Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This program is a unit converter for webOS. It supports various categories including area, length, mass, pressure, speed, temperature and volume.

Link
    App page in precentral: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/unit-converter
    Source code: http://unitcvt.codeplex.com/

You can install this software using Preware.

Changelists

• Add power and acceleration (thanks KBerger)
    • Add angstrom, slug and rankie to length, mass and temperature, respectively
    • Add density, plane angle and fuel economy
    • Fix the symbol for kg (mass) (thanks KBerger)

• Add light-related conversions (non-SI)

• Add force and torque
    • Use three different icons based on their source (in the heart scene)

• Correct tlho'ren (now, 1 tlho'ren = 0.973 liter or 1.028 quarts)
    • Add three variations of pint and quart to the Volume category
    • Add several bit, ..., Tbit, TB to the Information category

• Now, it prints only three digits after the decimal point.
    • It allows users to make some units invisible. One can do this at the "reordering" scene (heart icon); there are two lists: one for visible units and the other for invisible units. Drag a unit horizontally to delete the unit from one list; then, that unit will appear in the other list.
    • The menu at the top has left and right arrows.
    • Several klingon units were added.
    • A few subtle bugs were fixed.

Features
    This program converts the typed value in a unit into all other units in the same category. You don't need to select "From" unit and "To" unit. Just tap the source unit from the list, and type numbers. Then, values in all other units will appear in the same list, as you type.

This program supports the following units:
    • length: meter, foot, inch, mile, yard, AU, etc.
    • area: square meter, acre, hectare, square foot, square inch, square mile, square yard, etc.
    • volume: cubic meter, barrel, cubic foot, cubic inch, cubic mile, cubic yard, cup, ounce, gallon, liter, tablespoon, teaspoon, etc.
    • mass: kg, ounce, pound, etc.
    • time: second, minute, hour, day, week, year, etc.
    • speed: m/s, mph, knot, light speed, etc.
    • pressure: pascal, bar, psi, etc.
    • energy: joule, btu, calorie, ev, etc.
    • force: newton, kgf, lbf, ozf, etc.
    • torque: Nm, ft lbf, in lbf, m kg, etc.
    • temperature: kelvin, Celsius, Fahrenheit
    • information: bit, byte, etc.

Also, a few local units and klingon units were added in version 1.0.1.

Future works
    All conversions are based on tables in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_of_units, but some conversions are not exact, because this program just uses floating point values for conversion. If I have time and others really want, I’ll consider more accurate conversion.

License
    This program is licensed under the GPLv3.

You can access the source code from Unit Converter for webOS

If you want to show your appreciation by donation, please let me know

Motivation
    I grew up with SI units such as meter, kilogram, liter. Now that I moved to U.S. where mile, pound and ounce are used, the trouble began. Still, I have hard time converting units, and I began to rely on unit converters in my pre.

Perhaps, I’m little bit unique. I used to use a few converters, but I thought I need a unit converter with a different interface. For example, I want to skip the tedious procedure for choosing “From” unit and “To” unit because I have to change them very frequently. For example, I need to frequently switch among inch to centimeter mode, foot to meter mode, and mile to kilometer mode.

Instead of having two selectors and textboxes, this program has one list where each list item corresponds to one unit. While the value in any unit is being typed, values in all other units are updated on-the-fly. I think this can save several finger movements, at least in my experience.

Hope you enjoy my software!
    Last edited by linjus; 07/26/2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: 1.0.3
    Works good, but you really should round the numbers to 2 decimal places or so.
    Also I wish the Selector on the top was 100% wide, would probably look better.
    Can you implement reordering unit rows without the additional scene?
    Other than it works pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by linjus View Post
    I grew up with SI units such as meter, kilogram, liter. Now that I moved to U.S. where mile, pound and ounce are used, the trouble began. Still, I have hard time converting units, and I began to rely on unit converters in my pre.
    Just spread the metric love, it's about time they start using decent units
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Me Likey. I wish I had thought of it.

1. I vote for a preference to round down to 2 decimal places.
    2. I would like to have the option to remove some of the conversions.
    3. Be able to reorder on the conversion page and not just from the heart page.

