webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > The Ghastly Headset - for those of us with handsets stuck in headset mode!
The Ghastly Headset - for those of us with handsets stuck in headset mode!
Like Tree7Likes

Old 05/26/2010, 05:48 AM   #41 (permalink)

Holy mackerel! Thats silliest bug Ive ever heard of.

But to the topic - app can help till first call (even though thx for it). I actually solved it by wet cleaning headphone jack.
tr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2010, 03:00 PM   #42 (permalink)

Hi there,

Never installed any homebrew apps on my phone before, but I just encountered the phantom headset issue last night for the first time since buying my pre (back in Sept 09). Blowing in/on/above the headphone port works only temporarily and is flaky - i.e. I may be in mid-conversation and without any warning or initiation, it'll switch back to headset mode... annoying.

Before I begin my notes:
Phone: Palm Pre model P100EWW
OS Version: 1.4.1.1
Service: Sprint 2.4
First-time Homebrew installer as of 2 days ago- Ghastly headset is my first and only homebrew app on my phone.
Headset issues showed up for the very first time 2 days ago as well after having owned the phone since Sept. 2009.

I've installed the app and here's what I've found:

My 1st RECEIVED call after starting the app, forcing PHONE SPEAKER mode, and closing the app worked just fine.

For my 1st RECEIVED call after starting the app, forcing PHONE SPEAKER mode, and leaving it open, the app went back to HEADSET mode after the call had been completed. My 2nd RECEIVED call without closing the Ghastly app or forcing back into PHONE SPEAKER mode resulted in it immediately going into HEADSET mode. I didn't change anything in the app again, still leaving it open and my 3rd RECEIVED call remained in HEADSET mode as well. For those 2nd & 3rd calls, the Ghastly app read: HEADSET as the default mode even though I left it open and forced PHONE SPEAKER mode for the very 1st incoming call.

My 1st OUTGOING call after starting the app, forcing the PHONE SPEAKER mode, and *closing* the app worked fine, UNTIL I tried to click into SPEAKERPHONE mode through the dialpad card. When I pressed it once during the call, it went to HEADSET mode, then I pressed the speakerphone button again and it went to SPEAKERPHONE. But when I pressed the speakerphone button for the 3rd time, it went back to HEADSET mode, and never returned to regular PHONE SPEAKER mode... it just switched endlessly between SPEAKERPHONE and HEADSET modes. All following OUTGOING calls were then in HEADSET mode, pretty much like you explained.

This speakerphone button issue was also the same for any and all RECEIEVED calls as well... seems like when you press that SPEAKERPHONE button on the dialpad card, it resorts back to HEADSET no matter what.

I tried the same thing I described above leaving the Ghastly app *open* after forcing PHONE SPEAKER mode, and the same thing happened- it kept it in PHONE SPEAKER until I messed with the SPEAKERPHONE button and resorted back to HEADSET/SPEAKERPHONE toggling.

While I messed with the speakerphone button and the Ghastly app was open, I noticed the app card did not register that the sound had changed back and forth between HEADSET and SPEAKERPHONE. It wasn't until I ended the call by hanging up that the Ghastly app defaulted the phone back to HEADSET mode on the Ghastly card.

As far as music media is concerned, there seems to be no issues with the media speaker switching on/off while using music apps: Pandora, Radiotime, and the generic Palm music app regardless of whether the Ghastly app is open or closed. So, this is successful. Perhaps there is a way to apply this coding to the phone speaker somehow?

One weird bug though... since I've loaded the app, it has made the large clock and black faded outline disappear when the phone is in "locked" mode. All that shows up is the "unlock" icon.

Thank you for your work on this and hopefully these notes help (I tried to make them as clear as possible so as not to confuse terminology or anything)!

-Vaness
viscera_lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2010, 11:27 PM   #43 (permalink)

lifesaver...I have no problem leaving it open and resetting it to headset after each call. Finally, a workaround for this. I have not been able to unstick my headset jack using any of the various methods.
woodmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2010, 07:22 AM   #44 (permalink)

Godlike app! thanks a lot! without any problems and really made my day!
nicolodien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2010, 08:46 PM   #45 (permalink)

This is a much appreciated application.
suzyQt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2010, 09:10 PM   #46 (permalink)

where the heck is it,,lol
zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2010, 02:02 PM   #47 (permalink)

A few updates since my earlier post... maybe 3 more days after I loaded your app on my phone, the clock and fading black background reappeared when my phone goes into lockdown mode. Hasn't been an issue since.

Also, at the end of May, beginning of June-ish, I suppose I had switched the app to be in PHONE SPEAKER mode and closed the app for the moment... but since then (so about a week and a half now), my phone has remained in PHONE SPEAKER mode! I've had numerous incoming and outgoing calls and have had no issues switching between SPEAKER and PHONE SPEAKER on the dialpad card as I previously posted... it just returned to PHONE SPEAKER if I toggled SPEAKER off as it should! I haven't even opened the app in a week and a half, with the exception of just now to see what mode it was in and sure enough, it reads: FRONT SPEAKER.

So.... I guess it just takes some getting used to once it's loaded? Cause now my phone is working wonderfully, just as it did before I had any headset issues! I have no idea of how it just magically started working again... so I can't even say if it's that the phone fixed itself or your app fixed my phone... but I'm not going to uninstall it just incase it reverts back to being HEADSET only. I've even used my headphones to listen to music since it started working indefinitely again and still no issues or reverting back to HEADSET only mode.

Thank you, and I hope these notes help!
viscera_lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2010, 09:35 AM   #48 (permalink)

is there any way to install via Preware or filecoaster? I found the link in the OP, but filecoaster gives 'install error' on that and the app does not appear in Preware....would like to try this app b4 doctoring and am at work all day.
Bigfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2010, 02:57 PM   #49 (permalink)

This saved me a lot of time and frustration, thank you so much!
rwhiz8577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/2010, 05:32 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
I had the "stuck in headphone mode" issue a few months back too. The problem is that the open port allows dust/debris to enter and slow/stop the trip mechanism that switches the phone into "headphone mode" when you install the headphone plug into the jack. While alcohol does clean out the jack, I found something that worked better for me. What I did was take some WD40 and lighty spray some on the tip of the headphone plug and insert it into the headphone jack, then I removed it and cleaned it with a cloth. I repeated this procedure a few more times and this solved the problem for me. Am I suggesting that you take the nozzle of the spray can and spray directly in the headphone jack, NO! I don't know, maybe this might work for you. I did this a few months ago and have yet had this problem reappear.
Worked for me, no issues since. Thanks netwrkr9.
shonufbumpin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2010, 08:38 PM   #51 (permalink)

Any chance of getting a direct link to this ipk so it could be installed via filecoaster? The Pre doesn't seem to like the "file.axd?file=blah" part and only downloads the file.axd file from that link..
jants13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2010, 11:16 AM   #52 (permalink)

this is cool
22350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2010, 12:53 PM   #53 (permalink)

Awesome work, this is exactly what I was looking for. May also try the WD40 method described to see if I can just get it to automatically work. Thanks a bunch (thanks added)

Last edited by staeit; 06/29/2010 at 12:58 PM.
staeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2010, 10:18 AM   #54 (permalink)

I notice the OP now says install via Preware but I can't find it on Preware...I wonder if you meant WOSQI? And by any chance is this AUPT safe?
davidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2010, 10:32 AM   #55 (permalink)

should be aupt safe afaik. I remember I installed manually, not through preware
woodmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2010, 03:29 PM   #56 (permalink)

According to Rod, this has not been submitted yet to Preware. Are there plans to do so?
Old 07/14/2010, 03:40 PM   #57 (permalink)

Sorry for the delayed response...

I was planning on getting this working 100% before submitting it to a feed (preware or precentral). Unfortunately, I was never able to fix the problem with the audio mode auto-reverting back to where it was before.

I don't want to load up the homebrew feed with half-working solutions so I opted not to add it and continue working on other apps (that you will see in the official catalog soon).

If you guys really want me to, I can upload it. But I strongly suspect it will just cause people to ask for changes that I'm not willing to do!
Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
neville1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2010, 04:10 PM   #58 (permalink)

This looks great. I was about to return the handset to the reseller when I saw your post. Will give it a try and hope the nasty problem will disappear.
loxpanpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2010, 06:04 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neville View Post
Sorry for the delayed response...

I was planning on getting this working 100% before submitting it to a feed (preware or precentral). Unfortunately, I was never able to fix the problem with the audio mode auto-reverting back to where it was before.

I don't want to load up the homebrew feed with half-working solutions so I opted not to add it and continue working on other apps (that you will see in the official catalog soon).

If you guys really want me to, I can upload it. But I strongly suspect it will just cause people to ask for changes that I'm not willing to do!

OK, thanks for the clarification. This could be a very useful app; it certainly would make me more comfortable using the jack, and the old PalmOS had several options for this. I'm surprised nobody has come up with this, other than you, but I appreciate your efforts.
Old 07/15/2010, 07:09 PM   #60 (permalink)

PLEASE send this to me!!!!
This drives me crazy!!!! I am stuck right now in headset mode, its been over a week and tried every trick in the book, nothing is working, its really stuck this time!
gsonspre is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0