webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > The Ghastly Headset - for those of us with handsets stuck in headset mode!
The Ghastly Headset - for those of us with handsets stuck in headset mode!
Like Tree7Likes

Old 08/01/2011, 04:44 PM   #141 (permalink)

My son's Pre Plus developed this problem a few days ago - we took it to Verizon Wireless today to ask for help, and all they were able to do was remove the battery and reboot it, to no avail. Their advice was to find a replacement on eBay, activate an old phone, or upgrade to a different phone. No option to return for replacement under the extended warranty I've been paying for because of a small crack on the side that my son didn't even know was there. Came home to Google the problem, tried several solutions,, none of which worked. Then found the Ghastly Headset. Our first experience with homebrew - it worked like a charm! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
ktredshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2011, 03:02 PM   #142 (permalink)

does this still work i tried to download the link but it doesnt seem to be downloading as a pdk
sknnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2011, 09:14 PM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknnie View Post
does this still work i tried to download the link but it doesnt seem to be downloading as a pdk
Use this link
http://www.futurepr0n.com/depot/com...._0.0.2_all.ipk
Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
neville1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2011, 12:00 AM   #144 (permalink)

I just wanted to say this worked perfectly, and flawlessly for me!
Thanks so much!

Cheers,
~Ted
Old 12/04/2011, 08:49 PM   #145 (permalink)

Hi thanks a bunch, that worked.

But, I don't know if it's the same thing for you guys, but when i put loud speaker mode while calling, and if I switch it back to normal, it doesn't work again... is this normal I always have to pass by the Ghast Speaker?
M3Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 08:10 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santowl View Post
I finally read the instructions and now understand the error. I didn't have a headset plugged in! Once I plugged one in I tried again. I got it to change modes but it didn't fix the problem. I think I have it backwards anyway. All sounds function properly in all apps except when I put the phone up to my ear for a call, speaker phone works though.

I think it's a hardware issue because my power button has no spring in it and seems to be stuck. I'll try to exchange it tomorrow unless you want me to try other things.

I really don't think it's a hardware issue, cause I've been having the same problem on both the Pre- and my new Pre3. I thought on the Pre- it was because I dropped it so much.. but it happened on my Pre3 also!

I figured out it only does it on incoming calls. If I MAKE calls, the speaker AND the earpiece speaker works. BUT if someone calls me, only speakerphone works, they can't hear me and I can't hear them when I turn the speaker off and hold it up to my ear.

What is going on?? Do you think it might be a conflicting patch or homebrew app that is messing with the earpiece speaker?
imjustagirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2012, 05:02 PM   #147 (permalink)
r9s

Can you write a patch that will set phone always in "Front Speaker" for Phone Mode and always "Headset Mode" for Media Mode? This would be really usefull to me. Thanks.
Old 04/08/2012, 07:02 PM   #148 (permalink)

A possibly related FYI -- don't have prior forum link handy. A trick I've used before with my Pre+: put some WD40 on your headphone jack, put the headphone in the Pre, wiggle, remove & repeat. Eventually the stuck sensor trips.

Good luck
cmahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2012, 08:17 PM   #149 (permalink)

I used the tip of sanding some pencil lead and pouring it into the mic hole and then plunging the headphone jack in and out several times until it became unstuck. I made sure to turn it upside down at the end of the procedure to make sure the excess spilled out. Haven't had a problem for many weeks since.
mcdunnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2012, 03:20 PM   #150 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
I can confirm that wiggling the headset jack unit causes the phone mode to switch from speaker to headset and back again (watching it in ghastly headset). Also causes the screen to turn on.

THANK YOU for posting this

EDIT: borrowed a picture from ifixit to help illustrate

Click to view quoted image
I've solve the problem with Ghastly (phone thought headset was plugged in, nor would the mic work in speakerphone mode).

I'm glad that I read the thread through because I ended up trying the test with the audio jack unit and, just as a previous poster noted, I saw the mode go from headset to speaker on Ghastly. (the test involved my fingernail exerting pressure instead of a piece of plastic, to keep the unit stable as I inserted & removed the headset jack).

Will put piece of plastic pronto!

*This* is what I love about this community!

Last edited by rayraypre; 05/14/2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: grammar
rayraypre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2012, 02:54 AM   #151 (permalink)
Homebrew Supporter

NEW BUG?

A few days ago, The Ghastly Headset stopped working consistently. You can in the screenshot the error message that popups up when it refuses to change modes, and sometimes it says one mode when in reality the hardware is being forced into the opposite mode.

Rebooting hasn't helped, and the only change I've made to my phone that seems to correspond somewhat to the timing of the new bug is that I used Preware to update to the latest Google Maps app a few days ago.

I just uninstalled TGH and I'm going to try reinstalling it.

[Edit:] I forgot to mention that I have a Pre2, WebOS 2.2.4
Attached Images
File Type: png theghastlyheadset_2012-21-05_072905.png (43.7 KB, 47 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by jshare; 05/22/2012 at 02:47 AM.
jshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2012, 09:42 AM   #152 (permalink)

just found this: http://www.futurepr0n.com/depot/com...._0.0.2_all.ipk

THANK YOU anyway =)

I'll try to install it and continue using this awesome little marvel.
grodenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2012, 02:55 PM   #153 (permalink)

Is this app still available? I couldn't grab it from the link above and no longer find it on Preware.
Convert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2012, 07:54 AM   #154 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Attached
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 72ka, radiusxx, steinhage
Old 06/10/2012, 11:21 PM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Attached
Thanks!
Convert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2012, 10:05 AM   #156 (permalink)

Hello,
Thank you for the fix... but the links are 404 errors, and I can't find a link to download the fix.
And
I wouldn't know how to get the app installed IF I found it and downloaded it anyway.

The old rock and hard place.

ANY one know where and how? Please
infowaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2012, 06:12 PM   #157 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

See my post a bit up, I attached it there
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 11:34 PM   #158 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neville View Post
Hey Guys,

I need some beta testers to test 0.0.1 of my new app, The Ghastly Headset. I've posted most of the info on my blog, but I'll copy and paste the meat of it.

This application will NOT be available on preware/filecoaster until I can confirm it works as designed. In order to do that, I need some people to test it!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
futurepr0n | webOS Application: The Ghastly Headset BETA

Note: There is an outstanding bug that will cause the phone audio mode to revert back to headset mode after making a call. I have no been able to pinpoint why it's doing this and my effort to counteract this behaviour have not been successful. As a result, I've ceased all development on this app and decided not to publish a half-working solution to preware.

If you're one of the many (including me) who struggle daily with having their phones get stuck in headset mode, this may be your lucky day. After a final frustrating encounter with this problem, which required me to once again clean out the headset with alcohol, I decided to do something about it. Long story short, I created an app.

The Ghastly Headset (derived from the fact the Pre thinks there's a headset that isn't there... a ghost headset) is fairly limited and approximately 3 hours in its infancy. It has three main functions:
  1. Show the current audio mode (either speaker, headset or headset w/ mic)
  2. Force headset mode
  3. Force speaker mode
I've tested the application and the forcing of the audio seems to persist across applications (thank god), however I'm unable to fully test with a stuck Pre because I just fixed mine! So that's where I need you, loyal beta testers. I need people with stuck Pre handsets to see if forcing speaker mode will actually work. Toggling the headset (if it's not stuck) will reset the audio mode to whichever you want it to be.

note: you CANNOT force headset mode with no headset plugged in, it will report an error and fail. Sorry!

Update v.0.0.2
- Added phone audio support. You can now toggle between headset and front-speaker mode. Check out the above blog post link for more info.
----------------------------------------------------

Download here and install via WebOS QI:
http://futurepr0n.com/file.axd?file=..._0.0.2_all.ipk

Direct Link:
http://www.futurepr0n.com/depot/com...._0.0.2_all.ipk

Tried downloading this app but says it is no longer available.
jetruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 12:00 AM   #159 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Tried downloading this app but says it is no longer available.
Search for my post in this topic, I attached it there.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 06/20/2013, 11:00 AM   #160 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Attached
Thanksss..
Reza Dharma Nugraha is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0