Nice job.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by roar View Post
    Works good, but you really should round the numbers to 2 decimal places or so.
    Also I wish the Selector on the top was 100% wide, would probably look better.
    Can you implement reordering unit rows without the additional scene?
    Other than it works pretty good.
    • Rounding the numbers is not hard to implement. I'll consider it in the next version.
    • Making the selector wider is easy to implement, and I agree with you. Also, it will be easier to tap the selector. I'll modify it.
    • Reordering units without additional scene was not easy, but I'll put this thing in my todo list. Currently, the main scene is not implemented using a List control; they are just a list of TextFields. To support reordering among TextFields, it seems that I have to handle several events such as dragging, which is not trivial. Using a List control instead of TextFields was not a good idea either because I cannot fully control each list item.

Quote Originally Posted by roar View Post
    Just spread the metric love, it's about time they start using decent units
    I'll do my best
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky **** View Post
    Me Likey. I wish I had thought of it.

1. I vote for a preference to round down to 2 decimal places.
    2. I would like to have the option to remove some of the conversions.
    3. Be able to reorder on the conversion page and not just from the heart page.

Nice job.
    I'll consider the 1st and the 3rd suggestions. As I stated in the reply to roar, the 1st suggestion is not hard, but the 3rd suggestion seems hard as of my best knowledge. I'll try to find a good solution, though.

Actually, I have thought about the 2nd suggestion because there are too many units in some categories. I thought having a special "separator" unit in the "heart" (reordering) scene, and only units above that "separator" appear in the main scene. By reordering units and relocating that "separator", users can remove some units.

The only reason why I didn't do this is because the "separator" may confuse some users. Also, if the user does not scroll down at the main scene, they will not see other units; so, they can ignore other units. It seems converting all unnecessary units does not make this program very slow; so, I was fine with this.

I also thought that it would be nice if the "heart" scene has a checkbox for each list item so that the user can remove unnecessary units. However, I worried that too narrow space would remain for unit names if I put a checkbox.

I'll think it over, anyway.
    Great program BUT one minor problem. Miles to KM conversion is incorrect. 5 Miles should cover to exactly 8 KM. That's the ratio between the two. However, the application provides different values. This makes me wonder how many other conversions are incorrect and whether the application is infact reliable
    Quote Originally Posted by jean001luc View Post
    Great program BUT one minor problem. Miles to KM conversion is incorrect. 5 Miles should cover to exactly 8 KM. That's the ratio between the two. However, the application provides different values. This makes me wonder how many other conversions are incorrect and whether the application is infact reliable
    5 miles is not EXACTLY 8 Km, it's as close as makes no difference in most situations, hence you usually hear it said like it's a fact, but it's actually 8.04672 to 5 decimal places
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jean001luc View Post
    As hobsgrg replied, 5 miles is not 8 km. All conversions (except 2 units) are based on Conversion of units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and the table shows that.

I'm not sure if I typed all equations without any mistakes, but I believe most of them are correct. If you find anything wrong, please let me know.

In the description, I said "some conversions are not exact, because this program just uses floating point values for conversion". I guess this may mislead users, but that inaccuracy does not make this significant difference. That inaccuracy matters only when they need 7th or 8th number.
    Very nice. I've tried out every free converter that's popped up, and this one somehow manages to feel better.
    Can't wait to see what you do with it.

webOS Developer
    Alright. I downloaded the code and attempted to add measurements of my own, and failed.
    There's a reason I use apps like this.

So I'm going to list the measurements and equivalents that I have in hopes that someone can help.

1 qelI'qam = 2 km

1 loghqam = 1.25 light years

1 cheb = 2.25kg = 5lbs

1 'uj = 34.83cm = 13.71''

1 tlho'ren = 486.5882365 ml = 16.4535057 fl oz

Thanks.

webOS Developer
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post
    Alright. I downloaded the code and attempted to add measurements of my own, and failed.
    There's a reason I use apps like this.

So I'm going to list the measurements and equivalents that I have in hopes that someone can help.

1 qelI'qam = 2 km

1 loghqam = 1.25 light years

1 cheb = 2.25kg = 5lbs

1 'uj = 34.83cm = 13.71''

1 tlho'ren = 486.5882365 ml = 16.4535057 fl oz

Thanks.
    I'm willing to add those units, but could you please give me more detailed information. As you can see from the program, unit's name, symbol and URL are also used in the program. I think I can search using google, but I think you can find better source than I can. Could you give me that information for each unit?

BTW, I'm afraid that I may not be able to work on this program until March 15, as I have a deadline on that day. After that deadline, I'll add them.
    I'm willing to add those units, but could you please give me more detailed information. As you can see from the program, unit's name, symbol and URL are also used in the program. I think I can search using google, but I think you can find better source than I can. Could you give me that information for each unit?

BTW, I'm afraid that I may not be able to work on this program until March 15, as I have a deadline on that day. After that deadline, I'll add them.
    https://65.13.120.12/tlhIngan/cheb-uj.htm

juvmeH 'op - tlhIngan Hol

These will be the best sources for info.
    Should include everything but tlho'ren, which doesn't have an exact conversion, so I approximated the one above. Should be close enough for most purposes.

webOS Developer
  13.    #13  
    https://65.13.120.12/tlhIngan/cheb-uj.htm

juvmeH 'op - tlhIngan Hol

These will be the best sources for info.
    Should include everything but tlho'ren, which doesn't have an exact conversion, so I approximated the one above. Should be close enough for most purposes.
    I just added above units, but it seems two equations you put here are different than what the above URL gave.

1. 1 cheb = 2.27 kg (not 2.25 kg)
    2. 1 tlho'ren = (about) 1 l (not 486.5882365 ml)

I think I can upload the new version by today.
    I just added above units, but it seems two equations you put here are different than what the above URL gave.

1. 1 cheb = 2.27 kg (not 2.25 kg)
    2. 1 tlho'ren = (about) 1 l (not 486.5882365 ml)

I think I can upload the new version by today.
    The wikia site is wrong. The first site has the correct info.
    1 cheb does indeed = 2.25 kg

I will double check the tlho'ren conversion.

webOS Developer
  15.    #15  
    The wikia site is wrong. The first site has the correct info.
    1 cheb does indeed = 2.25 kg

I will double check the tlho'ren conversion.
    But, it seems 5 lb is 2.27 kg, not 2.25 kg, as the following URL says:
    How much is 5 lbs in kilos? - True Knowledge

I know the unit "pound" has many variations, but I'm not sure. Could you please double-check?
    But, it seems 5 lb is 2.27 kg, not 2.25 kg, as the following URL says:
    How much is 5 lbs in kilos? - True Knowledge

I know the unit "pound" has many variations, but I'm not sure. Could you please double-check?
    It equals 4.96 pounds.

webOS Developer
  17.    #17  
    It equals 4.96 pounds.
    Ok. I modified. Also, I just submitted a new version (1.0.1) to precentral. I have not modified tlho'ren, yet. If you find out that that unit is not equal to 1 l, please let me know. I promise I'll fix it in a few days.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Unit requests: In the 'Information' section, please add:
    Kilobits
    Megabits
    Gigabits
    Terabytes
    Terabits
    There's also exa-, peta-, but they don't get as much use...yet.

Thanks!
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    Ok. I modified. Also, I just submitted a new version (1.0.1) to precentral. I have not modified tlho'ren, yet. If you find out that that unit is not equal to 1 l, please let me know. I promise I'll fix it in a few days.
    Alright. 1 tlho'ren = 0.973 liter or 1.028 quarts.
    I have no idea where that other number came from.

webOS Developer
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    Unit requests: In the 'Information' section, please add:
    Kilobits
    Megabits
    Gigabits
    Terabytes
    Terabits
    There's also exa-, peta-, but they don't get as much use...yet.

Thanks!
    I added up everything up to Tera-. I'll add other units later. Try 1.0.2!

BTW, all prefixes are based on the binary representation, not decimal. I think this is useful for computer-related things, but I'm not sure if others feel this is natural. If you think I'm unique, just let me know. I'll consider the decimal prefixes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast