So the only option I see is using the physical keyboard.
    --Using the physical keyboard is probably the way to go, but I agree with the problem with the keys... then again, maybe it can be solved by keymaps by the user. Some of these games have joystick support, so I wonder if there's a way to use the keys when the joystick is enabled and thus you can switch back and forth.

--Great port though
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    Amazing! Thank you for the updates!

PS: Any info on why my versions of some of the games have glitched out bottom? It is making it impossible for me to finally play through Sam and Max. =[

EDIT: Fixed in newest update! Amazing!
    kayahr - great progress here. Question that you may or may not be able to help with:
    In Beneath a Steel Sky, in order to access the inventory, you need to "move the mouse cursor to the top of the screen" and it should drop down like a drawer. Unfortunately, it looks like webos isn't able to get the cursor up far enough, for lack of a better explanation. Any ideas on how that's working here? Without it, the game's unplayable. Hopefully, I'm just doing something wrong
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beware View Post
    EDIT: Fixed in newest update! Amazing!
    Hm... I haven't changed anything which could affect graphics. So it sounds like a random problem to me. I never had any graphical glitches so I can't reproduce it, sorry. Have you tried the same game files with the PC version of ScummVM? If you have the same problems there then maybe your data files are corrupt or you have discovered a general ScummVM problem and you should ask at the ScummVM mailing list instead.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by zx3junglist View Post
    In Beneath a Steel Sky, in order to access the inventory, you need to "move the mouse cursor to the top of the screen" and it should drop down like a drawer.
    Yes, I already noticed that. And I think this could be fixed with the change I described previously: I could implement a special mouse pointer movement. Holding down the shift key while moving the finger on the screen could move the mouse cursor relative to its current position. So it doesn't matter WHERE you touch the screen you can steer the pointer wherever you want. In that way it is even possible to get the mouse cursor to the first pixel row and then the inventory will show up. It is still not nice to use because you have to open the physical keyboard for it but it's still better than not being able to play the game at all.
    Couldn't you Metatap + touch for right click and metatap + drag for the cursor behavior? Or perhaps map the cursor behavior to when you have two fingers on the screen at once? The latter would probably be a lot easier.
    this may be a stupid question, but... how do you quit a game and go back to the main scummvm interface (so i can launch another game)
    Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    this may be a stupid question, but... how do you quit a game and go back to the main scummvm interface (so i can launch another game)
    I haven't updated my desktop ScummVM in a while, but as far as I know it is not possible to switch games with ScummVM, once it has loaded up. I might be wrong, but that's what I remember.

So basically, if you want to switch the current game, restart ScummVM.

tea
    FM-Towns Indy 3 is all worth it to me!
    Yay, love Sam+Max and all that stuff! Thanks much!

Question: Would it be possible to have the Pre Volume Keys override the ScummVM settings? At this moment it is bit of a problem the volume keys and/or mute switch isn't working, would be very comfy to have those keys for the total volume.

/edit March 29: Seems this was a problem related to my Pre. Shortly after discovering this problem, the Pre went crazy and I had to reboot. The volume keys work now, while the ringer switch doesn't, but thats okay for me.
    Last edited by hux; 03/29/2010 at 10:02 AM.
    can we please get some controls for the games?? im seriously stuck on mine road in full thottle, how do you change weapons, it seems i randomlly have the weapon or not. When i right click by holding down the gesture area and tapping the screen it doesnt do anything.

In beneath a steel sky, the right click works, but how do you open up your inventory to use stuff?
    When i press the shift button on the keyboard and then i press V shift disappears so i cant even use the cheat to beat mine road.
    Last edited by gselsidi; 04/24/2010 at 06:21 PM.
    well, I can confirm the pixi compatibility, if nobody else has yet. It's my wife's favorite game, so I tried to load it on her Pixi. no good.

palm-install actually says that it installed ok, but it never actually shows up in the menus of the phone. must be some kind of preverification before the app manager recognizes it.

oh well. maybe a later version will give PDK to the pixi too?
    My ScummVM is not able to locate the games in the specified folder. Looking at the about screen, it says that there are no engines installed. I installed through preware. Help?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast